NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Not strictly NFL related, but I was amused: Johnny Manziel just got traded in the CFL. What in the world is an Alouette anyway?

French pastry.
:lol:

It's a bird; a skylark, specifically.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:The Raiders aren't getting anywhere near the playoffs. Grandpa Gruden is about to level that team with his outdated idiocy.

Completely disagree. I think this Raiders team is a lot better than everyone thinks it is. I'm not as high on them as a year ago, but I think this squad has a sub-par, but passable, defense, and an offense that's set to explode in 2018.

I am suprised to see the Titans up there though. I think they're ready, but not a lot of people are pegging them as a playoff squad.

Titans are an average team. The reason I have them making the playoffs (as of now) is because Mariota has the potential to expand despite his mediocre season and with Michael Vrabel as Head-Couch, the Titans could at least replicate their results. I suspect he can build a decent defense that will give the offensive less stress.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Completely disagree. I think this Raiders team is a lot better than everyone thinks it is. I'm not as high on them as a year ago, but I think this squad has a sub-par, but passable, defense, and an offense that's set to explode in 2018.

I am suprised to see the Titans up there though. I think they're ready, but not a lot of people are pegging them as a playoff squad.

Titans are an average team. The reason I have them making the playoffs (as of now) is because Mariota has the potential to expand despite his mediocre season and with Michael Vrabel as Head-Couch, the Titans could at least replicate their results. I suspect he can build a decent defense that will give the offensive less stress.

Decent defenses take time. Your prediction begs us to believe he accomplishes this overnight. I don't buy it.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

Decent defenses take time. Your prediction begs us to believe he accomplishes this overnight. I don't buy it.

Well, I mean, I don't expect it to happen overnight, of course. However, it's not out of the realm of possibly. Eagles proved that last year as well as the Jaguars although, perhaps it will take a couple years, I suppose.
Last edited by Zurkerx on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Completely disagree. I think this Raiders team is a lot better than everyone thinks it is. I'm not as high on them as a year ago, but I think this squad has a sub-par, but passable, defense, and an offense that's set to explode in 2018.

I think the first game against Houston will tell us whether or not last season was a fluke. Up until the entire team was hit by the injury bug as payment for the astros world series win, it looked like it was going to be them in the playoff hunt.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:04 am

STUFFED AT THE GOAL LINE!!!!
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:38 am

Zurkerx wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:
It could happen. The Rams are packed with top notch guys on one-year contracts, so they can afford to take chances.
The Chargers have dealt with the apparent weaknesses, and Phil has a couple good years left.

I suspect all three of these teams will make it to the playoffs this year although, I don think the Eagles have a good team for years to come. That last part might have some bias in given I am an Eagles fan.

I'll make my bold prediction as of 7/27 as who will be in the playoffs although, I expect it to not be perfect and I'm not an expert on this given I don't watch as must as others would:

AFC:
Patriots
Steelers
Jaguars
Chargers
Raiders
Titans

NFC:
Eagles
Vikings
Packers
Rams
49ers
Saints

Ya no. The dirty birds got it this time
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:51 am

Was that Ethel? :lol:

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:52 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:
I suspect all three of these teams will make it to the playoffs this year although, I don think the Eagles have a good team for years to come. That last part might have some bias in given I am an Eagles fan.

I'll make my bold prediction as of 7/27 as who will be in the playoffs although, I expect it to not be perfect and I'm not an expert on this given I don't watch as must as others would:

AFC:
Patriots
Steelers
Jaguars
Chargers
Raiders
Titans

NFC:
Eagles
Vikings
Packers
Rams
49ers
Saints

Ya no. The dirty birds got it this time

If I recall, you're a Falcon's fan, correct? I won't lie to you, deciding the winner(s) of the NFC South will be the most difficult in the NFC. You got three good QBs and teams respectively. But fear not, I'm sure while your Falcons dive, my Eagles will soar :p

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Ya no. The dirty birds got it this time

If I recall, you're a Falcon's fan, correct? I won't lie to you, deciding the winner(s) of the NFC South will be the most difficult in the NFC. You got three good QBs and teams respectively. But fear not, I'm sure while your Falcons dive, my Eagles will soar :p

NFC South QBs:
2 NFL MVPs
1 Super Bowl MVP
3 1st overall picks
975-492 TD-INT Ratio

I'd say that's pretty good.

Otherwise, going off the previous convo, the Titans have a 'decent' defense, the run was already very solid, (run defense is a bit overrated but meh), but their pass defense was okay the past couple years, and should be top 8 or so this year as long as Derrick Morgan, Jurell Casey, and Brian Orakpo can keep on racking up decent numbers. (Not expecting much out of Harold Landry in the first couple years tbh). Malcolm Butler, who's top-end imo, Logan Ryan was good for us and he'll be back in the slot, where he's even better, and Adoree's a decent, improving player. Then don't forget KB, who should be good for a few INTs (He almost didn't make 1st team all pro. Ridiculous. He was their Nickel DB)
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:12 am

The preseason injuries have begun. Chargers CB Jason Verrett is out for the season after tearing his ACL.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Idzequitch wrote:The preseason injuries have begun. Chargers CB Jason Verrett is out for the season after tearing his ACL.

