NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Loreaver wrote:I have a feeling that if the Saints make playoffs this year somehow, and they happen to have to play the Vikings in the NFCCG, there will be lots of blood. :lol:

Can you imagine if AP had been churning out, say 75-110 yards a game for NO, Drew Brees kept up his 280-400 yards a game production? They'd have been unstoppable.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I've got to say, last year, my predictions for the year were pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good. This year, *tosses them out the window*, yeah nah.

Saints and Panthers are actually doing a thing. Packers lost the best QB in the NFL. Titans actually suck. Browns are godawfuler than I thought. Jets could legit go 9-7.

What in the name of god is this season.

Who Dat!

NUMBER 1 IN THE NFC SOUTH.

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

(Now we just gotta keep it.)
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Buffalo and Jacksonville are irking the experts by not playing down to expectations.

Jacksonville I kinda eventually expected to beef-up, Buffalo’s continued success has been somewhat surprising.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am

Kohr wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:21-0 to the fucking Chargers. Someone kick this moron coach in the balls. Then fire him...then kick him again.

Three shutouts today. That's kind of unusual.

That's what struck me first and Carolina only put up 3 points.
I saw the Ravens so called offense sputter while short their top 3 WRs and RB but they still managed 16 points in 60 minutes.

What the heck is going on here? Eleven other teams scored less points than the Ravens in the 13 games played this week so far. Only one of those teams won, Tennessee.
Is this lack of offense caused bc of offensive play maker injuries across the board, lousy O-lines or what? Any idea's out there?
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:46 am

Ranoria wrote:I've got to say, last year, my predictions for the year were pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good. This year, *tosses them out the window*, yeah nah.

Saints and Panthers are actually doing a thing. Packers lost the best QB in the NFL. Titans actually suck. Browns are godawfuler than I thought. Jets could legit go 9-7.

What in the name of god is this season.

I never make preseason predictions for the league, division by division, team by team as a whole. Way too many variables, like injuries and game scheduling traps to fall into.
Pretty much I need to see which team is durable and develops any mojo. That's why I stick to playoffs and SB prognosticating.

We are 7 weeks in and it's still a crap shoot. Lots of crappy games.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:05 am

Luminesa wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:
Who Dat!

Only because half of the falcons players are injured
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:
Who Dat!

Thanks for knocking off the Packers for me! (Although you did have me scared for a while.)

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Kohr wrote:Three shutouts today. That's kind of unusual.

That's what struck me first and Carolina only put up 3 points.
I saw the Ravens so called offense sputter while short their top 3 WRs and RB but they still managed 16 points in 60 minutes.

What the heck is going on here? Eleven other teams scored less points than the Ravens in the 13 games played this week so far. Only one of those teams won, Tennessee.
Is this lack of offense caused bc of offensive play maker injuries across the board, lousy O-lines or what? Any idea's out there?

Tennessee was very much limitted by a poor day by Mularkey. The playcalling was essentially 'run on every first down, run on every second down, whether it's 2nd and 11 or 2nd and 15, and then maybe give Marcus a chance to make a play.' I understand he's hurt, and I have a very football savvy friend who said that it's smart to get a couple yards back on second down via the run, but I'd prefer to throw in some play action (which is Tennessee's bread and butter on offense) on first down and just let Mariota pull the trigger a few times. Ryan Succop has scored 30 of our last 48 points. I used to think he was an okay kicker who had a few clutch moments. No. This man, 'Mr. Automatic,' is awesome. Not particularly great outside the 50, but that kick against KC last season sold me on him.

Also, it's worth considering that Tennessee really doesn't have a ton of recieving threats outside of Delanie Walker. Rishard Matthews is our #1 guy by far, and he'd be a very good #2 guy, but whereas teams can triple team Antonio Brown and he'll torch them for 180, if a defense focuses on Matthews, he'll put up 30-50. I like the guy, and he's a grinder, and a very good player, but not quite good enough to be a #1 wideout. Eric Decker has been an FA bust, and I love the guy, he's a great dude, but he's had one productive game and way too many bad drops. Corey Davis is injured and I haven't been able to find out when that man will be back, because he looked great in week 1. Jonnu Smith is a decent complementary TE, but he's going to have to step up with Walker likely missing some time.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Somersville
Attaché

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

NFL Threa

Postby Somersville » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

AFC Championship Game:Jaguars at Dolphins(Jags win 38-35,OT)
NFC Championship Game:Eagles at Rams(Eagles win 52-51,2OT)
SB LII:Eagles>Jags(Eagles win,31-24)

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Somersville wrote:AFC Championship Game:Jaguars at Dolphins(Jags win 38-35,OT)

That's actually impossible.
Lumi is my NS mom

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Ranoria wrote:

That's actually impossible.

