NATION

PASSWORD

Wage gap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:10 am

Pope Joan wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:While CEOs wages have grown, workers wages have stayed relatively level. While CEOs get massive compensation packages for failing to increase their companies earnings beyond a certain percentage, workers get dick all for failing to meet increasing quotas for production impacting the CEOs ability to increase company earnings.

Right. Meanwhile, those workers are gulled into complaining about government and taxes, instead of about their real oppressors.

Well, obviously it's all the IRS' fault. I mean they're the ones who force them to prove how little they make so that they don't have to actually pay any taxes and in fact will get returns if they properly prepare their tax statements. All the while the CEO can afford accountants and attorneys who will do that paperwork for him.

Stellonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:14 am

Equalaria wrote:http://youtu.be/k_m5AlsQqcs

Granted it's satire, but I think it's a concise way to bring awareness to the wage gap issue with women in the workplace. Discuss? I have an anxious feeling that many will dispute it.

I see a lot of responses on here that refuse to acknowledge the wage gap, and give alternative reasons for pay disparity based on sex; none of which are too compelling. In the end it seems that women stay quiet about it, and refuse to take action. For those that agree with the video, what can women do to fix this gap, and move towards equality in the labor market?

If that really were the case, then why do business bother to hire men, given that female labor is supposed to be considerably cheaper?

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:17 am

Stellonia wrote:
Equalaria wrote:http://youtu.be/k_m5AlsQqcs

Granted it's satire, but I think it's a concise way to bring awareness to the wage gap issue with women in the workplace. Discuss? I have an anxious feeling that many will dispute it.

I see a lot of responses on here that refuse to acknowledge the wage gap, and give alternative reasons for pay disparity based on sex; none of which are too compelling. In the end it seems that women stay quiet about it, and refuse to take action. For those that agree with the video, what can women do to fix this gap, and move towards equality in the labor market?

If that really were the case, then why do business bother to hire men, given that female labor is supposed to be considerably cheaper?

Many possible answers:

Women may not apply in high enough numbers to meet staffing requirements.
Women may not meet requirements to perform the duties at a high enough level.
Misogyny.
Because in those fields there is no pay gap between men and women.

Stellonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:22 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Stellonia wrote:If that really were the case, then why do business bother to hire men, given that female labor is supposed to be considerably cheaper?

Many possible answers:

Misogyny.

The second explanation is the weakest, and the last one is probably the best one, unless misogyny really is as rampant in the 21st century as some claim.

Yorkers
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 am

Who do my female colleagues make more than me?

We both work the same corner ffs.
"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs."
-John Jay, 1787

Dancing in the moonlight.
I wish that every kiss was never-ending.

An alternate history epic.

sa-wish!

Yorkers is a wealthy WASP playground inspired by L.L. Bean and Vineyard Vines catalogs and 19th Century Anglo-American nativism.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:29 am

Stellonia wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Many possible answers:

Misogyny.

The second explanation is the weakest, and the last one is probably the best one, unless misogyny really is as rampant in the 21st century as some claim.

Each explanation has its place in various industries.

As an example, I am under no illusions that in the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc, that there is still a lot of misogyny in play. These are very, very old, very, very powerful, white men in charge. Some better than others, some more like Jerry Jones. That's a pretty fertile ground for a dislike of women, and a place where a lot of excuses for it can come into play.

Women not meeting requirements to perform can be used as an excuse in the same fields however. There just are not that many women who meet the physical standards to be a professional athlete on an even standing with men.

So in the end, a lot of it is going to be explained by a number of motivating factors that tie into other motivating factors. You get to choose which you think people are guilty of, because nobody is going to publish studies that aren't horrifically motivated by money, politics, or both.

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:35 am

Satanic South Slavia wrote:Why bother arguing about the inequality of wages and not question why anyone must work to live comfortably in the first place?

I don't know if this is satire or not.

If it's not, I think the answer is pretty clear, humans cannot do photosynthesis. They need to do some form of work or activity to feed themselves, and in the climate that I and most on this forum live in, also a place to shelter from the elements. This does not simply come into existence. In a state of nature, everybody must work to live. I don't see how a system where people can simply opt out of working and expect to live well is even desirable.
Varemeist tõuseb kättemaks! Eesti on Hiiumaast Petserini!
Pray for a new spiritual crusade against the left!-Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium
For: A Christian West, Tradition, Pepe, Catholicism, St. Thomas Aquinas, the rosary, warm cider, ramen noodles, kbac, Latin, Gavin McInnes, Pro-Life, kebabs, stability, Opus Dei
Against: the left wing, the Englightenment, Black Lives Matter, Islam, homosexual/transgender agenda, cultural marxism

Boycott Coke, drink Fanta

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:45 am

Jumalariik wrote:
Satanic South Slavia wrote:Why bother arguing about the inequality of wages and not question why anyone must work to live comfortably in the first place?

