NATION

PASSWORD

Battle of Kursk: turning point?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What is the turning point of WW2?

The Lend-Lease Act
11%
The Battle of Moscow
9%
The US entry into the war
20%
The Battles of El Alamein
6%
The Battle of Stalingrad
43%
The Battle of Kursk
5%
The Invasion of Italy
1%
The Invasion of Normandy
5%
Operation Bagration
1%

Total votes : 152

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Battle of Kursk: turning point?

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Since it's the anniversary of perhaps the largest single battle in human history, I thought it fitting to open up a discussion on the importance of the Battle of Kursk.

The major battles of the Eastern Front are usually forgotten in the West in discussing the war. If they are recalled at all, Stalingrad, Kursk and maybe Moscow are mentioned. Usually they are referenced as some sort of defining "turning point" of the course of the war, a decisive battle whose outcome shifted the fortunes of the war.

Kursk is often selected as the turning point. The opening phase of the battle, Operation Citadel, was the last German offensive. After the battle, they would be limited to local counterattacks and occasional counterstrokes against a Soviet Army that was constantly on the offensive, not able to even approach retaking the strategic initiative in the war.

I do not think this is the case. I contend that Germany had already lost before the first panzers rolled into battle at Kursk, that the contest had already been decided unbeknownst to its participants, and the outcome at Kursk is merely demonstrative of the fact that the Soviets were going to win the war.

So let's set the stage. The German Sixth Army has been ground to dust in Stalingrad. The Soviet counteroffensives in Operations Uranus, Mars, and Saturn had thrown Army Group South out of the Caucasus, inflicting catastrophic losses to the Axis, Germans and allies alike. When the Soviet offensives paused from exhaustion, a counterstroke in the south pushed the southern flank of the Soviet lines back in the 3rd Battle of Kharkov. The spring rasputitsa hit, turned the country into a muddy quagmire, and thus the battle lines were frozen in place through the spring.

A large salient, or bulge, juts out from Soviet held territory around the city of Kursk, 250 km from north to south, and 160 kilometers from east to west. The Oberkommado der Heer (High Command of the Army) wished to shorten German lines by destroying the Kursk salient. With Hitler's go-ahead, planning began in earnest for Operation Citadel in April.

This choice was obvious. So obvious that the Soviet military command, Stavka, were aware of German intentions even without access to decrypted German wire traffic. The choice to fight it out with the Soviet military at Kursk demonstrated the profound weakness of the strategic sense of the Heer. While they had a competent command of tactical operations (in the East, usually corps/division size or below), their understanding of the larger picture of the whole war, the strategic level, was poorly lacking.

The Soviets thus turned the Kursk salient into a fortress of men and arms while the Germans built up their forces for the attack. The determination was to stop German breakthroughs from occurring, thus preventing any encirclements or major shifts in the frontlines, defeating their attacks before they could truly become dangerous.

The Germans failed to conceal their buildup both strategically, via the comprimised nature of their wireless networks, as well as operationally. This could only ensure that the defender would set the field in their favor. An elementary military notion, first codified by Sun Tzu, is to not fight the enemy on his terms; to avoid where he is strong and attack where he is weak.

The only real objective of Operation Citadel was, for all intents and purposes, a short-sighted tactical objective. They wished to shorten the lines to economize their forces. They showed very little appreciation for what Soviet military theorists termed "the operational art", the level of doctrine that links that tactical scale with the strategic scale. Put simply, the operational art is how you string together tactical situations, both victories and defeats, to create the conditions for strategic victory.

By contrast with the German's objectives, the Soviets had come to understand the operational art through the painful lessons of 1941 and 1942, and had begun to take the theories of revolutionary military leaders of the 30s like Marshall Tukhevasky, the "deep battle" doctrine, and employ it successfully in a real war against the greatest enemy they had ever faced.

