NATION

PASSWORD

US General Election Megathread: Trump vs Clinton

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will win the election?

Donald Trump
29%
Hillary Clinton
55%
Gary Johnson
11%
Jill Stein
5%

Total votes : 94

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 pm

West Verrica wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Not really, I expect Clinton to win, just by a larger margin. Trump's share will no doubt be much lower, though.

It's Johnson's home state, I really feel he can win it if he focuses his campaign solely there!

I don't think that would be a worthwhile thing to do, even if it worked. If the Libertarians want to be nationally relevant, then they need to build up the party nationwide, not just focus on a particular state.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue May 17, 2016 10:47 pm

Unioinst Ganja wrote:Can I just say, that I'm shocked that Republican Primary voters voted for a literal fascist? And no, I'm not comparing Trump to Hilter. What I'm saying is that is it fair to say that the Republican Party is no longer the party of a limited Government, but just a butch of racist and nationalist reactionaries? How can anyone consider Trump's political views as advocating a limited Government?

GOP has never been the party of limited government. They just want government to stick its nose in different things from the Dems.

The spout a bunch of small-government rhetoric to try to lure libertarians in, but they NEVER follow through and actually have small government.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue May 17, 2016 10:48 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Unioinst Ganja wrote:Can I just say, that I'm shocked that Republican Primary voters voted for a literal fascist? And no, I'm not comparing Trump to Hilter. What I'm saying is that is it fair to say that the Republican Party is no longer the party of a limited Government, but just a butch of racist and nationalist reactionaries? How can anyone consider Trump's political views as advocating a limited Government?

GOP has never been the party of limited government. They just want government to stick its nose in different things from the Dems.

The spout a bunch of small-government rhetoric to try to lure libertarians in, but they NEVER follow through and actually have small government.

Small enough that it can't touch business, but large enough to wedge tight inside a woman's uterus.
Last edited by Gauthier on Tue May 17, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue May 17, 2016 10:48 pm

USS Monitor wrote:

Very true.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
West Verrica wrote:Johnson got 1% of the vote in 2012 and I'd say the candidates are about 500% worst this year so

:roll: Yeah. That's how math works.

Libertarians want to deregulate math and give consumers more choices. :p

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Wed May 18, 2016 2:42 am

USS Monitor wrote:Libertarians want to deregulate math and give consumers more choices. :p

lmao
"Subjectivity is Truth"

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Wed May 18, 2016 2:52 am

USS Monitor wrote:I don't think that would be a worthwhile thing to do, even if it worked. If the Libertarians want to be nationally relevant, then they need to build up the party nationwide, not just focus on a particular state.

Can you imagine how great for the party it would be if they actually won a state though. They would get so much recognition. It's very difficult for them to be a nation movement in my eyes right now, they just don't have the resource or the ballot access to come close to competing with their competition.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Wed May 18, 2016 3:34 am

West Verrica wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:I don't think that would be a worthwhile thing to do, even if it worked. If the Libertarians want to be nationally relevant, then they need to build up the party nationwide, not just focus on a particular state.

Can you imagine how great for the party it would be if they actually won a state though. They would get so much recognition. It's very difficult for them to be a nation movement in my eyes right now, they just don't have the resource or the ballot access to come close to competing with their competition.

It wouldn't be the first time that 3 different candidates won states, yet we still have a two-party system.

Part of what the LP has going for it is that it has a persistent presence all over the country. It's not like the whole thing revolves around Gary Johnson and this election. He could get hit by a bus and the party would still exist. New Mexico could get nuked off the map and the party would still exist. If a Libertarian moves to a new state, they don't need to find a new party to vote for because chances are there will be Libertarian candidates they can vote for in their new state.

We don't know who the party is going to nominate in 2020 or what state they will be from, so it makes sense to build the party simultaneously across as many states as possible.

In Massachusetts, where I live, libertarianism isn't particularly dominant in the local culture; but there are still unique opportunities for the LP because the GOP is too weak to hold up their end of the two-party system. Other states have their own political quirks that someone might be able to take advantage of. You never know where someone might be able to get their foot in the door and snag a seat in Congress or something like that, so it's good to cast a wide net.

