NATION

PASSWORD

President Barack Obama: The Worst? The Best? In between?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri May 20, 2016 11:00 pm

USS Donald Trump wrote:
Sack Jackpot Winners wrote:1. You're dealing with the leader of the free world (for now). "Try" doesn't mean jack squat. And adding long term debt doesn't count as cutting the deficit.
2. Correct. It was poorly handled, especially at the finish.
3. Really? Cause now I'm the only one in my family with decent insurance and that's cause university pays for it. Eight years ago we could actually go to the doctor and have ice cream in the same week.
4. You're flag is the USS Stark after it's been hit by an Iranian Exocet missile in the 80s. It's not an Iowa-class battleship, those look more like this.

1: Correct, but cutting the defecit from 1.1 trillion when he took office to 400 billion today does count.
3: Eight years ago, the US economy, along with the world, freefalled for a little bit, but health costs didn't.
4: I refounded it and changed it to a sinking ship, because that's what the Trump Campaign is. Haven't updated my sig yet.

The USS Iowa would be more apt analogy of the Trump campaign.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri May 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Mediocre compromiser on too many issues, with some authoritarian tendencies on others.

I think he'll be remembered fondly for the Affordable Care Act (even though I think he didn't fight as hard for better health care reform as perhaps he should have), the major advances on gay rights (although he dragged his feet their a bit at first), killing Bin Laden, opening relations with Cuba, and possibly the Iran deal (depending on how that issue plays out long-term). And, of course, for being the first black President.

I hope history will castigate him for the mass spying, prosecution of whistleblowers, overuse of drones, overly-harsh immigration policies, complete lack of leadership on the refugee crisis, and dangerous bungling in Syria and the Ukraine that risked dangerous escalating those conflicts, among other things.

Of course, if Donald wins, he may be remembered as the President who was so reviled that the country chose a fascist over his preferred successor, as unfair as that would be.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 pm

My Political Alignment: Tea party... As in, you can stand the spoon up in the "Tea Party"

Obama's Political Alignment: Establishment Democrat

Obama Rating: 34.8/100

We'll start with a perfect score, Add extra credit, And then take away to compensate for mistakes.

Reasons:
Pros:
Got Osama Bin Laden +10 (only +10 because most of that was the Military)
Did a great White house correspondence dinner speech. +5 (Seriously, It was hilarious...)
The Economy isn't as bad as it started out +10 (But it certainly ain't good)
Swinging slightly to the right/center in his last year +10 (he has criticized some liberal groups for wanting to silence Conservatives)
The Union is intact +5 (I mean, Buchanan...)
Civil Rights mostly intact +5 (Just a weird situation is all I can say...)
Political Rights intact + 5 (Nothing has realistically changed, and no news is good news.)
I'm still proud to be American +10 (For the most part anyway...)
He listened to Military officials +10 (At least in recent events)
He seems to be morally decent +10 (In comparison with Bill...)

This all may look good (180% so far), but...

Cons:
Obamacare -15 (Seriously, premiums have doubled for many of us, and my family is getting hit hard with the expenses. I should really give him a -20, but I suppose that his intentions were good...)
Libya -15 (One word. Benghazi.)
Pulled out of Iraq without a plan -15 (He essentially let Isis happen)
Foreign Policy collapse -10 (Especially with Europe and the Middle East)
Gun control push -15 (You took an oath of office, to keep the Constitution. If you don't like it, Amend it!)
Executive Orders -10 (It got ridiculous after the first time)
LGBT stuff -20 (but that debate goes elsewhere...)
His party started losing authority -5 (Governors, Senators, Congressmen)
Bailout -10 (It was an entire disaster)
Vacations -10 (He spent 8 years as President, and spent 4 of those years golfing...)
Education -10 (It's only gotten worse.)
Undeclared wars -10 (Again with the Constitution)
Misc. -0.2 (I dunno. Just in case I missed something)

I was being generous to both sides in this rating. If I missed anything, please tell me in Bipartisan format.

