NATION

PASSWORD

Relationship and getting one thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:My point is that people for whom the people meeting those categories is a lot more narrow, would have a much more difficult time dating.

For example, I disapprove of all non-marital sex, which disqualifies the vast majority of people just on the "similar moral outlook" one. Then, you have to further narrow it down. You end up with the potential pool being only a very, very tiny fraction of the population (most likely, well under one-percent), and even have the possibility of going much of your life never actually having a chance to meet a person who is part of that pool.

Oh ego search. I missed this response.

It's adorable that you think this is a unique situation and that everyone else is wandering around going, "Fuck it, they've got the junk I'm looking for, it'll do."

Buuuuut, that's not the case. The default setting for just about everybody, even that jerkwad that keeps elbowing you and telling you he'd have a go at that chick (trans-atlantic slang mashing!) is 'they don't want to fuck'. The percentage of women on this Earth who want to fuck me is so ridiculously small that it might as well be zero and yet...it's still happened. And the number of women I want to fuck...actually want to fuck and not just "Sweet jesus she has a nice body and a pleasant enough personality that it doesn't detract from that..." is effectively zero and yet I've met more than the number who also wanted to fuck me.

It's not that I lack standards or don't have some sort of list of my own that isn't as strict, it's that I live in the world that's chocked full of fucking people and you eventually meet all manner of motherfuckers out there.

I don't know if you're going to find 'the one'. I don't care much either way, but it could happen. It happens to a lot of people and their puzzle pieces whether you believe it or not are just as weird as yours if a different shape. You don't have to even look for it. I never have, I've just gotten on with my life and occasionally noticed that there was someone running parallel with me. If you refuse to accept the possibility then yes, you won't find anyone. But it's not because you have standards. That's silly.

Literally about 85% of people in my potential dating pool have had sex, so, yeah, I consider that statistically significant, as it rules out about 85% of women.

So, of the remaining 15%, we would have to apply whatever the percentage points of ones that there is mutual attraction with, then the percentage of those that like to talk about history, theology, philosophy (and other things of that sort) pretty much all the time, and then the percentage points of those who would be likely to make the first move (as I have mentioned, I have crippling anxiety to the point of panic attacks in public even when women do approach me), and then the percentage that are fine with the fairly high chance that any children we will have will inherit my mental illnesses.

But yeah, totally not statistically significant.

Also, as for just meeting people: I just went ten months without meeting even a friend at my university. So, no, I have no faith in people just falling into my lap, my life isn't an anime where I'm the main character.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:52 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:This is unscientific.

And yet, you expect me to take your anecdotal evidence at face value?

And a weird leap. Like a super weird leap. I don't get this logic at all. In fact, the more I examine it and try to make sense of it, the odder it gets. I can't even come up with jokey explanations of how this is supposed to work.

You went on about how I didn't want to consider your friends success as being legitimate because it could have been me. I said it's not me, because if that was the case, I'd have already had a girlfriend.

You've taken it personal.

Because you people made it about me.

Not really sure why this is being brought up, though.

You said I had made this about me when it was people like you who did it. You brought it up, not me.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:53 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Oh ego search. I missed this response.

It's adorable that you think this is a unique situation and that everyone else is wandering around going, "Fuck it, they've got the junk I'm looking for, it'll do."

Buuuuut, that's not the case. The default setting for just about everybody, even that jerkwad that keeps elbowing you and telling you he'd have a go at that chick (trans-atlantic slang mashing!) is 'they don't want to fuck'. The percentage of women on this Earth who want to fuck me is so ridiculously small that it might as well be zero and yet...it's still happened. And the number of women I want to fuck...actually want to fuck and not just "Sweet jesus she has a nice body and a pleasant enough personality that it doesn't detract from that..." is effectively zero and yet I've met more than the number who also wanted to fuck me.

It's not that I lack standards or don't have some sort of list of my own that isn't as strict, it's that I live in the world that's chocked full of fucking people and you eventually meet all manner of motherfuckers out there.

I don't know if you're going to find 'the one'. I don't care much either way, but it could happen. It happens to a lot of people and their puzzle pieces whether you believe it or not are just as weird as yours if a different shape. You don't have to even look for it. I never have, I've just gotten on with my life and occasionally noticed that there was someone running parallel with me. If you refuse to accept the possibility then yes, you won't find anyone. But it's not because you have standards. That's silly.

Literally about 85% of people in my potential dating pool have had sex, so, yeah, I consider that statistically significant, as it rules out about 85% of women.

So, of the remaining 15%, we would have to apply whatever the percentage points of ones that there is mutual attraction with, then the percentage of those that like to talk about history, theology, philosophy (and other things of that sort) pretty much all the time, and then the percentage points of those who would be likely to make the first move (as I have mentioned, I have crippling anxiety to the point of panic attacks in public even when women do approach me), and then the percentage that are fine with the fairly high chance that any children we will have will inherit my mental illnesses.

