NATION

PASSWORD

The Sixties Scoop

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nusaresa
Minister

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:42 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
No one is forcing you to apologize.

Not forced; usually expected however.

It's the government that is doing it.
Minzerland II wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Societal pressure forces us to.

Then you're basically Kowtowing to societal pressure, which is worse than begging forgiveness to a native child that is an orphan.

It's acknowledging that there was a mistake done in the first place, that is as far as it should go for the common person. The government is responsible for the reconciliation efforts.
Last edited by Nusaresa on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

confirmed yandere bishounen
Climate Change needs to stop being a partisan issue

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:46 am

Nusaresa wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

We have "National Sorry Day", as far as I know it is intended for the Government to apologise, Social pressures result in the Non-Indigenous populace (Usually the White population) being expected to apologise for deeds of which they played no part in committing.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:48 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:It's the government that is doing it.

We have "National Sorry Day", as far as I know it is intended for the Government to apologise, Social pressures result in the Non-Indigenous populace (Usually the White population) being expected to apologise for deeds of which they played no part in committing.

Wow. That's shitty.

Societal kowtowing is not equivalent to acknowledging or apologizing.

Just my five cents because Canada got rid of the penny :^)
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:48 am

Nusaresa wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Minzerland II wrote:Societal pressure forces us to.

Then you're basically Kowtowing to societal pressure, which is worse than begging forgiveness to a native child that is an orphan.

It's acknowledging that there was a mistake done in the first place, that is as far as it should go for the common person. The government is responsible for the reconciliation efforts.

When an entire community puts pressure upon another, usually with the support of many other communities such as the refugee community, it can force many to break under the pressure.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:50 am

Nusaresa wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Did I ever say I kowtowed to the efforts of my society?

A bad way to acknowledge past atrocities, do we acknowledge all atrocities from the past with a day of reconciliation? The Government of today isn't the Government of yesterday, it owes nothing to them in the form of reconciliation, apologies or compensation. The day does nothing but instil guilt within people, and has done nothing for anyone.
Last edited by Minzerland II on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:52 am

Nusaresa wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Wow. That's shitty.

Societal kowtowing is not equivalent to acknowledging or apologizing.

Just my five cents because Canada got rid of the penny :^)

It's unfortunate, it has only served to pull an even bigger rift betwixt the indigenous community and Non-Indigenous community (Usually the White population); All it has caused is further resentment.

We're getting rid of the 5 cent coin.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:56 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

When an entire community puts pressure upon another, usually with the support of many other communities such as the refugee community, it can force many to break under the pressure.

Well GG Australia you broke it while trying to fix it.
Minzerland II wrote:

Did I ever say I kowtowed to the efforts of my society?

A bad way to acknowledge past atrocities, do we acknowledge all bad from the past with a day of reconciliation? The Government of today isn't the Government of yesterday, it owes nothing to them in the form of reconciliation, apologies or compensation. The day does nothing but instils guilt within people, and has done nothing for anyone.

Again, why feel guilty of it?

Accept the fact that such shitty events happened. Both by the population and the government. There. Next is acknowledging that those were actually shitty events. Simple enough? Next is to ease into reconciliation, not jump in gung ho and beg for forgiveness no, no, no that's not going to do anyone's favors.

Apologies are never sincere one's one crosses a moral event horizon. But acknowledging it happened and making sure that those effected are given mutual dialogue to help them move on is more beneficial to all parties than saying 'this was shitty oh my god I'm so sorry' because this is what it appears as, and trust me, it looks bad on a personal level and on a group level. No one likes to be guilty nor does anyone want to guilt trip another into seventh hell for the sake of guilt tripping.
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Not forced; usually expected however, for a time if one did not apologise for deeds of the past, one would be looked down on.

Minzerland II wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Societal pressure forces us to.

No they don't. No one expects you as individuals to walk up to the nearest (insert native person here) and apologize for the state's transgressions against its own people. Stop acting as if all (insert native people group here) are going to demand that you apologize personally.