The Soviets had an operational plan for the Kursk salient. Fortress Kursk would be a rock on which the German military would expend itself, leaving it vulnerable to planned counterstrokes in adjacent sectors. Forces would be held in reserve; over a million men, thousands of tanks and assault guns, tens of thousands of artillery pieces, for the opportune moment to capitalize on the situation. The strategic goal was to cripple the ability of the Wehrmacht to hold the initiative, and begin ejecting them from the Soviet Union.

Soviet planners thus had clear plans on the tactical, operational and strategic levels at Kursk, and a realistic appraisal of the capabilities of their forces. Gone was Stalin's pompous attitude of 42, where counteroffensives were imagined to be all but war deciding. Kursk had modestly ambitious goals, realistically calculated based on the somewhat stochastic nature of the present Soviet military.

Thus, when the German offensives began on 5 July 1943, the attacking forces of Army Group Center, attacking the north of the Kursk salient near Ponyri, and the forces of Army Group South, attacking the south of the salient near Belgorod, ran into a fortress of minefields, bunkers, anti-tank guns and trenches filled with soldiers. Concentric rings of defense, layered all the way from the front-line to the city of Kursk itself, ensured a hard-fought battle that would expend men, equipment and resources for precious little gain. In nearly two weeks of constant offensive action, the Wehrmacht made very little progress.

In the north, General of the Army Konstantin Rokossovvsky utterly frustrated German efforts, holding to a maximum of 8 to 12 kilometers. Field Marshal Manstein's forces in the south fared better, penetrating to a max of 35 kilometers. This provoked Zhukov, the Stavka representative in charge of the overal battle, to make a blunder in reinforcing the Voronezh front. He committed one of the best formations available to the Soviets, the 5th Guards Tank Army (a corps sized unit, as the Soviets had deleted the corps level from organizations to simplify command and control after the disasters of 41). The 5th Guards Tank Army would charge head long into the II SS Panzer Corps near the town of Prokhorovka. This wasteful head to head battle, the largest direct tank engagement of the war, stopped the already blunted momentum of the SS Panzer Corps, but at significant cost to the Soviets.

By 16 July, the OKH and Hitler have given up on the Operation Citadel. More than just the men lost, over 58,000 casualties, many irretrievable, hundreds of tanks considered total losses, and hundreds more mission-killed, and the combat readiness of the Wehrmacht's best formations smashed, for a few kilometers of ground. Why the Soviets suffered high casualties as well, they had a far greater ability to sustain losses at this period. Remember how I talked about all those forces kept in reserve? The Soviets bring them into action. Soviet counteroffensives in the North and South begin on the 12, starting at a low tempo to halt reinforcement of the Citadel spearheads, and gaining tempo to further push the Germans back. Over nearly the next six weeks, the Soviets maul the German army along a 2,000km frontier, piling on irretrievable losses in men and material that the Germans cannot afford to lose.

In the period after Kursk, the Soviet army would be constantly on the offensive. This outcome, I contend, is not indicative of a turning point. It's indicative of a war that had already been decisively won doctrinally and logistically. The Soviets had more men and materiel to commit, even after the horrific losses inflicted in the opening stages of the war. And even while in near constant battle, they improved the organization and training of their military, while the quality of the Wehrmacht had already reached its high water mark and was continuing to deteriorate as the war progressed. The fact that the Soviets could sustain such horrific casualties in Kursk and continue unbroken chains of offensives, culminating 1 year later in Operation Bagration, which destroyed Army Group Center and broke the back of the Wehrmacht, demonstrates this. Wars are not CoD matches; K:D ratios do not determine the victor.

In summary, the outcome of the Battle of Kursk wasn't a turning point in the war; it was the battle that made it clear that the German's wouldn't just lose the war, it would mean unconditional surrender and the destruction of the Nazi regime. The Germans through their best at Kursk and failed. Even after this beating, the Soviets still had sufficient strength in reserve to progressively eject the invaders, all the way back to Berlin.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:41 pm

I'm actually going to jump a little earlier than your poll options and say that it was the failure of Germany to knock Britain out of the war before invading Russia.

edit: But to get back on topic, I find myself gaining a greater respect for Russian war planners in the later half of the second world war and the early cold war.

