NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Agreed. Belichek didn't want to do it tho. And Brady just had his last nice af year, so...

But Joe Flacco is actually garbage.

So are the Titans by that measure. Oh WAIT! Yeah, except Joe has a ring. No Titan has ever achieved that. Garbage team.

Rings equal team, not personal, success. Flacco has been abysmal and hard to watch the past two seasons. And I did watch a few Ravens games, because I thought they'd make playoffs, and they looked exciting. To be fair, Mariota was awful besides like 2 games this year outside the playoffs. But Flacco should not be getting the money he makes.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
So are the Titans by that measure. Oh WAIT! Yeah, except Joe has a ring. No Titan has ever achieved that. Garbage team.

Rings equal team, not personal, success. Flacco has been abysmal and hard to watch the past two seasons. And I did watch a few Ravens games, because I thought they'd make playoffs, and they looked exciting. To be fair, Mariota was awful besides like 2 games this year outside the playoffs. But Flacco should not be getting the money he makes.

Dude, you put your foot in it by taking a cheap shot at Flacco. You pay for it with a cheap shot at the Titans. That is the main takeaway here. :p
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

In the 2017 season, Joe Flacco averaged 5.7 Y/A. That's worse than DeShone Kize, Blaine Gabbert or Brett Hundley.
Last edited by Val Halla on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Val Halla wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Rings equal team, not personal, success. Flacco has been abysmal and hard to watch the past two seasons. And I did watch a few Ravens games, because I thought they'd make playoffs, and they looked exciting. To be fair, Mariota was awful besides like 2 games this year outside the playoffs. But Flacco should not be getting the money he makes.

In the 2017 season, Joe Flacco averaged 5.3 Y/A. That's worse than DeShone Kize, Blaine Gabbert or Brett Hundley.

The conversation was Flacco's performance BEFORE he signed the big contract VERSUS Garoppolo's performance. The comment referred to that.
Jimmy won fucking 6 games. Flacco won more playoff games than that and the ring.

BTW, Luck is finished just like former Colt Bert Jones was after his shoulder separation. Sad. Maybe the idiot Irsay's should have figured out what an O-line is for, huh?

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Serrland3
Secretary

Founded: Feb 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Val Halla wrote:In the 2017 season, Joe Flacco averaged 5.3 Y/A. That's worse than DeShone Kize, Blaine Gabbert or Brett Hundley.

The conversation was Flacco's performance BEFORE he signed the big contract VERSUS Garoppolo's performance. The comment referred to that.
Jimmy won fucking 6 games. Flacco won more playoff games than that and the ring.

BTW, Luck is finished just like former Colt Bert Jones was after his shoulder separation. Sad. Maybe the idiot Irsay's should have figured out what an O-line is for, huh?

Or a defense that can give him some cushion so they can run the ball more and keep Luck from needing to look deep so often to save him from the 4-6 second sacks.

But wait...
Grigson wrote:"When you pay Andrew (Luck) what we did, it’s going to take some time to build on the other side of the ball."

Fordana
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fordana » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:47 pm

I’m so excited for another year of the bears going 6-10
Woo hoo
Former RP manager of the Official European Union
Former Minister of Polling of 21st Century Rome

21st Century Rome - October 23rd 2014 — Early November 2014, February 2015 — around April 2015| Cavalry of the Duckcrocs - around April 2015 —around July 2016 | Alteri Earth - one week in December 2016 | OEU - December 2016 — Present day

Right now I’m trying to become more active in the gameplay side of NS, mainly the WA so I can maybe one day write a proposal.

I have been referred to as a donkey butt, a toolbag, and a much harsher word for a Woman

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Fordana wrote:I’m so excited for another year of the bears going 6-10
Woo hoo

And you don't get to go 4-0 versus the AFC North next year either.

Serrland3
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Woo hoo

Psssh we have 7-9 written all over us! Not even the benefit of a top 10 draft pick out of it...

But seriously, our coaching moves have been very good so I'm optimistic for the next 3 years or so.
Last edited by Serrland3 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fordana
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Fordana » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Serrland3 wrote:
Woo hoo

Psssh we have 7-9 written all over us! Not even the benefit of a top 10 draft pick out of it...

But seriously, our coaching moves have been very good so I'm optimistic for the next 3 years or so.
Jerzylvania wrote:
Woo hoo

And you don't get to go 4-0 versus the AFC North next year either.

7-9, 6-10, what’s the difference anymore?
Dear god we’re royalty screwed if Mitchell Tribusky turns out to be a bust. I hope Nagy hasn’t inherited Andy Reid’s choking problem though.

I remember how I thought we were set when John Fox got hired, boy I was wrong.

