NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I don't think the OL intended for him to be injured, I said they allowed him to get sacked until he was hurt. Which is what happened. I very much believe that they allowed him to be sacked repeatedly.

That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

the bills O-line did the same thing in the Chargers game last year. They even caught the Chargers D-line talking about it because one of the guys was mic'd up.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I don't think the OL intended for him to be injured, I said they allowed him to get sacked until he was hurt. Which is what happened. I very much believe that they allowed him to be sacked repeatedly.

That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

They let him get sacked until he happened to get hurt. The injury itself probably wasn't intentional, but they allowed him to get sacked until he got injured, regardless.

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

the bills O-line did the same thing in the Chargers game last year. They even caught the Chargers D-line talking about it because one of the guys was mic'd up.

Wasn't tat with Nathan Peterman? Those guys had to be pissed. He shouldn't be in the NFL.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:27 am

Fantasy Thread is up and running.

Oh great mods, please spare me for posting this here.

*Leaves cookies
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 pm

...apparently Colin Kaepernick rhymes with "pack and shit"

*in deep voice* ...It's in the GAME.

lmao
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:13 pm

First game of 2018 season tonight at 8:00 PM...

Baltimore Ravens vs. Chicago Bears

NBC-TV
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:First game of 2018 season tonight at 8:00 PM...

NBC-TV

The team specific NS account has resurfaced for just such an occasion, eh?
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Idzequitch wrote:

NBC-TV

The team specific NS account has resurfaced for just such an occasion, eh?

I guess NS Steelers fans just aren't that into their teams as NS Ravens fans. :p

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:06 am

NBC-TV

Last I saw, Baltimore was winning 10-7. I see the Raven won, barely with 17-16.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:40 am

Zurkerx wrote:

NBC-TV

The game was devoid of starters and plays you'd see in a regular season game other than the sheer basics. The good news is no one on either team got carted off the field.

The bad news is we have entered the "arm tackling" era of NFL football. If you saw the penalties for leading with the head in this game, well, they were quite ticky-tacky when compared to years past. But that's the impact of the CTE study from BU and the rule changes just implemented. I think the players and the officials have a nightmare on their hands. It's going to be a real big problem for awhile relearning how to tackle legally and getting the vast majority of these sorts of calls correct. Fans will not like this.

Lamar Jackson played the second half. He also looked like a rookie, which he is. His bursts of speed at times looked pretty scary too. Especially if defenses are arm tackling.
He threw for a TD and had one int. The Ravens and Bears both featured some potentially good players that will make runs at starting jobs. For a Hall of Fame game it was rather atypical, in that it was well played with few procedure penalties.

I was a bit disappointed to see old Walt Coleman (referee #65) is still staggering around out there. He's blown a lot of calls in his years and should keep to his dairy farm down in AR. He's had his day.
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:15 am

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:I was a bit disappointed to see old Walt Coleman (referee #65) is still staggering around out there. He's blown a lot of calls in his years and should keep to his dairy farm down in AR. He's had his day.

I felt the same way seeing him out there. He's a consistently terrible referee.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:32 am

RiderSyl wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:I was a bit disappointed to see old Walt Coleman (referee #65) is still staggering around out there. He's blown a lot of calls in his years and should keep to his dairy farm down in AR. He's had his day.

I felt the same way seeing him out there. He's a consistently terrible referee.

Dude's crew throws a flag on almost every kickoff for phantom blocks in the back. Getting rid of kickoffs would solve that though. :(

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm

> Looks at Saints schedule.

> We play the Ravens in Baltimore.

> MFW

Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Luminesa wrote:> Looks at Saints schedule.

> MFW

(Image)

LOL.

I am watching the CFL. Johnny Football's first game at home in Montreal with the Alouettes. They're losing to the Hamilton Tigercats 38-3 at half.
Johnny's tossed 3 ints already. It was 28-0 after the first quarter. :blink:

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Gee, it's almost like switching countries doesn't change him being a washout in the pros...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Gee, it's almost like switching countries doesn't change him being a washout in the pros...

I think he went up there for the legal weed. :lol:

EDIT: Johnny Football threw 4 ints and was finally pulled from the game in the second half losing 47-3. Final- Hamilton 51 Montreal 11.

Funny thing... Johnny Manzeil's head coach is now Mike Sherman, who was once head coach back at Texas Tech. So they share a connection. May have recruited him.
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

The game was devoid of starters and plays you'd see in a regular season game other than the sheer basics. The good news is no one on either team got carted off the field.

The bad news is we have entered the "arm tackling" era of NFL football. If you saw the penalties for leading with the head in this game, well, they were quite ticky-tacky when compared to years past. But that's the impact of the CTE study from BU and the rule changes just implemented. I think the players and the officials have a nightmare on their hands. It's going to be a real big problem for awhile relearning how to tackle legally and getting the vast majority of these sorts of calls correct. Fans will not like this.

