NATION

PASSWORD

The Eternal Thread: Ye Olde Chat Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:42 am

Gallade wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Pfft I haven't created an international incident in France in , in .... well since the trip i meet your mother. I am sure the war rents have come off the customs wall by now.

I have to be in preemptive mode, you're threatening a trip to Paris, after all.

Point taken, carry on.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:43 am

Hurdergaryp wrote:
Gallade wrote:Only if Geert gets his way, in your case.

Geert getting his way is a scary concept to behold, but I'm afraid I don't get it.

He will build a wall, probably contracting with galla's organization, it will be fabulous.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:46 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Geert getting his way is a scary concept to behold, but I'm afraid I don't get it.

He will build a wall, probably contracting with galla's organization, it will be fabulous.

ill help build it.

have to keep the germans out, you know?

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:47 am

When you're still feeling exhausted even after sleeping and have an essay due in 15 minutes... it's not even at the draft quality it needs to be.
Fortunately it's not for a grade but the prof does want to read over it... He likes me so maybe giving it to him later today might be allowed.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:47 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Hurdergaryp wrote:Geert getting his way is a scary concept to behold, but I'm afraid I don't get it.

Ohoohooo no, no more state projects. We're still in hostile talks with the city of London to be paid for the goddamn Olympic Stadium light fittings already.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
My TG box is for friends, not food
Feel like making a direct change rather than just bickering over crises?
Help give orphaned children a safe environment to grow
Combat Homelessness

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:48 am

The balkens wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

ill help build it.

If I remember correctly, someone already tried that, but made the mistake of assuming that an invading German army wouldn't just invade around it. Which, to be fair, isn't as ridiculous as I make it sound - very few nations use the "more wars" technique to resolve logistical and strategic impediments.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:50 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The balkens wrote:
ill help build it.

If I remember correctly, someone already tried that, but made the mistake of assuming that an invading German army wouldn't just invade around it. Which, to be fair, isn't as ridiculous as I make it sound - very few nations use the "more wars" technique to resolve logistical and strategic impediments.

The only reason why the Maginot lined failed is that Belgium pussed out of it.

That and the the french army was still recovering from ww1.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:50 am

Gallade wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Ohoohooo no, no more state projects. We're still in hostile talks with the city of London to be paid for the goddamn Olympic Stadium light fittings already.

Well, I'm not suggesting I need to be paid off for PR purposes, but the only thing I remember of the London Olympics is how the lighting fixtures were merely adequate. That, and Rowan Atkinson's...100m men's world record? Lighting the torch? Cricket commentary? Something like that.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:51 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The balkens wrote:
ill help build it.

We don't speak of the Maginot Line, shhh.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
Combat Homelessness

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:53 am

Gallade wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

Blame Belgium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIWZuNewo9w

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:54 am

The balkens wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

In fairness to Narnia it wasn't its fault that Hitler gave zero shits about the inviolability of neutrality. Should the Maginot line been extended to the British Channel, probably, but invading a neutral nation was until that point largely unthinkable.

Combat Homelessness

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:55 am

Gallade wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

As someone who has only ever lived in island nations (and also the UAE, but I was in my infancy and was not consulted on that particular residency arrangement), I feel no remorse for bringing up the many futile attempts at building walls, lines, and fortified alpines across the world.

The Great Wall of China? Pah, you can't even see it from space. Trump's Wall? Pah, he's putting a door in it. Hadrian's Wall? Pah, the barbarians have Trident now. Stonewall? Pah, his side lost. The Swiss Alps? Pah, independent London shall crush their banks.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:56 am

Does Baertschi sound like a rejected Pokémon?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 05, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Abserdia » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:56 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:Does Baertschi sound like a rejected Pokémon?

Um... no?
Black lives matter

Recommend me shoegaze and ambient music.

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright
I can't believe your song is gone so soon...
I barely learned the tune
So soon, so soon

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:57 am

Gallade wrote:
The balkens wrote:

In fairness to Narnia it wasn't its fault that Hitler gave zero shits about the inviolability of neutrality. Should the Maginot line been extended to the British Channel, probably, but invading a neutral nation was until that point largely unthinkable.

It should have been thinkable. considering the Germans performed the SAME maneuver as according to the schlieffen plan, but that didnt count on British intervention, as the war plan was a rather old one. Shouldve came up with a more updated plan in order to keep the british out.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 am

Gallade wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

They took a different route and went around it!

Abserdia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Does Baertschi sound like a rejected Pokémon?

Um... no?

Does it sound like a NHL sniper drafted by the Calgary Flames?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:59 am

The balkens wrote:
Gallade wrote:In fairness to Narnia it wasn't its fault that Hitler gave zero shits about the inviolability of neutrality. Should the Maginot line been extended to the British Channel, probably, but invading a neutral nation was until that point largely unthinkable.