Incidentally, if the Libertarian Party REALLY wanted to win a state, they could just have all their people move to Wyoming and take over. The membership of the LP is only slightly less than the population of Wyoming, and some of the population of Wyoming is children too young to vote.

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Wed May 18, 2016 3:57 am

USS Monitor wrote:It wouldn't be the first time that 3 different candidates won states, yet we still have a two-party system.

Part of what the LP has going for it is that it has a persistent presence all over the country. It's not like the whole thing revolves around Gary Johnson and this election. He could get hit by a bus and the party would still exist. New Mexico could get nuked off the map and the party would still exist. If a Libertarian moves to a new state, they don't need to find a new party to vote for because chances are there will be Libertarian candidates they can vote for in their new state.

We don't know who the party is going to nominate in 2020 or what state they will be from, so it makes sense to build the party simultaneously across as many states as possible.

In Massachusetts, where I live, libertarianism isn't particularly dominant in the local culture; but there are still unique opportunities for the LP because the GOP is too weak to hold up their end of the two-party system. Other states have their own political quirks that someone might be able to take advantage of. You never know where someone might be able to get their foot in the door and snag a seat in Congress or something like that, so it's good to cast a wide net.

Incidentally, if the Libertarian Party REALLY wanted to win a state, they could just have all their people move to Wyoming and take over. The membership of the LP is only slightly less than the population of Wyoming, and some of the population of Wyoming is children too young to vote.

I would love to see a seat in Congress go to a libertarian anywhere, the problem is that their aren't any and yes the direction the GOP is heading is a YUGE opportunity, but I fear it might be wasted if the party doesn't concentrate its efforts. The best way for the party to make gains is to make the party seem more viable to voters who don't want to waste their vote, and the best way to do that is to get people in office and to take states.Also you should look into the free state project!

Edit: Wording (still great with 'em)
Last edited by West Verrica on Wed May 18, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Wed May 18, 2016 4:02 am

I'd never vote for a Libertarian. I'd even take a moderate-leaning Republican over one any day. They're too crazy on economics and seem to be isolationists (and not just on war), but on international diplomatic organisations like the UN etc.

I also am not a huge fan of the social libertarian approach, I prefer the social progressive approach - where you're proudly in support of cultural progressivism and ending all forms of intolerance and prejudice as well as institutional oppression - not just taking a hands-off approach to social issues. Like, I want abortion publicly funded and private companies mandated to publicly accommodate everyone regardless of identity - not just no government intervention in social issues.
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Wed May 18, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 18, 2016 4:51 am

West Verrica wrote:

Libertarians have been elected. At the local level, though I think also in New Hampshire (?) at the state level.

That's actually a better route to national power than simply getting on the ballot in every state, for the Presidency. The strength of the two big parties, their resilience against even huge losses at the Federal level, is their entrenchment at every level from Federal down to State to even local government.

Many government jobs that really should be on the basis of merit (civil service jobs) are elected positions in the US, and grossly incompetent county clerks, county sheriffs, and county assessors get into their small positions of power by running as Democrats or Republicans. There's not much power there, but there's a salary and a quite amazing immunity from being sacked.

The Libertarian party is well ahead of the Greens in contesting the inglorious positions of elected government: the local and state offices. Forget the Presidency, that's way out of reach until your third party has proven itself "down ballot".

Anyone can run for President.

I previously sourced this: in the 2012 Presidential election, Robert Dietz, Dean Morstad, James Terrance and Cecil Roth all ran for President in Maryland. They got one vote each. Meanwhile Santa Claus (also a write-in) got 426 votes.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed May 18, 2016 5:12 am

Atlanticatia wrote:I'd never vote for a Libertarian. I'd even take a moderate-leaning Republican over one any day. They're too crazy on economics and seem to be isolationists (and not just on war), but on international diplomatic organisations like the UN etc.

I also am not a huge fan of the social libertarian approach, I prefer the social progressive approach - where you're proudly in support of cultural progressivism and ending all forms of intolerance and prejudice as well as institutional oppression - not just taking a hands-off approach to social issues. Like, I want abortion publicly funded and private companies mandated to publicly accommodate everyone regardless of identity - not just no government intervention in social issues.

