NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Ranoria wrote:No. Cutler had been performing as horribly as he has with a very good OL, a better receiving core, and a strong run game. I wholeheartedly think Fitzpatrick is the better QB. San Fran is his only option, as even his leadership, and talent, are a massive upgrade over Kaepernick, and they'll likely be going for Cousins, so no. His only option is as a backup.

EDIT
Now, I could see him in Houston, if they can't get Romo. If they have Cutler, their offense would be significantly better than with Brock, and Cutler's cheaper.

If Houston gets Romo, the AFC South would suddenly become one of the best divisions in football.

Texans: #1 D this year gets Watt back. Offense with a talented rookie WR, Will Fuller, a TE who looks ready to make the jump (CJ Fiedorowicz or whatever) and DEANDRE HOPKINS, one of the best receivers in the NFL(I'd say #3), as well as a stud runner, Lamar Miller, whose also a dual threat and a very good OL in front of all that. That team would be terrifying. A top 4 QB, top 3 WR, top 10 RB, explosive rookie, the best player ever coming back to a D that found out how to not make him do everything. Wow.

Do. Not. Want.

lol

I swear. Romo to Denver? Eh. Two great recievers, but no OL and a D that isn't as good. To Houston? That defense winning them as many games as they did is astounding. You get a guy who can run their complex offense like Romo could, wow. I'd also try and pick up a pass blocking RB, to help him out lol.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Do. Not. Want.

lol

I swear. Romo to Denver? Eh. Two great recievers, but no OL and a D that isn't as good. To Houston? That defense winning them as many games as they did is astounding. You get a guy who can run their complex offense like Romo could, wow. I'd also try and pick up a pass blocking RB, to help him out lol.

Denver defence already won them in most games and kept them in close distance with those that they lost. It's like Denver 2013 offence, but flip it over. lol.

As a Denver fan, I see that with their defence the secondary's really good. Linebacker corps is pretty good as well. DL is a little bit problematic, and if they solve that it should be as good as Houston's.

Obviously that doesn't change anything from horrible OL Denver has. Ugh.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:22 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I swear. Romo to Denver? Eh. Two great recievers, but no OL and a D that isn't as good. To Houston? That defense winning them as many games as they did is astounding. You get a guy who can run their complex offense like Romo could, wow. I'd also try and pick up a pass blocking RB, to help him out lol.

With Denver defence the secondary's really good. Linebacker corps is pretty good as well. DL is a little bit problematic, and if they solve that it should be as good as Houston's.

lol no, their D Line, even if they get an upgrade to replace Malik Jackson, won't be able to match Houston's. JJ Watt's coming back. Their linebackers are better. Marshall, Ware, and Von are all beasts. (Will Ware still be around though?) Clowney, Mercilus, and Cushing are all ballers though.

Houston's defense as a whole is the best in the NFL though, and with Watt back, I completely expect historic numbers.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:54 pm

I'd rather Romo go to Houston than Denver, as the Chiefs have to play Denver twice a year.

Ideally though, the Chiefs will go balls to the wall in the offseason and get Romo.
Last edited by Trollgaard on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Trollgaard wrote:I'd rather Romo go to Houston than Denver, as the Chiefs have to play Denver twice a year.

See if he goes to Houston and knocks off the Titans, he damn well better win a super bowl for JJ Watt. Otherwise, I'd rather him be in Denver, as a Titans fan. On the other hand, as good as I think the Titans will be, it'll be a fun matchup, too. XD
Lumi is my NS mom

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Trollgaard wrote:I'd rather Romo go to Houston than Denver, as the Chiefs have to play Denver twice a year.

Ideally though, the Chiefs will go balls to the wall in the offseason and get Romo.

I'd rather Romo not go to Denver. I don't want that guy to die under the Broncos OL, I have to admit as a Broncos fan.

Ranoria wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:With Denver defence the secondary's really good. Linebacker corps is pretty good as well. DL is a little bit problematic, and if they solve that it should be as good as Houston's.

lol no, their D Line, even if they get an upgrade to replace Malik Jackson, won't be able to match Houston's. JJ Watt's coming back. Their linebackers are better. Marshall, Ware, and Von are all beasts. (Will Ware still be around though?) Clowney, Mercilus, and Cushing are all ballers though.