It should have been thinkable. considering the Germans performed the SAME maneuver as according to the schlieffen plan, but that didnt count on British intervention, as the war plan was a rather old one. Shouldve came up with a more updated plan in order to keep the british out.

But WWI tactics are hip and happening.

Combat Homelessness

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:01 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
Gallade wrote:Ohoohooo no, no more state projects. We're still in hostile talks with the city of London to be paid for the goddamn Olympic Stadium light fittings already.

Well, I'm not suggesting I need to be paid off for PR purposes, but the only thing I remember of the London Olympics is how the lighting fixtures were merely adequate. That, and Rowan Atkinson's...100m men's world record? Lighting the torch? Cricket commentary? Something like that.

The fittings were dreadful, all the light got out.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:02 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:

The fittings were dreadful, all the light got out.

We will bury you.

Combat Homelessness

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:03 am

Gallade wrote:
The balkens wrote:

Not to that pesky kaiser, and to think we named a bread product after him.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:04 am

The balkens wrote:
Gallade wrote:In fairness to Narnia it wasn't its fault that Hitler gave zero shits about the inviolability of neutrality. Should the Maginot line been extended to the British Channel, probably, but invading a neutral nation was until that point largely unthinkable.

In my educated opinion, drawing from years of university education, I blame the French media for not doing their part in producing a pro-Maginot narrative and pan-Benelux communal identity, which could have been done by utilizing focus groups to test the effectiveness of various semiotic devices.

Drawing from my uneducated opinion, and a basic knowledge of logic, I have a feeling that's not quite the best way of going around it. I don't really see how Belgium could have participated in building the Maginot Line without giving up what was probably the only real military advantage they had (the only winning move is not to play). If I were in the Belgian position, though, I would have really liked the Maginot Line to stretch to the Channel - it might have kept the Germans busy ramming into Alsace instead of spending the effort on Belgium just to hit more Maginot.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:04 am

Gallade wrote:
The balkens wrote:

But WWI tactics are hip and happening.

That Italians thought that and faced the full might of American firepower at sicily and southern Italy, as well as Africa.
The Japanese worked around the INSANELY dumb idea of Decisive battle (based upon the 1905 war against the russians).

The russians back in the winter war, however, had to make shit up to stalin in order to justify the EXTREME casualties the red army was facing due to Trenches being filled with angry and irate finns.

against Finland.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:06 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
The balkens wrote:

In my educated opinion, drawing from years of university education, I blame the French media for not doing their part in producing a pro-Maginot narrative and pan-Benelux communal identity, which could have been done by utilizing focus groups to test the effectiveness of various semiotic devices.

Drawing from my uneducated opinion, and a basic knowledge of logic, I have a feeling that's not quite the best way of going around it. I don't really see how Belgium could have participated in building the Maginot Line without giving up what was probably the only real military advantage they had (the only winning move is not to play). If I were in the Belgian position, though, I would have really liked the Maginot Line to stretch to the Channel - it might have kept the Germans busy ramming into Alsace instead of spending the effort on Belgium just to hit more Maginot.

Still the same outcome, i believe. The allies probably had to buy time somehow, and that was the best they could do.

Hell, France had quality tanks at the start of the war.
So way to go france, you were ahead of the germans.
Last edited by The balkens on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:09 am

Gallade wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:The fittings were dreadful, all the light got out.
We will bury you.
In darkness, apparently.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 am

The balkens wrote:But WWI tactics are hip and happening.

That Italians thought that and faced the full might of American firepower at sicily and southern Italy, as well as Africa.
The Japanese worked around the INSANELY dumb idea of Decisive battle (based upon the 1905 war against the russians).

The russians back in the winter war, however, had to make shit up to stalin in order to justify the EXTREME casualties the red army was facing due to Trenches being filled with angry and irate finns.

against Finland.

Decisive battle was a doctrine that was, unfortunately, developed through a fundamental error in the Japanese view of geopolitics. That is, the idea of a homogenous Europe. They knew that, like all the European powers, Russia was an unattainable goal for the Asian regional powers to compete with. So they gave it a shot anyway.

It only took one offensive to basically total the Russian fleet in Asia - it really was decisive, because Russia has never been a particular naval power, and certainly not based out of Port Sweetfuckall, Kamchatska. The Japanese did not quite realise that the USA, however, could not physically fit the entirity of their navy in the Pacific into Pearl Harbour. Also, most of the ships that they did sink were sort of just shrugged off and reanimated like gigantic metal zombies.

And then Japanese industry really couldn't keep up with an America that was somewhat larger, and also less susceptible to firebombing. Also, it had the atomic bomb near the end, and really fucking angry Russians who were nominally on their side, just as a sort of shit icing on the death cake.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General