Summary: He is a long way from Reagan (The Greatest*), But he was not quite a Buchanan. He scores low, but most of this is due to a lack of careful thought, minor corruption, and sudden bursts of liberalism (Separated by harmless centrism). My quote for Obama is: "He was pretty much bad, but at least we're all still alive and free to complain about him. And our nation is together to boot!". Unfortunately, his legacy might open the door to all heck breaking loose (That is, if Clinton gets elected).

*On the Reagan comment: I know that some of you think that he was bad and all, but this is all mostly a matter of opinion anyway. Still, It is my belief that he should have a "Rushmore Bust" (Ok, I'm joking with that last one, but he's every bit as good as they were). He should At least be on a bill (Kick Grant off. Yeah, he beat the south in a dignified way {He spared Lee}, but he wasn't a good president). Anyway, my scale of presidents is based on a "Reagan - Buchanan" scale. You all have your own scales, I know, but I thought I'd share mine.
Last edited by Northern Freikur on Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even when I contradict myself, I am right.

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Fri May 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Divitaen wrote:The Dow at an all-time high, a rescued auto industry, unemployment rate falling by more than 5 points, an approval rating of more than 50%, more than 90% of Americans insured for the first time, executive actions on gun control and immigration reform, yes I think President Obama will go down in history as one of the best and most effective Presidents ever elected.

And this with an entire political party actively cockblocking and disrespecting him openly.

Yes, unprecedented racist obstructionism by Republicans who have tried to block his agenda all because of the colour of his skin. It is outrageous and prejudiced.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

United Empire of Humanity
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Empire of Humanity » Fri May 20, 2016 11:28 pm

...not the worst of them all.
I thought he was okay at least.
SAS is like 1/3 self hating Americans self flagellating for attention from le enlightened Europeans, 1/3 people who just like to make fun of the ridiculous shit some Americans say, while the other 1/3 are /r/latestagecapitalism tier hatred of the US. You can't even praise America for defeating imperial Japan without someone crying about muh nukes.

Bullshit

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri May 20, 2016 11:28 pm

Divitaen wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
And this with an entire political party actively cockblocking and disrespecting him openly.

Yes, unprecedented racist obstructionism by Republicans who have tried to block his agenda all because of the colour of his skin. It is outrageous and prejudiced.

Its not just because of his race. I loath the Republican Party, but even I know that's too simplistic.

Its also because he's a Democrat, and I'm sure you'll see them do the same or worse if they can if Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton is President.

Though racism is definitely a major factor with the Republican Party (and to a much lesser extent, the Democrats, sad to say).
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:30 pm

He is a mediocre president. I will give that I like his handling of the ISIS situation, and I liked that he delivered on most of his campaign promises ( albeit even if I did not like what the promises were ).

However, I am extremely critical of him for the NDAA, for the bailouts, for the crony system he created in our healthcare, and for doubling our current debt.

But, when you compare that to someone like say Johnson, who got us into a war we would eventually pull out of due to sheer public outrage, would set up discriminatory hiring laws that would last up until today, and would utterly fail and waste billions on his " Great Society" plan; I would say that Obama was mediocre.
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Fri May 20, 2016 11:32 pm

Divitaen wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Hahaha. I laugh at the notion that Republicans are racist. Take it from a Republican, who knows a lotta Republicans.

Lincoln was a Republican
Republicans pushed for desegregation and civil rights
Republicans are proud of that

Cruz is Republican
Rubio is Republican
Carson is Republican

And yet, which party had the whitewashed primary this year?

So, If that's racist, I wonder what you call acceptance...
Last edited by Northern Freikur on Fri May 20, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Empire of Humanity » Fri May 20, 2016 11:34 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

Hahaha. I laugh at the notion that Republicans are racist. Take it from a Republican.