Houston's defense as a whole is the best in the NFL though, and with Watt back, I completely expect historic numbers.

I didn't say that Denver DL rn is looking fabulous. I also said that if they solve it. IF, not when.

Wolfe gets injured a lot and don't even mention about Crick/Williams. That is a fugly OL and it's like saying that Houston has fabulous secondary, which they do not have (as we saw with Brady burning them there).

Also, where's the love for Denver secondary? Denver secondary that held Rodgers to 60 yards back in '15 and held Brady without a completion for a quarter this year? Houston's secondary is far from close to Denver's.....

Houston's LB corps is decent and DL is the best in league by far, so I'll still give credits to Houston for having lot better DL, but c'mon man. Houston secondary. They got burned by fair number of QBs on passing side of the ball, including Trevor Siemian.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Ranoria wrote:lol no, their D Line, even if they get an upgrade to replace Malik Jackson, won't be able to match Houston's. JJ Watt's coming back. Their linebackers are better. Marshall, Ware, and Von are all beasts. (Will Ware still be around though?) Clowney, Mercilus, and Cushing are all ballers though.

I didn't say that Denver DL rn is looking fabulous. I also said that if they solve it. IF, not when.

Wolfe gets injured a lot and don't even mention about Crick/Williams. That's like saying that Houston has fabulous secondary, which they do not have (as we saw with Brady burning them there).

Also, where's the love for Denver secondary? Denver secondary that held Rodgers to 60 yards back in '15 and held Brady without a completion for a quarter this year? Houston's secondary is far from close to Denver's.....

Houston's LB corps is decent and DL is the best in league by far, so I'll still give credits to Houston for having lot better DL, but c'mon man. Houston secondary.

Houston's secondary also got two picks on Brady. But he's Tom Brady. He does that to everyone except Denver. So did Peyton back in his day. Denver's secondary is god like on some days. I'm a Titans fan. I watched Mariota ruin his season completion percentage going like 8/20 or something like that. But the Denver DL is nowhere close to Houston's. Mercilus and Clowney about equal Von and Ware, and Watt then adds a completely different element. I'd take Cush over Marshall. If Houston grabs, say, Johnathen Allen in this year's draft, expect an even tougher front 7. And they do have a VERY good secondary. Not like Denver's, but 200 passing yards a game, without their best pass rusher.
Lumi is my NS mom

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Ranoria wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:I didn't say that Denver DL rn is looking fabulous. I also said that if they solve it. IF, not when.

Wolfe gets injured a lot and don't even mention about Crick/Williams. That's like saying that Houston has fabulous secondary, which they do not have (as we saw with Brady burning them there).

Houston's LB corps is decent and DL is the best in league by far, so I'll still give credits to Houston for having lot better DL, but c'mon man. Houston secondary.

Houston's secondary also got two picks on Brady. But he's Tom Brady. He does that to everyone except Denver. So did Peyton back in his day. Denver's secondary is god like on some days. I'm a Titans fan. I watched Mariota ruin his season completion percentage going like 8/20 or something like that. But the Denver DL is nowhere close to Houston's. Mercilus and Clowney about equal Von and Ware, and Watt then adds a completely different element. I'd take Cush over Marshall. If Houston grabs, say, Johnathen Allen in this year's draft, expect an even tougher front 7. And they do have a VERY good secondary. Not like Denver's, but 200 passing yards a game, without their best pass rusher.

The point is that Denver DL is nowhere close to Houston's, and same goes to Houston secondary against Denver's.

Denver does have better LB corps because of additional edge in possessing arguably the best OLB in the business (Clowney does not equal Von Miller, not even close yet; Marshall and Ware were injured for good parts of this season but does equal) and their secondary isn't impressive enough I feel- not when comparing theirs to one with 3 pro bowlers and 2 all-pros.

So pretty much the equation goes like this :
Houston DL >>>> Denver DL
Houston LB < Denver LB
Houston Secondary <<< Denver Secondary

I'd say fairly even in my regards, with the key notes being that a) Houston's emphasis on DL while Denver's emphasis is on secondary b) divisional matchups with AFC South doing not as well as West, per se c) absence of JJ Watt.

