NATION

PASSWORD

Wage gap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:11 am

Forsher wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:Why would employers realize this? This would require that they evaluate the abilities of female employees fairly. Sexism makes this unlikely.

I think you make a serious mistake in assuming active discrimination. That is, to my knowledge, illegal. Unconscious biases and the like are much more likely to play a substantial role in employment dynamics.

I also think the idea you're trying to dispute is completely moronic. It doesn't work like this (but not, to my mind, Chestaan's).

Forsher wrote:
There are several reasons why this analysis falls flat.

1) You assume an ability to systematically pay female staff less. This is not true because it is obvious and therefore able to take it to court. (Which also, in fact, is true for systematically not hiring staff who can perform the position they've applied for.)
2) Pay peanuts, get monkeys. If you are systematically hiring only staff that want to work for less money, you are generally going to be hiring the worse staff. It is actually more profitable to have more productive staff. (This is why slavery is bad from an economic perspective.)
3) Outsourcing avoids this principle because it is exploiting the relative difference in what counts as "peanuts" and the immobility of labour (which means that you can shift to a new location and find productive employees).

What generally (haha, where's your research Forsher? er...) happens is that when you hire people they are either offer a salary or they are informed of what they'll be paid as the first step in negotiation. The thinking is that women, during pay negotiations, are penalised for "female" behaviour rather than being women, i.e. offering lower amounts. In this sense, once you fall behind, you stay behind.

Chestaan's analysis is an interesting point of view. I've never heard of Gary Becker and it's 1am so I am not going to any time soon (on a related note, I will read any responses to this post, but don't expect a reply), but I'm sceptical. You do not, after all, consider "no-monopoly" as an assumption of perfect competition (i.e. a situation where the market works completely) and I do not see why some, I don't know, duopsony wouldn't lead to the same sort of situation. Furthermore, labour isn't necessarily going to be able to do anything. So, yeah, that other firm across the road is offering higher wages (or, at least, I think/have heard tell it does) but I have a job now, and there's no guarantee that I am going to be able to get that job (I've read Grapes of Wrath, I know how it is)... people are probably, generally, risk averse (which may, in fact, underlie the "female behaviour" I noted above). I would assume that Chestaan's firms are close together and, therefore, the mobility of labour is not an issue here. Maybe the perceived capacity to apply for a job whilst still maintain the current job is the critical thing, but risk averse people are probably going to have a low perception of this capacity.

Equally, Chestaan assumes that we have a firm, within its industry, that faces competitive pressures. We must question this notion, because the some roles exist across industries and, therefore, they draw from the same labour pools but don't face any competitive pressure of the sort Chestaan focussed on. Basically, if I am hiring a secretary at $25/hr and I'm an accountant, that a golf club is paying its secretaries $20hr is only an issue to me if there is a scarcity of labour... I'm not compromising my position in the market by having this particular cost profile. When we're dealing with more knowledge-limited roles, we're obviously talking about a different dynamic (and one where having an exact grasp of what premises we're using is important). In any case, more knowledge probably implies a typically older kind of employee, thence a situation where we're dealing with the legacies of the ability to systematically discriminate. (We might also talk about non-profits and what we might call an "ethical-penalty".)

The question of evaluating employee performance is also of interest. I don't know if you've ever met anyone who's racist, but they tend to be able to say "such and such are lazy" and equally say "but so and so are all good". This is an important point to bear in mind: that Jane is a productive employee is probably not going to displace one's preconceived notions about the distribution of productive women. There may also not be any substantive link between the people responsible for wages, hiring and on-going evaluation... and while in SMEs this seems very unlikely, it is also the case that SMEs are more likely to have part-time staff (which are generally less productive, paid less and disproportionately female).

There are a bunch of reasons why the pay gap exists. I've considered two here (part-time work, "female" negotiating behaviour) and dismissed a ridiculously common "refutation" of it (i.e. the why would you employ expensive men theory), as well as another rebuttal of that theory. The pay gap is over-stated, but this is because it is easier to do this than run regressions that most people don't understand. The pay gap is also dismissed out of hand because it is easier to gather data than it is to create information and knowledge from that data. This is an immensely complex issue that seems poorly explained by anything in particular. It follows that any specific framework, whether feminism, anti-feminism or anti-capitalism, is unlikely to generate an entirely convincing explanation. Indeed, it seems to me that labour market reform and attitudes to work (and work in life, maybe even life) lie at the centre of doing anything... and by reform I really mean paternity lead. Bye.

