NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion in Texas Fully Legal Again

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Look. Women are not 'sluts' just because they got pregnant any more than some guy is a 'stud' for having knocked 'em up. So can we kindly leave off all that bullshit. Yes, I know, aside from the one serious post I made, that I've been silly, but really ... some of you are acting ridiculously with the namecalling and claims that aren't backed up with anything more than 'because I believe it to be so'.

I never saw myself as some 'incubator', nor my babies at any stage being 'parasites', so I'm not a great choice to argue a woman's standpoint in all of this - simply /my/ standpoint. And yes, it is rather personal. Like I said before, I cannot support it. But as Gallo has rather succinctly pointed out, neither can I say another woman does not have the right to make those choices herself. She'll have to live with those choices, after all. I won't. There is a whole lot more to this than simply who has what organs and at what point does one consider a fetus another 'life' - and that right there can be complex enough on its own.

You can't argue from a point of feelings or emotions. You have to go from a legality stance. If you cannot have proof that a fetus is capable of making those choices, communicating those choices, or even being considered another sentient life as opposed to a group of cells (see back to complex argument bit there - this one's a doozy), then you can't really say it has any 'rights'. Whereas the woman does have certain rights, whether one likes it, approves of it, or not. One cannot force a person to donate an organ, blood, or to receive a transplant, or other life-saving measures if they are clearly in their right mind, and of an age they can consent. You cannot force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term, either. Not legally. We aren't talking about what you think is right, or feel ought to be done. What's at issue is what is legal, and what is not.

It's legal for consenting adults to have sex. It's legal for them to use contraceptives. It's legal for them to get pregnant. It's legal for them to choose to abort the pregnancy, or carry to term. It's legal to give up parental rights after birth. It is not legal to rape someone and purposefully get them pregnant. It is not legal to coerce or force a person to abort, OR to carry to term. It is not legal to kill a baby after live delivery.

Nowhere do any of those things involve feelings or emotions or calls to a higher authority, or a religious backing. You don't have to like it or approve of it. Neither do I. But those are, unless I'm greatly mistaken, fairly standard facts. Some of y'all may need to check yourselves, just a bit before digging those holes any deeper, neh?

I am not arguing the legality of abortion, I'm arguing the morality behind it. I don't really care whether it's legal or not, because I can't change that. All I can do is demonstrate why one may think, based on morality, that it shouldn't be.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

Pro: Human Decency, Books, Movies, The X-Files, Art, Science, Liberty, Happiness, and Astronomy.
Anti: Abortion (Exceptions to this), U.N., E.U., N.A.T.O., The Walking Dead, Extremism, Idiocy (Feminism), and Doubt.

I'm a 16-year-old Caucasian male from Texas. I'm a non-denominational Christian. INFJ personality type. Brownish-blonde hair, blue eyes. I love to read. Politically annoyed. Possible insomniac. Fear of doctors. I hate physical interaction, unless it's with someone I know pretty well. I love rainy days and clear nights. That's about it.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 pm

The Texan Union wrote:I am not arguing the legality of abortion, I'm arguing the morality behind it. I don't really care whether it's legal or not, because I can't change that. All I can do is demonstrate why one may think, based on morality, that it shouldn't be.

Well then, given this thread is based on the LEGALITY of it, your arguments, one might say, have no place here ... *shrugs eloquently*

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:I am not offended - just frustrated.

You want to give the fetus a special right that grown people do not have - namely, the right to use another person's body against their will if they will lose their life without it. This is a factual statement about your position.

Own it. There's nothing wrong with you owning a position you've taken.

Then try to think about why the fetus should have a right that adults, adolescents, children, hell, even babies do not have. Come up with reasoning why that's the case. Think about it. I'll be here.

I've clarified my points time, and time again. I do not shrink from defending my positions. I remain opposed to abortion if it does not meet the definitions that I supplied earlier. And i have always maintained the difference between the unborn and between the born. Between the capability of consent, and the inability to consent. That is what I have said, and that is where I stand.

I'm not sure how the capability of consent of the recipient matters. The recipient of an organ donation will almost always consent, particularly if they will die without it.

How does the fact that the recipient can consent affect the consent of the donor person?

Even so, babies, children, and adolescents under the age of majority do not have the capability to legally consent. Why can't we strap down random adults and take organs for those underage people who can't consent?