Was this kind of leadership always present? Was it simply repressed by the previous imperial government or was it the imperial governments other inefficiencies that caused the army to perform poorly?
Last edited by United Dependencies on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 pm

I dunno.
United Dependencies' point seems like a good idea. Britain's survival left a foothold for transatlantic reconquista, while the resilient eastern giant with a Russian heart would be able to mobilize its' resources to drown the Germans in a vast land they couldn't easily take. Hopefully anyway.
But then again the British still had the Mediterranean and could possibly mount an assault from there (?), so maybe the Isles weren't as important.
I thought the Battle of Moscow was pretty impressive. Hitler and Stalin were gunning for it and ultimately they couldn't reach it because of the heavy defense there. Same for Stalingrad. Wasn't an entire Army Group annihilated there, at what (I don't remember...) was the furthest east the Germans had reached?
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:01 pm

United Dependencies wrote:I'm actually going to jump a little earlier than your poll options and say that it was the failure of Germany to knock Britain out of the war before invading Russia.

edit: But to get back on topic, I find myself gaining a greater respect for Russian war planners in the later half of the second world war and the early cold war.

Was this kind of leadership always present? Was it simply repressed by the previous imperial government or was it the imperial governments other inefficiencies that caused the army to perform poorly?

Well I'd hazard a guess (based on my own amateur knowledge) was that the planning wasn't present until the mid-to-late-war period because predominant military thinking at that time was more archaic than what the Germans were utilizing. Kursk was more or less a standard attrition battle to break the German offensive but Operation Bagration was an accurate use of German Blitzkrieg combine arms warfare but on a vastly grander scale.

Although for the most part, there were other inefficiencies in the Soviet Army prior to Kursk that were simultaneously addressed, including inferior weaponry (for the most part anyway) as well as a lack of competent officers and strategic planners thanks to Stalin's purges.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 pm

United Dependencies wrote:I'm actually going to jump a little earlier than your poll options and say that it was the failure of Germany to knock Britain out of the war before invading Russia.

Keep in mind that the Soviet leadership would've likely performed much better in the early parts of Operation Barbarossa without the purges.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 pm

I would say Stalingrad was the turning point. Oh and wikipedia agrees with me.yay
It was the first time the German command would be defeated on a large scale. To add insult to injury it was a personal failure of Hitler's. When the Germans were trapped in there Hitler ordered that they fight to the last man instead of try a breakout scenario.

It was the first in a long series of Hitler's failures as a military leader, believing his forces should never retreat destroyed the army group and all of it's valuable equipment. And it wasn't a quick battle either, it was drawn out and painful for everyone involved.

Course I wouldn't say it's the reason the Germans lost the war overall. That was mostly down to logistics, with American industry behind the allies it was just a matter of holding the Germans in a multiple front war and bombing their production facilities. And with Britain as a springboard into Europe the outcome was pretty heavily in the allies favour.
It also helped that the German navy was locked up in dockyards, had they had stronger control of the seas earlier in the war the result could have been very different. Lets not forget the massive losses the U-boats inflicted on allied shipping.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:39 pm

As far as turning points though in regards to the European theater we should remember that Germany lost about 10x the amount of men on the Eastern Front than any other front in the war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_ca ... _War_Diary

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:42 pm

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:I would say Stalingrad was the turning point. Oh and wikipedia agrees with me.yay
It was the first time the German command would be defeated on a large scale. To add insult to injury it was a personal failure of Hitler's. When the Germans were trapped in there Hitler ordered that they fight to the last man instead of try a breakout scenario.

It was the first in a long series of Hitler's failures as a military leader, believing his forces should never retreat destroyed the army group and all of it's valuable equipment. And it wasn't a quick battle either, it was drawn out and painful for everyone involved.

