NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:11 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:20K fine for a basic sack. Not just a penalty. A fine for what is a pretty light sack. Welcome to the modern NFL folks.

Yeah. That's a big pile of money to pay for a big pile of nothing.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:20K fine for a basic sack. Not just a penalty. A fine for what is a pretty light sack. Welcome to the modern NFL folks.

It's honestly ridiculous. At this rate, the league's going to lose the violence and grit that make football what it is. Really sad, honestly.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:44 am

Ranoria wrote:

It's honestly ridiculous. At this rate, the league's going to lose the violence and grit that make football what it is. Really sad, honestly.

I'd honestly be in favour of no holds barred football. In high school and maybe college? No. But in the pro game, these guys know what they're getting themselves into. Concussions and the resultant side effects are an occupational hazard.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 am

Denver strip clubs better watch out
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 pm

The Giants have locked up Odell Beckham for the foreseeable future. Beckham and the Giants have agreed to a 5-year, $95,000,000 contract extension. $65 million of that contract is guaranteed.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Idzequitch wrote:The Giants have locked up Odell Beckham for the foreseeable future. Beckham and the Giants have agreed to a 5-year, $95,000,000 contract extension. $65 million of that contract is guaranteed.

Why do I imagine the steelers front office just shit bricks after seeing that headline.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:36 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The Giants have locked up Odell Beckham for the foreseeable future. Beckham and the Giants have agreed to a 5-year, $95,000,000 contract extension. $65 million of that contract is guaranteed.

Why do I imagine the steelers front office just shit bricks after seeing that headline.

Odell is making an average of $19 million/yr on this new contract. Brown is under contract for four more years, and already making an average of $17 million/yr.

So yes, the price tag goes up (as it always seems to do) but not too hugely (by NFL standards, that is. $2 million might as well be infinity as far as I would be concerned :P )
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Why do I imagine the steelers front office just shit bricks after seeing that headline.

Odell is making an average of $19 million/yr on this new contract. Brown is under contract for four more years, and already making an average of $17 million/yr.

So yes, the price tag goes up (as it always seems to do) but not too hugely (by NFL standards, that is. $2 million might as well be infinity as far as I would be concerned :P )

I was thinking more Bell and Primadonna squad that is the rest of thier recieving corp

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 pm

Idzequitch wrote:Odell is making an average of $19 million/yr on this new contract. Brown is under contract for four more years, and already making an average of $17 million/yr.

I was thinking more Bell and Primadonna squad that is the rest of thier recieving corp

I think we've pretty well established that Bell isn't getting what he wants. Not from Pittsburgh at least. He's a massively talented guy with an even more massive head. The Steelers don't roll that way.

Not sure what primadonna WR's you're speaking of. I'm just hoping JuJu Smith-Schuster continues building off last season. He's a dangerous guy across from AB.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Datlofff
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 am

Whelp after these 5 years I'd imagine he could retire nicely XD
Im a slightly Authoritarian Moderate, I believe limited monarchies are the best systems of government, and that every 2016 presidential candidate was an idiot.
I personally feel that most people, in the act of trying to sound smart, often usually don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 am

I mean, those are some huge numbers.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:53 am

Luminesa wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:Why do I imagine the steelers front office just shit bricks after seeing that headline.

I mean, those are some huge numbers.

Wow. That's a bunch of cabbage for Beckham. I wonder if there are any interesting clauses in his contract about conduct.

Ravens trade Kam Correa to Titans for draft pick

The guy was great against 2nd & 3rd tier talent in the first preseason game vs the Bears. He still seems outmatched by first team players. Luckily the Ravens are stacked at LB and made a good decision.
Kam might be able to latch on with the Ravens' former DC Dean Pees in Tennessee for awhile. He can provide depth.
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 am

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Luminesa wrote:I mean, those are some huge numbers.

Wow. That's a bunch of cabbage for Beckham. I wonder if there are any interesting clauses in his contract about conduct.

The guy was great against 2nd & 3rd tier talent in the first preseason game vs the Bears. He still seems outmatched by first team players. Luckily the Ravens are stacked at LB and made a good decision.
Kam might be able to latch on with the Ravens' former DC Dean Pees in Tennessee for awhile. He can provide depth.

As a giants fan, unless it results in him getting suspended, Beckham can do whatever the fuck he likes. Give the giants franchise a 'bad image?' I don't care: people want to go to teams based on how they perform, not based on whether their wr gets involved in a few fights at night clubs and the like. He's shown that if the giants defend him against all the accusations, he will perform for them: if they keep throwing him under the bus, of course he's going to get angry and dissatisfied with the organisation.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:34 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

As a giants fan, unless it results in him getting suspended, Beckham can do whatever the fuck he likes. Give the giants franchise a 'bad image?' I don't care: people want to go to teams based on how they perform, not based on whether their wr gets involved in a few fights at night clubs and the like. He's shown that if the giants defend him against all the accusations, he will perform for them: if they keep throwing him under the bus, of course he's going to get angry and dissatisfied with the organisation.

Your caveat is Beckham getting an NFL suspension. Ok. Fact is a player can get suspended pretty easily.
What if he takes a knee? lol.

