NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion in Texas Fully Legal Again

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Jaclean empire wrote:Abortion is only OK if the mother was raped or the baby will kill her. Other than that it's just people being selfish and not willing to admit that if you have sex you are both consenting to the possibility that you could procreate.

Which is why when a skydiver breaks his leg, we refuse to treat him.

He accepted the possibility of an injury by engaging in the sport.

Unless you're equating pregnancy to an injury, this analogy is entirely ridiculous.
And even then its entirely ridiculous.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Former Republican. Liberal Internationalist. Pick your battles.

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Texan Union wrote:Well I can't put it into simpler terms than this:

Sex should be an act of love rather than lust.

Does that make sense?

I would argue there's nothing wrong with either, but even accepting (for the moment) sex should ONLY be an act of love, I don't see how choosing not to have children makes your partner a mindless object (in your mind).

I didn't say that not wanting to have children did that, I said lust did. Pay attention, please. Also, contraceptives are a viable option.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

Pro: Human Decency, Books, Movies, The X-Files, Art, Science, Liberty, Happiness, and Astronomy.
Anti: Abortion (Exceptions to this), U.N., E.U., N.A.T.O., The Walking Dead, Extremism, Idiocy (Feminism), and Doubt.

I'm a 16-year-old Caucasian male from Texas. I'm a non-denominational Christian. INFJ personality type. Brownish-blonde hair, blue eyes. I love to read. Politically annoyed. Possible insomniac. Fear of doctors. I hate physical interaction, unless it's with someone I know pretty well. I love rainy days and clear nights. That's about it.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 pm

The Texan Union wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
You're making the erroneous assumption that we're not.

We look after our own self-interests more than you think. With all due respect, I don't give a fuck about your self-interests, nor do you give a shit about my self-interests, why should you be the arbiter of what someone else's best interests are? Why is it in a woman's self-interests not to have sex, or an abortion?

No, actually, I didn't.

Are you suggesting that this thread is pointless? If so, we all know that and quite clearly choose to participate anyway.

No, I am suggesting that, at the end of the day, you realistically couldn't care less about my self-interests. You don't. You don't know me. You might say right now that you do, but in reality you don't even know me.

I am not saying that to say "this thread is pointless", but to lead up to the question: what makes you better suited to know a woman's self-interests? And why should a woman not have sex, or an abortion, just because you say so?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Jaclean Empire
Minister

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jaclean Empire » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Jaclean empire wrote:Abortion is only OK if the mother was raped or the baby will kill her. Other than that it's just people being selfish and not willing to admit that if you have sex you are both consenting to the possibility that you could procreate.

Which is why when a skydiver breaks his leg, we refuse to treat him.

It's also why we don't amputate the leg.
A limited Monarchy with high constitutional and civil rights and little economic regulation

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:03 pm

The Texan Union wrote:
Galloism wrote:I would argue there's nothing wrong with either, but even accepting (for the moment) sex should ONLY be an act of love, I don't see how choosing not to have children makes your partner a mindless object (in your mind).

I didn't say that not wanting to have children did that, I said lust did. Pay attention, please. Also, contraceptives are a viable option.

Until contraceptives work 100% of the time and never fail, abortion needs to be an alternative last-ditch effort, incase unwanted pregnancy occurs anyways.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:03 pm

The Texan Union wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Lust is a thing, it's how we're attracted to our partners physically. You might say "oh, looks don't matter. I will love a woman!" Well, let me ask you this, would you consider dating a woman who you considered ugly even though they're nice people?

Yes, I would.

Why would you choose to date someone who you have no physical attraction to even though they're nice people over, say, a woman who you have a physical attraction to AND they're nice people?
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 pm

Incase someone missed it.

The V O I D wrote:

Consent to sex is never, has never, and will never be consent to pregnancy.

That's like saying she can't revoke consent, and that it isn't rape if she decides she doesn't want to have sex anymore. And that she is obligated to 'let the man finish.'

Laurasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Laurasia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 pm

The V O I D wrote:

That's like saying she can't revoke consent, and that it isn't rape if she decides she doesn't want to have sex anymore. And that she is obligated to 'let the man finish.'

What is meant by their quote, Void, is that someone has to acknowledge the possibility of becoming pregnant. They have to at least understand what pregnancy is, and what acts lead to it. Sexual intercourse traditionally has been for procreation, and the basic use of it has not altered, in spite of all the cultural and the social changes which we have undergone.
The Galactic Empire of Laurasia
Emperor: Lysimachus II
FT nation (or at least trying)
Originally the nations of Royal Calathonia and Bristain & Ireland: on this game since August 29, 2010

Factbook: http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Laurasian_Empire

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:06 pm

Laurasia wrote:Ending abortion would be giving every individual unborn the change to become one of the born, and to live a productive, fulfilling life as a citizen of this Republic. The life to liberty, property, and due process of law extends to all who are considered, by the definitions of science, to be life-forms.

Laurasia wrote:Organ donations, for their part, are done between consenting adults. There is a system for the organization of such donations, and defined procedures on how such donations can be carried out. The genesis of this is that you cannot say: "Well, since fetuses can't be aborted, then that means we can put someone down, or we can extract something from them, that they might die." Again, understand that abortions are unlawful if they are not carried out to save the mother's life or preserve her essential health and instead deny life to one who has not imposed harm on her or anyone else, by any means except as to have been conceived, bred, and born; organ donations are unlawful if they carried out in such a manner that one person's life is forfeit for the benefit of another, thereby denying them their essential right to life.

You're missing the point. We're not talking about organ donations where the donor dies, but where the donor lives. Like a kidney, or piece of the liver, or something along those lines. You're weighing right to life of a person who will die without an organ donation (about 20 people die per day waiting for organs that never arrive) against the right to bodily sovereignty of a person who will not die if they give an organ. We're not talking about taking a living person, chopping them up into pieces, and saving 20 other lives. We're talking about taking a living person, removing one of their kidneys against their will for someone else, then sending them on their way. It would actually be less inconvenience and hazard than pregnancy, although it's a monstrous concept.

If you are going to extend the right of one person to use the body of another against their will as long as it doesn't kill that person, forced organ, blood, and tissue donations are the only logical outcome of that argument.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:06 pm

The Texan Union wrote:Yes, I would.

Why would you choose to date someone who you have no physical attraction to even though they're nice people?

I think the validity of the entire idea of dating someone whom you have no physical attraction to is meant for another thread.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Is the Hamburglar an insurrectionary anarchist? One who martyrs himself through the propaganda of the deed?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:06 pm

Laurasia wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

What is meant by their quote, Void, is that someone has to acknowledge the possibility of becoming pregnant. They have to at least understand what pregnancy is, and what acts lead to it. Sexual intercourse traditionally has been for procreation, and the basic use of it has not altered, in spite of all the cultural and the social changes which we have undergone.

Sex has traditionally been for procreation as much as hammers have traditionally been to nail stuff to a wall.

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:06 pm

The Texan Union wrote:No, actually, I didn't.

Are you suggesting that this thread is pointless? If so, we all know that and quite clearly choose to participate anyway.

No, I am suggesting that, at the end of the day, you realistically couldn't care less about my self-interests. You don't. You don't know me. You might say right now that you do, but in reality you don't even know me.

I am not saying that to say "this thread is pointless", but to lead up to the question: what makes you better suited to know a woman's self-interests? And why should a woman not have sex, or an abortion, just because you say so?

Why should anyone follow any law because anyone says so? #Anarchy
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

Pro: Human Decency, Books, Movies, The X-Files, Art, Science, Liberty, Happiness, and Astronomy.
Anti: Abortion (Exceptions to this), U.N., E.U., N.A.T.O., The Walking Dead, Extremism, Idiocy (Feminism), and Doubt.

