NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:12 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Apparently Washington is considering slapping Cousins with the franchise tag. Talk about a dick move.

can a player decline that?

Practically speaking, no. he would also get 34 million for next year for his bondage.

I heard a transition tag
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Partybus wrote::D :D
... I... whatever friend, this is not doing either one of us any good... congrats already!

*looms in passing* No, not doing either of you any good.

Now the question is, do we end this thread with the Super Bowl or let it drift along until it reaches 500 pages? Technically the 2017 season is over, so a lock now would not be out of place. Another one can be created right away for the off-season, the draft, etc.

Wait 'til it gets to 500 pages. The thread ran through last offseason, and I found the discussions productive and informative. Besides, the offseason is when all of the speculation happens.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*looms in passing* No, not doing either of you any good.

Now the question is, do we end this thread with the Super Bowl or let it drift along until it reaches 500 pages? Technically the 2017 season is over, so a lock now would not be out of place. Another one can be created right away for the off-season, the draft, etc.

Wait 'til it gets to 500 pages. The thread ran through last offseason, and I found the discussions productive and informative. Besides, the offseason is when all of the speculation happens.

I think Farn may be joking around here.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Wait 'til it gets to 500 pages. The thread ran through last offseason, and I found the discussions productive and informative. Besides, the offseason is when all of the speculation happens.

Never know. I don't see a [/sarcasm]. XD And this is my favorite place to discuss NFL stuff.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Wait 'til it gets to 500 pages. The thread ran through last offseason, and I found the discussions productive and informative. Besides, the offseason is when all of the speculation happens.

I wasn't but we can let it die a natural death and start Volume 2.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

No Dr. Kevorkian then? I'll tell the nurse. ;)

Patriots Fans 'Heartbroken' After Super Bowl Loss to Eagles
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*looms in passing* No, not doing either of you any good.

But if you look at the first quote, they make it clear that "another one can be created right away for the off-season."

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Apparently Washington is considering slapping Cousins with the franchise tag. Talk about a dick move.

Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
United Kingdom of Poland wrote:can a player decline that?

Practically speaking, no. he would also get 34 million for next year for his bondage.

I heard a transition tag

that's a joke right, considering how overpaid some quarter backs (looking at you Carr) are right now. He deserves a hell of a lot more money than that.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

United Kingdom of Poland wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Practically speaking, no. he would also get 34 million for next year for his bondage.

I heard a transition tag

that's a joke right, considering how overpaid some quarter backs (looking at you Carr) are right now. He deserves a hell of a lot more money than that.

3rd year franchise tag is big money, they could have signed a 3 year deal 2 years ago for a hell of a lot less.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 pm

10 WAY TOO EARLY bold predictions for the 2018 season

1: Raiders, Titans tear through the AFC, Meet in AFC Championship
-Carr and Mariota each missed a significant amount of time in the preseason with leg injuries. Mariota more so, but Carr also hurt his back earlier this year. With a full offseason, and a healthy year, these two quarterbacks are going to absolutely explode. Look at Rich Gannon. He was meh before Gruden, great with him. Now imagine Derek Carr, with his arm and grit and passion. Mariota, meanwhile, is getting an OC in Matt LaFleur who will build the offense around him, just like he did Goff, and he's got a lot more athleticism and raw talent to help him out. Plus Mike Vrabel. I like him. These two are going to take the top two seeds in the AFC.

Realistic Chances: I actually think this will happen. XD

2: Bengals are worst team in AFC North, Browns take a huge leap

-The Browns talented but waylaid roster explodes, relatively, winning 5-6 games...good for 3rd place in the NFC North, while the Bengals sink even lower to a 2-4 win season. AJ Green complains a lot.

Realistic Chances: Doubtful, but who knows.

3: AFC West becomes exciting again
-The Chiefs take a dip with Alex Smith gone, struggling to hit .500, but the Chargers secondary and offense make them a contender, as do the Broncos improving...but the Raiders dominance still takes the division.

Realistic Chances: This depends on whether or not Denver can muster enough of a shift to get things moving, but the Chargers and Raiders will be a nice-ish race.

4: AFC South becomes a division with 3 superpower offenses...and one historic defense
-Sacksonville doesn't quite match this season's dominance, but it comes close, even in a division loaded with Deshaun Watson & Deandre Hopkins, Marcus Mariota & Derrick Henry, and Andrew Luck (& Saquon Barkley? PLZ. THE SHOOTOUTS WOULD BE AMAZING), dragging down their statistics. This division will produce gaudy numbers and raise the NFL's ratings a bit.

Realistic Chances: Huge wild card for each team. Titans are a boom or bust this season, Deshaun Watson is electric, but he turns the ball over a lot. I don't know if he'll be able to manage what he did this year, proportional to 16 games. Andrew Luck, it all depends on the shoulder. He'll produce no matter what if he's healthy, but if this Colts team can get him some help, this team could be one to watch.

5: J.J. Watt makes a push for Defensive Player of the Year, makes the Pro Bowl and All Pro Team; leads Houston to a 5 seed
-Watt is a monster, and these injuries have bogged him down for too long. His back isn't what got him, it was his leg, and the leg isn't like the back: When it's healed, it's healed. His back has had years to heal. He's going to turn in another monster season, just you wait. Deshaun Watson giving Hopkins a chance to make plays (and making many of his own), will be a piston for this offense, and JJ Watt will do what he did in '14 and '15, dragging Houston along to 9 win, playoff seasons...except this time, the offense is explosive, and the defense around him is better.

Realistic Chances: Another one that I like. Mostly hinges on Watson in terms of team success, but I have complete faith that Watt will be back.

