NATION

PASSWORD

We are going to Mars

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:09 pm

UED wrote:
Imperial Union of America wrote:http://futurism.com/its-official-were-going-to-mars/

I think this wonderful. We haven't been to a new planet since 1969. This is a brave new step and will allow the greatest country on earth to lead once again.

Stephen hawking once said that man's future -- if we are to continue to exist as a species -- lay in space travel and colonization. I agree.

Let's plant the flag on Martian soil and claim the red planet for the United States and the White Race.

Do you think we'll eventually colonize the red planet? Do you think this will make America an enthusiastic forward looking nation? Will we all gather to watch on TV as the White Race takes another giant leap?

Why are we even taking this seriously?

I would like to point out that anyone who thinks that the moon is a planet obviously doesn't know what s/he is talking about. I don't know how you expect us to take this seriously if you don't know what the moon is. The average person knows more about celestial bodies than you do.

And then there is that whole white race thing but you already lost credibility regarding the moon.

Oh, no one's taking the OP seriously (Well, I hope no one is), but the news is real, NASA's been given a large amount of money for a trip to Mars.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Imperial Union of America wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Actually 77% is white,
"Race/Ethnicity (2015 estimates)[193]
By race:[193]
White 77.1%
Black 13.3%
Asian 5.6%
Two or More Races 2.6%
American Indian and Alaska Native 1.2%
Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander 0.2%
By ethnicity:[193]
Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 17.6%
Non-Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 82.4%"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

But yeah, racism has no place in discussions about space. Nobody will be claiming anything in the name of the "white race" which is a lose concept that is not a legal entity and thus cannot claim things.

I believe that makes us more than a 3/4ths majority.

That would make "whites" a more than 3/4ths majoity yes, but that has nothing to do with space colonization.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Imperial Union of America
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:11 pm

New haven america wrote:
UED wrote:

I would like to point out that anyone who thinks that the moon is a planet obviously doesn't know what s/he is talking about. I don't know how you expect us to take this seriously if you don't know what the moon is. The average person knows more about celestial bodies than you do.

And then there is that whole white race thing but you already lost credibility regarding the moon.

Oh, no one's taking the OP seriously (Well, I hope no one is), but the news is real, NASA's been given a large amount of money for a trip to Mars.

There are people here that agree with me. We are in the minority, but we do exist.

The story is real and significant. You don't have to agree with me, but i am required to put my opinion in the OP.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people who do not share my skin colour or opinions also take me seriously, considering the responses i've been getting.
Last edited by Imperial Union of America on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Fascist and i believe the constitution should be suspended. All enemies of the state should be rounded up and permanently deported.

"But perhaps I am partial to the complexion of my Country, for such kind of partiality is natural to Mankind." - Benjamin Franklin

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:12 pm

New haven america wrote:
UED wrote:

Well NASA is not a good place to send the money. NASA cannot even put a man in space anymore. Let alone do something like the Mars mission. Unless NASA is completely overhauled it is almost certain to fail.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 pm

Ailiailia wrote:

Congress increased the NASA budget from $19.3 billion (this year) to $19.5 billion (next year), put Mars on the agenda, and we're cheering for WHAT exactly? That money is being ripped out of NASA's science programs for an all-muscle-and-no-brain dickwave at Mars that won't even happen ..?

Is there any serious possibility that the anti-science anti-spending morons of the House will stump up the starting cost of $100 billion, let alone the inevitable cost over-runs up to half a trillion?

Nothing to see here.

I wouldn't call researching trips to Mars to be a mindless dickwave, considering that climate change on Earth is currently almost irreversible (Unless we take extremely drastic measures now, which we're probably not gonna do), so we need to find a new home as soon as possible, and Mars is currently the 2nd most habitable planet we know of.

To Mars!
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Roskian Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roskian Federation » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Novus America wrote:
Actually 77% is white,
"Race/Ethnicity (2015 estimates)[193]
By race:[193]
White 77.1%
Black 13.3%
Asian 5.6%
Two or More Races 2.6%
American Indian and Alaska Native 1.2%
Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander 0.2%
By ethnicity:[193]
Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 17.6%
Non-Hispanic/Latino (of any race) 82.4%"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

But yeah, racism has no place in discussions about space. Nobody will be claiming anything in the name of the "white race" which is a lose concept that is not a legal entity and thus cannot claim things.

Race / Ethnicity Number Percentage of
U.S. population
Americans 308,745,538 100.0 %
Non-Hispanic White 196,817,552 63.7 %
Non-Hispanic Black 37,685,848 12.2 %
Non-Hispanic Asian 14,465,124 4.7 %
Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native 2,247,098 0.7 %
Non-Hispanic Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 481,576 0.2 %
Non-Hispanic some other race 604,265 0.2 %
Non-Hispanic two or more races 5,966,481 1.9 %
Hispanic or Latino 50,477,594 16.3 %

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity
RIP ROSKI, UNJUSTLY DELETED on 12 JULY 2016 +15,601 posts

RSS Madenska set to fully activate on October 15th
Yugoslovenski and Maldania reaffirm the Central States Alliance

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:15 pm

New haven america wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:
Congress increased the NASA budget from $19.3 billion (this year) to $19.5 billion (next year), put Mars on the agenda, and we're cheering for WHAT exactly? That money is being ripped out of NASA's science programs for an all-muscle-and-no-brain dickwave at Mars that won't even happen ..?

