NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Hey, but on the bright side they've never won a SB, Lum. The Falcons are 0-2. Both shameful affairs though in different aspects. New Orleans is 1-0.

At least you are not in a division like the AFC North with some team that is 6-2 in SBs, (although 4 of those wins happened while dinosaurs still roamed the Earth). :lol:
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:Hey, but on the bright side they've never won a SB, Lum. The Falcons are 0-2. Both shameful affairs though in different aspects. New Orleans is 1-0.

At least you are not in a division like the AFC North with some team that is 6-2 in SBs, (although 4 of those wins happened while dinosaurs still roamed the Earth). :lol:

I now feel slightly better. Thank you, Balty. :hug:

And we play the Panthers next week. Ho boy...
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:Hey, but on the bright side they've never won a SB, Lum. The Falcons are 0-2. Both shameful affairs though in different aspects. New Orleans is 1-0.

*was alive for the '70s* Dinosaurs, eh? :eyebrow:
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Man, is Eli Manning done? He has been really bad the first two games, and wasn't good that good last season...

If I was a Giants fan I would be very concerned.

I don't see them making the playoffs the way they're going!

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Man, is Eli Manning done? He has been really bad the first two games, and wasn't good that good last season...

If you're watching the game, it's not all his fault. I dare say I could trip some guys up and be a better pass protector than Bobby Hart and Ereck Flowers.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Maineiacs wrote:

Hey brother. I was once a model for those old Sinclair Gas Station signs. I voted for McGovern too! :hug:

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Man, is Eli Manning done? He has been really bad the first two games, and wasn't good that good last season...

You'd think he'd really want that 3rd SB ring to top his brother Peyton (though Eli's SB wins were versus Brady and the Pats, so they're probably worth more).
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

You'd think he'd really want that 3rd SB ring to top his brother Peyton (though Eli's SB wins were versus Brady and the Pats, so they're probably worth more).

Yeah, you would. I'm no football expert, but man...I see the Giants offense as completely one dimensional, kinda like how KC was with Jamaal Charles for a bit, but even worse! I haven't followed the Giants for years like many people, but I don't see anything with Eli...it seems he, and the Giants, are living on name and reputation, which is heavily borrowed from their Defense in the first place!

The Giants just look bad.

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:51 pm

This week we play the Bucs. I'll miss most of it, sadly, but it should be a good game. Sam Bradford had better start, though.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 am

Ranoria wrote:
Just a random thought, my Super Bowl picks for the next few years, and why. This is basically just me being unable to sleep, but here goes.

52: Packers over Raiders
The Raiders offense is EXPLOSIVE, and I think their secondary has taken a major step forward through the draft. Khalil Mack, meanwhile, makes this an elite unit, along with Mario Edwards taking a step forward and Bruce Irvin continuing to produce. This firepower on both sides of the ball leads to an AFC Championship, but Aaron Rodgers does that thing that he does and shreds them while the Packers' defense holds on for dear life, and holds Carr to 27.
Green Bay: 34 Oakland: 27
SBMVP: Aaron Rodgers

53: Seahawks over Steelers
By now, the Seahawks Offensive Line will have improved, hopefully, by some small margin, even if the legion of boom is in it's last couple of dominant years. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh, with the fall of New England, finally manages to break through the AFC gauntlet and take on the 'Hawks. However, it isn't quite enough, with Roethlisberger doing a Manning and falling apart against a vaunted defense.
Seattle: 27 Pittsburgh: 17
SBMVP: Earl Thomas or Russell Wilson

54: Forty Niners over Raiders
Kirk Cousins and a powerhouse defense led by Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas, Deforest Buckner, and an aging captain in Navarro Bowman carry San Francisco to the Super Bowl, where Derek Carr arrives with his first league MVP award and second conference championship. A somewhat weaker offensive line, however, falters early to a strong San Fransisco front seven, and Reuben Foster dominates throughout, shutting down the run game. Carr nearly leads a comeback in the fourth, scoring 20 points in a span of 13 minutes, but Jack Del Rio's aggressive play calling results in a failed 2 point conversion.
San Francisco: 24 Oakland: 23
SBMVP: Reuben Foster

