NATION

PASSWORD

The left does not hold any sort of moral high ground.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valystria
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Moschetia wrote:Trump himself is the one who's come closest to advocating violence against opponents.

And yet he hasn't. There goes the validity of your assertion.

It's great how you can't say why or how Trump is bad. You're just asserting it's entirely justified for leftists to attack Trump on the grounds that they believe Trump "lacks virtue" and is "illiberal". It's this rampantly widespread attitude that "lacks virtue" and is "illiberal".

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
Moschetia wrote:They have the moral high ground because Trump has no virtue.

I believe it's actually called 'stoopoing to his level.'

It's not Trump supporters showing up to violently crash Sanders and Hillary rallies or run Trump supporters off the streets.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Caninope wrote:The defense of the right to freedom of assembly is not a justification for battery under Florida law. There is no such defense under Florida Statue 748.03. As noted here, possible defenses include: self-defense, defense of others, defense of property, and mutual combat. None are particularly apt in this case.

Several of the others do have a defense of others rationale, as the link I posted above shows.

Also the edit:
It's also qualitatively different, and you know it as well as I do. The intent to injure is lacking, and were these incidents judged by an impartial judge, the ones with intent and premeditated planning to assault, who actively seeks out the victims, would be deemed worse.

The sides aren't equivalent, even if you don't accept the Trump supporters legal arguments for why what they do isn't assault.

The Trump supporters also use a minimal amount of force in these incidents.

I responded to the edit.

And once again, the minimal amount of force would be no force at all.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Valystria wrote:It's not Trump supporters showing up to violently crash Sanders and Hillary rallies or run Trump supporters off the streets.

No, I'm saying you can't claim a moral highground by responding to encouraging violence by actually committing violence.
Unreachable.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Benuty wrote:Someones dangerously close to getting their illuninati membership revoked, and a visit from black helicopters.

I have seen the threads of fate and the hand that pulls.

The hand tells me to tell you to buy more of Ron Paul's gold.
Unreachable.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Caninope wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Several of the others do have a defense of others rationale, as the link I posted above shows.

Also the edit:

The Trump supporters also use a minimal amount of force in these incidents.

I responded to the edit.

So you've essentially conceded that the actions aren't equivalent and are arguing instead that Trump supporters actions technically constitute assault.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Valystria wrote:It's not Trump supporters showing up to violently crash Sanders and Hillary rallies or run Trump supporters off the streets.

No, I'm saying you can't claim a moral highground by responding to encouraging violence by actually committing violence.

That would be applicable if Trump had encouraged violence... in this case the leftist opposition against Trump uses a mythical fabrication to justify violence.

Great Feng
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Valystria wrote:
Moschetia wrote:Trump himself is the one who's come closest to advocating violence against opponents.

1: And yet he hasn't. There goes the validity of your assertion.

It's great how you can't say why or how Trump is bad. You're just asserting it's entirely justified for leftists to attack Trump on the grounds that they believe Trump "lacks virtue" and is "illiberal". It's this rampantly widespread attitude that "lacks virtue" and is "illiberal".

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:I believe it's actually called 'stoopoing to his level.'

2: It's not Trump supporters showing up to violently crash Sanders and Hillary rallies or run Trump supporters off the streets.

1: Sources?
2: That's not necessarily due to a "rabid left", though that does contribute. That's because many believe Trump is Fascist and/or will cause WW3, and they're willing to be violent and undemocratic to stop it and save their precious "democracy". They may be wrong, but they're defending what they believe is their country. Granted I still disapprove of it, but I at least understand the reasons behind them, and the reasoning is sound(Preventing a guy that'll cause WW3 from gaining power by shutting him down), though they shouldn't do it anyway out of moral decency and you don't know for sure that he'll cause WW3 or America's collapse.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Caninope wrote:I responded to the edit.

So you've essentially conceded that the actions aren't equivalent and are arguing instead that Trump supporters actions technically constitute assault.

No, I still hold the line that it is definitely misdemeanor battery and possibly assault.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Valystria wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:No, I'm saying you can't claim a moral highground by responding to encouraging violence by actually committing violence.