Course I wouldn't say it's the reason the Germans lost the war overall. That was mostly down to logistics, with American industry behind the allies it was just a matter of holding the Germans in a multiple front war and bombing their production facilities. And with Britain as a springboard into Europe the outcome was pretty heavily in the allies favour.
It also helped that the German navy was locked up in dockyards, had they had stronger control of the seas earlier in the war the result could have been very different. Lets not forget the massive losses the U-boats inflicted on allied shipping.

Well it was hardly Hitler's first military mistake but it was certainly the first of his major blunders that visibly harmed Germany's chances.
Another was his decision to abandon the strategy of trapping entire Soviet armies in Panzer pincers out of impatience, instead he moved to a strategy of attrition which Germany could never win against the Soviets.

OH! And of course the completely idiotic decision to stall the advance on Moscow in favor of splitting a group off to take Stalingrad which would be a political/symbolic victory at best.
And I don't consider the oil fields there to be a valid reason because he'd have a much easier time seizing the fields in the Middle East.
Last edited by Genivaria on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:44 pm

As soon as Lend-Lease was extended to the SovUnion, Germany was doomed.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:As soon as Lend-Lease was extended to the SovUnion, Germany was doomed.

Soviet: We have many men but no guns.
American: We have many guns but no men.....hmmmm
Germany: I don't like where this is going.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:As soon as Lend-Lease was extended to the SovUnion, Germany was doomed.

The Soviet Union would have won the war without American assistance, but Lend-Lease did speed up the process.

Imperial Idaho
Senator

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Idaho » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:56 pm

I'd say Stalingrad, as after the Soviet victory they won at all after that, where since the start of the war it was German victory after victory, it was now Soviet victory after Victory on the east, and it made Hitler put more effort into the east instead of the west and of course next thing you know the USA was dropping atomic bombs on the Empire of Japan
I'm from the land of Coeur D'alene Idaho.
By Ballot or by Bullet, the Pub Party will win. The Pub Legacy Edition.
Ifreann wrote:The Romans placated the people with panem et circenses, bread and circuses. We will placate our people with dank space weed and hyper-HD vidya.
New Grestin wrote:> can't even get enough superiority to pull off a proper D-day
> Idaho is tossing out nukes like a cold war Oprah

(Image)
Tysoania wrote:You remind me of a mobster who gets things cleared out of the way.

Next up on the Sopranos...

Imperial "Slick" Idaho, the fixer.
Bralia wrote:Oh my fucking god. Do it again, guys, you both chose the number 7.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Genivaria wrote:Soviet: We have many men but no guns.

American trucks are glorious hero of Soviet Union.
Flarbinia wrote:The Soviet Union would have won the war without American assistance, but Lend-Lease did speed up the process.

I find that questionable, honestly. Had the SovUnion benefited neither from American intervention in the war nor Lend-Lease, it's doubtful that they could've sustained the logistics needed to fuel their great military machine at the same level it did.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Soviet: We have many men but no guns.

American trucks are glorious hero of Soviet Union.
Flarbinia wrote:The Soviet Union would have won the war without American assistance, but Lend-Lease did speed up the process.

I find that questionable, honestly. Had the SovUnion benefited neither from American intervention in the war nor Lend-Lease, it's doubtful that they could've sustained the logistics needed to fuel their great military machine at the same level it did.

Granted there are several things the Germans could've done better.
Like not being fucking evil and committing wholesale genocide against the Soviet civilian populace, way to rally your enemies against you numbnuts.

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:01 pm

A lot of the options are too late. By then the allies were winning.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:03 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:A lot of the options are too late. By then the allies were winning.

At the point that Operation Barbarossa began the Germans were indisputably winning the war in Europe.
And most of the Operation was very successful for the Germans, but they failed in key areas and completely underestimated the Soviet resolve and reserves.