Why did we ever get rid of Lovie Smith? At least we were a playoff team...
Former RP manager of the Official European Union
Former Minister of Polling of 21st Century Rome

21st Century Rome - October 23rd 2014 — Early November 2014, February 2015 — around April 2015| Cavalry of the Duckcrocs - around April 2015 —around July 2016 | Alteri Earth - one week in December 2016 | OEU - December 2016 — Present day

Right now I’m trying to become more active in the gameplay side of NS, mainly the WA so I can maybe one day write a proposal.

I have been referred to as a donkey butt, a toolbag, and a much harsher word for a Woman

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Omerica wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:I don't understand how fans of a city's professional sports team can destroy their City to celebrate a Championship win like the Eagles fans have been doing to celebrate their Super Bowl win. At least us here in New Orleans can celebrate properly without completely attempting to annihilate our city. Maybe we're just better fans than the rest of the league?

But truly, if you destroyed everything in the city that doesn't immediately surround Independence Hall, how much of value have you really lost? :p

67 National Historic Landmarks and the only World Heritage City in the United States, apparently...

most of that is in the area that immediately surrounds independence hall. The historic sites can be walked in a day. and no one stormed philadelphia art museum
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Serrland3
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Fordana wrote:
Serrland3 wrote:

Jerzylvania wrote:And you don't get to go 4-0 versus the AFC North next year either.

7-9, 6-10, what’s the difference anymore?
Dear god we’re royalty screwed if Mitchell Tribusky turns out to be a bust. I hope Nagy hasn’t inherited Andy Reid’s choking problem though.

I remember how I thought we were set when John Fox got hired, boy I was wrong.

Why did we ever get rid of Lovie Smith? At least we were a playoff team...

Because 2001 called and they wanted their coaches back.

Even looking at his defensive gameplanning with the Illini you can see it's still really out of date. The Tampa 2 was dying and he had no plan B. Ever.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:21 pm

I don't know if any of you guys would be interested in this, and it isn't particularly football-centric in and of itself, but I enjoy reading these things, particularly JJ Watt's "Am I Done?
The Player's Tribune

It's essentially a bunch of professional and NCAA players writing long stories about their innermost thoughts on issues, their sport, their seasons, and mindsets. It's really cool. Another really good piece is Thomas Davis's 'we are defending dreams,' if you'd like to read up on it.
Last edited by Ranoria on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Jagellion
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagellion » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Dysmastan wrote:PHILLY PHILLY!

PHILLY PHILLY
Ethel mermania wrote:
Omerica wrote:But truly, if you destroyed everything in the city that doesn't immediately surround Independence Hall, how much of value have you really lost? :p

67 National Historic Landmarks and the only World Heritage City in the United States, apparently...

no one stormed philadelphia art museum
thats cuz somebody drove up the art museum steps.
Omerica wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:I don't understand how fans of a city's professional sports team can destroy their City to celebrate a Championship win like the Eagles fans have been doing to celebrate their Super Bowl win. At least us here in New Orleans can celebrate properly without completely attempting to annihilate our city. Maybe we're just better fans than the rest of the league?

But truly, if you destroyed everything in the city that doesn't immediately surround Independence Hall, how much of value have you really lost? :p

Have you visited Philadelphia?
Last edited by Jagellion on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
Proud Philadelphian and Jew
Also all about them Flyers! Phillies! and Sixers! TTP
Proud Member of The Western Isles
My TG box is open for anything, especially funny jokes and stories.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Ran's Mock, 1.0: *WIP*

1: Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield
-For all the Sam Darnold talk, Baker Mayfield showed us the most this fall by far. He is the most explosive playmaker at the quarterback position in this class, according to the tape, and Cleveland fans will love it. This isn't a staff that will be afraid to draft him because of the Manziel bust.

2: Arizona Cardinals [trade with NYG from 15]: QB Sam Darnold
-The Cardinals need a quarterback, they need a youthful center of this football team. Darnold will be the last quarterback to play with Larry Fitzgerald. This team is willing to take one last desperate shot at winning with a team that they feel confident in, and, should it not pan out, Darnold is big, tough, and athletic enough that he can survive his first year.

3: Indianapolis Colts: RB Saquon Barkley
-This is nothing short of a godsend for Indianapolis. As much as I, and they, love Frank Gore, no one they have on the roster is a franchise back. Barkley is a sure fire pick. Even behind a mediocre Colts offensive line, with or without Andrew Luck, Barkley can produce something for this offense. And if Luck is on the field, this will return Indy to one of the best attacks in the national football league.

4: Cleveland Browns: EDGE Bradley Chubb
-The Browns defense just got better with this pick. Two ultra-athletic, productive edge rushers will turn this unit into something to contend with, especially with a healthy Jamie Collins and Christian Kirksey behind them, Danny Shelton and Larry Ogbunjobi in the middle. Everything starts up front, and does anyone know how the 2007 Giants won the super bowl? The best front four in football. With these guys, the Browns have 3 guys who can legitimately defend the run and the pass very well, and a guy in Danny Shelton who's bigger and stronger than everybody. Literally, everybody.