That would be applicable if Trump had encouraged violence... in this case the leftist opposition against Trump uses a mythical fabrication to justify violence.

I mean, he it is factual that he said he'd defend someone in court for someone assaulting someone who might throw rotten tomatoes at him or something.

So there's that.

You and I understand that he was joking/verbally shitposting but the media has a standing rule that everything a public figure says is to be taken literally, and joe everyman simply isn't wise enough to know the difference.
Unreachable.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Caninope wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

No, I still hold the line that it is definitely misdemeanor battery and possibly assault.

Okay, I can see how someone could argue that.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Valystria wrote:That would be applicable if Trump had encouraged violence... in this case the leftist opposition against Trump uses a mythical fabrication to justify violence.

I mean, he it is factual that he said he'd defend someone in court for someone assaulting someone who might throw rotten tomatoes at him or something.

So there's that.

You and I understand that he was joking/verbally shitposting but the media has a standing rule that everything a public figure says is to be taken literally, and joe everyman simply isn't wise enough to know the difference.

Offering to pay someones legal defenses is not an incitement to violence.
Ostro.MOV

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Valystria wrote:

Eh? Actually he has. Simply offering to pay anothers legal bills for assault is pretty much advocating it.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/1000000 ... lence.html
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:I mean, he it is factual that he said he'd defend someone in court for someone assaulting someone who might throw rotten tomatoes at him or something.

So there's that.

But it can easily be interpreted as a blank check.

e: for mayhem, not a literal blank check.
Last edited by Nirvash Type TheEND on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unreachable.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:I mean, he it is factual that he said he'd defend someone in court for someone assaulting someone who might throw rotten tomatoes at him or something.

So there's that.

Actually it is.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Moschetia
Attaché

Founded: May 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Moschetia » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Moschetia wrote:They have the moral high ground because Trump has no virtue.

I believe it's actually called 'stoopoing to his level.'

Demonizing Trump isn't stooping to his level because he's an illiberal demagogue. Supporting violence against Trump and his friends is stooping to his level, but the entire left has not endorsed that, which is why your argument doesn't hold water.

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Valystria wrote:1: And yet he hasn't. There goes the validity of your assertion.

2: It's not Trump supporters showing up to violently crash Sanders and Hillary rallies or run Trump supporters off the streets.

2: That's not necessarily due to a "rabid left", though that does contribute. That's because many believe Trump is Fascist and/or will cause WW3, and they're willing to be violent and undemocratic to stop it and save their precious "democracy". They may be wrong, but they're defending what they believe is their country. Granted I still disapprove of it, but I at least understand the reasons behind them, and the reasoning is sound(Preventing a guy that'll cause WW3 from gaining power by shutting him down), though they shouldn't do it anyway out of moral decency and you don't know for sure that he'll cause WW3 or America's collapse.

You want a source that Trump hasn't come close to encouraging violence? Do you know what the burden of proof is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

In epistemology, the burden of proof (Latin: onus probandi (shorthand for Onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit, non ei qui negat)) is the obligation on a party in a dispute to provide sufficient warrant for their position.

You're promoting the assertion that Trump has come close to encouraging violence. Instead of providing evidence for that assertion, you're demanding evidence be provided that Trump hasn't come close to encouraging violence. You want a lack of evidence demonstrating the lack of Trump's incitements to violence to be presented as evidence against your lack of evidence?

The burden of proof is on you. Demonstrate Trump has come close to inciting violence instead of demanding everyone else to prove Trump hasn't done that. That is not how the burden of proof functions.

Valystria wrote:That would be applicable if Trump had encouraged violence... in this case the leftist opposition against Trump uses a mythical fabrication to justify violence.

So there's that.

This is the incident you are referring to.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/272622-sanders-trump-should-take-responsibility-for-violence-at-rallies

Trump's events are frequently interrupted by protesters; at one event, Trump told the crowd to "knock the crap out of" protesters allegedly planning to throw tomatoes, adding "I'll pay the legal fees."