Also, as for just meeting people: I just went ten months without meeting even a friend at my university. So, no, I have no faith in people just falling into my lap, my life isn't an anime where I'm the main character.

I mean, you know those numbers you just pulled out of your ass are actually better than mine, right?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:55 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Literally about 85% of people in my potential dating pool have had sex, so, yeah, I consider that statistically significant, as it rules out about 85% of women.

I mean, you know those numbers you just pulled out of your ass are actually better than mine, right?

I didn't pull them out of my ass: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr036.pdf
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:58 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:This is unscientific.

And yet, you expect me to take your anecdotal evidence at face value?

Again, I don't expect shit out of you except to bang the same drum over and over again no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Thought I was clear on that.
Costa Fierro wrote:
And a weird leap. Like a super weird leap. I don't get this logic at all. In fact, the more I examine it and try to make sense of it, the odder it gets. I can't even come up with jokey explanations of how this is supposed to work.

You went on about how I didn't want to consider your friends success as being legitimate because it could have been me. I said it's not me, because if that was the case, I'd have already had a girlfriend.

You know you just said the exact same thing without actually explaining anything, right?
Costa Fierro wrote:
You've taken it personal.

Because you people made it about me.

We're talking about you and your philosophy and your failure to get a relationship. Do you want us to dress up a doll and call it CF and pretend that's who we're talking about?
Costa Fierro wrote:
Not really sure why this is being brought up, though.

You said I had made this about me when it was people like you who did it. You brought it up, not me.

"Where ever there's a bavarian who is only kind of hungry, you'll be there..."

That's a pretty esoteric reference but fuck it. What I'm responding to only makes a marginal amount of sense anyway and I'm guessing to fill in a whole lot of blanks, I can make a stretch.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I mean, you know those numbers you just pulled out of your ass are actually better than mine, right?

wouldn't your dating pool be your local orthodox church tho
likes meet where likes gather
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I mean, you know those numbers you just pulled out of your ass are actually better than mine, right?

Great. They're still better. Go out there and get 'em champ.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Kubra wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I didn't pull them out of my ass: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr036.pdf
wouldn't your dating pool be your local orthodox church tho

I generally define my dating pool to be women age 19 (my own age) to 24 (I don't really want to date younger than myself).

If I were to limit it to the local Orthodox Church, then the dating pool would be nonexistent, because the only girl there my age is the priest's daughter, who, while I like her, is already in a committed relationship.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Kubra wrote: wouldn't your dating pool be your local orthodox church tho

I generally define my dating pool to be women age 19 (my own age) to 24 (I don't really want to date younger than myself).

If I were to limit it to the local Orthodox Church, then the dating pool would be nonexistent, because the only girl there my age is the priest's daughter, who, while I like her, is already in a committed relationship.

Ooooo...preacher's daughter...

fuck it, that's too easy...moving on...

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:03 pm

Are you not willing to date someone who is at least just Catholic?
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:03 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:I didn't pull them out of my ass: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr036.pdf

Great. They're still better. Go out there and get 'em champ.

Even with all the other qualifiers I mentioned? Like I mentioned before, women generally don't jump for mentally ill, socially awkward, and socially anxious men. I actually mentioned earlier in the thread that the only noticing women did of me in my first year was start a horrible rumor about me because of my reclusiveness.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:03 pm

try sunday service at a dif church on the grounds of ecumenism.
They might not be orthodox, but they'll at least be down with the whole sex-after-marriage thing and be some sort of christian
no prots tho
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:04 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:We're talking about you and your philosophy and your failure to get a relationship. Do you want us to dress up a doll and call it CF and pretend that's who we're talking about?

So why bring it up that I've made the thread about myself then?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:04 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I generally define my dating pool to be women age 19 (my own age) to 24 (I don't really want to date younger than myself).

Are you not willing to date someone who is at least just Catholic?

I would be, which is why I said I wouldn't limit it, but, for marriage (which is what I am ultimately looking for) to be on the table, they would have to convert.

Draymond
Attaché

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Draymond » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 pm

First, there will always be somebody in the world who is just as attractive as you are, so never feel that you don't have the looks to find a partner.

Secondly, from a male-to-female perspective, looks don't matter all that much anyway. Guys care more about appearance than girls do. Girls aren't nearly as primal. A sense of humor and a personality can get you very far out of your league.

Thirdly, hygiene is important. Always take showers. Always brush your teeth. Always wash and comb your hair. Pay attention to the little details, because someone else might too. Clean/cut your nails. Clean your ears out every now and then.

Fourth, fashion. Not really that important. Keep your clothes clean and in good condition. Never wear dirty or torn clothing. If you really want to look nice, look up some ideas for outfits on the internet or tips on current style trends. But never take up a clothing style that your personality can't back up.