5: Denver Broncos: FS Minkah Fitzpatrick
-The Broncos stellar secondary is only getting older. Besides that, with the loss of TJ Ward, might as well get freak athlete Justin Simmons a running mate. This would give Denver two versatile safeties who can play in the zone or up man on tight ends...or, in Fitzpatrick's case, receivers. I think they'll snag Cousins in FA. Besides that, Minkah Fitzpatrick is better than most of the players above him already, there's no way he's falling out of the top five.

6: New York Jets: QB Josh Rosen
-He's the best pure passer in the draft. My only flaw with Rosen is that he needs to put on some bulk. I don't care how strong you are, at less than one eighty, in the NFL, a corner can take you down and break your collarbone. But the guy can put the ball in the air, and give Fitzgerald a chance to make some plays.

7: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: EDGE Arden Key, LSU
-After a disappointing, injury-riddled season at LSU, Key's stock won't have fallen much. Teams know what he can do when he's healthy, and the Bucs had a grand total of 22 sacks this season. In case you didn't know, that's a pathetic total. Gerald McCoy, a DT (A stud, but still, a DT) led the team in sacks with 6. Key feels like a fit for the Bucs locker room to me, and I think, if he's healthy, you can get a 7-10 sack guy immediately out of him.

8: Chicago Bears: CB Denzel Ward
-Kyle Fuller became a nice player this season, and Prince Amukamura, as always, was a ridiculously under appreciated cover man who wasn't a weak point, didn't create too many turnovers, and basically just did his job, but Chicago wants a younger ball hawk in the secondary, a 'cat' as Stephen A Smith would say. Denzel Ward should be able to come in and immediately upgrade the secondary as an elite cover man and a ball hawk.

9: San Francisco 49ers: OG Quenton Nelson
The 49ers defense is in decent shape, so why not get some help for their franchise quarterback? Nelson is a mauler in the run game and he can pass protect as well. This should be an improvement for the 49ers offense.

10: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
-The Raiders defense sucked in 2017. Smith is excellent in coverage, and he fits the new mold for linebackers: Slightly undersized, good in coverage, fast, and hard-hitting. He was the anchor for what everyone can agree was a stifling Bulldogs defense this season. With Novorro Bowman as a tutor, expect this guy to be a stud at the next level.
Lumi is my NS mom

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't see the Cardinals trading up in the draft for a QB. Given the way they run things down there in the desert, they're more likely to make a play for Foles, Cousins, Bridgewater, etc.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:36 pm

RiderSyl wrote:I don't see the Cardinals trading up in the draft for a QB. Given the way they run things down there in the desert, they're more likely to make a play for Foles, Cousins, Bridgewater, etc.

You're not wrong, that is the more likely scenario, but I also don't see new York using that # 2 pick. Only guy they'd draft that high would be Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James, and the way I see it, they need a left tackle. Cards need a quarterback. There's also Arians being gone, perhaps their new coach will push them to trade up.
Lumi is my NS mom

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:52 pm

AJ McCarron is an unrestricted free agent now.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:AJ McCarron is an unrestricted free agent now.

good thing too... I'm not sure how much I'd trust an organization that tried to ship me to Cleveland for next to nothing.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:42 am

I know I'm late on this, but thank goodness for the Philadelphia Flippin' Eagles.

Still don't like 'em much, but they beat New England, so they're alright in my book.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Jagellion
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagellion » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 am

Idzequitch wrote:I know I'm late on this, but thank goodness for the Philadelphia Flippin' Eagles.

Still don't like 'em much, but they beat New England, so they're alright in my book.

WOOHOO! So glad my dreams played out.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
Proud Philadelphian and Jew
Also all about them Flyers! Phillies! and Sixers! TTP
Proud Member of The Western Isles
My TG box is open for anything, especially funny jokes and stories.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:23 pm

...Why the Hell is Russel Wilson training with my Yankees? Go back to your crappy football team. We're mediocre enough without you trying to be the next Bo Jackson.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:...Why the Hell is Russel Wilson training with my Yankees? Go back to your crappy football team. We're mediocre enough without you trying to be the next Bo Jackson.

If he tears his rotator cuff it will serve him right.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm

RIP on Jarvis Landry. He wants out of Miami, and I hate the franchise tag. Maybe they're trynna trade him tho.
Lumi is my NS mom

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Ranoria wrote:RIP on Jarvis Landry. He wants out of Miami, and I hate the franchise tag. Maybe they're trynna trade him tho.

The Dolphins are all wet.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Looks like Marcus Peters is getting traded to the Rams. Apparently the Browns (John Dorsey drafted Peters in KC) were heavily involved. Honestly though, Chiefs secondary should still improve. Eric Berry will be back, after all.
Last edited by Ranoria on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumi is my NS mom

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General