I think the best comparison can be made from 2015 season or will be made in 2017.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Ranoria wrote:Houston's secondary also got two picks on Brady. But he's Tom Brady. He does that to everyone except Denver. So did Peyton back in his day. Denver's secondary is god like on some days. I'm a Titans fan. I watched Mariota ruin his season completion percentage going like 8/20 or something like that. But the Denver DL is nowhere close to Houston's. Mercilus and Clowney about equal Von and Ware, and Watt then adds a completely different element. I'd take Cush over Marshall. If Houston grabs, say, Johnathen Allen in this year's draft, expect an even tougher front 7. And they do have a VERY good secondary. Not like Denver's, but 200 passing yards a game, without their best pass rusher.

The point is that Denver DL is nowhere close to Houston's, and same goes to Houston secondary against Denver's.

Denver does have better LB corps because of additional edge in possessing arguably the best OLB in the business (Clowney does not equal Von Miller, not even close yet; Marshall and Ware were injured for good parts of this season but does equal) and their secondary isn't impressive enough I feel- not when comparing theirs to one with 3 pro bowlers and 2 all-pros.

Houston DL >>>>> Denver DL
Houston LB << Denver LB

I'd say fairly even in my regards, with the key notes being that a) Houston's emphasis on DL while Denver's emphasis is on secondary b) divisional matchups with AFC South doing not as well as West, per se c) absence of JJ Watt.

I think the best comparison can be made from 2015 season or will be made in 2017.

I never said Clowney equals Von. XD Von's the best or second best OLB in the game, but Mercilus and Clowney both produce more than Ware, even when he was younger and healthy last year, and I'd take Cush over Marshall, like I said.
I'd go more...
Houston DL>>>>>Denver DL
Houston LB>Denver LB
Houston Secondary<<<<Denver Secondary.

Regardless of the individual grouping, Houston's team, even this year, had a better defense, and while both team's had injuries, JJ Watt is without a question the best player on either team. Von Miller is the next, and while elite, he's not on the same level, as a pass rusher or as a run stopper, and JJ Watt wasn't in this year at all hardly. (while recovering from surgery, in 3 games he got 1.5 sacks and 8 total tackles. So if we're talking about the best place to go for Romo, it's easily Houston.
Lumi is my NS mom

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:36 am

Romo 100% isn't going to Denver, if I haven't already said that. If he couldn't survive in the team with league's best OL for past 3 seasons, how in the world is he going to survive in Denver with terrible OL?

Ranoria wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:The point is that Denver DL is nowhere close to Houston's, and same goes to Houston secondary against Denver's.

Houston DL >>>>> Denver DL
Houston LB << Denver LB

I never said Clowney equals Von. XD Von's the best or second best OLB in the game, but Mercilus and Clowney both produce more than Ware, even when he was younger and healthy last year, and I'd take Cush over Marshall, like I said.
I'd go more...
Houston DL>>>>>Denver DL
Houston LB>Denver LB

Regardless of the individual grouping, Houston's team, even this year, had a better defense, and while both team's had injuries, JJ Watt is without a question the best player on either team. Von Miller is the next, and while elite, he's not on the same level, as a pass rusher or as a run stopper, and JJ Watt wasn't in this year at all hardly. (while recovering from surgery, in 3 games he got 1.5 sacks and 8 total tackles. So if we're talking about the best place to go for Romo, it's easily Houston.

Once again, you're missing my point. Almost all of Denver's LBs were out for significant periods of time with injury, which takes out the point you're trying to use (doesn't apply for DL because discrepancy's way too great even then). As a result they're forced to use Ray and Davis, both of whom were either rookies or second year players. Even with that the number of sacks generated by Denver LBs were very high and not to mention, they have the best OLB in business in Von Miller, which gives the special edge that Houston LBs do not have at the moment. As a result, you need to either give that one an equal sign or Denver LB > Houston LB because when it matters, I'll take the best and a legend (Ware is becoming one), as well as solid all-arounder over 3 very solid LBs.

In the end, however, it's pointless to compare those 2 defences because they're run and quite differently. Denver defence is pretty much built with strong emphasis on secondaries with blitzing options, something that Del Rio specialised upon, while Houston has a classic Wade Phillips defence with emphasis on DL and LBs. They're dominant on one end and weak on the other, which makes it harder to compare I feel. Denver defence can be better compared with KC's (both had lots of injuries as well), while Houston....I guess Rams defence given how good their defensive front 7 is.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Yeah, the Chiefs D was riddled with injuries last year. I hope everyone can stay healthy through most of the season. No more season ending injuries please!

