NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:08 am

Idzequitch wrote:Dang, Brownies. They've got a lot of potential out of this draft, and I think they got decent value taking Kizer at #52. He doesn't have 1st round pressure on him either. Honestly. He's a wild card. I don't know what to expect from him. But with a mid-2nd round pick? Why not take a shot? Probably not this season, but the one after, they may become a real threat to their neighbors in the AFC North.

The Browns are gonna be decent soon. I expect solid progress this year.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 am

Trollgaard wrote:Mahomes is a bust and a scrub? Really? Time will tell. It will tell that the haters were wrong! Mahomes is gonna be fantastic.

Mahomes needs to learn how to throw like someone who isn't a complete moron first. His mechanics are fucking awful. To his credit, he is quite evidently coachable, and has the physique, but he has a long way to go before he's NFL starter quality.

Trubisky's problem is that his mechanics are pretty bad, but unlike Mahomes there's no reason to believe he's coachable and he's even less experienced. He has all the signs of being a bust.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:31 am

Who knows anything about the giants picks?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

GreatestBanks
Minister

Founded: Mar 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby GreatestBanks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:03 am

CoraSpia wrote:Who knows anything about the giants picks?

They got a tight end, defensive tackle, and quarterback
TE Evan Engram
Defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson
QB: David Webb
Last edited by GreatestBanks on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.
Political Spectrum
Right: 0.63
Authoritarian: 2.62
Foreign Policy: 6.57(Neo-Conservative)
Culture: 7.17 (Conservative)

♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
Notice: I use NS Stats for everything other than population and GDP.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:17 am

GreatestBanks wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Who knows anything about the giants picks?

They got a tight end, defensive tackle, and quarterback
TE Evan Engram
Defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson
QB: David Webb

I know, I just mean what are they like
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:51 am

GreatestBanks wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I have to go against you here.
1: Tyreek Hill is also faster
2: He isn't a proven winner by any stretch. Doesn't change that he's one hell of a player, but consecutive 7-9 seasons isn't a "proven winner." I hate the term though, one player can't carry a team, unless you're Manning or Brady. (Or JJ Watt in 2014)

The team is a losing team because of a defense that usually ranks in the bottom 3. Cooks is a winner in my books since he keeps having 1,000 yard receiving seasons

And I would still take Cooks over almost all first round picks. Cooks is, as I mentioned, PROVEN. He's not as unknown of a factor as a college player and doesn't have the extra injury risk of an older veteran. He's young, speedy, and a great talent.

So he isn't a proven winner, he's a stud player on a bad team. Same as Drew Brees. But I never denied that the trade was awful for New Orleans. I'd take Cooks over any player in this draft at the moment. But he is not a proven winner. He isn't going 9-7, 10-6, or better every year. An impressive resume won't change that. Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson are hella good receivers, too, but they aren't proven winners, because they're on the Jacksonville Jaguars. It doesn't mean they aren't studs, but it definetely means they aren't 'proven winners.'

Idzequitch wrote:Dang, Brownies. They've got a lot of potential out of this draft, and I think they got decent value taking Kizer at #52. He doesn't have 1st round pressure on him either. Honestly. He's a wild card. I don't know what to expect from him. But with a mid-2nd round pick? Why not take a shot? Probably not this season, but the one after, they may become a real threat to their neighbors in the AFC North.

They had a shot at going 5-11 this year.

Then they released their best playmaker in the passing game. Why? I have no clue. Barnidge is getting old, but he's a hell of a tight end, still, and there's no honest reason to release him with the cap money they have, even after drafting Njoku. They still could go 5-11 or something, and Kizer was a solid move, but they have to fix this BS with letting guys like Barnidge and Terelle Pryor go.