Note that it was not directed at a mere political opponent. It is directed towards violent protesters who were disrupting a Trump event by throwing projectiles at event participants. Trump supporters have a right to defend their rallies. Defending their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and freedom of assembly is entirely acceptable and appropriate.
Last edited by Valystria on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Moschetia wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:I believe it's actually called 'stoopoing to his level.'

Demonizing Trump isn't stooping to his level because he's an illiberal demagogue. Supporting violence against Trump and his friends is stooping to his level, but the entire left has not endorsed that, which is why your argument doesn't hold water.

You sure like those buzzwords don't you?
Unreachable.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 pm

You know, when Hillary herself endorses violence as a viable action, as Trump already did, you may have a point.

Yes, some people are violent regardless of political persuasion. This is not news.

What IS news is that Trump has already endorsed violence, and he's a presumptive nominee.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:40 pm

How many rallies have Trump supporters attacked for being Hillary/Bernie supporters.

Because saying something and doing it are two different things.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Great Feng
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Valystria wrote:
Great Feng wrote:

You want a source that Trump hasn't come close to encouraging violence? Do you know what the burden of proof is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

In epistemology, the burden of proof (Latin: onus probandi (shorthand for Onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit, non ei qui negat)) is the obligation on a party in a dispute to provide sufficient warrant for their position.

You're promoting the assertion that Trump has come close to encouraging violence. Instead of providing evidence for that assertion, you're demanding evidence be provided that Trump hasn't come close to encouraging violence. You want a lack of evidence demonstrating the lack of Trump's incitements to violence to be presented as evidence against your lack of evidence?

The burden of proof is on you. Demonstrate Trump has come close to inciting violence instead of demanding everyone else to prove Trump hasn't done that. That is not how the burden of proof functions.

So there's that.

This is the incident you are referring to.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/272622-sanders-trump-should-take-responsibility-for-violence-at-rallies

Trump's events are frequently interrupted by protesters; at one event, Trump told the crowd to "knock the crap out of" protesters allegedly planning to throw tomatoes, adding "I'll pay the legal fees."

Note that it was not directed at a mere political opponent. It is directed towards violent protesters who were disrupting a Trump event by throwing projectiles at event participants. Trump supporters have a right to defend their rallies. Defending their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and freedom of assembly is entirely acceptable and appropriate.

Actually I just asked this guy in this other thread to give me some evidence of Trump inciting violence.
So I'm not being biased.
Though admittedly I feel stupid now, as I realize I did kinda fuck up there.
So ignore #1, but reply to #2.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Galloism wrote:You know, when Hillary herself endorses violence as a viable action, as Trump already did, you may have a point.

Yes, some people are violent regardless of political persuasion. This is not news.

What IS news is that Trump has already endorsed violence, and he's a presumptive nominee.

A movement is more than its leader.
Unreachable.

Valystria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:41 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Valystria wrote:And yet he hasn't. There goes the validity of your assertion.

Eh? Actually he has. Simply offering to pay anothers legal bills for assault is pretty much advocating it.

That is a false conflation. Offering to pay someone's legal bills is not offering to pay them to do something. Come up with an actual advocacy for violence.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Valystria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

That is a false conflation. Offering to pay someone's legal bills is not offering to pay them to do something. Come up with an actual advocacy for violence.

*shugs* You can split hairs all you like. You didn't even watch the video eh? A little more then that one incident.

Moschetia
Attaché

Founded: May 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Moschetia » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Valystria wrote:

And yet I said "Trump himself is the one who's come closest to advocating violence against opponents" which he certainly has.

America is the prime representative for liberal democracy. Trump, if you haven't noticed, is illiberal. He does not represent our values, and must be shamed.

His demagoguery and lack of virtue otherwise is pretty easy to spot.
Last edited by Moschetia on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Galloism wrote:You know, when Hillary herself endorses violence as a viable action, as Trump already did, you may have a point.

A movement is more than its leader.

Indeed, but when the leader endorses violence, it says a lot more about the movement than a few unaffiliated nutbags throwing a hissy fit.

For example:

Let's say an intern at Microsoft commits wire fraud. That speaks badly of him. Does it speak badly of Microsoft? Maybe a little. Might mean that their hiring practices need tweaking.

What does it say when the CEO at Microsoft commits wire fraud?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General