6: Drew Brees keeps churning, shatters Manning's passing yards record in an even better season than he had this year
-The Saints take the NFC South for the second straight year, and Drew Brees puts up a few hundred more than last season, with Kamara and Ingram having similar production. Defensive pieces added this offseason make that unit even stronger, and New Orleans will have its shot at one last ring in the Drew Brees era. Saints will be among the top two seeds of the NFC.

Realistic Chances: Pretty frikkin' good

7: Philadelphia Eagles go 16-0 in the regular season
-Last time there was an 0-16 team ('06 Lions, NFC North), a team went 16-0 the next season, ('07 Patriots, AFC East). The vice versa happens here, conference wise. Browns (0-16) make the path for the 16-0 Eagles.

Realistic Chances: Less than or equal to .001%

8: Green Bay, even with Rodgers, slips, fails to win NFC North, Minnesota takes 3rd title in 4 years, becomes the team in the NFC North, officially
-The Green Bay Packers team is flawed, their skill positions on offense are good, but not great, and Jordy Nelson is getting older. The offensive line has declined over the past couple of seasons. The defense and running game are stagnant. This team will struggle to win 10 games, while Minnesota's defense maintains its dominance, and wins another division title for the second coming of the purple people eaters.

Realistic chances: Pretty good

9: Rams slip, 49ers win NFC West in '18, Seattle skids from relevance
-Jimmy Garrapolo outperforms Jared Goff to sweep the Rams, who also have a strong campaign, to take the NFC West crown. The Rams have a strong campaign, but Jared Goff fails to produce like he did this year, and Todd Gurley's numbers take a drop as well. Andrew Whitworth's play declines. Seattle's descent continues, and they fail to muster a winning season with an aging core of defensive guys (Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman, Bennett, Avril, Wright) and three quality players on the offensive side of the ball.

Realistic Chances: Good not great

10: Eli Manning, Odell Beckham turn in career years, ELI STAYS IN NEW YORK
After last season's embarrassment, Eli Manning lights up the stat sheets, tossing up 4,400-4,600 yards, 34-37 touchdowns, and 7-11 interceptions while Odell accounts for at least 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns of that total. Whether the Giants will return to relevance or not is up for debate, but the offense will keep them in games.

Realistic Chances: Not very good at all, but I'd love to see big blue light it up.
Lumi is my NS mom

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

We got trades to talk about, players leaving their team, players snubbing the President (I approve of).
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Amazing Pugs
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Amazing Pugs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Does anyone think this is the year that Tom Brady retires? After an unfortunate butter-fingers play like that in the biggest game of the year, I would start to think about it. Also he 40 years old..

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Amazing Pugs wrote:Does anyone think this is the year that Tom Brady retires? After an unfortunate butter-fingers play like that in the biggest game of the year, I would start to think about it. Also he 40 years old..

Nope. But he will hopefully suck in 2018. I've been saying for awhile that 2017 would be his last good year, hopefully I'm right.
Lumi is my NS mom

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Ranoria, why are you still so high on the Raiders? They suck! They have sucked for a decade, will continue to suck. Carr is overrated and overpaid and had done nothing!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Ranoria, why are you still so high on the Raiders? They suck! They have sucked for a decade, will continue to suck. Carr is overrated and overpaid and had done nothing!

2016 begs to differ. ;)

As for this season, yeah, some crap happened. For one, there was the back injury. Yeah, he only missed one game, but that lingered, and it drastically affected his play. The leg injury from last year likely affected his confidence. But I'll also say this. The drops from Raiders receivers this season were horrendous. I went back and did the stats awhile back, I think it was something absurd like 7% of his pass attempts were dropped by his wideouts. This season alone (ignoring any potential TDs)that takes his stats from a 62.7%, 3,496 yard, 22 TD, 13 INT, 6.8 yards per attempt season to a 69.7%, 3,761 yard, 22 TD, 13 INT, 6.8 yards per attempt season, assuming the Yp/a stays the same. Yes, he threw way too many interceptions, but how many of those were after drops that forced him to take a chance?

Beyond Carr, there's this guy named Khalil Mack. Khalil Mack is a turnover machine, he's a tackling machine, he's a big play machine, he's everything you could possibly want in a player on the defensive side of the ball. Gareon Conley was injured early in the season. He's an excellent cover corner. Novorro Bowman is a hell of a player. Also, Amari Cooper. There is too much star power on this team for them to not bounce back.

Another thing I would say is that this team seems to be a free agent magnet. Maybe after this season, not so much, but you never know, and if the Raiders can get another bona fide star on either side of the ball, it'd be something.
Lumi is my NS mom

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:19 am

*Screams into the void.*
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 am

Did Nick Foles have the best QB postseason ever? ...Nope, that belongs to Joe Flacco.

Not necessarily elite QB Joe Flacco is still number one in an NFL post season with a 117.2 QB rating. :)
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Partybus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 am

So, I just heard Brady gave no props to Foles on his amazing playoff run and Superbowl win...bad sportsmanship IMO... I have always thought I understood the "haters" now I really do...and don't get me wrong I'm still (and always) a Pat's fan...but really?

Kramanica
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 am

Cry Brady Cryyyyyy
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 am

Kramanica wrote:Cry Brady Cryyyyyy

Tom: The Eagles were SO mean to me and hurt my fee-fees!!!
Mommy Brady: There there Tommy. Why don't you write president Trump a letter and have him sign an executive order to fix it?
Tom: I could do that?
Mommy Brady: No. I was making fun of you. Now go to your room.
Tom: I hate everybody! I'll run for President one day and show you!!
Daddy Brady: Jeez dear, now look what you've gone and done? Fuck.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm

I know I'm probably late with this, but "Who Dat team Dat won both Rookie of the Years?"
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 pm

can't exactly blame him given how crappy the colts were this year and luck only having a 50/50 shot at returning.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General