GreatestBanks wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Except from 1960-2000. Then you could. That rule ain't really an old rule. :p

Can't outsmart Belichick*

When the Titans want to trade #83 and #124 for just #72 and #200, allowing you to move up substantially from the #200 pick and get a player in the same range as the #72 pick.
Belichick: TRADE

When it's finally time to draft at pick 83 and Derek Rivers is on the board
Belichick: DRAFT

When it's pick #85 from the Lions and Antonio Garcia, probably the most underrated offensive lineman in this draft, is still on the board
Belichick: SMASH THAT MOTHERFUCKING DRAFT BUTTON

Patriots could've used all of these picks on yogurts and they would be the best yogurts in the NFL

LOL true. I don't think the Lions and Titans did all that badly, if only because they didn't give over a hell of a lot more value to New England.
Last edited by Ranoria on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

GreatestBanks
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby GreatestBanks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 am

Ranoria wrote:
GreatestBanks wrote:The team is a losing team because of a defense that usually ranks in the bottom 3. Cooks is a winner in my books since he keeps having 1,000 yard receiving seasons

And I would still take Cooks over almost all first round picks. Cooks is, as I mentioned, PROVEN. He's not as unknown of a factor as a college player and doesn't have the extra injury risk of an older veteran. He's young, speedy, and a great talent.

So he isn't a proven winner, he's a stud player on a bad team. Same as Drew Brees. But I never denied that the trade was awful for New Orleans. I'd take Cooks over any player in this draft at the moment. But he is not a proven winner. He isn't going 9-7, 10-6, or better every year. An impressive resume won't change that. Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson are hella good receivers, too, but they aren't proven winners, because they're on the Jacksonville Jaguars. It doesn't mean they aren't studs, but it definetely means they aren't 'proven winners.'

Then they released their best playmaker in the passing game. Why? I have no clue. Barnidge is getting old, but he's a hell of a tight end, still, and there's no honest reason to release him with the cap money they have, even after drafting Njoku. They still could go 5-11 or something, and Kizer was a solid move, but they have to fix this BS with letting guys like Barnidge and Terelle Pryor go.

GreatestBanks wrote:Can't outsmart Belichick*

When the Titans want to trade #83 and #124 for just #72 and #200, allowing you to move up substantially from the #200 pick and get a player in the same range as the #72 pick.
Belichick: TRADE

When it's finally time to draft at pick 83 and Derek Rivers is on the board
Belichick: DRAFT

When it's pick #85 from the Lions and Antonio Garcia, probably the most underrated offensive lineman in this draft, is still on the board
Belichick: SMASH THAT MOTHERFUCKING DRAFT BUTTON

Patriots could've used all of these picks on yogurts and they would be the best yogurts in the NFL

LOL true. I don't think the Lions and Titans did all that badly, if only because they didn't give over a hell of a lot more value to New England.

My mistake with the wording. I meant that Cooks individually is a "winner" because of his personal stats and abilities. You're right that the team is a 7-9 team like every year.

The trades Belichick made yesterday weren't big, but he got a bit better value out of them

The problem with the Browns is that they will gladly trade away talent for draft picks or for no good reason at all. There was no reason to let Pryor leave, he was the best WR on the team. It was stupid to let go of Barnidge as well.

They also make horrible decisions with management. I forget who the coach was that had to draft Manziel and Gilbert, but apparently the coach was forced to draft these players who the coach considered to be bad and was fired after the coach was proven right. I think this was the same draft where then Browns spent $100,000 on an analysis that said Teddy Bridgewater was the best QB in the draft and then took Manziel.

Remember when Michael Lombardi traded away Trent Richardson and that terrible contract to the Colts? That was one of the reasons he was fired from the Browns.(Fact: Peyton Manning has a longer career run than Richardson)

And I see the Browns having the ability to beat only 4 teams if they get lucky. Maybe the Bears, Jets, Jaguars, and Chargers
Last edited by GreatestBanks on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
_[' ]_
Political Spectrum

♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 am

GreatestBanks wrote:
Ranoria wrote:So he isn't a proven winner, he's a stud player on a bad team. Same as Drew Brees. But I never denied that the trade was awful for New Orleans. I'd take Cooks over any player in this draft at the moment. But he is not a proven winner. He isn't going 9-7, 10-6, or better every year. An impressive resume won't change that. Allen Hurns and Allen Robinson are hella good receivers, too, but they aren't proven winners, because they're on the Jacksonville Jaguars. It doesn't mean they aren't studs, but it definetely means they aren't 'proven winners.'

