NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Unfortunately we are losing our offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. So that's not fun

Take Todd Haley from us, if you want. I'm not very attached to him.

How attached are you to Tomlin then?
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:I saw that, but I haven't seen any reputable reports to corroborate that. Probably an edit by a butthurt Pittsburgh fan who likes Haley even less than I do.

I doubt that he's been fired so soon. That's something a hotheaded idiot like Bob Irsay would have done.

Well I haven't seen anything on ESPN so it's probably just a butthurt fan.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Neo-Ixania wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
This whole thing started with your post about the Cavs, the Cubs and the Chiefs thing, remember? I pointed out left forgot the NHL, so... thats how the Caps came in to the conversation as a deserving long downtrodden candidate for an NHL championship. Of course they have to actually win it. Who do you think they are? Donald Trump? :rofl:

Yes, of course they have to actually win it, but if they did, I wouldn't say they deserved to win it.

Well I would. Hockey is hard.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Take Todd Haley from us, if you want. I'm not very attached to him.

On a scale of 1-10? Probably a five. He's better than the guys that have been getting hired the past couple weeks, but he makes really questionable calls far too often.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
I doubt that he's been fired so soon. That's something a hotheaded idiot like Bob Irsay would have done.

Well I haven't seen anything on ESPN so it's probably just a butthurt fan.

Butthurt Fan Fake News! Omigod.

Neo-Ixania
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Ixania » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Neo-Ixania wrote:
Yes, of course they have to actually win it, but if they did, I wouldn't say they deserved to win it.

True, but like Lebron James once said: "Earned, not given."
Veteran of the Jolt Forums.
Monarch: Anastasia II, Empress of Ixania.
New Kereptica wrote:OOC: Because casus belli are for sissies.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

On a scale of 1-10? Probably a five. He's better than the guys that have been getting hired the past couple weeks, but he makes really questionable calls far too often.

All of the NFL headcoaches look like 5's next to Belichick. But OTOH, they all still have their souls. :lol2:

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:On a scale of 1-10? Probably a five. He's better than the guys that have been getting hired the past couple weeks, but he makes really questionable calls far too often.

All of the NFL headcoaches look like 5's next to Belichick. But OTOH, they all still have their souls. :lol2:

Idk, Dan Quinn is pretty damn good. He's only been the headcoach for 2 years and the Falcons are already going to the super bowl.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:15 pm

Neo-Ixania wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Yep. In sports when you win it, you've earn it. That's just how sports work. But they all get paid like Kings either way. Makes them winners of a sort by some accounting. ;)

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Idk, Dan Quinn is pretty damn good. He's only been the headcoach for 2 years and the Falcons are already going to the super bowl.

He inherited a lot of good players near to or in their primes. Put him in Cleveland and maybe he's not so great. Remember, Belichick WAS in Cleveland and was 11-5 in 1994.
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:On a scale of 1-10? Probably a five. He's better than the guys that have been getting hired the past couple weeks, but he makes really questionable calls far too often.

It's a shame about Kubiak. I thought he was pretty good.
I was also skeptical when Atlanta fired Mike Smith, but Dan Quinn has worked out well for them.

Here's a question for you. Who do you think is the second best HC in the NFL right now?
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Idk, Dan Quinn is pretty damn good. He's only been the headcoach for 2 years and the Falcons are already going to the super bowl.

He inherited a lot of good players near to or in their primes. Put him in Cleveland and maybe he's not so great. Remember, Belichick WAS in Cleveland and was 11-5 in 1994.

From what I see, it seems like Quinn took a good team, but managed to get more out of them than Mike Smith ever could. So yeah, he walked into a pretty decent situation, but he's made the most of it.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

I was also skeptical when Atlanta fired Mike Smith, but Dan Quinn has worked out well for them.

Here's a question for you. Who do you think is the second best HC in the NFL right now?

Off the top of my head? Well, Pete Carroll would be except for that one play he called with 20 seconds left in SB 49. >:(

Maybe it's still him anyway.
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Ixania
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Ixania » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Neo-Ixania wrote:

Yep. In sports when you win it, you've earn it. That's just how sports work. But they all get paid like Kings either way. Makes them winners of a sort by some accounting. ;)

Some end up kings like Mario Lemieux. Others end up peasants like the rest of us like Antoine Walker.
Veteran of the Jolt Forums.
Monarch: Anastasia II, Empress of Ixania.
New Kereptica wrote:OOC: Because casus belli are for sissies.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

I was glad when they fired Mike Smith
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Neo-Ixania wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Some end up kings like Mario Lemieux. Others end up peasants like the rest of us like Antoine Walker.

All of them need to make good financial decisions after they get paid. Many don't. Cal Ripken is one rich SOB now.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:It's a shame about Kubiak. I thought he was pretty good.

Off the top of my head? Well, Pete Carroll would be except for that one play he called with 20 seconds left in SB 49. >:(

Maybe it's still him anyway.

He's one of the ones who came to mind when I asked. Also McCarthy (despite today's loss).
Dark horses might be Ron Rivera and Bruce Arians.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

I was glad when they fired Mike Smith

He was one of many former Raven assistant coaches that became headcoaches after their stints with the Ravens. It's amazing how many there have been. None have won the SB prize though, but I'd bet on Jack Del Rio possibly getting there in the next few years.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Behind Belichick?
...Well...
Last edited by Luminesa on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I was glad when they fired Mike Smith

He was one of many former Raven assistant coaches that became headcoaches after their stints with the Ravens. It's amazing how many there have been. None have won the SB prize though, but I'd bet on Jack Del Rio possibly getting there in the next few years.

The Raiders? :eyebrow: Are you serious?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

We all know Mike Mularkey's going to get the next ten or twenty lombardi trophies for the Titans.

*glances around to see everyone laughing*

What?
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Luminesa wrote:

Behind Belichick?
...Well...

Let me guess his name begins with a "P" and ends with a "N"?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Did you see Derek Carr this season? After Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and Rodgers retire, he might be the best QB in the league.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The Raiders? :eyebrow: Are you serious?

Did you see Derek Carr this season? After Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and Rodgers retire, he might be the best QB in the league.

Aren't you forgetting someone? And no I really didn't see them this year
Last edited by Thermodolia on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Did you see Derek Carr this season? After Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger and Rodgers retire, he might be the best QB in the league.

Aren't you forgetting someone? And no I really didn't see them this year

You mean Marcus?

Derek Carr was brilliant this season though, really. Really fun to watch. If they can beef up their D a tiny bit more, that team will become terrifying. Actually, they already are.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General