NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VIII: Augustine's Revenge.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
36%
Eastern Orthodox
9%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
5%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Methodist
4%
Baptist
9%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
7%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 745

Venerable Bede
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:50 am

Gim wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:Agar.

Hagar is a prostitute with whom Abraham had sexual relations to try and have a child. God reassured Abraham that he would have a child with Sarah, but Abraham didn't believe him and had sex with Hagar.
Hagar bore Ishmael, and both were banished.

She wasn't a prostitute, she was his servant, and he had a child by her because Sarah urged it. They were banished because Agar started looking her nose down at Sarah due to her having the child, so Sarah became jealous and asked Abraham to kick her and Ishmael out; God told him to just say okay, even though Abraham felt it was wrong; God then looked out for Agar and Ishmael.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:13 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Gim wrote:
Hagar is a prostitute with whom Abraham had sexual relations to try and have a child. God reassured Abraham that he would have a child with Sarah, but Abraham didn't believe him and had sex with Hagar.
Hagar bore Ishmael, and both were banished.

She wasn't a prostitute, she was his servant, and he had a child by her because Sarah urged it. They were banished because Agar started looking her nose down at Sarah due to her having the child, so Sarah became jealous and asked Abraham to kick her and Ishmael out; God told him to just say okay, even though Abraham felt it was wrong; God then looked out for Agar and Ishmael.

Sarah urged him, but Abraham accepted her suggestion, so they both sinned, causing the mother and the child to be exiled.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:30 am

Gim wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:She wasn't a prostitute, she was his servant, and he had a child by her because Sarah urged it. They were banished because Agar started looking her nose down at Sarah due to her having the child, so Sarah became jealous and asked Abraham to kick her and Ishmael out; God told him to just say okay, even though Abraham felt it was wrong; God then looked out for Agar and Ishmael.

Sarah urged him, but Abraham accepted her suggestion, so they both sinned, causing the mother and the child to be exiled.

The mother and child were exiled only to appease Sarah.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. (Ecclesiastes 7:4)
A sacrifice to God is a brokenspirit; a broken and humbled heart God will not despise. (Psalm 50:19--Orthodox, Protestant 51:19)
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)
And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? (Luke 12:13-14)

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Gim wrote:Sarah urged him, but Abraham accepted her suggestion, so they both sinned, causing the mother and the child to be exiled.

The mother and child were exiled only to appease Sarah.

Sarah is responsible, but also Abraham. Since the child was born out of sinful act, he was banished. Thus, the child was out of sight of God and established a new pseudo-christian kind of religion.

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:59 am

Gim wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:The mother and child were exiled only to appease Sarah.

Sarah is responsible, but also Abraham. Since the child was born out of sinful act, he was banished. Thus, the child was out of sight of God and established a new pseudo-christian kind of religion.

Ishmael did not start Islam.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:03 am

Jamzmania wrote:
Gim wrote:

Ishmael did not start Islam.

Mohammed Ali is a descendant of Ishmael.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:19 am

Gim wrote:
Jamzmania wrote:Ishmael did not start Islam.

Muhammad Ali is a professional boxer. You're mistaking him with a man simply named Muhammad.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Gim
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:19 am

Dylar wrote:
Gim wrote:

Muhammad Ali is a professional boxer. You're mistaking him with a man simply named Muhammad.

Yeah. Muhammad.

United Indochina
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Indochina » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:53 am

Not to derail the discussion too much, but are there any other Eastern Catholics here?

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:58 am

Gim wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:The mother and child were exiled only to appease Sarah.

God did not establish Islam. Do you really think God would establish a religion that explicitly teaches Christ is not the Son of God, that we are not made in God's image, and that the Crucifixion and Resurrection are lies?
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:01 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Gim wrote:

God did not establish Islam. Do you really think God would establish a religion that explicitly teaches Christ is not the Son of God, that we are not made in God's image, and that the Crucifixion and Resurrection are lies?

I don't see why not

he never suggested to the jews that he had a son who was on his way to fix their being banned from heaven
whatever

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 am

United Indochina wrote:Not to derail the discussion too much, but are there any other Eastern Catholics here?

Are there any post-uniate East Catholic saints with high quality spiritual writings? Who is the Theophan the Recluse of EC's, for instance?
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:God did not establish Islam. Do you really think God would establish a religion that explicitly teaches Christ is not the Son of God, that we are not made in God's image, and that the Crucifixion and Resurrection are lies?

I don't see why not

he never suggested to the jews that he had a son who was on his way to fix their being banned from heaven

Mm, yes he did, both in the prophets and in Christ himself. He certainly didn't teach them explicitly that Christ's doctrine is a lie. God doesn't found false religions.
Last edited by Venerable Bede on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:I don't see why not

Mm, yes he act did, both in the prophets and in Christ himself. He certainly didn't them explicitly that Christ doctrine is a lie. God doesn't found false religions.

my point is, no he didn't, and that leaving shit out is par for the course, it seems for this god.

his lack of informing the jews that he had a son and that they should expect him to show up as a normal man has left millions out of the Christian fold. he was a trinity the whole time and yet let the jews think he was one god in one.

there is no reason why he wouldn't do the same shit to Christians when he decided to bring in mohammed.
whatever

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:Mm, yes he act did, both in the prophets and in Christ himself. He certainly didn't them explicitly that Christ doctrine is a lie. God doesn't found false religions.

my point is, no he didn't, and that leaving shit out is par for the course, it seems for this god.

his lack of informing the jews that he had a son and that they should expect him to show up as a normal man has left millions out of the Christian fold. he was a trinity the whole time and yet let the jews think he was one god in one.

there is no reason why he wouldn't do the same shit to Christians when he decided to bring in mohammed.