My mistake with the wording. I meant that Cooks individually is a "winner" because of his personal stats and abilities. You're right that the team is a 7-9 team like every year.

The trades Belichick made yesterday weren't big, but he got a bit better value out of them.

True, but neither team walked out worse, they went after a guy they thought could be good.

Also, under the radar news, but Gary Barnidge is available. I'd love to see the Titans sign him after losing Anthony Fasano. He's a really good tight end all around, and we'd have an improved trio of Walker-Barnidge-Supernaw than we did with Fasano. At the same time, he could go to New England, where he'd be an improvement over Dwayne Allen, or maybe even somewhere like Pittsburgh or Baltimore, that'd be something.

But the move makes no sense. With their abhorrent sum of cap room, the Browns netted another 2 million from cutting him. It's stupid.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:10 am

Ugh. Like the Bengals needed another asshole on their team. Christ.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Empire of Cats
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Cats » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:48 am

Val Halla wrote:Ugh. Like the Bengals needed another asshole on their team. Christ.

Uh-huh. But we have one now anyway. Here's to making sure that he doesn't become the next Burfict.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Yeah. Browns did as I expected in not overdrafting QB position. Took DeShone Kizer at slot 52. Gotta like it if your a Brownie. It looks like they're making fairly good choices whx=ci may pay off as early as the 2018 season. I'm happy with the Ravens grabbing OLB Bowzer. Love his name. Mixon to the Bengal? No surprise there as Mike Brown and co. adds to his collection of thugs.

You should be excited about snagging Tim Williams. Some people had him in the 1st round.

Extremely. :)

Ranoria wrote:True, but neither team walked out worse, they went after a guy they thought could be good.

Also, under the radar news, but Gary Barnidge is available. I'd love to see the Titans sign him after losing Anthony Fasano. He's a really good tight end all around, and we'd have an improved trio of Walker-Barnidge-Supernaw than we did with Fasano. At the same time, he could go to New England, where he'd be an improvement over Dwayne Allen, or maybe even somewhere like Pittsburgh or Baltimore, that'd be something.

But the move makes no sense. With their abhorrent sum of cap room, the Browns netted another 2 million from cutting him. It's stupid.

Maybe he pissed off the wrong guy. Can't see joining the Ravens. We have six pretty good TEs. Dennis Pitta, Ben Watson, Crocket Gillmore, Darren Waller, Nick Boyle & Maxx Williams.
Waller could also play WR though. He's a sleeper that Ravens fans should keep their eyes on. He has shown exceptional raw talent, may possibly be coming into his own this season.
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Empire of Cats wrote:
Val Halla wrote:Ugh. Like the Bengals needed another asshole on their team. Christ.

Uh-huh. But we have one now anyway. Here's to making sure that he doesn't become the next Burfict.

Asshole is a nasty word. Baltimore football fans have a term we think is even beyond that.... "Bob Irsay." :twisted:

BTW, on review maybe thugs was a touch overstating it. How about ....hooligans? 8)

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Who is the Saints fan in here again? Cause your boys just landed AP.

You have got to be kidding me. The stakes for that Monday Night game are much higher now.
Last edited by Kohr on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Kohr wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Who is the Saints fan in here again? Cause your boys just landed AP.

You have got to be kidding me. The stakes for that Monday Night game are much higher now.

Hey, don't forgetthey just landed the top CB and OL in this draft! Lum might be on Cloud 9 and unavailable as of now. :lol:
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Now the wild grabs for UDFAs begins.

Just in case you don't think they matter... here's some that have made the Ravens: RB Priest Holmes, C Mike Flynn, LB Bart Scott, LB Dannell Ellerbe, LB Zachary Orr and DT Michael Pierce to name a few.
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:Now the wild grabs for UDFAs begins.

