NATION

PASSWORD

Monarchist discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What type of Monarchist are you?

Absolutist
46
13%
UK style Constitutional
82
23%
Saudi style Constitutional
3
1%
Prussia style Constitutional
24
7%
Imperial Germany style Constitutional
31
9%
Holy Roman Empire Style
17
5%
Elected Monarchist
15
4%
Liberal Social Democrat Monarchist(Like me)
24
7%
Other(Explain below)
14
4%
None
99
28%
 
Total votes : 355

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Monarchist discussion thread

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 4:13 pm

This is the discussion thread for Monarchists and about Monarchism. So, let's get down to it with a question:
Do you think Europe could realistically become Monarchist again?

I believe yes, but with considerable Right-Wing influence, which is ironic, since I'm a Liberal Socially Democratic Monarchist.
So perhaps, should us Liberal Monarchists align ourselves with our idealogical opposites to bring back Monarchism?
Last edited by Great Feng on Sat May 14, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21210
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Great Feng wrote:Do you think Europe could realistically become Monarchist again?


My short answer is no.

My long answer is still no.

:P
Last edited by Valaran on Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Valaran wrote:
Great Feng wrote:Do you think Europe could realistically become Monarchist again?


My short answer is no.

My long answer is still no.

:P

Not absolute monarchies. I'm talking about Monarchies where the monarch holds some power, but is checked by the democratically elected Prime Minister/President.

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21210
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Sat May 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Valaran wrote:
My short answer is no.

My long answer is still no.

:P

Not absolute monarchies. I'm talking about Monarchies where the monarch holds some power, but is checked by the democratically elected Prime Minister/President.


My answer was for any sort of monarchy that is termed as such (a de facto dynasty of dictators could probably get away with it).
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11177
Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat May 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Free market anti-capitalist. Add approximately 3k posts.

Kowani wrote:Hello! Welcome to NSG! Please leave all sanity at the door, and declare with customs any brain cells exceeding 25!

User avatar
Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8368
Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:21 pm

There are still several monarchs in Europe, most notably Queen Elizebeth II of the United Kingdom. There is also Spain, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway and Luxembourg.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 4:23 pm

changed poll to a more suitable one.

User avatar
Noraika
Minister
 
Posts: 2589
Founded: Nov 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Noraika » Sat May 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Poll answer: UK style Constitutional

Personally speaking, regardless of if it is possible or not, I think that fundamentally a monarchical system of government, such as in the most democratic countries in the world, is better, more stable and democratic than a system in which the head of state is elected. I've heard that there are certainly some countries which are thinking of restoring their monarchies, such as Serbia, and definitely think that restoration of the monarchies in Europe would be a net positive for country and people alike. :lol:
Last edited by Noraika on Sat May 14, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
TRANSEQUALITY~
~ Economic Left -9.38 | Social Libertarian -2.77 ~
~ 93 Equality - 36 Liberty - 50 Stability ~

Democratic Socialism ● Egalitarianism ● Feminism ● LGBT+ rights ● Monarchism ● Social Justice ● Souverainism ● Statism


Pronouns: She/Her ♀️
Pagan and proud! ⛦
Gender and sex aren't the same thing!

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Noraika wrote:Poll answer: UK style Constitutional

Personally speaking, regardless of if it is possible or not, I think that fundamentally a monarchical system of government, such as in the most democratic countries in the world, is better, more stable and democratic than a system in which the head of state is elected. I've heard that there are certainly some countries which are thinking of restoring their monarchies, such as Serbia, and definitely think that restoration of the monarchies in Europe would be a net positive for country and people alike. :lol:

I agree. Though I'd rather have it be Liberal, and the powers of the monarch be curbed and limited, but still they should have practical power and political influence, and not be like the UK style. I'm working on my own style, which I'll post a thread about eventually discussing it.

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21210
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Sat May 14, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm only a monarchist in so far as I believe that if the people of nation x like their monarchy, they should keep it. But as a system of government itself I don't find it espcially attractive, and I am largely opposed to absolute monarchies.

In the case of my own nation, I'm decently supportive of the British monarchy.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Valaran wrote:I'm only a monarchist in so far as I believe that if the people of nation x like their monarchy, they should keep it. But as a system of government itself I don't find it espcially attractive, and I am largely opposed to absolute monarchies.

In the case of my own nation, I'm decently supportive of the British monarchy.

I strongly hate Absolute monarchies, but I hate no monarchy and monarchies that also hold no power.
I aim to have a decent compromise between powerless and absolute, with more power than the UK monarchy but not too much power.

User avatar
Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8368
Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Valaran wrote:I'm only a monarchist in so far as I believe that if the people of nation x like their monarchy, they should keep it. But as a system of government itself I don't find it espcially attractive, and I am largely opposed to absolute monarchies.

In the case of my own nation, I'm decently supportive of the British monarchy.

I strongly hate Absolute monarchies, but I hate no monarchy and monarchies that also hold no power.
I aim to have a decent compromise between powerless and absolute, with more power than the UK monarchy but not too much power.


Why should someone be born into a position of power?
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Great Feng wrote:I strongly hate Absolute monarchies, but I hate no monarchy and monarchies that also hold no power.
I aim to have a decent compromise between powerless and absolute, with more power than the UK monarchy but not too much power.


Why should someone be born into a position of power?

In my idea, you can also adopt an heir, a talented one, and marriage alliances are still useful and help preserve peace.

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21210
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Sat May 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Great Feng wrote:I aim to have a decent compromise between powerless and absolute, with more power than the UK monarchy but not too much power.