55: Buccaneers fall to Titans
Two teams with hype centered around no-longer-young quarterbacks come into the stadium, but Jameis Winston is incapable of beating Marcus Mariota. Despite a strong offense on both sides, points are hard to come by until Tennessee pulls ahead in the fourth.
Buccaneers: 17 Titans: 31
SBMVP: Derrick Henry

56: Buccaneers fall to Raiders
In a second straight season, this Tampa Bay squad can't finish the year off with the greatest of prizes. This time, Winston is the defending league MVP, one whom has looked to be a dominant pocket passer, shredding even the best defenses on his path. Unfortunately, his confidence, and gunslinger of an arm, costs Tampa Bay just one possession, and one score, that loses the highest scoring game of the season.
Tampa Bay: 38 Oakland: 45
SBMVP: Gareon Conley or Amari Cooper

I'm going to say it again. The Giants need to trade a 1st rounder for Joe Thomas. They are a team that is in win now mode, so get your pass protection right, that first rounder would be very well spent.

I think Winston gets it on his first or second try, to be honest, and his chances come a lot sooner.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 am

Trollgaard wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Yeah, you would. I'm no football expert, but man...I see the Giants offense as completely one dimensional, kinda like how KC was with Jamaal Charles for a bit, but even worse! I haven't followed the Giants for years like many people, but I don't see anything with Eli...it seems he, and the Giants, are living on name and reputation, which is heavily borrowed from their Defense in the first place!

The Giants just look bad.

Their saving grace (relative to keeping fans) in the NYC area is the pitiful Jets. They always look plenty worse.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 am

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:

Hey brother. I was once a model for those old Sinclair Gas Station signs. I voted for McGovern too! :hug:

And I voted for the first time last year! : D
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:36 am

Nothing like a twitter pix to get people riled up. Recall that actual ravens hang around the infamous Tower of London irl. Nothing embarrassing ever happened there, right?

"We are not pleased!!!" :oops:

They took it down. Johnny Rotten is disappointed. :twisted:

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 pm

The Rams didn't look bad against the Redskins.

Tombradya
Spokesperson

Founded: May 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Tombradya » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Saw some interesting stats today. Belichick's Patriots actually have a better record against all NFC opponents combined (.750) than against the AFC East (.746). Also, the AFC East (minus Patriots) is .504 against the rest of the league in that same era. So maybe that whole "Pats dominate because the AFC East is trash" is maybe not so true after all. Our win percentage against the Steelers is higher than any of those records (.770) and of course there is the 1.000 against Jacksonville, Dallas and famously Atlanta :hug:
TMFKAT
The fake media: Fox, Breitbart, Infowars

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Tombradya wrote:Saw some interesting stats today. Belichick's Patriots actually have a better record against all NFC opponents combined (.750) than against the AFC East (.746). Also, the AFC East (minus Patriots) is .504 against the rest of the league in that same era. So maybe that whole "Pats dominate because the AFC East is trash" is maybe not so true after all. Our win percentage against the Steelers is higher than any of those records (.770) and of course there is the 1.000 against Jacksonville, Dallas and famously Atlanta :hug:

Speaking of stats, did you see where John Harbaugh's Ravens have the best win % in the NFL at home since he took over as head coach in 2008? It's true.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Tombradya wrote:Saw some interesting stats today. Belichick's Patriots actually have a better record against all NFC opponents combined (.750) than against the AFC East (.746). Also, the AFC East (minus Patriots) is .504 against the rest of the league in that same era. So maybe that whole "Pats dominate because the AFC East is trash" is maybe not so true after all. Our win percentage against the Steelers is higher than any of those records (.770) and of course there is the 1.000 against Jacksonville, Dallas and famously Atlanta :hug:

Speaking of stats, did you see where John Harbaugh's Ravens have the best win % in the NFL at home since he took over as head coach in 2008? It's true.