Is there any serious possibility that the anti-science anti-spending morons of the House will stump up the starting cost of $100 billion, let alone the inevitable cost over-runs up to half a trillion?

Nothing to see here.

I wouldn't call researching trips to Mars to be a mindless dickwave, considering that climate change on Earth is currently almost irreversible (Unless we take extremely drastic measures now, which we're probably not gonna do), so we need to find a new home as soon as possible, and Mars is currently the 2nd most habitable planet we know of.

To Mars!

Sending a few million more to the ruins of NASA is not going to get us there though.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 pm

I just hope my comrades get to decide who goes and who stays. We might be able to make mars to our liking.

I think we should terraform mars if at all possible, but i seem to see mixed signals from expert sources on the possibility of terraforming.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/big-idea/07/mars

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/img/big-idea/mars.jpg

Last edited by Imperial Union of America on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Fascist and i believe the constitution should be suspended. All enemies of the state should be rounded up and permanently deported.

"But perhaps I am partial to the complexion of my Country, for such kind of partiality is natural to Mankind." - Benjamin Franklin

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Novus America wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Paying two cents for a kilo of platinum does sound like a nice change of pace, yes.

It would lose its value in jewelry. It's main value in jewelry is from its rarity.

Though it would make it more available for industrial uses. Kind of funny the idea of platinum being treated like lead or iron.

You know as soon as you land a kilo of that from space, there's going to be a rush to sell the thousands of tons of the stuff which is sitting in bank vaults doing nothing? Industrial users will thank you, but they won't actually buy much of it from you, they'll buy it from the suckers who are keeping it now as an "investment".

The price will crash even before you land it actually. Unless you pretend you're doing something else out there.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Roskian Federation wrote:

U.S. population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity

Hispanic is not a race. This mixes up ethnolinguistics and race on a one drop (word?) principle, and thus is silly.
There are white Hispanics, Black Hispanics, etc.
Though I am not sure what it has to do with space.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:20 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Novus America wrote:
It would lose its value in jewelry. It's main value in jewelry is from its rarity.

Though it would make it more available for industrial uses. Kind of funny the idea of platinum being treated like lead or iron.

You know as soon as you land a kilo of that from space, there's going to be a rush to sell the thousands of tons of the stuff which is sitting in bank vaults doing nothing? Industrial users will thank you, but they won't actually buy much of it from you, they'll buy it from the suckers who are keeping it now as an "investment".

The price will crash even before you land it actually. Unless you pretend you're doing something else out there.

Well yeah, it would suck for people holding platinum as an investment.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Roskian Federation wrote:

U.S. population

Hispanic whites(of probable Spanish origin) are white people, too.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:23 pm

Novus America wrote:
New haven america wrote:I wouldn't call researching trips to Mars to be a mindless dickwave, considering that climate change on Earth is currently almost irreversible (Unless we take extremely drastic measures now, which we're probably not gonna do), so we need to find a new home as soon as possible, and Mars is currently the 2nd most habitable planet we know of.

To Mars!

Sending a few million more to the ruins of NASA is not going to get us there though.

The reason NASA's hasn't sent people into space is rather simple, 1. The shuttles weren't meant to run as long as they did, the program was extended past it's end date (Which was 2010) and keeping them running was too expensive to do, and 2. And NASA wasn't as well funded as they used to be.

But now they've been given a chance to not only send people back into space, but an entirely different planet.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:23 pm

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The reason NASA's hasn't sent people into space is rather simple, 1. The shuttles weren't meant to run as long as they did, the program was extended past it's end date (Which was 2010) and keeping them running was too expensive to do, and 2. And NASA wasn't as well funded as they used to be.

But now they've been given a chance to not only send people back into space, but an entirely different planet.

Can you believe we have to bum rockets off Russia now? we should increase NASA spending drastically, in my opinion.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Imperial Union of America wrote:I just hope my comrades get to decide who goes and who stays. We might be able to make mars to our liking.

I think we should terraform mars if at all possible, but i seem to see mixed signals from expert sources on the possibility of terraforming.

(Image)

We should definitely try. I personally like the idea about redirecting and focusing more of the sun's light using giant space mirrors to melt the ice and create water.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:25 pm

New haven america wrote:The reason NASA's hasn't sent people into space is rather simple, 1. The shuttles weren't meant to run as long as they did, the program was extended past it's end date (Which was 2010) and keeping them running was too expensive to do, and 2. And NASA wasn't as well funded as they used to be.

Can you believe we have to bum rockets off Russia now? we should increase NASA spending drastically, in my opinion.

Aren't you supposed to be happy with that? Considering the vast majority of Russians are white.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:26 pm

New haven america wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Nothing to see here.

To Mars!

