NATION

PASSWORD

Religious children are meaner than their secular counterpart

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you think Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts?

Yes
30%
No
37%
The source is for stupid liberal hippies.
12%
All hail cthulhu.
22%

Total votes : 93

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Religious children are meaner than their secular counterpart

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:38 am

Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds
Children from religious families are less kind and more punitive than those from non-religious households, according to a new study.

Academics from seven universities across the world studied Christian, Muslim and non-religious children to test the relationship between religion and morality.

They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

“Overall, our findings ... contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others,” said the authors of The Negative Association Between Religiousness and Children’s Altruism Across the World, published this week in Current Biology.

“More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularisation of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness – in fact, it will do just the opposite.”

Almost 1,200 children, aged between five and 12, in the US, Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey and South Africa participated in the study. Almost 24% were Christian, 43% Muslim, and 27.6% non-religious. The numbers of Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and other children were too small to be statistically valid.

My Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... kids-study\
I believe it is a joke that religious children are being brought up in a such an environment that makes them meaner than their secular counterparts. We need to make laws that restrict the child abuse done to children by religious parents. Abusive parents makes abusive children it makes common sense and to further develop a right moral development we need to make sure children are free from the abuses of a religious lifestyle. Religious people are more violent: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html
Commit more crimes: http://www.salon.com/2013/06/12/study_t ... religious/
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/06/22/ ... re-crimes/
Even, inside the church we have abuses. In this day and age it must change, there is evidence ladies and gentleman that it must change, here and now. The question is though, do you think Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts?
Pros: Atheism, Free Market, Legalization of all drugs, Secularism, Freedom from Religion, Abortions, LGBT Rights, Libertarians, MRAs, Humanism
Anti: Religion, Islam, Liberals, Feminist, BLM, Communists, Fascists, Religion impacting government policy, Riot Games, Blizzard, Emo and Scene Kids

Vulkata II
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:40 am

This again
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
The player is currently:Clear|Busy
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:40 am

The study you quoted at the top of the OP is poorly-constructed and doesn't adequately control for cultural factors besides religion.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:42 am

USS Monitor wrote:The study you quoted at the top of the OP is poorly-constructed and doesn't adequately control for cultural factors besides religion.

I have noticed that religious parents give more punitive punishments than secular ones.
Pros: Atheism, Free Market, Legalization of all drugs, Secularism, Freedom from Religion, Abortions, LGBT Rights, Libertarians, MRAs, Humanism
Anti: Religion, Islam, Liberals, Feminist, BLM, Communists, Fascists, Religion impacting government policy, Riot Games, Blizzard, Emo and Scene Kids

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:42 am

USS Monitor wrote:The study you quoted at the top of the OP is poorly-constructed and doesn't adequately control for cultural factors besides religion.

Heck i checked his Forum posts and saw something about like "You would let a innocent bystander get hurt than a Muslim?" something like that, brain is dusty as a attic
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:43 am

United States of Atheism wrote:

I have noticed that religious parents give more punitive punishments than secular ones.

Anecdotal evidence is the best. :roll:
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:43 am

Vulkata II wrote:

Heck i checked his Forum posts and saw something about like "You would let a innocent bystander get hurt than a Muslim?" something like that, brain is dusty as a attic

Brains don't get dusty, obviously you don't do science.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:45 am

Didn't we have a thread on this "study"
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:46 am

Neutraligon wrote:Didn't we have a thread on this "study"

I wasn't there for it good sir.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:46 am

Vulkata II wrote:Heck i checked his Forum posts and saw something about like "You would let a innocent bystander get hurt than a Muslim?" something like that, brain is dusty as a attic

My brains got dusty all the time before I sank. Now they're just rusty.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:47 am

USS Monitor wrote:
United States of Atheism wrote:Brains don't get dusty, obviously you don't do science.

And wet.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:47 am

Vulkata II wrote:Heck i checked his Forum posts and saw something about like "You would let a innocent bystander get hurt than a Muslim?" something like that, brain is dusty as a attic

If I recall the study had piss poor controls.
Just A Little though

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:48 am

Neutraligon wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

And wet.

Yes, that is what causes the rust. I don't know how you humans keep your brains from rusting when there is so much fluid in them.

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:49 am

Neutraligon wrote:
United States of Atheism wrote:Brains don't get dusty, obviously you don't do science.

If you don't mind sir, may you kindly post the study? I could only find the news about it, I want to properly read it. If it is terrible then it is worth dismissing.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:49 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:And wet.

Yes, that is what causes the rust. I don't know how you humans keep your brains from rusting when there is so much fluid in them.