Should the government apologize? Of course. Because as an institution, it was responsible for these crimes.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:07 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Did I ever say I kowtowed to the efforts of my society?

A bad way to acknowledge past atrocities, do we acknowledge all bad from the past with a day of reconciliation? The Government of today isn't the Government of yesterday, it owes nothing to them in the form of reconciliation, apologies or compensation. The day does nothing but instils guilt within people, and has done nothing for anyone.

Again, why feel guilty of it?

I'm no psychologist, but it usually comes from being told your forefathers committed this and that, then having a day called 'National Sorry Day'.
Accept the fact that such shitty events happened. Both by the population and the government. There. Next is acknowledging that those were actually shitty events. Simple enough? Next is to ease into reconciliation, not jump in gung ho and beg for forgiveness no, no, no that's not going to do anyone's favors.

Apologies are never sincere one's one crosses a moral event horizon. But acknowledging it happened and making sure that those effected are given mutual dialogue to help them move on is more beneficial to all parties than saying 'this was shitty oh my god I'm so sorry' because this is what it appears as, and trust me, it looks bad on a personal level and on a group level. No one likes to be guilty nor does anyone want to guilt trip another into seventh hell for the sake of guilt tripping.

There are better ways to do it rather than a 'National Sorry Day'.
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Sassinia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:08 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sassinia wrote:Typical western enslavement/genocide of other peoples.

Typical of someone who doesn't recognise the good the west has done, and has to look to the past for judgements.

Ah yes, the apologist. Please blabber out the goodness of "civilized" western civilization while I read through Chanakya's Arthashastra.

Namaste.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
No, we aren't the Sassanids nor descendants of them.
..and no, we aren't Muslims, either.
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Head of State: King Ireni Murd
Capital City: Terz
Population: 7,000,000,000 and counting
RP Military: 31,000,000 active, 34,000,000 reserve
Tech: MT
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Not forced; usually expected however, for a time if one did not apologise for deeds of the past, one would be looked down on.

No they don't. No one expects you as individuals to walk up to the nearest (insert native person here) and apologize for the state's transgressions against its own people. Stop acting as if all (insert native people group here) are going to demand that you apologize personally.

You really need to stop with the strawmen.
Should the government apologize? Of course. Because as an institution, it was responsible for these crimes.

No. The Government institution is a tool to be used by the elected administrative party, it is the members of the party that must apologise.
Last edited by Minzerland II on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

You're a Kiwi right, I doubt you know what it's like to live in areas with a large indigenous populations such as Cairns, or places in the Northern Territories.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:Again, why feel guilty of it?

I'm no psychologist, but it usually comes from being told your forefathers committed this and that, then having a day called 'National SorryDay'.
Well the past has past. That is why reconciliation and mutual dialogue is important. It's the method for people, both native and non natives alike, to move on and realize that it has past and things will get better.
Minzerland II wrote:

There are better ways to do it rather than a 'National Sorry Day'.

Well yeah I'm saying that the very terminology sounds like a 'oh my gah, im so sorry' it comes off as rather insincere at best and at worst traps everyone in a sense of guilt and guilt tripping mentalities.
Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Typical of someone who doesn't recognise the good the west has done, and has to look to the past for judgements.

Ah yes, the apologist. Please blabber out the goodness of "civilized" western civilization while I read through Chanakya's Arthashastra.

Namaste.

You reek of pretentiousness and white savior syndrome.

This discourse follows me everywhere is2g why do I even have a tumblr
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 am

Sassinia wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Namaste.

Ah yes the person that picks the west out and shames it even though every civilisation in recorded history has committed similar crimes.
Please babble on as I read a number of Western master pieces.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:15 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:I'm no psychologist, but it usually comes from being told your forefathers committed this and that, then having a day called 'National SorryDay'.
Well the past has past. That is why reconciliation and mutual dialogue is important. It's the method for people, both native and non natives alike, to move on and realize that it has past and things will get better.