Empire of Cats
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Cats » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Brief non-sequitur in terms of the above conversation, but I was looking at the two Super Bowl teams for SB LI and I was thinking: I wonder what the fans of their bitterest rivals were thinking?

For example: Saints-Falcons rivalry compared to other years.

Last Year, Super Bowl 50: ("Saints" Fan): Go Panthers! After all, they're in our division.
(Saints Fan): Ugh, bandwagoners.....we do NOT root for the Panthers!

This Year, Super Bowl LI: ("Saints" Fan): Go Falcons! After all, they're in our division.
(Saints Fan): *GASP*
(Next Day's News): A man was found beat up and dumped on the Superdome field with a dead falcon stuffed in his mouth....

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:01 pm

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:Romo 100% isn't going to Denver, if I haven't already said that. If he couldn't survive in the team with league's best OL for past 3 seasons, how in the world is he going to survive in Denver with terrible OL?

Ranoria wrote:I never said Clowney equals Von. XD Von's the best or second best OLB in the game, but Mercilus and Clowney both produce more than Ware, even when he was younger and healthy last year, and I'd take Cush over Marshall, like I said.
I'd go more...
Houston DL>>>>>Denver DL
Houston LB>Denver LB

Once again, you're missing my point. Almost all of Denver's LBs were out for significant periods of time with injury, which takes out the point you're trying to use (doesn't apply for DL because discrepancy's way too great even then). As a result they're forced to use Ray and Davis, both of whom were either rookies or second year players. Even with that the number of sacks generated by Denver LBs were very high and not to mention, they have the best OLB in business in Von Miller, which gives the special edge that Houston LBs do not have at the moment. As a result, you need to either give that one an equal sign or Denver LB > Houston LB because when it matters, I'll take the best and a legend (Ware is becoming one), as well as solid all-arounder over 3 very solid LBs.

In the end, however, it's pointless to compare those 2 defences because they're run and quite differently. Denver defence is pretty much built with strong emphasis on secondaries with blitzing options, something that Del Rio specialised upon, while Houston has a classic Wade Phillips defence with emphasis on DL and LBs. They're dominant on one end and weak on the other, which makes it harder to compare I feel. Denver defence can be better compared with KC's (both had lots of injuries as well), while Houston....I guess Rams defence given how good their defensive front 7 is.

I'm not looking at their stats just for this year. Ware is a stud, a legend, all that, yes, easily, without a doubt. But he's aging, and losing a bit of that dominating speed every year. Even back in 2015, (heck, you can compare Mercilus 2016, a down year for him, to Ware's 2015) Ware was not producing as much as Mercilus. Granted, Ware is almost a pure edge rusher at this point, but at the same time, while Jadaveon Clowney was disruptive (someone on sports center, laughably, said he was almost as disruptive as Watt) Von was dominant.

I agree though, the defenses are run completely differently. To me, Denver's defense seems to be completely, and beyond a doubt, built around one thing: Disruption. They have a dominant edge rusher in Von Miller, Marshall can blitz if need be, their DBs blitz a good deal of the time, Ware is a weak-side, but still scary, pass rusher who helps make the best pass rushing LB duo in the country, and that DL, at least Wolfe, knows how to get to the QB, while the secondary is called a no fly zone for good reason. Turnovers, sacks, TFL, and just breaking the spirit of the opposing offense seems to be Denver's thing.

Houston, meanwhile, seems to be more of a basic, but still shutdown, defense. They aren't going to get a huge total of sacks or turnovers, but you're going to have trouble moving the ball on them. I do think you should give more credit to a secondary that allowed only 200 passing yards per game though.
Lumi is my NS mom

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Ranoria wrote:Look, I'm not a Brady fan. I walk around my house (along with de mi padre) saying 'Sheriff' any time we can make the most obscure reference to him.

But 5 super bowls. Look, I think Peyton was the best to ever play the game. But GOAT? No. I can't, not anymore.

To ask you a simpler question....who's the greater QB in 70s for you? Staubach or Bradshaw?