I don't know if this is satire or not.

If it's not, I think the answer is pretty clear, humans cannot do photosynthesis. They need to do some form of work or activity to feed themselves, and in the climate that I and most on this forum live in, also a place to shelter from the elements. This does not simply come into existence. In a state of nature, everybody must work to live. I don't see how a system where people can simply opt out of working and expect to live well is even desirable.

The term is "post-scarcity" and it is a common theme in science fiction, Star Trek being a good commonly known example of it. A lot of people have spent a lot of time thinking about how humanity would live in a post-scarcity world, and the optimists believe that there would be a swell in Art, Literature, Science, and Philosophy as people would have more time to dedicate to "hobbies" instead of "subsistence".

Of course, the pessimists believe that it would result in BioShock.

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:53 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Jumalariik wrote:I don't know if this is satire or not.

The term is "post-scarcity" and it is a common theme in science fiction, Star Trek being a good commonly known example of it. A lot of people have spent a lot of time thinking about how humanity would live in a post-scarcity world, and the optimists believe that there would be a swell in Art, Literature, Science, and Philosophy as people would have more time to dedicate to "hobbies" instead of "subsistence".

Call me when post-scarcity actually happens.
Pray for a new spiritual crusade against the left!-Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium
For: A Christian West, Tradition, Pepe, Catholicism, St. Thomas Aquinas, the rosary, warm cider, ramen noodles, kbac, Latin, Gavin McInnes, Pro-Life, kebabs, stability, Opus Dei
Against: the left wing, the Englightenment, Black Lives Matter, Islam, homosexual/transgender agenda, cultural marxism

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 am

Jumalariik wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:The term is "post-scarcity" and it is a common theme in science fiction, Star Trek being a good commonly known example of it. A lot of people have spent a lot of time thinking about how humanity would live in a post-scarcity world, and the optimists believe that there would be a swell in Art, Literature, Science, and Philosophy as people would have more time to dedicate to "hobbies" instead of "subsistence".

Call me when post-scarcity actually happens.

Setting my alarm for "Flight of the Porcine".

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:55 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Jumalariik wrote:I don't know if this is satire or not.

Right. And this time in history, in which we live, was supposed to be the "leisure age" in which we could all devote ourselves to such lovely hobbies because we would have been liberated from labor by the advent of automation.

And I am continuing to work in my quickly declining years just for fun, I suppose.

:rofl:
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:57 am

Pope Joan wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:The term is "post-scarcity" and it is a common theme in science fiction, Star Trek being a good commonly known example of it. A lot of people have spent a lot of time thinking about how humanity would live in a post-scarcity world, and the optimists believe that there would be a swell in Art, Literature, Science, and Philosophy as people would have more time to dedicate to "hobbies" instead of "subsistence".

Right. And this time in history, in which we live, was supposed to be the "leisure age" in which we could all devote ourselves to such lovely hobbies because we would have been liberated from labor by the advent of automation.

And I am continuing to work in my quickly declining years just for fun, I suppose.

:rofl:

Pretty much. There is evidence enough that if it wasn't for the nature of Man that we would be living in a very lovely time indeed.

Then we introduced humans into the whole thing and it went straight down the S-Bend.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I think that the real wage gap at hand, is the fact that in the US- there are 20 individuals who own more wealth than 152+ million people, the bottom 50% which are getting increasingly less. The rich are not people who need tax cuts under any circumstance and giving it to them will not bring any tangible benefits in terms of economic growth. Supply side has failed completely.

https://www.thenation.com/article/20-pe ... americans/
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Saiwania wrote:I think that the real wage gap at hand, is the fact that in the US- there are 20 individuals who own more wealth than 152+ million people, the bottom 50% which are getting increasingly less. The rich are not people who need tax cuts under any circumstance and giving it to them will not bring any tangible benefits in terms of economic growth. Supply side has failed completely.

There are rich people and there are rich people. I'd think that most people in the top 20 people are born into that money, which anyway doesn't go into the economy. You're right. I think though if somebody earns their billions, they are entitled to an amount.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Saiwania wrote:I think that the real wage gap at hand, is the fact that in the US- there are 20 individuals who own more wealth than 152+ million people, the bottom 50% which are getting increasingly less. The rich are not people who need tax cuts under any circumstance and giving it to them will not bring any tangible benefits in terms of economic growth. Supply side has failed completely.