Just in case you don't think they matter... here's some that have made the Ravens: RB Priest Holmes, C Mike Flynn, LB Bart Scott, LB Dannell Ellerbe, LB Zachary Orr and DT Michael Pierce to name a few.

For Pittsburgh, WR Nate Washington, C Doug Legursky, OT Ramon Foster, RB "Fast Willie" Parker, LB James Harrison, and, for a throwback, CB Donnie Shell.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

GreatestBanks
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby GreatestBanks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Empire of Cats wrote:

Burfict, Pacman Jones, and Mixon walk into a car, who's driving?

A policeman

But fr tho it's like if you are accused of a crime you move up on the Bengals draft board
_[' ]_
Political Spectrum

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:17 pm

GreatestBanks wrote:
Empire of Cats wrote:

A policeman

But fr tho it's like if you are accused of a crime you move up on the Bengals draft board

I wouldn't state it quite that way. How 'bout it's more likely that Vegas has odds favoring you'll find yourself a Bengal ...or a Raiders and to a lesser extent, a Cowboy. :shock:

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:18 pm

GreatestBanks wrote:
Empire of Cats wrote:

A policeman

I guess the Bengals offer them a safe haven.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
GreatestBanks wrote:Burfict, Pacman Jones, and Mixon walk into a car, who's driving?

A policeman

I wouldn't state it quite that way. How 'bout it's more likely that Vegas has odds favoring you'll find yourself a Bengal ...or a Raiders and to a lesser extent, a Cowboy. :shock:

Time for a mind numbing stat. Wrong as it sounds, the Raiders are the only team to go without a single arrest in the past 3 years.

And on that note, the fact that arrests are that predominant across the league is absolutely pathetic.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Time for a mind numbing stat. Wrong as it sounds, the Raiders are the only team to go without a single arrest in the past 3 years.

And on that note, the fact that arrests are that predominant across the league is absolutely pathetic.

The Raiders should cite that stat and point to their turnaround publicly. Instead though, it's "now we're moving to Vegas, what could go wrong!"

Here's an interesting tidbit. Former Western Michigan QB Zach Terrell (and William V. Campbell Trophy winner) has just signed with the Baltimore Raven. He threw for 3,533 yards with 33 touchdowns. He also rushed for seven TDs. Tom Flacco, Joe's younger brother, was Terrell's backup at Western Michigan. 8)

Miloscia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Miloscia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Miloscia wrote:From a Pats fan, watching the draft was extremely entertaining.
McCaffrey and Corey Davis were probably picked a little too early.
Browns and 49ers stand out as immediate winners to me.

Don't forget Trubisky selected at #2 overall. That was the worst reach.
With only 13 collegiate starts going 8-5 in those games and he's the second player drafted? :rofl:

Forgot about Trubisky. Bad trade, big reach. Although it was pretty funny to rub my Bears fan friend about
I am a person.

Moderate, Independent, Christian, Anti-Trump, Pro-Bernie, and a bunch of other stuff.

RP Characters
Jason Pross, West Virginia Representative
Benjamin Sizemore, CBS political analyst

Outer Sparta
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Miloscia wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Don't forget Trubisky selected at #2 overall. That was the worst reach.
With only 13 collegiate starts going 8-5 in those games and he's the second player drafted? :rofl:

Forgot about Trubisky. Bad trade, big reach. Although it was pretty funny to rub my Bears fan friend about

Trade up one spot to get Trubisky, even though the Niners were set on Thomas.
Free Palestine, stop the genocide in Gaza

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 pm

I have a bet going for that game over profile picks with a Vikings fan in my fantasy league, lol

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

I'm going to reiterate my opinion that the teams should make sure that they are drafting and signing well-mannered, respectful individuals, but if they find a talented, troubled player and grab him, that's on them.

At the same time, though, 1 arrest in 3 years among 53 mostly young men? Not that bad at all. I'd be interested to see how many from each team tho.
Lumi is my NS mom

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General