You're forgetting something important that makes this comparison a bit apples to oranges.

Brady and Manning have been statistically comparable for a pretty long time. There are arguments to be made for either one of them as GOAT, if you know what you're doing. In this way, the ring count can make a bit of a difference—Brady has five while Manning has two. But in the cases of Bradshaw and Staubach, the superior quarterback isn't hard to pick out—it's obviously Staubach. Better completion percentage (by a factor of nearly 10% at 5.1 percentage points!), better TD/INT ratio, more yards/game passing, and the fact that Bradshaw always had more talented squads around him than Staubach makes it abundantly clear who the better quarterback is. It's undoubtedly Staubach, and his title deficit is irrelevant in the face of the other mitigating factors I just listed.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:To ask you a simpler question....who's the greater QB in 70s for you? Staubach or Bradshaw?

You're forgetting something important that makes this comparison a bit apples to oranges.

Brady and Manning have been statistically comparable for a pretty long time. There are arguments to be made for either one of them as GOAT, if you know what you're doing. In this way, the ring count can make a bit of a difference—Brady has five while Manning has two. But in the cases of Bradshaw and Staubach, the superior quarterback isn't hard to pick out—it's obviously Staubach. Better completion percentage (by a factor of nearly 10% at 5.1 percentage points!), better TD/INT ratio, more yards/game passing, and the fact that Bradshaw always had more talented squads around him than Staubach makes it abundantly clear who the better quarterback is. It's undoubtedly Staubach, and his title deficit is irrelevant in the face of the other mitigating factors I just listed.

You answered my question! Thank you very much.

Now, I'll just let you know that we have good parallels to compare to because super bowl ring counts as overall team achievement, not just that of one QB. Just using that won't cut it because as we have seen it with Dan Marino's Miami against Jim Kelly's Buffalo or John Elway's Denver.

Indianapolis had terrible defence most of the years, especially down in the secondaries, while NE had very strong defence especially on secondaries. Dallas defence was not as star-studded as Pittsburgh's steel curtain defence, not even close. Parallels?

Manning has achieved countless of records and achievements (5 league MVPs, etc, etc), as well as being able to revolutionise the position and the game (some of which Brady now uses), which really makes the title deficit irrelevant.

Happy 420 Friends!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:To ask you a simpler question....who's the greater QB in 70s for you? Staubach or Bradshaw?

You admitted that there are arguments!

Progress! :D

My teacher didn't know who Peyton Manning was. We were discussing stem cell research, my cousin brought up Manning, and she didn't know. Class turned into a half hour lecture on the greatness of Peyton Manning. XD
Lumi is my NS mom

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:You're forgetting something important that makes this comparison a bit apples to oranges.

You admitted that there are arguments!

My teacher didn't know who Peyton Manning was. We were discussing stem cell research, my cousin brought up Manning, and she didn't know. Class turned into a half hour lecture on the greatness of Peyton Manning. XD

I'm jealous of you, Ranoria. None of my high school friends watch football and my best friend in college he's a longtime Patriots fan. He also played starting QB back in HS for 3 years. We have healthy dose of conversations about Brady vs. Manning and end up just agreeing that we'll miss those guys when all retires :P

*sigh* Now only if my woman watches football.....
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Ranoria wrote:You admitted that there are arguments!

I'm jealous of you, Ranoria. None of my high school friends watch football and my best friend in college he's a longtime Patriots fan. He also played starting QB back in HS for 3 years. We have healthy dose of conversations about Brady vs. Manning and end up just agreeing that we'll miss those guys when all retires :P

*sigh* Now only if my woman watches football.....

XD My football team makes up a good third of my grade, since we're a small school, and our conversations generally go like this.
Key: Ginger is a redskins fan, I am a Titans fan, lard is a giants fan, brownies are browns fan, mah cousin's a falcons fan (panthers last year. Go figure)
(2 months before pre season)
Me: $20 Browns don't win a game this year
Cousin: Deal.

(Early season)
Me: God the Titans can't pull it together. Mike Mularkey's offense is something out of the 19th century and it's ruining Demarco's ability to contribute and Mariota's development
Ginger: Kirk cousins can't throw the ball.
Lard: It's 2007. the 18-0 New England
Brownies: Shut up.