I'm a 16-year-old Caucasian male from Texas. I'm a non-denominational Christian. INFJ personality type. Brownish-blonde hair, blue eyes. I love to read. Politically annoyed. Possible insomniac. Fear of doctors. I hate physical interaction, unless it's with someone I know pretty well. I love rainy days and clear nights. That's about it.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:07 pm

The Jaclean empire wrote:
Galloism wrote:Which is why when a skydiver breaks his leg, we refuse to treat him.

It's also why we don't amputate the leg.

Well, that kind of depends on the circumstances. There are occasions when we do (typically when gangrene is involved and we can't beat it back).

However, amputating the leg harms the grown person. Abortion doesn't harm the grown portion (not any more than pregnancy does, anyway).
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:07 pm

Laurasia wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

Recreational Sex vs Procreational Sex. Recreational sex is taking every precaution you can to prevent pregnancy and go through intercourse, consenting to sex but not consenting to being pregnant; so, logically, if you get pregnant, you didn't consent to that in the first place. Get the fetus removed if you still do not consent. Procreational sex is having sex with full intent of being pregnant, and continued insistence and consent to pregnancy throughout the pregnancy until the fetus is carried to term.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:07 pm

The Texan Union wrote:
Galloism wrote:I would argue there's nothing wrong with either, but even accepting (for the moment) sex should ONLY be an act of love, I don't see how choosing not to have children makes your partner a mindless object (in your mind).

Those lust-inducing contraceptives are viable?

Then why aren't lust-inducing abortions?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 pm

The Texan Union wrote:

Why should anyone follow any law because anyone says so? #Anarchy

Yes, because clearly following one's self-interests follows crime; naturally, this is the most rational way to look at my post instead of engaging with the question. :roll:

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 pm

The Texan Union wrote:Yes, I would.

Why would you choose to date someone who you have no physical attraction to even though they're nice people over, say, a woman who you have a physical attraction to AND they're nice people?

Here's a funny idea:

Maybe I love her, and enjoy her for the person she is.
-Thomas Jefferson

Vaquas
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vaquas » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Texan Union wrote:I didn't say that not wanting to have children did that, I said lust did. Pay attention, please. Also, contraceptives are a viable option.

Those lust-inducing contraceptives are viable?

Then why aren't lust-inducing abortions?

Likely because the fetus isn't developing when contraceptives are used.
Democratic Nominee 2024

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Laurasia wrote:Sexual intercourse traditionally has been for procreation,

Incidentally, this hasn't been true for at least a few thousand years.

Records of contraceptives go back to the Kahun Papyrus, which is from around 1850 BCE in ancient Egypt.

Interesting stuff
Last edited by Galloism on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm

Vaquas wrote:
Why would you choose to date someone who you have no physical attraction to even though they're nice people?

I think the validity of the entire idea of dating someone whom you have no physical attraction to is meant for another thread.

Well, see, the point I am trying to make is not that either one is valid, contrary to the discussion.

What I am suggesting is that physical attraction is not a bad thing. Just because you have physical attraction and sexual desire for your partner doesn't make you a bad person.

Laurasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Laurasia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Galloism wrote:
Laurasia wrote:Ending abortion would be giving every individual unborn the change to become one of the born, and to live a productive, fulfilling life as a citizen of this Republic. The life to liberty, property, and due process of law extends to all who are considered, by the definitions of science, to be life-forms.

Laurasia wrote:Organ donations, for their part, are done between consenting adults. There is a system for the organization of such donations, and defined procedures on how such donations can be carried out. The genesis of this is that you cannot say: "Well, since fetuses can't be aborted, then that means we can put someone down, or we can extract something from them, that they might die." Again, understand that abortions are unlawful if they are not carried out to save the mother's life or preserve her essential health and instead deny life to one who has not imposed harm on her or anyone else, by any means except as to have been conceived, bred, and born; organ donations are unlawful if they carried out in such a manner that one person's life is forfeit for the benefit of another, thereby denying them their essential right to life.