Lincoln was a Republican

The South has a reputation of being run by white racists who switch parties depending on which one is not in power and can capitalize on adding a new member to its' coalition. As of the sixties, they began the transition to, in urban legend, Republican total control only recently broken.
The implication is that the Republican party is operated by racists.
And ebil southron rebels who never learned to quit, but that's for another time :twisted:
SAS is like 1/3 self hating Americans self flagellating for attention from le enlightened Europeans, 1/3 people who just like to make fun of the ridiculous shit some Americans say, while the other 1/3 are /r/latestagecapitalism tier hatred of the US. You can't even praise America for defeating imperial Japan without someone crying about muh nukes.

Bullshit

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Fri May 20, 2016 11:36 pm

United Empire of Humanity wrote:
Northern Freikur wrote:
Hahaha. I laugh at the notion that Republicans are racist. Take it from a Republican.

Lincoln was a Republican

The South has a reputation of being run by white racists who switch parties depending on which one is not in power and can capitalize on adding a new member to its' coalition. As of the sixties, they began the transition to, in urban legend, Republican total control only recently broken.
And ebil southron rebels who never learned to quit, but that's for another time :twisted:

Then I wonder why Ben Carson was temporarily able to topple Trump? (that is before the Liberal Media bombarded him)
And I wonder why Cruz had such High Polling numbers? (He was our last hope...)
Last edited by Northern Freikur on Fri May 20, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:37 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

Its not just because of his race. I loath the Republican Party, but even I know that's too simplistic.

Its also because he's a Democrat, and I'm sure you'll see them do the same or worse if they can if Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton is President.

Though racism is definitely a major factor with the Republican Party (and to a much lesser extent, the Democrats, sad to say).

Racism in the Republican party?

... You are aware that in the last two election cycles, the Republicans have shown more racial and religious diversity than the DNC right? Herman Cain, Marco Rubio, Jindar Mahal, Ben Carson are all some pretty big names if I do recall. On that note, Ben Carson and Rubio almost won the nomination.

The DNC primary consists of... a bunch of old white people.

And the partisan thing is not really limited to the GOP, same goes for the DNC. Although, Barack has found that law making is so much easier when he just by-passes congress * Coughs loudly * Ex-ec-u-ti-ve Or-der.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

Lincoln was a Republican

To suggest that Lincoln is in any way representative of the modern Republican Party is not only laughable and historically ignorant, it is a grotesque insult to Abraham Lincoln and everything he stood, fought, and died for.

Abraham Lincoln fought to keep this country together against white supremacist Confederate secessionists.

The Republicans of today are the party of Neo-Confederates/Confederate apologists, "states' rights" advocates, secessionists, "Second Amendment remedies", and open bigotry.

Perhaps this will clarify the issue:

The KKK, a notorious white supremacist terrorist organization, was founded by ex-Confederates who fought against Lincoln.

The current presumptive Republican nominee has endorsements from past and current KKK leaders.

One of the cruelest ironies of American history is the utter betrayal of Lincoln's legacy by the modern Republican Party.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:

... You are aware that in the last two election cycles, the Republicans have shown more racial and religious diversity than the DNC right? Herman Cain, Marco Rubio, Jindar Mahal, Ben Carson are all some pretty big names if I do recall. On that note, Ben Carson and Rubio almost won the nomination.

And the partisan thing is not really limited to the GOP, same goes for the DNC. Although, Barack has found that law making is so much easier when he just by-passes congress * Coughs loudly * Ex-ec-u-ti-ve Or-der.

I couldn't have stated it better myself.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:39 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

Lincoln was a Republican

The democrats are not exactly clean from the racist card either. As I recall, affirmative action is inherently discriminatory based directly on skin color.

Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Empire of Humanity » Fri May 20, 2016 11:40 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
United Empire of Humanity wrote:The South has a reputation of being run by white racists who switch parties depending on which one is not in power and can capitalize on adding a new member to its' coalition. As of the sixties, they began the transition to, in urban legend, Republican total control only recently broken.

Then I wonder why Ben Carson was temporarily able to topple Trump? (that is before the Liberal Media bombarded him)

It's an urban legend.
Urban legends don't conform entirely to reality.