That's interesting. I have to say, besides the Bengals, I do like the entire AFC North. But once(if) the Browns ever get good, I'll be screaming for their heads. XD

Arkinesia wrote:
Ranoria wrote:
Just a random thought, my Super Bowl picks for the next few years, and why. This is basically just me being unable to sleep, but here goes.

52: Packers over Raiders
The Raiders offense is EXPLOSIVE, and I think their secondary has taken a major step forward through the draft. Khalil Mack, meanwhile, makes this an elite unit, along with Mario Edwards taking a step forward and Bruce Irvin continuing to produce. This firepower on both sides of the ball leads to an AFC Championship, but Aaron Rodgers does that thing that he does and shreds them while the Packers' defense holds on for dear life, and holds Carr to 27.
Green Bay: 34 Oakland: 27
SBMVP: Aaron Rodgers

53: Seahawks over Steelers
By now, the Seahawks Offensive Line will have improved, hopefully, by some small margin, even if the legion of boom is in it's last couple of dominant years. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh, with the fall of New England, finally manages to break through the AFC gauntlet and take on the 'Hawks. However, it isn't quite enough, with Roethlisberger doing a Manning and falling apart against a vaunted defense.
Seattle: 27 Pittsburgh: 17
SBMVP: Earl Thomas or Russell Wilson

54: Forty Niners over Raiders
Kirk Cousins and a powerhouse defense led by Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas, Deforest Buckner, and an aging captain in Navarro Bowman carry San Francisco to the Super Bowl, where Derek Carr arrives with his first league MVP award and second conference championship. A somewhat weaker offensive line, however, falters early to a strong San Fransisco front seven, and Reuben Foster dominates throughout, shutting down the run game. Carr nearly leads a comeback in the fourth, scoring 20 points in a span of 13 minutes, but Jack Del Rio's aggressive play calling results in a failed 2 point conversion.
San Francisco: 24 Oakland: 23
SBMVP: Reuben Foster

55: Buccaneers fall to Titans
Two teams with hype centered around no-longer-young quarterbacks come into the stadium, but Jameis Winston is incapable of beating Marcus Mariota. Despite a strong offense on both sides, points are hard to come by until Tennessee pulls ahead in the fourth.
Buccaneers: 17 Titans: 31
SBMVP: Derrick Henry

56: Buccaneers fall to Raiders
In a second straight season, this Tampa Bay squad can't finish the year off with the greatest of prizes. This time, Winston is the defending league MVP, one whom has looked to be a dominant pocket passer, shredding even the best defenses on his path. Unfortunately, his confidence, and gunslinger of an arm, costs Tampa Bay just one possession, and one score, that loses the highest scoring game of the season.
Tampa Bay: 38 Oakland: 45
SBMVP: Gareon Conley or Amari Cooper

I'm going to say it again. The Giants need to trade a 1st rounder for Joe Thomas. They are a team that is in win now mode, so get your pass protection right, that first rounder would be very well spent.

I think Winston gets it on his first or second try, to be honest, and his chances come a lot sooner.

I think a Winston-Mariota super bowl would be absolutely legendary though, don't you? And I'd love it because Winston can't beat Mariota. Proves that in his final game in college and first as a pro. (Cruel scheduling, tbh)
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:08 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Football, not just the NFL, took a massive hit today with these findings. This is a tragedy of epic proportions.

However, this knowledge is also power to all people to make better decisions in using their heads, both figuratively and literally.

As for the NFL, they will probably hide behind a bunch of high priced lawyers and their double talk.
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Football, not just the NFL, took a massive hit today with these findings. This is a tragedy of epic proportions.

However, this knowledge is also power to all the little people to make better decisions. As for the NFL, they will probably hide behind a bunch lawyers and their double talk.

I don't think anything took a 'big hit' about this in particular. Because yes, there are those who quit from football to prevent CTE coming on, but at the same time, ask 99.9% of anyone who plays football. They'd do it again, regardless of the consequences, in a heartbeat. Now, the general increase in knowledge regarding CTE in the first place? That had some impact. But this case in particular, not so much.
Lumi is my NS mom

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:Football, not just the NFL, took a massive hit today with these findings. This is a tragedy of epic proportions.