You're missing the point. We're not talking about organ donations where the donor dies, but where the donor lives. Like a kidney, or piece of the liver, or something along those lines. You're weighing right to life of a person who will die without an organ donation (about 20 people die per day waiting for organs that never arrive) against the right to bodily sovereignty of a person who will not die if they give an organ. We're not talking about taking a living person, chopping them up into pieces, and saving 20 other lives. We're talking about taking a living person, removing one of their kidneys against their will for someone else, then sending them on their way. It would actually be less inconvenience and hazard than pregnancy, although it's a monstrous concept.

If you are going to extend the right of one person to use the body of another against their will as long as it doesn't kill that person, forced organ, blood, and tissue donations are the only logical outcome of that argument.

Again, I am taking a narrow definition of this. I am relating this definition to abortion specifically. A woman should not be permitted to terminate her pregnancy, unless if: 1) The child places her physical and mental health in extreme jeopardy, or is such that the woman will lose her life unless if she aborts 2) The child is so deformed that it would not be able to lead a fulfilling, productive life outside of the womb 3) If the child was conceived by rape, or otherwise against the mother's will through sexual assault (not through consensual intercourse) and 4) If the child was conceived by incest, or conceived when the mother is absolutely, and I mean absolutely, incapable herself of taking care of the child (because of her own physical or mental disabilities). Anything that does not fall under one of these definitions should not be permitted. With organ donations, no living person should be deprived of something which they would need for life unless if they give their express consent. One day, there will be technology that will allow for organ development and cures without the need for donations. Until then, all such cases must be handled that both the donor and the recipient receive full protection of their own lives, and their own persons, and are given the opportunity to be fully aware of what they are doing, and how.
The Galactic Empire of Laurasia
Emperor: Lysimachus II
FT nation (or at least trying)
Originally the nations of Royal Calathonia and Bristain & Ireland: on this game since August 29, 2010

Factbook: http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Laurasian_Empire

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 pm

The Texan Union wrote:

Here's a funny idea:

Yes, but when choosing to date someone you don't even love her. You're assuming that, upon dating, you should already have feelings of romantic love towards that person and that people spend long periods of time, years even, knowing one another.

That's not how 90% of dating works.

Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 pm

The Texan Union wrote:

Here's a funny idea:

LOVE IS PHYSICAL ATTRACTION! (and a social construct, but not going there)
Enjoying someone for the person they are is not love. That is friendship.
Nweh.
I'm debatably alive.
Don't do anxiety, existential depression, or not eating. Basically don't be me.
Welp.

Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Again, I am taking a narrow definition of this. I am relating this definition to abortion specifically. A woman should not be permitted to terminate her pregnancy, unless if: 1) The child places her physical and mental health in extreme jeopardy, or is such that the woman will lose her life unless if she aborts 2) The child is so deformed that it would not be able to lead a fulfilling, productive life outside of the womb 3) If the child was conceived by rape, or otherwise against the mother's will through sexual assault (not through consensual intercourse) and 4) If the child was conceived by incest, or conceived when the mother is absolutely, and I mean absolutely, incapable herself of taking care of the child (because of her own physical or mental disabilities). Anything that does not fall under one of these definitions should not be permitted. With organ donations, no living person should be deprived of something which they would need for life unless if they give their express consent. One day, there will be technology that will allow for organ development and cures without the need for donations. Until then, all such cases must be handled that both the donor and the recipient receive full protection of their own lives, and their own persons, and are given the opportunity to be fully aware of what they are doing, and how.

So you want the child to expirience a slow, painful, torturing walk into oblivion.

Would you say a quick death or a slow, painful, death that may cause others to feel more pain is better?
Nweh.
I'm debatably alive.
Don't do anxiety, existential depression, or not eating. Basically don't be me.
Welp.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Laurasia wrote:
Galloism wrote:

You are taking an absolutely hypocritical definition of this. It's not "narrow". It's hypocritical.

And you don't "need" both your kidneys to live. You don't "need" your entire liver to live (in fact, you only need about 30% of it, on average). Your statement that "no living person should be deprived of something which they would need for life" would allow forced organ donations, forced blood donations, and forced kidney donations. In fact, your notion that one person's life can trump another person's bodily autonomy demands it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General