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Of all the options available, people are actually saying the Lend-Lease Act was the turning point of WW2??
電光石火Lightning fast
For: RAGE, hypercapitalism, national fragmentation, city-states, transhumanism
Against: Feminism, identity politics, gun control, liberal-progressivism

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Southerly Gentleman wrote:Of all the options available, people are actually saying the Lend-Lease Act was the turning point of WW2??

Logistics are generally the most important part of modern-era campaigns.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:43 pm

That was definitely an omission on my part, though I would note that Lend-Lease Act was prior to Barbarossa.

Imperial Russia had a very impressive military tradition dating back to Peter the Great. Russia's poor showing in WW1 was probably an element of how arthritic the Tsarist regime had become, as well as some definite lucky breaks by the Germans like the Battle of Tannenberg. The biggest problem was a very real perception of injustice that sapped morale. The Imperial Russian Army was somewhat hidebound and aristocratic, and the very real perception was that millions were dying for the aristocrats' ambitions, who didn't even have the decency to be winning for all the blood and treasure being spilled.

But many of the top Soviet commanders had been junior officers in the Tsarist Army in WW1, had learned from their generals, in the Russian military academies, and gained practical experience in the Russian Civil War, which gave them a greater appreciation for the nature of modern manuever war than many of their German, French or British counterparts. This is why they tended to lead the way in tank doctrine in the interwar, and some of that rubbed off in Germany, who secretly cooperated with the Soviets in the 20s and early 30s to make an end-run around the Versailles treaty restrictions.
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:I dunno.
United Dependencies' point seems like a good idea. Britain's survival left a foothold for transatlantic reconquista, while the resilient eastern giant with a Russian heart would be able to mobilize its' resources to drown the Germans in a vast land they couldn't easily take. Hopefully anyway.
But then again the British still had the Mediterranean and could possibly mount an assault from there (?), so maybe the Isles weren't as important.
I thought the Battle of Moscow was pretty impressive. Hitler and Stalin were gunning for it and ultimately they couldn't reach it because of the heavy defense there. Same for Stalingrad. Wasn't an entire Army Group annihilated there, at what (I don't remember...) was the furthest east the Germans had reached?

Yeah. US Army historian David Glantz characterized the Battle of Moscow as the moment which demonstrated that Germans could not hope to win the war except by a long, protracted struggle, and the ambitions of Operation Barbarossa had failed. The biggest problem was simply logistical; even with the poor shape of the Soviet Army after the surprise attack on the frontier, and the annihilation of many mobilizing reservists, the battered remnants of the Red Army held Moscow because there simply wasn't enough manpower, rolling stock or trucks available to move war materiel over that much war devastated terrain.

I touched on Stalingrad; it was the Sixth Army that was annihilated there; though there was a mismatch in unit sizes between the Soviet and German Armies. German field armies were similar in size to Soviet fronts (ostensibly their equivalent to army groups) on many occaisions; most Soviet armies, espescially tank armies, were closer to corps size. The tank and mechanized corps that were the backbone of Soviet mobile forces were "brigade buckets" around the same size as a German division.
Costa Fierro wrote:Well I'd hazard a guess (based on my own amateur knowledge) was that the planning wasn't present until the mid-to-late-war period because predominant military thinking at that time was more archaic than what the Germans were utilizing. Kursk was more or less a standard attrition battle to break the German offensive but Operation Bagration was an accurate use of German Blitzkrieg combine arms warfare but on a vastly grander scale.

Although for the most part, there were other inefficiencies in the Soviet Army prior to Kursk that were simultaneously addressed, including inferior weaponry (for the most part anyway) as well as a lack of competent officers and strategic planners thanks to Stalin's purges.

There was a lot of internal conflict in 41 and 42. The men in charge in 41 were part of Stalin's old clique from the Civil War. For the most part, they were artillery men who had successfully suppressed their rivals, who had vague connections to Trotsky during his time as military commissar, and favored tanks and deep battle. Others like Zhukov, Vasilevsky, Konev, etc., had survived the purges and found their star ascendant, though they had obvious problems with educating and training the many relatively green officers who had to step into very big shoes due to the ravaged state of the army, both from lingering effects from the purges as well as the war.