Incidentally, the comparison goes

Fetus is equivalent to the organ recipient

The Pregnant woman is equivalent to the donor
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:36 pm

The Texan Union wrote:
Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Look. Women are not 'sluts' just because they got pregnant any more than some guy is a 'stud' for having knocked 'em up. So can we kindly leave off all that bullshit. Yes, I know, aside from the one serious post I made, that I've been silly, but really ... some of you are acting ridiculously with the namecalling and claims that aren't backed up with anything more than 'because I believe it to be so'.

I never saw myself as some 'incubator', nor my babies at any stage being 'parasites', so I'm not a great choice to argue a woman's standpoint in all of this - simply /my/ standpoint. And yes, it is rather personal. Like I said before, I cannot support it. But as Gallo has rather succinctly pointed out, neither can I say another woman does not have the right to make those choices herself. She'll have to live with those choices, after all. I won't. There is a whole lot more to this than simply who has what organs and at what point does one consider a fetus another 'life' - and that right there can be complex enough on its own.

You can't argue from a point of feelings or emotions. You have to go from a legality stance. If you cannot have proof that a fetus is capable of making those choices, communicating those choices, or even being considered another sentient life as opposed to a group of cells (see back to complex argument bit there - this one's a doozy), then you can't really say it has any 'rights'. Whereas the woman does have certain rights, whether one likes it, approves of it, or not. One cannot force a person to donate an organ, blood, or to receive a transplant, or other life-saving measures if they are clearly in their right mind, and of an age they can consent. You cannot force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term, either. Not legally. We aren't talking about what you think is right, or feel ought to be done. What's at issue is what is legal, and what is not.

It's legal for consenting adults to have sex. It's legal for them to use contraceptives. It's legal for them to get pregnant. It's legal for them to choose to abort the pregnancy, or carry to term. It's legal to give up parental rights after birth. It is not legal to rape someone and purposefully get them pregnant. It is not legal to coerce or force a person to abort, OR to carry to term. It is not legal to kill a baby after live delivery.

Nowhere do any of those things involve feelings or emotions or calls to a higher authority, or a religious backing. You don't have to like it or approve of it. Neither do I. But those are, unless I'm greatly mistaken, fairly standard facts. Some of y'all may need to check yourselves, just a bit before digging those holes any deeper, neh?

I am not arguing the legality of abortion, I'm arguing the morality behind it. I don't really care whether it's legal or not, because I can't change that. All I can do is demonstrate why one may think, based on morality, that it shouldn't be.

Abortion is fully moral. (Assuming you agree in suicide to end unreasonable pain...)
Nweh.
I'm debatably alive.
Don't do anxiety, existential depression, or not eating. Basically don't be me.
Welp.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:37 pm

The Texan Union wrote:

Your morals are not universal.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:39 pm

Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena wrote:Abortion is fully moral. (Assuming you agree in suicide to end unreasonable pain...)

Your front is getting more than a little tired here, and starting to appear as less argument and more ... bait. Just a heads up. Since you can in no way prove the pain or lack thereof on the part of the fetus, your argument has no solid base to stand on. Sorry. You're projecting your own experiences onto others at best, and that is never terribly healthy.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:40 pm

The Texan Union wrote:You make me want to kill myself.
The Texan Union wrote:You are literally using indirect quotes pulled out of context in order to support an underlying argument that I'm some sort of sexist asshole! Honestly, you're just a troll, fuck off.

The Texan Union: *** 1-day ban for baiting, trollnaming, and flaming. ***

Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena wrote:Oh, I'm never going to commit suicide, i'd feel to guilty.
Anyways, WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF LOVE, PEON. Still waiting.

Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena: Unnecessary. Knock it off.

Friendly reminder: the topic of this thread directly relates to the Supreme Court ruling with regards to Texas' law, not abortion in general, for which another thread exists.
Last edited by Kyrusia on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:41 pm

The Texan Union wrote:I am not arguing the legality of abortion, I'm arguing the morality behind it. I don't really care whether it's legal or not, because I can't change that. All I can do is demonstrate why one may think, based on morality, that it shouldn't be.

Your morality is based on your self-interests as a person.

Like I said before, your interests are not my interests. We mutually do not care about each other's interests, so there is no reason for you to tell me "You're doing something I don't approve of, you damn philistine, repent!" anymore than I can.

You got your own set of morals which further your interests, and I got my set of morals which further my interests. Your interest in making people see why abortions are immoral and therefore shouldn't be legal contradicts my self-interests to not see women perform back-alley abortions on themselves because a society which lets the destitute women of their country, who happen to end up pregnant, perform something so dangerous on themselves is not a society I'd want to say I condone.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Upon further review, I think we'll just go ahead and lock this thread.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General