$95 million is also the most $$$ I've seen going to a non-QB on a fucking team that won only 3 measly games last season. And it's not like the giants have been to the promised land with Beckham.
I feel from past experiences with many players the extra money will not make him a better player, maybe worse. OTOH, if nobody on defense is allowed to tackle anymore, he could go wild and then he'll want more $$$. :eyebrow:

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:As a giants fan, unless it results in him getting suspended, Beckham can do whatever the fuck he likes. Give the giants franchise a 'bad image?' I don't care: people want to go to teams based on how they perform, not based on whether their wr gets involved in a few fights at night clubs and the like. He's shown that if the giants defend him against all the accusations, he will perform for them: if they keep throwing him under the bus, of course he's going to get angry and dissatisfied with the organisation.

Your caveat is Beckham getting an NFL suspension. Ok. Fact is a player can get suspended pretty easily.

$95 million is also the most $$$ I've seen going to a non-QB on a fucking team that won only 3 measly games last season. And it's not like the giants have been to the promised land with Beckham.
I feel from past experiences with many players the extra money will not make him a better player, maybe worse. OTOH, if nobody on defense is allowed to tackle anymore, he could go wild and then he'll want more $$$. :eyebrow:

The thing I don't understand is that the bigger these star player contracts are, the less cap room the team has to put any decent talent around the star player. So depending on the team (and in Beckham's case, I wouldn't trust NYG to do this) might it not make sense for an elite guy to take a middling contract so the team can attract more talent?

Of course, I'm taking the old fashioned approach and assuming that winning is more important than the dollar signs. Silly me.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

The thing I don't understand is that the bigger these star player contracts are, the less cap room the team has to put any decent talent around the star player. So depending on the team (and in Beckham's case, I wouldn't trust NYG to do this) might it not make sense for an elite guy to take a middling contract so the team can attract more talent?

Of course, I'm taking the old fashioned approach and assuming that winning is more important than the dollar signs. Silly me.

Beckham was very much in the situation of 'pay me like a whole small caribian country or I'll find someone else who will.'

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Yes, yes!
Actually winning should lead to the dollar signs, not the other way around but Iam old school. Oh but Beckham is a fantasy football star, lmao.
In nyc they have money to burn I guess. It's counterintuitive to the salary cap though. I dunno how that will work.

Maybe their fans just says "fuck" three times (it's n.y.) and then click some ruby red thingamajigs.... and it's on to the Super Bowl! Oh, silly me too.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Idzequitch wrote:The thing I don't understand is that the bigger these star player contracts are, the less cap room the team has to put any decent talent around the star player. So depending on the team (and in Beckham's case, I wouldn't trust NYG to do this) might it not make sense for an elite guy to take a middling contract so the team can attract more talent?

Beckham was very much in the situation of 'pay me like a whole small caribian country or I'll find someone else who will.'

And he'd better enjoy that small Caribbean country, because in so doing, I believe he has handicapped his chances of playing in meaningful games in January, much less February.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Beckham was very much in the situation of 'pay me like a whole small caribian country or I'll find someone else who will.'

And he'd better enjoy that small Caribbean country, because in so doing, I believe he has handicapped his chances of playing in meaningful games in January, much less February.

Haiti is a small Caribbean country. But, lol, I don't think it's that one. Jamaica? Anyhoo... the weather is best in any of those countries during the NFL playoffs. ;)

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Beckham was very much in the situation of 'pay me like a whole small caribian country or I'll find someone else who will.'

Until the giants sort their organisation out above the players, they could have a team about as good as a 4-person league winning fantasy team and they'd still play badly. When a franchise isn't on good terms with its players, they won't play to their best for it.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Idzequitch wrote:And he'd better enjoy that small Caribbean country, because in so doing, I believe he has handicapped his chances of playing in meaningful games in January, much less February.

Until the giants sort their organisation out above the players, they could have a team about as good as a 4-person league winning fantasy team and they'd still play badly. When a franchise isn't on good terms with its players, they won't play to their best for it.

So very true. The Baltimore Orioles organization is an example of this in baseball. Their solution is blow up the team. The problems aren't just the players on the team.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Datlofff wrote:

Whelp after these 5 years I'd imagine he could retire nicely XD

Can I just point out that this is 1 mil less than the contract Manning signed with the Broncos? And Odell will actually make more, considering when Peyton retired? That's insane, how much the NFL's price tags go up every season.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:34 pm

Idzequitch wrote:

Completely disagree. The Giants aren't in a position to sign many guys right now, and by doing this 5 year contract, they'll actually have him on a discount by 2021, and since the cap climbs every year, the long term contract helps the team in the future (and now, by getting their best man on the field) and gives Beckham not only security, but what he wants: Dollars. They're in win-now mode right now. This will hopefully give Odell some incentive, because for all the hype Saquon has gotten, Beckham is this offense's engine.
Lumi is my NS mom

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:50 am

Browns LB Mychal Kendricks Charged with Insider Trading

Well kids, stay away from your friends that deal drugs or end up working for Goldman Sachs. :eyebrow:
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General