Minzerland II wrote:There are better ways to do it rather than a 'National Sorry Day'.

Well yeah I'm saying that the very terminology sounds like a 'oh my gah, im so sorry' it comes off as rather insincere at best and at worst traps everyone in a sense of guilt and guilt tripping mentalities.

Then we're in agreement.

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:15 am

Nusaresa wrote:
Sassinia wrote:Ah yes, the apologist. Please blabber out the goodness of "civilized" western civilization while I read through Chanakya's Arthashastra.

Namaste.

The only one having "white savior syndrome" are you guys, spouting out "Oh, but we invented *insert already invented thing here*!" every five seconds.

Don't you realize? You oh-so civilized western "whites" were barbarians a few centuries ago, while at the same time people in the East were living in luxury.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Custerburgh
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Custerburgh » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:17 am

Sassinia wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:

The only one having "white savior syndrome" are you guys, spouting out "Oh, but we invented *insert already invented thing here*!" every five seconds.

Don't you realize? You oh-so civilized western "whites" were barbarians a few centuries ago, while at the same time people in the East were living in luxury.
ayo hol up fam so u be sayin we wuz kangz?

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:18 am

Sassinia wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:

You still haven't responded to my own post:

That 'enslavement/genocide' is rather typical of all Human civilisations, I have no idea why you must single-out the West for this. Confirmation-bias?

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Camicon wrote:Presumably, but those Australians, like those individuals in Canada, were acting under the auspices of the government. The government, while it consists of individuals, is also something that exists beyond them. So why would an official apology from the government not be warranted?

Why is the Government, a tool of the elected party, which is no longer in power, being punished for the crime of the administrative party?

Politicians change with elections, bureaucrats and other staff do not.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Sassinia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 am

Minzerland II wrote:
Sassinia wrote:

You still haven't responded to my own post:

That 'enslavement/genocide' is rather typical of all Human civilisations, I have no idea why you must single-out the West for this. Confirmation-bias?

Because the west committed genocide and enslaved the most? Isn't it obvious?
Last edited by Sassinia on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
আমি একজন বাঙালি
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Ebliania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ebliania » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:21 am

Sassinia wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:You still haven't responded to my own post:

:rofl:

That is just cringe.

Nusaresa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:22 am

Sassinia wrote:
Nusaresa wrote:

Blah blah blah spare me the drivel that divides people even further.

Also, what a HILARIOUSLY pathetic way of viewing history. Need I remind you of China's own imperial ambitions? How about Japan's views of civilization and barbarianism? Oh oh oh, how about how ethnic relations are a result of basic human psychology and the the only way to open one's minds into loving thy neighbor is by understanding them beyond the prejudices one holds and by understanding what can be done to improve relationships between races.

Your petty argument serves as nothing but a catalyst for conflict and resentment. 'Tolerance' is an empty word without understanding.
The Republic of Nusaresa

Nusaresa welcomes you.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:22 am

Sassinia wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:You still haven't responded to my own post:

Because the west genocide and enslaved the most? Isn't it obvious?

It is disingenuous to say such a thing when most of the worlds history is either not recorded, or is lost to the ages. The West has only been able commit genocide on a larger scale.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:23 am

Camicon wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:Why is the Government, a tool of the elected party, which is no longer in power, being punished for the crime of the administrative party?

Politicians change with elections, bureaucrats and other staff do not.

Then it is they whom must apologise, isn't it?

Zostra
Diplomat

Founded: May 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zostra » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:24 am

Sassinia wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:That 'enslavement/genocide' is rather typical of all Human civilisations, I have no idea why you must single-out the West for this. Confirmation-bias?

Oh boy, genocide olympics. While you can recognize the west has committed (and still commits) horrific acts, it's kind of difficult for the "East" to claim a moral high ground simply because they may have killed or oppressed less.
I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.9

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General