Ok, there's a lot here so bear with me while I respond.

Firstly:

2) Pay peanuts, get monkeys. If you are systematically hiring only staff that want to work for less money, you are generally going to be hiring the worse staff. It is actually more profitable to have more productive staff. (This is why slavery is bad from an economic perspective.)

This doesn't make sense in this context because we are assuming both that women and just as productive as well as being paid less. Think of it this way, you have a position available and two candidates for the job. Both candidates are identical in ability but one is a man and the other is a woman. For whatever reason, women are paid less. meaning that it is possible to hire the woman at a lower wage than the man. If the employer doesn't have some dislike for women then he can get the same productivity for less money and so will hire the woman. Now if we bring this to the larger world and assume that there is a proportion of employers who do not have a dislike for hiring women then this situation will be replicated across the board. More women will be hired because they are no less productive and cost less. This additional hiring of women will drive up demand for female labour and thus increase the wage rate for women.

Gary Becker is the man who essentially invented the field of labour economics. He studied topics traditionally considered outside the realm of economics such as drug abuse and discrimination and he won the Nobel Prize for his work. The above is essentially the argument put forward by Becker but made more specific to the topic of the thread. The idea is that employers who do dislike women and thus won't hire them will earn lower profits than firms who do hire women. The firms which hire women will then drive the sexist firms out of the market.

And the good thing about this framework is that it doesn't require perfect competition to hold true. Even if we have two firms and one of them is non-sexist then there will be a penalty for not penalty employing women. Now obviously the more firms there are the less likely there will be any discrimination. And seeing as how the wage gap is said to exist literally in every industry in every part of the world it cannot be the case that purely discriminatory views on women account for the gap.

that Jane is a productive employee is probably not going to displace one's preconceived notions about the distribution of productive women

This I have to disagree on. If firms are profit maximisers, and by and large they are, and also, crucially that their discrimination is based on a mistaken belief that women are less productive than men, then they will definitely be evaluating the performance of employees and decide on their worth solely on how well they do their job. If it appears that women are on average no less productive than men then they will take this information into account. Now if they just don't like women, Becker's argument applies. Firms, especially larger ones, dedicate a huge amount of resources to performance reviews and the vast swathe of information they gather could be used to determine whether women are more or less productive than men.

And about negotiating and paterntiy leave (a partial solution that I have mentioned in threads related to this topic before and I fully support) I am in complete agreement with you. Jello Biafra believes that the reason women get paid less is because because employers are just downright sexist. That's the point I was refuting. Negotiations skills and paternity leave almost certainly play a role in the wage gap, but that has nothing to do with sexist employers. It does have plenty to do with the capitalist system which our society operates under.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:17 am

The wage gap doesn't exist, at least not in the form it is commonly presented.

Women do not make less money for working the same jobs as men, that is a lie. The truth is that, on average, the income of women in the US is 79% of what men make. That is an overall earnings/income gap, not a wage gap. Whether or not this is something worth remediating, I don't know, but it's not nearly as big a problem as how it is presented.

It's also worth noting that the bulk of the contributing demographic for the income gap is between the 20-40 age bracket. It actually levels out at higher ages. Considering what's happening in most women's lives between the ages of 20 and 40, it's not overly surprising that they'd be unable to work for extended periods of time, hence the gap.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:19 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Galloism wrote:Individually, no, but as an overall trend it IS important to think about it for both equity and economic efficiency reasons. When a societal barrier bars most qualified persons of X gender or Y ethnicity for reasons unrelated to job performance, it actually acts as an overall drag on the economy as a whole.

Eliminating or reducing drags on the economy is clearly the business of the government, even if your argument is that gendered equity isn't.

There is no social barrier barring anyone from doing anything, since there is no legal barrier to support that social one -

Let me stop you right there - this is absurd on its face.

Let's look at the male elementary school teacher, for example. It's true that it's not encoded into law "thou shalt not hire a teacher ifeth he hath a dick". I assume that's the way we still write laws.

However, the male elementary school teacher is under intense daily scrutiny because he's presumed to be a paedophile until proven otherwise. I'm not saying there are no male elementary school teachers dealing with that social stigma on a day to day basis - there are - but many qualified elementary school teachers who happen to be male are driven from the field because of that hostile environment which men, and only men, face. This is so extreme at this point that the male elementary school teacher is almost extinct.

In the court of public opinion, if there IS an accusation of impropriety, which is more likely to occur to a man anyway because of his gender, if the teacher is cleared and is a woman, the presumption is "oh, well clearly she didn't do anything" and she can get on with her life. With a man, however, the presumption is "he must have gotten away with it" and it will dog him the rest of his days.