I find it nice that we're talking about brains instead of US of Atheism's poor written post of why Religion is bad again

_[' ]_

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:50 am

"A comprehensive study by Harvard University professor Robert Putnam found that religious people are more charitable than their irreligious counterparts. The study revealed that forty percent of worship service attending Americans volunteer regularly to help the poor and elderly as opposed to 15% of Americans who never attend services. Moreover, religious individuals are more likely than non-religious individuals to volunteer for school and youth programs (36% vs. 15%), a neighborhood or civic group (26% vs. 13%), and for health care (21% vs. 13%)."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opi ... 5_ST_N.htm

Maybe it's like children don't get altruism, but when they grow up, they help the community. That would make religion better overall.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:53 am

Petrolheadia wrote:"A comprehensive study by Harvard University professor Robert Putnam found that religious people are more charitable than their irreligious counterparts. The study revealed that forty percent of worship service attending Americans volunteer regularly to help the poor and elderly as opposed to 15% of Americans who never attend services. Moreover, religious individuals are more likely than non-religious individuals to volunteer for school and youth programs (36% vs. 15%), a neighborhood or civic group (26% vs. 13%), and for health care (21% vs. 13%)."

And what can you say?

When gay marriage was legal Oregan and Washington they packed their bags and secular people had to take over the efforts. Religious people are nice to encourage conversion from my experience, I mean if you are poor and starving but you have a soup kitchen where you have to be christian to eat at, you would convert. On another subject, I find a lot of religious people quite rude to a lot of LGBT people.
Last edited by United States of Atheism on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:53 am

Petrolheadia wrote:"A comprehensive study by Harvard University professor Robert Putnam found that religious people are more charitable than their irreligious counterparts. The study revealed that forty percent of worship service attending Americans volunteer regularly to help the poor and elderly as opposed to 15% of Americans who never attend services. Moreover, religious individuals are more likely than non-religious individuals to volunteer for school and youth programs (36% vs. 15%), a neighborhood or civic group (26% vs. 13%), and for health care (21% vs. 13%)."

Maybe it's like children don't get altruism, but when they grow up, they help the community. That would make religion better overall.

Or maybe secular people channel their altruism into other channels like supporting government programs that benefit the poor.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:55 am

And what can you say?

When gay marriage was legal Oregan and Washington they packed their bags and secular people had to take over the efforts. Religious people are nice to encourage conversion from my experience, I mean if you are poor and starving but you have a soup kitchen where you have to be christian to eat at, you would convert.

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact the soup kitchens help people.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:55 am

USS Monitor wrote:
United States of Atheism wrote:When gay marriage was legal Oregan and Washington they packed their bags and secular people had to take over the efforts. Religious people are nice to encourage conversion from my experience, I mean if you are poor and starving but you have a soup kitchen where you have to be christian to eat at, you would convert.

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact the soup kitchens help people.

Burn.

Well at least for me that felt like a burn

_[' ]_

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:57 am

USS Monitor wrote:
United States of Atheism wrote:When gay marriage was legal Oregan and Washington they packed their bags and secular people had to take over the efforts. Religious people are nice to encourage conversion from my experience, I mean if you are poor and starving but you have a soup kitchen where you have to be christian to eat at, you would convert.

They should help people regardless, if I worked at a soup kitchen I wouldn't keep religious people out.

Vulkata II wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Burn.

Well at least for me that felt like a burn

It's not really a burn, it is more or less a civil discussion.
Last edited by United States of Atheism on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:58 am

USS Monitor wrote:

Or maybe secular people channel their altruism into other channels like supporting government programs that benefit the poor.

I guess that is because most religious people have right-wing values. But on the other hand, instead of voting for someone who says he will help, they move their asses and actually help.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:58 am

USS Monitor wrote:

They should help people regardless, if I worked at a soup kitchen I wouldn't keep religious people out.

That's actually the point of soup kitchens.

To feed the poor and homeless

_[' ]_

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:58 am

Neutraligon wrote:

If you don't mind sir, may you kindly post the study? I could only find the news about it, I want to properly read it. If it is terrible then it is worth dismissing.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/pdf/S0960-9822(15)01167-7.pdf

This is what I can give, not sure if you have access to the site.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:59 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I guess that is because most religious people have right-wing values. But on the other hand, instead of voting for someone who says he will help, they move their asses and actually help.

So basically, they are fixing the problems they have caused by supporting the republicans instead of the Libertarians.
Vulkata II wrote:
United States of Atheism wrote:They should help people regardless, if I worked at a soup kitchen I wouldn't keep religious people out.

That's actually the point of soup kitchens.

To feed the poor and homeless

In my area in the US, they would only help Christians, then they packed up and left after gay marriage was legalized.
Last edited by United States of Atheism on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General