Blitzkrieg is sort of a misnomer; it was something the British press coined; the German military simply called it manuever war, and for them it was an extension of pre-WW1 manuever war doctrine designed to overcome the stalemates that had happened in WW1. The tactical doctrine was simple; breakthrough, getin the enemy's rear, encircle enemy forces, and engage in battles of annihilation with your less mobile infantry forces.

Most of the German Army were foot mobile infantry, with few trucks, mostly relying on horses for logistical support wherever trains couldn't be found. Soviet deep operations was a different beast. Whereas German doctrine was Clausewitzian, the deep operations shunned battles of annihilation; the goal was to induce the enemy to comply with operational objectives by removing the means or will to resist. It's the difference between a noose and a bulldozer. When encirclement was achieved, the Soviets preferred to let enemy concentrations wither under siege than directly reduce them, conserving operational tempo.
Mad hatters in jeans wrote:I would say Stalingrad was the turning point. Oh and wikipedia agrees with me.yay

If I had to pick any one moment where the outcome became clear, it would be Stalingrad. After Stalingrad, there was no question that the Germans could not triumph in the Soviet Union; they didn't have the means to force its surrender, and the population was united behind the project of expelling the invader.

But I disagree that Hitler made a mistake in ordering Sixth Army to hunker down. Had they tried to evacuate or break out during Operation Uranus, they would have left defensible positions and cover against the winter weather for a pell mell retreat across the Steppes. They'd get swept up by Soviet forces, and they wouldn't have the organizational means to meet these attacks effectively. They'd have to abandon equipment and resources that they didn't have the transport capacity to carry, and they might not have had the fuel necessary to even attempt it. Sitting tight and waiting for relief was the wiser choice, but the Soviets also worked very hard to make sure relief couldn't come. The real mistake was trying to keep them supplied via airdrop; it wrecked so much of the Luftwaffe's operational ability, both in transports, bombers and fighters, in a foolhardy attempt. They should have just written Sixth Army off, and focus on keeping the luftwaffe intact to contest air superiority in other sectors.
Genivaria wrote:Well it was hardly Hitler's first military mistake but it was certainly the first of his major blunders that visibly harmed Germany's chances.
Another was his decision to abandon the strategy of trapping entire Soviet armies in Panzer pincers out of impatience, instead he moved to a strategy of attrition which Germany could never win against the Soviets.

OH! And of course the completely idiotic decision to stall the advance on Moscow in favor of splitting a group off to take Stalingrad which would be a political/symbolic victory at best.
And I don't consider the oil fields there to be a valid reason because he'd have a much easier time seizing the fields in the Middle East.

This is another oft quoted mistake that isn't really a mistake.

I think you might be confusing two separate operations here. In 1941, Hitler made the correct decision in overruling his general staff to pause advance on Moscow to take Kiev, and the Ukraine, and destroy the large concentrations of Soviet forces there. The OKH's attempt to push straight on moscow would have left a nearly 1000km flank vulnerable to counterattack by the South-West Front, which could have inflicted severe, perhaps even catastrophic damage on Army Group Center now so thoroughly overextended. Furthermore, Hitler was correct to seek to deny the resources and industry in the area, a sizeable fraction of the Soviet GDP, to the Soviet war effort.

But that's 1941. In 1942, after the defeat in the Battle of Moscow, Hitler returned to his original industrial war strategy. Taking the Caucasus under Fall Blau was meant to further destroy Soviet warmaking, and deny the oil resources there to the Soviet war effort (any ideas of actually using the oil were secondary as well as completely fancifle. They wouldn't be able to exploit them under those conditions.)