However, this knowledge is also power to all people to make better decisions in using their heads, both figuratively and literally.

As for the NFL, they will probably hide behind a bunch of high priced lawyers and their double talk.

I don't think anything took a 'big hit' about this in particular. Because yes, there are those who quit from football to prevent CTE coming on, but at the same time, ask 99.9% of anyone who plays football. They'd do it again, regardless of the consequences, in a heartbeat. Now, the general increase in knowledge regarding CTE in the first place? That had some impact. But this case in particular, not so much.

I did edit the post somewhat. Your response was quick.
Listen, parents (of which I am one) are going to steer their kids away from this sport if it maintains it's current form. That's the hit I am talking about for football in general.
Ratings are down last season and this one so far and maybe this CTE deal is a part of the reason. Time will tell.

You don't doubt this is an epic tragedy, do you? Aaron Hernandez was probably not sane when he killed these people. He was suffering from severe brain damage.
He is now also a victim of what is the real culprit, many repeated hits to the head. How do you fix that and keep football as is?
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:
Ranoria wrote:I don't think anything took a 'big hit' about this in particular. Because yes, there are those who quit from football to prevent CTE coming on, but at the same time, ask 99.9% of anyone who plays football. They'd do it again, regardless of the consequences, in a heartbeat. Now, the general increase in knowledge regarding CTE in the first place? That had some impact. But this case in particular, not so much.

I did edit the post somewhat. Your response was quick.
Listen, parents (of which I am one) are going to steer their kids away from this sport if it maintains it's current form. That's the hit I am talking about for football in general.
Ratings are down last season and this one so far and maybe this CTE deal is a part of the reason. Time will tell.

You don't doubt this is an epic tragedy, do you? Aaron Hernandez was probably not sane when he killed these people. He was suffering from severe brain damage.
He is now also a victim of what is the real culprit, many repeated hits to the head. How do you fix that and keep football as is?

I don't think parents, for the most part, are going to do that though. Granted, I'm not a parent, I don't plan on being one in the near future (fingers crossed), and perhaps you're right about the ratings thing. But I don't think this has much to do with it, unless perhaps parents, as you somewhat ish said, want less exposure for their children.

And no, I do understand that this is awful. I don't want to go mentally insane because of playing a sport that I love, and anyone dying, especially like this, is horrible. But I also wouldn't sacrifice what football has done for me, personally, if it took forty years off my life, and I mean that wholeheartedly. I would not be who I am today, or anywhere near it, without football. And that's what I'm saying when I say that I don't think people will quit playing football.
Lumi is my NS mom

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Things are not looking good for the 49ers at the half.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL RND 2: VAN 3 - 3 EDM | DAL 4 - 2 COL | Conference Finals NYR 0 - 0 FLA
NCAA MBB: Tulane 31-24 | LSU 36-20 || NCAA WSB: LSU 42-15

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:20 pm

If I had been of the size to pursue football, or had speed to play RB, I would have gladly done it.

The chance to make it big and make millions with the risk of dying early do to trauma from playing? Who the fuck cares? Who wants to live forever? Become a star and make bank.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Also, the Rams look good. I've been a Gurley fan since he played for Georgia. He is a solid RB.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Trollgaard wrote:If I had been of the size to pursue football, or had speed to play RB, I would have gladly done it.

The chance to make it big and make millions with the risk of dying early do to trauma from playing? Who the fuck cares? Who wants to live forever? Become a star and make bank.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Also, the Rams look good. I've been a Gurley fan since he played for Georgia. He is a solid RB.

I'd have loved to be a Wideout.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL RND 2: VAN 3 - 3 EDM | DAL 4 - 2 COL | Conference Finals NYR 0 - 0 FLA
NCAA MBB: Tulane 31-24 | LSU 36-20 || NCAA WSB: LSU 42-15

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General