It may not be encoded into law, but the social barrier is HIGH, the social penalty for transgression can be extremely severe.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Wallenburg wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:The wage discrimination has already been proven, at a societal level.

What does that mean, exactly?

Let's take, for example, mothers. Mothers are not the only class of women who are discriminated against, but there's a lot of evidence of the ways that they are discriminated against, so they're an easy class to pick.

This study came up with fictitious resumes and had people review the resumes. The only difference in the resumes were the gender and parental status of the applicants. Participants in the study viewed mothers as being less competent and recommended 'mothers' receive a lower starting salary. Sending resumes out to actual employers revealed similar beliefs about mothers. Fathers are not judged in that way and sometimes benefit from being a parent.

Another study found that mothers were held to higher standards than women who weren't mothers; fathers were held to lower standards.

A different study also found that people rated mothers as being less competent and committed to the job than working fathers are.

The data seems to show that the general public views mothers as being less competent and deserving of a higher wage than they do non-mothers, and particularly fathers. Employers who discriminate aren't diverging from the opinions of the general public on the issue. Dealing with the issue one employer at a time might be a good idea, but the problem is social, not with individual employers.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Chestaan wrote:And the good thing about this framework is that it doesn't require perfect competition to hold true. Even if we have two firms and one of them is non-sexist then there will be a penalty for not penalty employing women.

Now obviously the more firms there are the less likely there will be any discrimination. And seeing as how the wage gap is said to exist literally in every industry in every part of the world it cannot be the case that purely discriminatory views on women account for the gap.

If it were the case that employers who discriminate against women were different from the general public, this might be the case. However, it appears that the general public also discriminates against women.

This study found that participants who viewed a video of a man and a woman helping customers viewed the men as being better at their jobs and the store in which they worked as being more clean, despite the fact that both the man and the woman were actors reading from a script, the videos were shot from the same angles, and were shot on the same set.

This study sent identical resumes to high-end restaurant for waitstaff positions. (Waitstaff positions pay more in high-end restaurants.) The female candidates were significantly less likely to get both an interview and a job offer. One of the reasons given for the discrimination was customer preference.

If the general public perceives women as being better workers, employers will too, whether or not this is actually the case.
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
The Intergalactic Universe Corporation wrote:There is no pay gap because it all depends. It is unfair to simply compare a group against another group without taking in all external factors. Only deluded people would think that there is a wage gap.

Can you point to a study that tries to take into account all of the external factors and ends up with a gap of zero? Not 'near' zero, in the opinion of the person conducting the study, but actual zero?

I'm pretty sure that he meant that there is no wage gap in the feminist sense--as ni there is no wage gap that means that our society is so sexist against women that they can't get paid fairly. That's against the law. Women may however choose different line sof work or amounts of hours worked and that can mean that overall there is a gap in earnings. Feminists need to stop leading every sentence with "men hate women, give us more stuff." Enough already.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Chestaan wrote:And the good thing about this framework is that it doesn't require perfect competition to hold true. Even if we have two firms and one of them is non-sexist then there will be a penalty for not penalty employing women.

Now obviously the more firms there are the less likely there will be any discrimination. And seeing as how the wage gap is said to exist literally in every industry in every part of the world it cannot be the case that purely discriminatory views on women account for the gap.

If it were the case that employers who discriminate against women were different from the general public, this might be the case. However, it appears that the general public also discriminates against women.

This study found that participants who viewed a video of a man and a woman helping customers viewed the men as being better at their jobs and the store in which they worked as being more clean, despite the fact that both the man and the woman were actors reading from a script, the videos were shot from the same angles, and were shot on the same set.

This study sent identical resumes to high-end restaurant for waitstaff positions. (Waitstaff positions pay more in high-end restaurants.) The female candidates were significantly less likely to get both an interview and a job offer. One of the reasons given for the discrimination was customer preference.

If the general public perceives women as being better workers, employers will too, whether or not this is actually the case.