Climate change on Earth could make Earth barely habitable to humans: we'd have to stay inside or wear protective suits outside, the outside work would mostly be done by robots, our food sources would have to be all genetically engineered. The population we could support would likely be much lower. It would be bad, but at least Earth would still have plenty of water, an ATMOSPHERE, and a protective MAGNETIC FIELD.

Even in the worst case scenario, Earth would still be a more viable place for us to live than Mars.

Don't give me sources, because I expect they'd make me puke. Tell me in your own words what you'd do to provide Mars with a breathable atmosphere.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Merizoc wrote:In all seriousness I'd rather this money go to something, you know, actually important.

NASA's budget is around $19 billion a year. The United States Department of Agriculture has a $139 billion budget. I think the United States can afford to make spacecraft to visit Marvin the Martian.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Union of America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:28 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Imperial Union of America wrote:I just hope my comrades get to decide who goes and who stays. We might be able to make mars to our liking.

(Image)

We should definitely try. I personally like the idea about redirecting and focusing more of the sun's light using giant space mirrors to melt the ice and create water.

I read that we can create an atmosphere on mars by increasing the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere -- it has an opposite effect as here on earth. It would help hold in heat from the sun by strengthening mars' very weak atmosphere. we can begin to plant trees and other fauna, and eventually, end up creating a breathable atmosphere. as mars heats up, the polar ice caps would melt and create flowing rivers. Having an atmosphere would also provide protection from harmful rays that our atmosphere protects us from.

Costa Fierro wrote:
Merizoc wrote:In all seriousness I'd rather this money go to something, you know, actually important.

NASA's budget is around $19 billion a year. The United States Department of Agriculture has a $139 billion budget. I think the United States can afford to make spacecraft to visit Marvin the Martian.

I agree. The United States should see investment in space travel and colonization a necessary expenditure to assure the survival of our species. We should build a nation that looks to the future and bravely goes forward into the future. willing to accept all the risks that entails.

New haven america wrote:

Aren't you supposed to be happy with that? Considering the vast majority of Russians are white.

I would prefer the United States be able to sustain it without the Russian whites. America, for me, is ground zero for the future White Nation.
Last edited by Imperial Union of America on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:30 pm

It's really confusing me to have three posters on the same page whose names all end in "America" :p

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Freefall11111
Negotiator

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Freefall11111 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Novus America wrote:
New haven america wrote:Oh, no one's taking the OP seriously (Well, I hope no one is), but the news is real, NASA's been given a large amount of money for a trip to Mars.

Well NASA is not a good place to send the money. NASA cannot even put a man in space anymore. Let alone do something like the Mars mission. Unless NASA is completely overhauled it is almost certain to fail.

NASA will be able to put a man in space soon, either by their own means or through private contractors. The true failing was that non-experts pushed for the space shuttle rather than continuing with conventional rockets, not that NASA failed to use funds efficiently. The space shuttle program was a waste of several decades, and the space shuttle finally being put to rest is the main reason there's a small number of years where NASA is reliant on Russia. The space shuttle could've been maintained until the SLS was ready, but that would've been a waste of money and a risk to astronaut lives. Much easier to take those resources and pour them into the SLS or private contractors instead.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 pm

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The shutdown of the shuttle is emblematic of much bigger problems. Despite the two accidents it had a great overall record and should have been kept in service until a replacement was available. People are going to die in space exploration. We would have never made it to the moon had we permanetly grounded programs everytime an accident occurred.

Also NASA's failure to plan for a shuttle replacement properly. NASA is now so risk adverse and reactionary, it is no longer capable of keeping up with the pace of technology. It is going backwards not forwards in many ways. It needs a complete attitude change more than money.

Also politicization and mission creep means it has spread its resources to broadly.

It has a lot of money. But not the ability to utilize it properly.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:32 pm

I think that it's inevitable humans as a species will colonize other planets in the future, and I do believe that mars may be the first planet we humans colonize (other than earth of course). Once we reach the technological capabilities of interplanetary,interstellar and intergalactic space travel, who knows how many planets we may colonize, how many planetary systems and galaxies we may have visited.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
New haven america wrote:I wouldn't call researching trips to Mars to be a mindless dickwave, considering that climate change on Earth is currently almost irreversible (Unless we take extremely drastic measures now, which we're probably not gonna do), so we need to find a new home as soon as possible, and Mars is currently the 2nd most habitable planet we know of.

To Mars!

Climate change on Earth could make Earth barely habitable to humans: we'd have to stay inside or wear protective suits outside, the outside work would mostly be done by robots, our food sources would have to be all genetically engineered. The population we could support would likely be much lower. It would be bad, but at least Earth would still have plenty of water, an ATMOSPHERE, and a protective MAGNETIC FIELD.

Even in the worst case scenario, Earth would still be a more viable place for us to live than Mars.

Don't give me sources, because I expect they'd make me puke. Tell me in your own words what you'd do to provide Mars with a breathable atmosphere.

Domed or underground cities for habitable and protected living areas.

Solar panels (Orbital), nuclear plants, and hypothetical magnetic and geothermal (The least likely two, yet they're still possible) plants for energy.

Once we get those completed, then we can move on to terraforming the rest of Mars

Seriously? Have you not been reading the early parts of this thread?
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General