(Mid season)
Me: Titans are looking good. Like I said last year, 2018 will be our year.
Ginger: Kirk Cousins is getting paid this much money? God.
Cousin: How bout Matt Ryan tho.
Me: So, how bout them Browns tho?
Cousin: I'm going to owe you money.
Brownies: If we had 22 Terelle Pryors...
Lard: Patriots are facing the 9-7, 6th seed New York Giants...
All: Shut up.

(Late Season)
Ginger: Kirk Cousins is the best thing that ever happened to the world. He easily deserves League MVP, hell, give him defensive player of the year award for making our defense's life so easy
Me: Demarco Train Don't Stop, Marcus Mariota will lead us to the promised land
Cousin: Matt Ryan's time, baby.
Lard: Eli has time for one final drive. His Offensive Line collapses, leaving him to avoid 4 sacks...
All: Shut up.

(Week 15)
Me: Dammit. Josh Lambo needs to be cut. And how does Philip Rivers steamroll the Titans defense but he CAN'T PUT UP TWENTY AGAINST THE BROWNS!?
Cousin: Heh.
Lard: AND VICTOR CRUZ CATCHES IT, setting up for the game winning touchdown!

(Post season)
Lard: How 'bout them Giants?
All: *collective sigh*

I play defensive end, full back, tight end, plus a bit of tackle, guard, defensive tackle, and receiver. DE's my main spot. Hence my realization that JJ Watt is the third coming of Christ. (Breesus was the second)
Lumi is my NS mom

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Good lesson of the story : Don't have too many kids. Else, you may even struggle to beat Cleveland Browns as a QB :p

I'm looking at you Antonio Cromartie. ;)

For me I was unable to play football back in high school (there were many reasons), but if I did play I would have been a safety.

My family friend, who started 4 years as a DT on a varsity team back in 00s (it was at a school in New England, don't remember where though), has been Dolphins fan for almost 3 decades now (he moved from Korea in 86, I think). He told me countless stories of Dan Marino, lol. Also, a good friend of mine back in high school played as reserve DT back in JV....it made sense given his size. lol.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Trumpostan
Minister

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:06 am

Ranoria wrote:
Val Halla wrote:See that doesn't completely work. What about the centre?

JJ Watt is a better player than Gronk though

I completely agree. JJ Watt is the best player to ever step foot in any athletic competitive field/court.

I completely disagree :p
I do not support Donald J. Trump
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!
Make Maine Massachusetts again!

Trumpostan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:12 am

Arkinesia wrote:

The best argument would be that Tom Brady is willing to "hurt" his own stats so that others around him can be better. Peyton is known for being a classless j***ass who loved to pad his own numbers even in garbage time, often to the detriment of those around him. But one cannot deny that Peyton holds the "most playoff losses" and "most one-and-done" records :twisted:

The media loved this guy for some reason, despite his shady history and him and daddy smearing an athletics trainer costing her a career. Guy completes one pass and they're anointing him MVP. He's the worst player on the field but for Rex Grossman yet still gets the SB MVP... and despite a complete lack of evidence I'm still not buying this guys bogus HGH story. That is one alternative fact I shall bitterly cling to forever! But wait... bitter? Five rings baby! Leading winning Super Bowl drives when it matters the most, unlike Peyton "pick-6" in his big games.
Last edited by Trumpostan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inverted Flag Law: US Code Title 4 Section 8 Paragraph (a): The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
The United States of America has been in a state of dire distress since November 8, 2016. Flying the flag upside down is not only our right, it is our duty!

Empire of Cats
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Cats » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:48 am

Trumpostan wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:You're forgetting something important that makes this comparison a bit apples to oranges.

The best argument would be that Tom Brady is willing to "hurt" his own stats so that others around him can be better. Peyton is known for being a classless j***ass who loved to pad his own numbers even in garbage time, often to the detriment of those around him. But one cannot deny that Peyton holds the "most playoff losses" and "most one-and-done" records :twisted:

The media loved this guy for some reason, despite his shady history and him and daddy smearing an athletics trainer costing her a career. Guy completes one pass and they're anointing him MVP. He's the worst player on the field but for Rex Grossman yet still gets the SB MVP... and despite a complete lack of evidence I'm still not buying this guys bogus HGH story. That is one alternative fact I shall bitterly cling to forever! But wait... bitter? Five rings baby! Leading winning Super Bowl drives when it matters the most, unlike Peyton "pick-6" in his big games.