What additional power would it have?
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8368
Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Why should someone be born into a position of power?

In my idea, you can also adopt an heir, a talented one, and marriage alliances are still useful and help preserve peace.


You should expand on what you consider your ideal monarchy in the OP. It would also give more debating points.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Valaran wrote:
Great Feng wrote:I aim to have a decent compromise between powerless and absolute, with more power than the UK monarchy but not too much power.



What additional power would it have?

-Ability to declare war(But senate can veto it with a majority vote)
-Ability to appoint lower-level officials that aren't democratically elected positions.
-Ability to have Presidential level power(The same amount of power the UK Prime Minister has) during a national Crisis, especially when the democratic side of the parliament isn't functionable.

User avatar
Dinake
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1470
Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Dinake » Sat May 14, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm an integrist monarchist. Close cooperation between church and state, a strong nobility, and a very great deal of power for the monarch are all features of such a system.
Catholic traditionalist, anti-capitalist with medievalist/distributist influences, monarchist. The drunk uncle of nationstates. Puppet of Dio. Don't sell the vatican.
Look if you name your child "Reince Priebus" and he ends up as a functionary in an authoritarian regime you only have yourself to blame
-Ross Douthat, reacting to Trump's presumptive nomination.
Darrell Castle 2016!

User avatar
Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6928
Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Sat May 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Dinake wrote:very great deal of power for the monarch


Infinite power corrupts infinitely.

/notamonarchist
Bailey Quinn, Nice ta meet ya! (Female Pronouns Please)
Also known as Harley
NS Stats are not used here.
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3
Normal is a setting on the dryer

User avatar
Engleberg
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1190
Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Engleberg » Sat May 14, 2016 4:55 pm

My type of thread has finally arrived!

I'm more of a constitutional monarchist, but still with some absolutism in there.
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

User avatar
Noraika
Minister
 
Posts: 2589
Founded: Nov 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Noraika » Sat May 14, 2016 4:57 pm

In most monarchies the position is virtually powerless, and this 'position' is one of strong cultural importance, as a symbol of the nation which the people can rally around without the influence of petty political differences. It is a symbol of an aspect of stability, of a position which remains and which is there, despite the comings and goings of party leaders and the changing times and social norms. The monarch is a symbol of stability, and continuity, which balances out the constant change of modern politics. It is a symbol of the nation itself, and directly ties the people to their heritage.

In a UK style monarchy, the monarch is all these things, while not at all infringing upon the democratic will of the people being able to be exercised through the Members of Parliament. I actually see very few reasons why a country should not restore their monarchies. I think it'd be an excellent idea on multiple levels.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
TRANSEQUALITY~
~ Economic Left -9.38 | Social Libertarian -2.77 ~
~ 93 Equality - 36 Liberty - 50 Stability ~

Democratic Socialism ● Egalitarianism ● Feminism ● LGBT+ rights ● Monarchism ● Social Justice ● Souverainism ● Statism


Pronouns: She/Her ♀️
Pagan and proud! ⛦
Gender and sex aren't the same thing!

User avatar
Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23848
Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Britanania » Sat May 14, 2016 4:58 pm

I'm an unapologetic monarchist. I don't think monarchies are going to be in vogue anytime soon, but I still would love to see it.

I think monarchism is the ideal form of government, with the monarch serving as a check to democraticlly elected officials. Basically I'm in favour of a UK form of monarchism where the monarch is a little bit more involved in the governing of the nation.
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Sat May 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Britanania wrote:I'm an unapologetic monarchist. I don't think monarchies are going to be in vogue anytime soon, but I still would love to see it.

I think monarchism is the ideal form of government, with the monarch serving as a check to democraticlly elected officials. Basically I'm in favour of a UK form of monarchism where the monarch is a little bit more involved in the governing of the nation.

That's essentially my idea.

User avatar
Engleberg
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1190
Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Engleberg » Sat May 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Great Feng wrote:
Britanania wrote:I'm an unapologetic monarchist. I don't think monarchies are going to be in vogue anytime soon, but I still would love to see it.

I think monarchism is the ideal form of government, with the monarch serving as a check to democraticlly elected officials. Basically I'm in favour of a UK form of monarchism where the monarch is a little bit more involved in the governing of the nation.

That's essentially my idea.


What makes you favor the UK? I myself prefer the Prussian form of monarchism, for it seems more efficient to me.
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

User avatar
Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23848
Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Britanania » Sat May 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Engleberg wrote:
Great Feng wrote:That's essentially my idea.


What makes you favor the UK? I myself prefer the Prussian form of monarchism, for it seems more efficient to me.

Mostly because modern people are too used to the idea of democracy to get rid of it entirely. Giving them a little bit of say, just enough to maintain stability. The UK model, or more accurately a modified version of a Parliamentarian system, at leas gives the illusion of democracy
Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 74369
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat May 14, 2016 5:07 pm

La Republique nous appelle!

Really, I don't understand the appeal of monarchy beyond bling.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sat May 14, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aigania, Andsed, Bear Stearns, British Hifax, Cerinda, Cetacea, Correan, Dazchan, Esternial, Ethel mermania, Hinodia, Kaesel, Kowani, Kul Ibla, Novus America, Omerica, Ors Might, Proctopeo, Republic of Rantura, Siovanija and Teusland, Terruana, The Lone Alliance, Torrocca, Vah Kayne, Valrifell, Xemnarius, Yusseria

Advertisement

Remove ads