Fifth, watch your words and actions. People look at that shit. People want to know you'll be a secure partner. Try to stay calm during arguments. Don't belittle their interests or ideas. Don't say and do shit that will make them think you can't provide what you're supposed to, because psychologically, that's a real detriment. Think about what a primitive human being would want" safety, protection, strength, all that. Then think of ways you can subliminally show your partner you're the one who can provide it.

And finally, be authentic to yourself, because that's the ultimate decider.
Last edited by Draymond on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Kubra wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I generally define my dating pool to be women age 19 (my own age) to 24 (I don't really want to date younger than myself).

try sunday service at a dif church on the grounds of ecumenism.
They might not be orthodox, but they'll at least be down with the whole sex-after-marriage thing and be some sort of christian
no prots tho

I tolerate ecumenism in that I think all non-Orthodox churches should seek unity with the Orthodox Church.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Great. They're still better. Go out there and get 'em champ.

Even with all the other qualifiers I mentioned? Like I mentioned before, women generally don't jump for mentally ill, socially awkward, and socially anxious men. I actually mentioned earlier in the thread that the only noticing women did of me in my first year was start a horrible rumor about me because of my reclusiveness.

Yes, you special little snowflake you, yes. Your hang ups are your hang ups and everyone else has a big ol' list of their own. It's uniquely human maybe...maybe, I can't help but think there's a rabbit out there who thinks he's the only selective rabbit in the world...but it is not unique to you. It is a grotesquely small number for everyone, but the good news is we meet a fuckton of people in our lives.

You're 19. You've barely even started.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:We're talking about you and your philosophy and your failure to get a relationship. Do you want us to dress up a doll and call it CF and pretend that's who we're talking about?

'Cause you have. You know you have, there's no real need to do this play within a play, we can move on.

Draymond
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Draymond » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Great. They're still better. Go out there and get 'em champ.

I meet a lot of people like you: people who feel that nobody would ever go for somebody who's x, x, and x. But that's not true! Plenty of potential partners have x, x, and x. And plenty of potential partners are willing to overlook x, x, and x. Charles Manson once had a girlfriend. If people can overlook leading a cult to commit numerous homicides, anything else is surely possible.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:13 pm

Kubra wrote: try sunday service at a dif church on the grounds of ecumenism.
no prots tho

I tolerate ecumenism in that I think all non-Orthodox churches should seek unity with the Orthodox Church.
oy, your only option is to move to eastern europe then
well, in all seriousness, that's not a bad idea. Native english speakers get a good deal wherever they go, it's our perfidious anglo privilege, and you won't have to worry about girls not being orthodox.
Last edited by Kubra on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade J. Posadas

Draymond
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Draymond » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

'Cause you have. You know you have, there's no real need to do this play within a play, we can move on.

Nothing wrong with a good frame story.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Kubra wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I tolerate ecumenism in that I think all non-Orthodox churches should seek unity with the Orthodox Church.
oy, your only option is to move to eastern europe then
well, in all seriousness, that's not a bad idea. Native english speakers get a good deal wherever they go, and you won't have to worry about girls not being orthodox.

I have strongly considered it. Mainly considering Belarus because, if I picked Russia, I feel like I would be confined to Moscow, and because Ukraine is an eternal shithole. The main problem is that it would be another three or more years before I could even hope to get there, and I don't know how good their mental health programs are.

New Benian Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Benian Republic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:19 pm

Don't do it, they'll be your fiancée and then cheat on you a few days before marriage with your best mate.
~~~Support Sinn Féinn I guess~~~

~Like all true Irishmen I have no ancestors. I was birthed from Ireland's soil itself, fully formed, like a potato.~
Pro: United Ireland, IRA, Allan Ryan, Palestine, Malvinas, Ukraine, Hamas-Fatah cooperation, legalized Gay marriage, Tibetan Resistance, Basque Separatists, OPM.
Neutral: Bathroom segregation.

Anti: English Imperialism, Nazism, communism, Israel, Zionism, Margret thatcher, Martin McGuinness, good Friday agreement.
I am an Irish Atheist and Republican, Not a Dissident stop saying I am.
RIP Óglach Alan Ryan

~~Proud Gaelige Speaker~~

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Olive Garden?

You better get a penicillin shot, ASAP. That or women from Washington are nuts. The women of California have nothing but disdain for the foul establishment known as Olive Garden.

Nah, I'm talking Florida girls.

That's an extremely low standard there.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Kubra wrote: oy, your only option is to move to eastern europe then
well, in all seriousness, that's not a bad idea. Native english speakers get a good deal wherever they go, and you won't have to worry about girls not being orthodox.

I have strongly considered it. Mainly considering Belarus because, if I picked Russia, I feel like I would be confined to Moscow, and because Ukraine is an eternal shithole. The main problem is that it would be another three or more years before I could even hope to get there, and I don't know how good their mental health programs are.
what's wrong with Moscow tho
you're in a shining world capital, what more could you want? Affordable rent?
They're probably bad, but whatever meds you're getting now are gonna be 10x cheaper. Lotta cheap meds in Russia.
Comrade J. Posadas

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General