Lamar Jackson played the second half. He also looked like a rookie, which he is. His bursts of speed at times looked pretty scary too. Especially if defenses are arm tackling.
He threw for a TD and had one int. The Ravens and Bears both featured some potentially good players that will make runs at starting jobs. For a Hall of Fame game it was rather atypical, in that it was well played with few procedure penalties.

I was a bit disappointed to see old Walt Coleman (referee #65) is still staggering around out there. He's blown a lot of calls in his years and should keep to his dairy farm down in AR. He's had his day.

Honestly I was a little underwhelmed with Lamar's speed. I know it's preseason but I expected at least one big play on the ground. He had a couple pretty balls though, which is more than I expected.

> MFW

(Image)

The Saints are a significantly better team. I would say Baltimore has the edge on the DL, cornerbacks, and safeties. Now granted, New Orleans has the BEST corner and DL on the field.

As for Manziel, eh, he had three or four days of practices man. Hamilton was probably expecting them to play him on short notice, and they did. The guy's good enough to tear apart the CFL.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 am

Johnny Cyprien's down with an ACL. Not a huge piece, but he was a solid run defender and a hard-hitting SS. I'd love to say that I can see rookie Dave Cruikshank stepping up to fill the role, but Kenny Vaccaro might be a more realistic option. Not a huge Eric Reid guy but he's out there, as is Lardarious Webb. Webb's older, though, I'm not sure whether he can still run with these guys or not.
Lumi is my NS mom

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 am

> MFW

(Image)

You've got the mighty giants haven't you? You're fucked!
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:48 am

Ranoria wrote:Johnny Cyprien's down with an ACL. Not a huge piece, but he was a solid run defender and a hard-hitting SS. I'd love to say that I can see rookie Dave Cruikshank stepping up to fill the role, but Kenny Vaccaro might be a more realistic option. Not a huge Eric Reid guy but he's out there, as is Lardarious Webb. Webb's older, though, I'm not sure whether he can still run with these guys or not.

Update if anyone cares: Titans signing Vaccaro to a 1 year deal. As far as I'm aware he's a solid guy, but it's worrisome that he was available this late in the offseason.
Lumi is my NS mom

Mikoyansk
Envoy

Founded: Jul 30, 2015

Postby Mikoyansk » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

They let him get sacked until he happened to get hurt. The injury itself probably wasn't intentional, but they allowed him to get sacked until he got injured, regardless.

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:the bills O-line did the same thing in the Chargers game last year. They even caught the Chargers D-line talking about it because one of the guys was mic'd up.

Wasn't tat with Nathan Peterman? Those guys had to be pissed. He shouldn't be in the NFL.

As a Chargers fan that lives in Bills country and has a fair number of Chargers players (at least Rivers and Gates), I was thanking Bills fans for a WEEK for the over 150 points in Fantasy in one game.
Bеличественный имперский монархия Микоянанск/Grand Imperial Monarchy of Mikoyansk
Для славы нашей Родины!/For the glory of our Motherland!
Factbook
INTP-A

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Mikoyansk wrote:
Ranoria wrote:They let him get sacked until he happened to get hurt. The injury itself probably wasn't intentional, but they allowed him to get sacked until he got injured, regardless.

As a Chargers fan that lives in Bills country and has a fair number of Chargers players (at least Rivers and Gates), I was thanking Bills fans for a WEEK for the over 150 points in Fantasy in one game.

Oh my god, how is that even possible?

See, I played OL, and I wasn't very good, but I don't think I have it in me to not give everything. Makes me mad that they did it, but hell, at least you won your fantasy game. XD
Lumi is my NS mom

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Boo. Fucking. Hoo. So it took you a couple tries to get in. It took Robert Brazile 25 freaking years. So quit your bitching.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:22 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Boo. Fucking. Hoo. So it took you a couple tries to get in. It took Robert Brazile 25 freaking years. So quit your bitching.

He's a fucking idiot. The kind that cuts his nose off to spite his face.... :twisted: ....Great receiver though.

Puraykinia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 13, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Puraykinia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:36 pm

I got a hard time feeling any sympathy towards Terrell Owens in any way, shape or form.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Boo. Fucking. Hoo. So it took you a couple tries to get in. It took Robert Brazile 25 freaking years. So quit your bitching.

Man honestly he's right. This guys a top 3 all time reciever, and there is absolutely no arguing that fact (maybe it will change by the time Brown hangs em up, but for now, that's fact). The guy is a no-question first ballot hall of famer, and he's right, the hell with the voters for not immediately putting him into the Hall. A guy puts up the numbers, and has the success, that he did, with his marquee performances in the Super Bowl (Eagles vs Patriots) and the NFC Championship game where he hauled in 20 receptions, to boot. I think he's 100% right. He's still a Hall of Famer, and he's completely in the right here. He got nixed multiple times, so let him do what he wants.
Lumi is my NS mom

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General