Bullshit

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Fri May 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

Lincoln was a Republican

To suggest that Lincoln is in any way representative of the modern Republican Party is not only laughable and historically ignorant, it is a grotesque insult to Abraham Lincoln and everything he stood, fought, and died for.

Abraham Lincoln fought to keep this country together against white supremacist Confederate secessionists.

The Republicans of today are the party of Neo-Confederates/Confederate apologists, "states' rights" advocates, secessionists, "Second Amendment remedies", and open bigotry.

The KKK, a notorious white supremacist terrorist organization, was founded by ex-Confederates who fought against Lincoln.

The current presumptive Republican nominee has endorsements from past and current KKK leaders.

One of the cruelest ironies of American history is the utter betrayal of Lincoln's legacy by the modern Republican Party.

That is Irrelevant. Using the South from the 1860's (or even the 1960's) to describe the south as it is, "is a grotesque insult to the south, southerners and everything that the south stands for".

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 pm

And yet, they chose Donald Trump as the nominee.

A man who, again, has endorsements from KKK leaders.

And a black Democratic President sits in the White House.

The Democrats do not attempt to obstruct and delegitimize to the extent that the Republicans do (well, except in their own primary, maybe), and do not openly condone bigotry and xenophobia. They also don't have a nominee who incites violence from his supporters.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

That is Irrelevant. Using the South from the 1860's (or even the 1960's) to describe the south as it is, "is a grotesque insult to the south, southerners and everything that the south stands for".

Good thing I didn't do that then, isn't it?

Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Empire of Humanity » Fri May 20, 2016 11:43 pm

United Empire of Humanity wrote:The South has a reputation of being run by white racists who switch parties depending on which one is not in power and can capitalize on adding a new member to its' coalition. As of the sixties, they began the transition to, in urban legend, Republican total control only recently broken.

The democrats are not exactly clean from the racist card either. As I recall, affirmative action is inherently discriminatory based directly on skin color.

If it is, then they're doing it wrong, at least from my perspective. I thought it was antidiscrimination?
And of course, the dirty rebels were also running for the democrass party before Johnson decided to bitchslap their crow in the face. Eh...labels do define groups, but those groups change associations over time when given reason to. There was reason to change then and reason to change now, and the fun only ends when we do.

Bullshit

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Fri May 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

It's an urban legend.

Numbers don't lie...

Northern Freikur
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Freikur » Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

Good thing I didn't do that then, isn't it?

Actually you did (Trump Disavowed the Endorsement, by the way.).

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:

Lincoln was a Republican

You are aware that Lincoln fought the civil war not to free the slaves but to keep the Union together right? He even famously said that if keeping slavery meant keeping the Union together, than he would do it.

But that is aside from the point, the parties have not changed all that much since then. The Republicans from the civil war were pro-business, conservatively interoperated the constitution, and were for Actual Racial Equality. The only new platform which they have added was states rights.

Allow me to explain to you what Actual Racial Equality is: No race has any more legal privilege or benefit than another. People's skin color will not be brought up as a legal issue. You can succeed or fail all on your own, but your race will have nothing to do with it.

Densaner
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Densaner » Fri May 20, 2016 11:46 pm

In my view an unremarkable presidency. However he will have his place in history as being only the second democrat since FDR to serve two terms.

Chargé d'Affaires

Postby United Empire of Humanity » Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Northern Freikur wrote:
United Empire of Humanity wrote:It's an urban legend.

Numbers don't lie...

I meant that the perception of the Republican Party as racist likely stems from an urban legend. Not that Ted Cruz's utility for achieving victory for the Party after the Cleveland convention would be suboptimal to Hillary Clinton's (i.e. that he would lose if put against her).
I thought Kasich had the highest numbers in the general against either Democratic presumptive. Unless you're talking about a poll concerning a different matter or I was misled on the subject.

Bullshit

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Fri May 20, 2016 11:48 pm

New Axiom wrote:Remember that time he tried to take away guns?

No.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General