Leaving the exact scores out, why not?
It would be like saying back in mid 1999 the Tenn. Titans would play the St. Louis Rams in the SB. And the Ram would win. Crazy.
Then add to that the Baltimore Ravens would win it all the following year. Wild.
Oh, Eagles vs. Jags is surely possible and the Eagles win. It would be good for the league too. Then, in Feb 2019 the Chargers win SB 53. Shockers. :rofl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXIV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXV
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Ranoria wrote:That's actually impossible.

It would be like saying back in mid 1999 the Tenn. Titans would play the St. Louis Rams in the SB. And the Ram would win.
Then add to that the Baltimore Ravens would win it all the following year.

Oh, Eagles vs. Jags is surely possible and the Eagles win. It would be good for the league too. Then, in Feb 2019 the Chargers win SB 53. :rofl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXIV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXV

No, the score between the eagles and rams. 52-51 in OT is literally not possible. Assume both teams had 7 TDs. A safety would end the game. But if the Eagles scored a FG, they couldn't have been safetied. It doesn't work. Besides that, a TD ends the game. Therefore, the minimum point differential between two teams in OT is 2.
Lumi is my NS mom

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I edited my post bc of the scores. Sorry, but I was seconds late on that. The scores are really irrelevant to me, but I see your point.
The point I am making is that two teams no one expected when the season started doing the dance is good. New rivalries. No more of the same old team in there.
It would be refreshing and the NFL is desperately in need of refreshing.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Ughghghghghghghgh. Damn you Eagles!
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm

Kohr wrote:
Luminesa wrote:NUMBER 1 IN THE NFC SOUTH.

Thanks for knocking off the Packers for me! (Although you did have me scared for a while.)

We scared ourselves too so it’s okay. :lol2:
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Luminesa wrote:NUMBER 1 IN THE NFC SOUTH.

Only because half of the falcons players are injured

It honestly mars the victory when the good players are all hurt.
“We beat the Packers!”
“Yeah but without Aaron Rodgers.”

Ah well. You take what you get.
-Alan Jackson

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:57 am

Luminesa wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Only because half of the falcons players are injured

It honestly mars the victory when the good players are all hurt.
“We beat the Packers!”

It's not your fault that they can't win without him. We've done fine with a backup QB. In this league, the best teams are the ones that overcome injuries, even to quarterbacks.
Last edited by Kohr on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Kohr wrote:
Luminesa wrote:It honestly mars the victory when the good players are all hurt.
“We beat the Packers!”

It's not your fault that they can't win without him. We've done fine with a backup QB. In this league, the best teams are the ones that overcome injuries, even to quarterbacks.

True. I mean, the one time the Pats didn't have Brady, they had Matt Cassel and went 11-5. Knock on wood for New Orleans, though, hopefully Drew will stay healthy so we can at least do playoffs.
-Alan Jackson

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Kohr wrote:It's not your fault that they can't win without him. We've done fine with a backup QB. In this league, the best teams are the ones that overcome injuries, even to quarterbacks.

True. I mean, the one time the Pats didn't have Brady, they had Matt Cassel and went 11-5. Knock on wood for New Orleans, though, hopefully Drew will stay healthy so we can at least do playoffs.

Matt Cassel sucks. Honestly, I think that and then the 3-1 run without Brady is the best argument for Peyton being better than Tom, but that's just me, probably not a can of worms to be opening.
Lumi is my NS mom

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm

with how the dolphins are playing now...

The Royal Kingdom of Quebec
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Royal Kingdom of Quebec » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Luminesa wrote:True. I mean, the one time the Pats didn't have Brady, they had Matt Cassel and went 11-5. Knock on wood for New Orleans, though, hopefully Drew will stay healthy so we can at least do playoffs.

Matt Cassel sucks. Honestly, I think that and then the 3-1 run without Brady is the best argument for Peyton being better than Tom, but that's just me, probably not a can of worms to be opening.

Don't worry, you ain't the only one.
WORK IN PROGRESS: The Wanderer's Guide To Somewhere: Megathread!

Happy 420 Friends!

2x World Cup, 2x Baptism of Fire, 2x Cup of Harmony, 5x World Cup of Hockey, 2x World Bowl and 2x International Basketball Championships Host

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Loreaver wrote:I have a feeling that if the Saints make playoffs this year somehow, and they happen to have to play the Vikings in the NFCCG, there will be lots of blood. :lol:

Revenge for 2009!
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 pm

ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Ravens 20-0 lead at half over Dolphins. Kiki Alonzo puts cheap shot forearm blow to the head of Flacco during his slide after run.
Alonzo should have been run out of the game by the officials. It was an egregious hit.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:Ravens 20-0 lead at half over Dolphins. Kiki Alonzo puts cheap shot forearm blow to the head of Flacco during his slide after run.
Alonzo should have been run out of the game by the officials. It was an egregious hit.

Dolphins haven't been good in years. Is no big feat....lol
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General