Islam teaches explicitly that the Scriptures are incorrect, whereas Christ appealed to the Scriptures in condemning the Pharisees (the founders of current Judaism).
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:12 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:my point is, no he didn't, and that leaving shit out is par for the course, it seems for this god.

Islam teaches explicitly that the Scriptures are incorrect, whereas Christ appealed to the Scriptures in condemning the Pharisees (the founders of current Judaism).

that doesn't matter.

the evidence is that god has no trouble lying to his people.

that doesn't mean that islam is correct it just means that you cant call it wrong on the basis of "god wouldn't do that"

hes already done it to the jews.
whatever

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:15 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:Islam teaches explicitly that the Scriptures are incorrect, whereas Christ appealed to the Scriptures in condemning the Pharisees (the founders of current Judaism).

that doesn't matter.

that doesn't mean that islam is correct it just means that you cant call it wrong on the basis of "god wouldn't do that"

God didn't lie to his people, the Pharisees did. God literally came down and called them on it, and used his word to substantiate it, and so they killed him.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:16 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:that doesn't matter.

God didn't lie to his people, the Pharisees did. God literally came down and called them on it, and used his word to substantiate it, and so they killed him.

no

that was thousands of years later.

he never ever told the jews --and they had plenty of prophets--that he was a trinity and had a son.
whatever

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:25 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:that doesn't matter.

"Son of God" and "mighty God, the Prince of peace, " as terms for the Messiah are both in OT, and Genesis 18 overtly depicts God as Triune. Proverbs 8 and 9 clearly illustrate God's Wisdom (identified as Christ in the NT) as distinct from the Father, yet still divine, and in Isaiah God talks about sending his Word into the world almost as a person to accomplish his will, and God's Spirit is regularly spoken of in a distinct way.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:God didn't lie to his people, the Pharisees did. God literally came down and called them on it, and used his word to substantiate it, and so they killed him.

"Son of God" and "mighty God, the Prince of peace, " as terms for the Messiah are both in OT, and Genesis 18 overtly depicts God as Triune. Proverbs 8 and 9 clearly illustrate God's Wisdom (identified as Christ in the NT) as distinct from the Father, yet still divine, and in Isaiah God talks about sending his Word into the world almost as a person to accomplish his will, and God's Spirit is regularly spoken of in a distinct way.

if youre a Christian

if you are a jew it means none of that.

its all later Christian interpretation guided by believe in jesus.
whatever

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:38 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:"Son of God" and "mighty God, the Prince of peace, " as terms for the Messiah are both in OT, and Genesis 18 overtly depicts God as Triune. Proverbs 8 and 9 clearly illustrate God's Wisdom (identified as Christ in the NT) as distinct from the Father, yet still divine, and in Isaiah God talks about sending his Word into the world almost as a person to accomplish his will, and God's Spirit is regularly spoken of in a distinct way.

if youre a Christian

If you're a modern Jew at least. Let's not forget that many, many Jews became Christians.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 am

Jamzmania wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
if youre a Christian

If you're a modern Jew at least. Let's not forget that many, many Jews became Christians.

some did.

its probably hard to tell now since there was all that massacring by the romans then the diaspora
whatever

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:"Son of God" and "mighty God, the Prince of peace, " as terms for the Messiah are both in OT, and Genesis 18 overtly depicts God as Triune. Proverbs 8 and 9 clearly illustrate God's Wisdom (identified as Christ in the NT) as distinct from the Father, yet still divine, and in Isaiah God talks about sending his Word into the world almost as a person to accomplish his will, and God's Spirit is regularly spoken of in a distinct way.

if youre a Christian

All later Jewish interpretations are also guided by denial of him. For instance, Jews started teaching that God's use of plural pronouns in referring to himself (let us make man in our image) is him talking to his angels; this reading was developed simply to counter Trinitarin readings, but that would mean the angels were co-creators with YHWH, which is not proper.
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:47 am

Venerable Bede wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
if youre a Christian

All later Jewish interpretations are also guided by denial of him. For instance, Jews started teaching that God's use of plural pronouns in referring to himself (let us make man in our image) is him talking to his angels; this reading was developed simply to counter Trinitarin readings, but that would mean the angels were co-creators with YHWH, which is not proper.

they didn't need to explain it before then, did they? they all knew they worshipped one god in one.
whatever

Venerable Bede
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Venerable Bede » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Venerable Bede wrote:All later Jewish interpretations are also guided by denial of him. For instance, Jews started teaching that God's use of plural pronouns in referring to himself (let us make man in our image) is him talking to his angels; this reading was developed simply to counter Trinitarin readings, but that would mean the angels were co-creators with YHWH, which is not proper.

they didn't need to explain it before then, did they? they all knew they worshipped one god in one.

They didn't explain a whole ton of things, but Christianity did, and so counter explanations were developed by the Pharisees .
Orthodox Christian
The Path to Salvation
The Way of a Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General