It was partly because it was Stalin's city, but the simple fact is that the Volga River is a huge obstacle, and seizing Stalingrad is necessary to maintaining a defensible line as well as pushing beyond it. Without that, they couldn't keep their flanks secure in the drive on Baku. There was at least the elements of strategy here; Moscow was much more heavily garrisoned now, so pushing on Moscow again would be unwise without further crippling the Soviets.) But they underestimated the logistical cost, and greatly underestimate the Soviet's ability to raise new formations and equip them.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:A lot of the options are too late. By then the allies were winning.

At the point that Operation Barbarossa began the Germans were indisputably winning the war in Europe.
And most of the Operation was very successful for the Germans, but they failed in key areas and completely underestimated the Soviet resolve and reserves.

Most of the options are after that.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:16 am

Kursk smashed the german army in the East and paved the way for the advance on Berlin withing 2 years. However I would say the turning point would be as soon as the first Panzer's crossed the Bug River in the Soviet occupied Poland.
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

United States of Atheism
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Atheism » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 am

American entry into the war. If the sleeping giant wasn't awoken sir, then Moscow would of fallen. The commies could not fight against the Nazis, it was a meatgrinder until the soviets ran out of troops. The stupid commies even purged their armies. Tccccchhh, historical revisionists think that the soviets accomplished shit, without Dday they would of lost.
Pros: Atheism, Free Market, Legalization of all drugs, Secularism, Freedom from Religion, Abortions, LGBT Rights, Libertarians, MRAs, Humanism
Anti: Religion, Islam, Liberals, Feminist, BLM, Communists, Fascists, Religion impacting government policy, Riot Games, Blizzard, Emo and Scene Kids

Kisinger
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kisinger » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:29 am

The Battle of Kursk is arguably one of the turning points of the War, more than likely the one to seal the lid on the war in favour of the Allies (at least in Europe).

United States of Atheism wrote:American entry into the war. If the sleeping giant wasn't awoken sir, then Moscow would of fallen.
While the Lend Lease programs did help, Russians holding Moscow was a guarantee, with major troop formations already in the area by the time of the German arrival.

The commies could not fight against the Nazis, it was a meatgrinder until the soviets ran out of troops.
The Soviets could fight against the Germans, and did for four years, I believe you are looking for the term 'win' because any nation can fight but few know how to or can win one. Soviets never ran out of troops, in fact they had enough troops to go around and only needed equipment(only during the early to mid stages of the war).

The stupid commies even purged their armies.
That was before the war when the Great Purge happened, unless you mean Soviet Generals getting executed for incompetence or being sent off to Gulags in Siberia for the same 'offense'

Tccccchhh, historical revisionists think that the soviets accomplished shit, without Dday they would of lost.
Soviets accomplished quite a bit by the time of D-Day, they had acquired strategic initiative, pushed the Germans out of the Soviet Union proper and were well on their way to pushing the Germans all the way to Berlin(which they did the following year and pushed farther in fact).
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don't you dare take my other 75% orgasm. I'm a greedy womyn, influenced by the cold hard erection of the patriarchy.

"First rule of leadership: everything is your fault." ~ Bug's Life

New Raffica
Envoy

Founded: Nov 15, 2013

Postby New Raffica » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:32 am

European Theatre: Battle of Stalingrad. It's not really a strategic turning point per say, but a moral turning point. This showed that the Soviets were not ready to fall as everyone had thought they would. The people began to believe in themselves again, and believed that the German war machine could be stopped. From a German point of view, this was devastating in the fact that the war would never be the same for them following this defeat.

Pacific Theatre: U.S entry into the war. This one is kinda obvious. Japan had been dominating the Pacific until the States joined. Japan had severely underestimated the U.S, and paid for it.

Also I don't know how the lend-lease really counts as a "turning point" considering it went on for the whole war
Last edited by New Raffica on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of Icarus

New Raffica
Envoy

Founded: Nov 15, 2013

Postby New Raffica » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:33 am

United States of Atheism wrote: Tccccchhh, historical revisionists think that the soviets accomplished shit, without Dday they would of lost.

I don't know where you're getting your facts from, the Soviets accomplished quite a lot in fact.
Proud member of Icarus

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General