Of course there are cases where companies discriminate. And there always will be. (Though in many jobs men get discriminated against as well). And when this happens hold them accountable.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Lamadia III
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Lamadia III » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:51 pm

The wage gap between men & women is totally fake.
There is absolutely no real evidence that there is a gap between a man and a woman doing the same job where the woman earns less due to her sex. In most cases, the reason women earn less, is because they opt for easier hours, go for maternity & hour breaks, and so on, often to suit a role as a housemaker or a mother, as well as an employee.
My mum is a surgeon- she earns much more than most of her male counterparts.
It's about how you control your hours, and how you chose to work. There is no fundamental flaw with society in this instance, other than a deep misstatement upheld largely by a misguided feminist movement.
PRO: Social conservatism | economic libertarianism |individual freedom | free market capitalism | UK Conservative Party | moderate Republicanism (US) | Parliamentary democracy | Thatcherism | Reganism | NHS | deregulation | low taxes | 9% corporate tax | interventionism | Israel |

ANTI: Socialism | Communism | Fascism | Tyranny | UK Labour Party | market controls | high taxation | envy politics | Trade unions | Jeremy Corbyn | a purely welfare state | inflation | extremism|

DANGEROUS SOCIALISM- Envy politics | Prevelant among liberal, labour & feminist movements; ie. prejudice against the wealthy

CONSERVATIVE.PARTYUK
Economic Left/Right:1|88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0|87
My UK Cabinet

Longweather
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 29, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Longweather » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:08 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:This study found that after controlling for most if not all of the variables that supposedly explain the wage gap, men who get MBAs are assigned jobs of higher rank and make $4,600 a year more than women who get MBAs, in their first jobs after graduating. This certainly seems quantifiable. Perhaps it is statistically insignificant when compared to all people across all jobs.

I looked at some of the data they posted. One thing I don't see mentioned in the abstract or data is any mention of networking. From personal experience, there is definitely a major advantage in creating connections to increase your chances of not only getting a job but to get a higher position. People tend to be biased towards those that they know or those that can be vouched for. Maybe, for some odd reason, many of the women in that study did a poor job at networking.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Ramaral V4
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaral V4 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:24 pm

New Edom wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:Can you point to a study that tries to take into account all of the external factors and ends up with a gap of zero? Not 'near' zero, in the opinion of the person conducting the study, but actual zero?

I'm pretty sure that he meant that there is no wage gap in the feminist sense--as ni there is no wage gap that means that our society is so sexist against women that they can't get paid fairly. That's against the law. Women may however choose different line sof work or amounts of hours worked and that can mean that overall there is a gap in earnings. Feminists need to stop leading every sentence with "men hate women, give us more stuff." Enough already.

The wage gap is very real, and it happens exactly in "the feminist sense": the links provided by Jello Biafra clearly shows tha there's a lot of sexism in our society (saying "sexism against women" is redundant, saying "sexism" is enough) and that's why women can't get paid fairly. I know that's against the law, but laws can be circumvented by sexist employers, and that's exactly what's happening.
The Revenging Matriarchy of Ramaral V4
Bernie Sanders have been taken by Women Empire in the name of global sisterhood and as act of revenge for the sexist attacks against the next US president: HILLARY!

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Ramaral V4 wrote:
New Edom wrote:

The wage gap is very real, and it happens exactly in "the feminist sense": the links provided by Jello Biafra clearly shows tha there's a lot of sexism in our society (saying "sexism against women" is redundant, saying "sexism" is enough) and that's why women can't get paid fairly. I know that's against the law, but laws can be circumvented by sexist employers, and that's exactly what's happening.

Individuals inccidents do not necessarily indicate a nationwide wage gap, and when variables are controlled the wage gap cannot even be quatified, and is most likely very small.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:41 pm

Ramaral V4 wrote:
New Edom wrote:

Individuals inccidents do not necessarily indicate a nationwide wage gap, and when variables are controlled the wage gap cannot even be quatified, and is most likely very small.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:45 pm

Novus America wrote:Individuals inccidents do not necessarily indicate a nationwide wage gap, and when variables are controlled the wage gap cannot even be quatified, and is most likely very small.

Experiments are not individual incidents.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Longweather wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:This study found that after controlling for most if not all of the variables that supposedly explain the wage gap, men who get MBAs are assigned jobs of higher rank and make $4,600 a year more than women who get MBAs, in their first jobs after graduating. This certainly seems quantifiable. Perhaps it is statistically insignificant when compared to all people across all jobs.

I looked at some of the data they posted. One thing I don't see mentioned in the abstract or data is any mention of networking. From personal experience, there is definitely a major advantage in creating connections to increase your chances of not only getting a job but to get a higher position. People tend to be biased towards those that they know or those that can be vouched for. Maybe, for some odd reason, many of the women in that study did a poor job at networking.