So basically "let's talk about something else."
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:52 pm

This thread is to discuss the petty SJW myth of the gender wage gap, not a serious issue like capitalism.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

This thread is to discuss the petty SJW myth of the gender wage gap, not a serious issue like capitalism.

Or, more specifically, where capitalism has failed. Like any market, it has failures and success, but I digress.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Montesardo-East Adanzi
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Montesardo-East Adanzi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:02 pm

Even I'm doubtful that the wage gap is as big as some claim it to be. Here's why. First off, the majority of governments have enacted laws to prevent wage discrimination. Of course, nothing is perfect, but the very existence of these laws is already something to be said. Second, my own experience while I was working showed me that I was paid the same as my co-workers. From my service to the local government, to the coffee shop and ultimately, my service to the Federal Mexican Government. When I worked for the local government, I myself, observed the wages of other employees and found that (depending on the department), they all shared the same hourly rate.

However, there's a thing I must say to fellow women. I implore you to join male dominated sectors. And by this, I mean you, yourself, join the sector, not force these nonsensical regulations on them. I'm currently studying AI engineering, to note, there's 32 students and only 5 are women (including myself). Despite being mocked by some of my female friends for choosing an "ungirly" career, or because it had mathematics and, instead, being suggested to study something like administration. Hearing these cases outright frustrate me, knowing full and well that we're capable of all types of career paths.
Last edited by Montesardo-East Adanzi on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A FanT nation with a nekomimi majority. This nation, obviously, does not resemble my actual political ideology. Also note that I disregard NS Stats, please refer to my factbook for verified information.

Want to learn more of MEA? Why not ask? -->AskMEA

Call me Mont, Vant, or Vint. I don't mind, really.
Exchange Rate: $1 NSD = ฿6.14 FDB

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Stellonia wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Many possible answers:

Misogyny.

Is this rampant enough for you?
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:No, my "Your evidence is invalid, therefore it's wrong" argument.

You basically said "you're wrong" and left it at that. That's not an argument, that's just you being stubborn and not willing to admit when you're wrong.

If "everyone else" said it doesn't exist, I wouldn't have been able to throw articles together showing the fact that it does exist.

And those studies economics equivalent of the study that claimed vaccines give you autism. Anything studies promoted by feminists or feminist ideas are blatantly fraudulent.
Last edited by Costa Fierro on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Yorkers
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yorkers » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Female porn stars make more than male ones.

SEXISM
"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs."
-John Jay, 1787

Dancing in the moonlight.
I wish that every kiss was never-ending.

An alternate history epic.

sa-wish!

Yorkers is a wealthy WASP playground inspired by L.L. Bean and Vineyard Vines catalogs and 19th Century Anglo-American nativism.

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:17 am

Yorkers wrote:Female porn stars make more than male ones.

SEXISM

But... but...

Womanz can't be sexist. The little parasite that lives in my head told me so.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Nubasia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nubasia » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:24 am

It does exist. Saying that it doesn't is a myth.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:28 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:No, my "Your evidence is invalid, therefore it's wrong" argument.

You basically said "you're wrong" and left it at that. That's not an argument, that's just you being stubborn and not willing to admit when you're wrong.

Here is the post where I point out (some of) the flaws in your source. I think it's fairly clear, but apparently not, so I will simplify it.
My post contains three arguments, or perhaps two arguments and a question.

Argument 1
Your Source: We find that there's no evidence that the wage gap is the result of discrimination...it is the result of men and women working different jobs.
Me: Discrimination against women can sometimes result in occupational segregation [gives example], therefore discrimination and 'men and women working different jobs' are not mutually exclusive.

Argument 2
Your Source: We speculate that some of the remaining wage gap (because this, like all of the studies that try to show that there is no wage gap fails to do so) is due to women pursuing more family-friendly workplace policies.
Me: Your source itself contains studies showing that women aren't in family-friendly workplaces, therefore the speculation in your source is wrong, and it contradicted by information within the source itself.

Question
You: I'm citing economists, which is better than whoever you're citing for reasons I'm not explaining.
Me: How do you know you're citing economists?

If "everyone else" said it doesn't exist, I wouldn't have been able to throw articles together showing the fact that it does exist.

And those studies economics equivalent of the study that claimed vaccines give you autism. Anything studies promoted by feminists or feminist ideas are blatantly fraudulent.

Then feel free to examine them and show evidence of fraud.
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:29 am

Yorkers wrote:Female porn stars make more than male ones.

SEXISM

You're not suggesting that putting your penis into somebody is equivalent work to having someone put their penis into you, are you?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General