And yet there's still Andy Dalton, the Red Rifle, and Marvin Lewis. 0-7 PLAYOFF RECORD, BABY! WHOOO! SUPER BOWL, HERE WE COME!

Yeah, we're really living' the dream here.......(sarcasm)

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:06 am

Trumpostan wrote:

Did Manning have good defence in front of his teams most of the years? Of course not. Super Bowl rings, as I've said many times before, is a team achievement....

Also Brady, not Manning, was guilty of padding his stats during 07 season.

Using unverified accusations does not prove anything. You stoop to Ameriganastan's level by doing that. Ironic because your nation claims to be parodying Trump but hey, seems like you want to be Trump when it comes to that :p
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

Trumpostan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Trumpostan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:24 am

Trumpostan wrote:

Did Manning have good defence in front of his teams most of the years? Of course not. Super Bowl rings, as I've said many times before, is a team achievement....

Using unverified accusations does not prove anything. You stoop to Ameriganastan's level by doing that. Ironic because your nation claims to be parodying Trump but hey, seems like you want to be Trump when it comes to that :p

At least I specifically noted it was an unverified accusation, and not presenting it as a matter of fact.

Any idea why Peyton Manning often lacked good personnel around him? You kind of need money for that, and when one player takes up a huge chunk of a team's salary cap, that ain't happening. Unlike with Tom Terrific who has his contract restructured time and again. Just a couple of million can get you that one extra talent on D that you need to not get burned all the time.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

Tom's contract when counted against the cap for 2017 ranks him 22nd, behind such luminaries as Tyrod Taylor, Sam Bradford, Brock Osweiler and Carson Palmer. That's how we can afford to get more good players in to help. But when one big contract takes up so much space that you have to economize elsewhere, that would explain why a certain team wasn't able to get more help on defense for quite some time. Plus the Colts suck at drafting (except when they deliberately tanked to get Luck).

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:33 am

Trumpostan wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:Did Manning have good defence in front of his teams most of the years? Of course not. Super Bowl rings, as I've said many times before, is a team achievement....

At least I specifically noted it was an unverified accusation, and not presenting it as a matter of fact.

Any idea why Peyton Manning often lacked good personnel around him? You kind of need money for that, and when one player takes up a huge chunk of a team's salary cap, that ain't happening. Unlike with Tom Terrific who has his contract restructured time and again. Just a couple of million can get you that one extra talent on D that you need to not get burned all the time.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

Tom's contract when counted against the cap for 2017 ranks him 22nd, behind such luminaries as Tyrod Taylor, Sam Bradford, Brock Osweiler and Carson Palmer. That's how we can afford to get more good players in to help. But when one big contract takes up so much space that you have to economize elsewhere, that would explain why a certain team wasn't able to get more help on defense for quite some time. Plus the Colts suck at drafting (except when they deliberately tanked to get Luck).

I know. But whole mooning thing at Tennessee, you need to take it like Deflategate. Tolerating it for one and not for other is double standard.

And with such question like blaming Manning for taking too much money you're being ridiculous around that. Patriots did have significant talent developed in both sides of the ball which meant that they did not require particular FA signings unless absolutely necessary. By that way once they were asking for "Von Miller money", they could just trade them away or let them go. Colts simply were not as good at developing or drafting talent as Patriots were, and as a result were unable to let go of some key players as necessary (e.g. Reggie Wayne in post-Manning years). That's where some of the extra money might have went, even though as we know of now with Luck's contract....Irsay might have played into that.

Manning did restructure his contract a fair number of times, as far as I recall. And for last season he played, Manning received $15 million, which is roughly around the level Brady received last year, so there's no difference with those two. Once again this was taking account into that Broncos drafting was really good for past half-decade Elway was around, even though that his rapid decline wasn't taken accounted for earlier. Ultimately claiming one's superiority over other when it comes to something that both have done is just....uh, I don't know what to say about that.

And yes, Colts do suck at drafting. That's been the case, especially after Polian left.
Last edited by The Royal Kingdom of Quebec on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Happy 420 Friends!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General