Can you point to any indication that the study did not control for networking?
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:54 pm

So, I am glad I can't drink because at least one of my kidneys would be dead.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Wallenburg wrote:
Novus America wrote:Individuals inccidents do not necessarily indicate a nationwide wage gap, and when variables are controlled the wage gap cannot even be quatified, and is most likely very small.

Experiments are not individual incidents.

Well they are a collection of individual incidents. Obviously some people discriminate. The experiments you cite are simply proof that some people discriminate.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Wallenburg wrote:
Longweather wrote:

Can you point to any indication that the study did not control for networking?

How can you control for that?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:43 pm

And yet actual economists suggest disagree. It's fairly obvious that they didn't take into account other variables otherwise they would have come up with the same answer. And I'm inclinded to believe in economists.

It would significantly reduce the likelihood of discrimination without putting (justifiable) caps on earnings.

But discrimination really doesn't happen enough to warrant such changes.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:55 pm

New Edom wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:Can you point to a study that tries to take into account all of the external factors and ends up with a gap of zero? Not 'near' zero, in the opinion of the person conducting the study, but actual zero?

Can you address the data I provided giving evidence against your position?

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:56 pm

Longweather wrote:

In that particular study, they may not have. However, a different study suggests that men benefit from networking much more than women do.
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Settrah
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Settrah » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:19 pm

Yeah, I think the wage gap is an illusion. It is much more realistic to think of it as an income gap instead.

The illusion of it being a wage gap, is because men tend to go for ambitious, higher paying jobs. Where as women are encouraged to go for more caring, lower paying jobs. Thus, the statistics end up 'showing women being paid a percentage of the rate men do'. But the illusion paints it as if employers just pay women less for the same job for sheer lulz. Which is NOT the case, but people still insist that it is just so they can run with these inane SJW victim complex bandwagons. I mean you'd think the fact that given the right employment, a women in a better job CAN and WILL get paid far more than a man who isn't. If the wage gap was any way how feminist portray it, this wouldn't occur.
Last edited by Settrah on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I triggered a dog today by accidentally asking it if it was a good boy. Turns out it was a good aromantic demisexual neutrois. I didn't even know.

The Intergalactic Universe Corporation
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Intergalactic Universe Corporation » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Feminists need to wake up and face the fact that there is no gender wage gap.
Pro: Capitalism, Nationalism, Conservatism, Trump, Thatcherism, Reagan, Pinochet, Lee Kuan Yew, Republican Party, Conservative Party, USA, UK

Anti: Liberalism, Socialism, Communism, Mao, Marx, Hillary, Democratic Party, EU, DPRK, USSR
Class D4 Nation according to The Civilization Index
I'm a Proud Member of the DEUN! Are you?
I'm a proud member of LMTU. Are you?
Liberal Democrats: The Party of Common Sense! in the NSG Senate!

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.

OOC: I do not use NS Stats.
HoloNet News: Congress To Meet Next Monday | Public Sector Sees Slower Wage Growth In 2036 | Public Debt Expected To Reduce Again | Consumer Spending Up For Chinese New Year Season

Socialist Nordia
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Nordia » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Gender wage gap is often not accurately portrayed. It's mostly due to women being less likely to get higher paying jobs, not getting payed less for the same job.
Internationalist Progressive Anarcho-Communist
I guess I'm a girl now.
Science > Your Beliefs
Trump did 11/9, never forget
Free Catalonia
My Political Test Results
A democratic socialist nation located on a small island in the Pacific. We are heavily urbanised, besides our thriving national parks. Our culture is influenced by both Scandinavia and China.
Our Embassy Program

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
New Edom wrote:

Can you address the data I provided giving evidence against your position?

The Pipeline article? From what I can see it is their interpretation of their findings. What I'm seeing is a summary, not any explanation of what kind of research they did, what the pool of participants was like or the circumstances of the research subjects, the factors considered, or the review of the study by other social scientists, so I'm skeptical.
Last edited by New Edom on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Longweather wrote:

In that particular study, they may not have. However, a different study suggests that men benefit from networking much more than women do.

I'm seeing a bunch of supposition there. 4.7%--who cares? Maybe give it a generation or so.

But I'm also considering a lot of who gives a crap. Boo hoo, women don't hold enough CEO positions. Why should we care if women cannot hold enough of the top 1%? When more women want to share time in the trenches with working class people, then I'll be interested, until then they can take a leap at the moon for all I care. I think that any politician, judge or other public figure who gives this kind of study serious looks should have people do a second thought about supporting them. We don't need more bloody social engineering. Enough is enough.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General