It’s not a regular season for the Chargers if half their team isn’t wrecked by the first game of the year.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:The preseason injuries have begun. Chargers CB Jason Verrett is out for the season after tearing his ACL.

It’s not a regular season for the Chargers if half their team isn’t wrecked by the first game of the year.

I'm half expecting to hear that Keenan Allen is out for the year again. I sincerely hope not. He's an incredible wideout when he isn't hurt. He's just literally always hurt.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Luminesa wrote:

Maybe your QB cursed them when he left.
(Forgetting the 5-10 years between when he left and the injury thing, obviously ;) )
Last edited by Fauxia on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Ya no. The dirty birds got it this time

You do realize that we can both be in it if ya kick out the saints right?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Luminesa wrote:It’s not a regular season for the Chargers if half their team isn’t wrecked by the first game of the year.

Maybe your QB cursed them when he left.
(Forgetting the 5-10 years between when he left and the injury thing, obviously ;) )

LOL. They were cursed long before that, bro. Like zero super bowls wins. Only one lousy flop of an appearance back in 1994.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Maybe your QB cursed them when he left.

LOL. They were cursed long before that, bro. Like zero super bowls wins. Only one lousy flop of an appearance back in 1994.

The Drew Brees/LaDainian Tomlinson show was pretty lethal for awhile. That is, until the playoffs started.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

NFC South QBs:
2 NFL MVPs
1 Super Bowl MVP
3 1st overall picks
975-492 TD-INT Ratio

Only except that this was mostly achieved by the QB many consider as GOAT. :p
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

You do realize that we can both be in it if ya kick out the saints right?

Most certainly, we can.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:02 am

Idzequitch wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:LOL. They were cursed long before that, bro. Like zero super bowls wins. Only one lousy flop of an appearance back in 1994.

The Drew Brees/LaDainian Tomlinson show was pretty lethal for awhile. That is, until the playoffs started.

Teams that always flop in the playoffs only make for great memories during the regular season. Woo-hoo!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:24 am

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:
Ranoria wrote:NFC South QBs:
2 NFL MVPs
1 Super Bowl MVP
3 1st overall picks
975-492 TD-INT Ratio

Only except that this was mostly achieved by the QB many consider as GOAT. :p

Please never refer to Drew Brees as in the GOAT conversation again, but that is fair. :lol: :lol: :lol: I mean, Cam and Ryan got the MVPs. If Winston turns out then they'll have 4 hella QBs. But Winston's about to have his job taken, which is kinda sad, because I really wanted to see him play the Titans again. Because Jameis is incapable of playing a competitive game against Marcus. That is fact.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:25 am

Ranoria wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:Only except that this was mostly achieved by the QB many consider as GOAT. :p

Please never refer to Drew Brees as in the GOAT conversation again, but that is fair. :lol: :lol: :lol: I mean, Cam and Ryan got the MVPs. If Winston turns out then they'll have 4 hella QBs. But Winston's about to have his job taken, which is kinda sad, because I really wanted to see him play the Titans again. Because Jameis is incapable of playing a competitive game against Marcus. That is fact.

It's a bit early to declare Winston's career as over.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Please never refer to Drew Brees as in the GOAT conversation again, but that is fair. :lol: :lol: :lol: I mean, Cam and Ryan got the MVPs. If Winston turns out then they'll have 4 hella QBs. But Winston's about to have his job taken, which is kinda sad, because I really wanted to see him play the Titans again. Because Jameis is incapable of playing a competitive game against Marcus. That is fact.

It's a bit early to declare Winston's career as over.

Nah, it's not over, but Fitzpatrick outplayed him last season, that's pretty hard to dispute, and I think Fitzpatrick is a similar-game qb with a lot more experience...albeit with a much lower ceiling. I think Winston might get a couple starts, but I think it's Fitzpatrick's job to lose, and if he somehow miraculously comes out of their opening stretch 2-2, then I don't think that you can hand him the reigns.

Even if for some reason Tampa Bay didn't re-sign him though, some other team would give him a shot. Guy's got a frikkin' cannon.
Lumi is my NS mom

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 am

Ranoria wrote:
The Royal Kingdom of Quebec wrote:Only except that this was mostly achieved by the QB many consider as GOAT. :p

I think Brees belongs in the conversation. Brady is pretty obviously the actual GOAT if you look without bias, but I think I'd put Brees above Peyton. Top 5 for certain.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General