An "affirmative action" policy against social injustices. I broadly agree.

We have to go easy on that though. We should take the opportunities when they arise, fight the battles which we might win, but avoid the losing battles. As social progressives, we cannot ignore economics (lest we be abandoned by voters who care about our agenda, but care more about their wallets). Addressing wealth inequality is the broadest base to address all other inequalities: it's to empower everyone with "money as speech" and "money as power" and if government could do that there would only be some outlying cases of egregious discrimination remaining to be lopped off with fines or prison sentences.

You and I are going to argue I think, but probably not this time. :meh:
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Wed May 18, 2016 6:21 am

Ailiailia wrote:Libertarians have been elected. At the local level, though I think also in New Hampshire (?) at the state level.

That's actually a better route to national power than simply getting on the ballot in every state, for the Presidency. The strength of the two big parties, their resilience against even huge losses at the Federal level, is their entrenchment at every level from Federal down to State to even local government.

Many government jobs that really should be on the basis of merit (civil service jobs) are elected positions in the US, and grossly incompetent county clerks, county sheriffs, and county assessors get into their small positions of power by running as Democrats or Republicans. There's not much power there, but there's a salary and a quite amazing immunity from being sacked.

The Libertarian party is well ahead of the Greens in contesting the inglorious positions of elected government: the local and state offices. Forget the Presidency, that's way out of reach until your third party has proven itself "down ballot".

Anyone can run for President.

I previously sourced this: in the 2012 Presidential election, Robert Dietz, Dean Morstad, James Terrance and Cecil Roth all ran for President in Maryland. They got one vote each. Meanwhile Santa Claus (also a write-in) got 426 votes.

The idea was not that the libertarian party stop focusing on local positions, but rather that during the general election they should focus on winning a single state rather than on many states all at once. If they won this state they would inevitably gain a lot of positive press and general awareness for the party. Even greater than that they might start to seem like a viable party to some who previously wouldn't vote with them because of not wanting to waste their vote.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed May 18, 2016 6:44 am

Why vote for Johnson if you're centre left to left wing?

Theodolia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodolia » Wed May 18, 2016 6:53 am

Kelinfort wrote:Why vote for Johnson if you're centre left to left wing?

There is literally no reason

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed May 18, 2016 6:54 am

Corporate militarism is pretty out there compared to simple free market economics. At least he'd end corporate welfare. That IS a move to the left from Clinton. They might make the calculation that Johnson is the best third party candidate to back in terms of viability.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed May 18, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 am

I guess if you don't trust hillary or don't like her stance on foreign policy(johnson is a non-interventionist) or drugs(johnson wants people to be able to do what ever they want with their bodies) it might be reasonable.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed May 18, 2016 7:04 am

West Verrica wrote:

I guess if you don't trust hillary or don't like her stance on foreign policy(johnson is a non-interventionist) or drugs(johnson wants people to be able to do what ever they want with their bodies) it might be reasonable.

Then vote for Jill Stein, not Gary Johnson.

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Wed May 18, 2016 7:07 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Corporate militarism is pretty out there compared to simple free market economics. At least he'd end corporate welfare. That IS a move to the left from Clinton. They might make the calculation that Johnson is the best third party candidate to back in terms of viability.

I'm not sure how the president -any president- would do that, but ok. Sure let us ignore reality and during election time say the president will do whatever the supporters want to hear. I mean that is what Bernie and his fans have been doing.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Wed May 18, 2016 7:12 am

Eol Sha wrote:
The House of Petain wrote:Honestly, thanks Sanders for giving Trump ammunition. Really appreciate it!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... nders.html

Is Sanders supposed to kiss Clinton's ass?

You think Trump wouldn't have said those things with or without Sanders? Really?

Of course not. The effect is greater though when it's coming from Sanders instead of Trump.

At the end of the day, we all know this primary is over. It's mathematically impossible for him to win. All he is doing is dragging effort and energy away from combating Trump to combating Trump and Sanders. Sanders should get over it. More Democrats favor Hillary over Sanders, sucks to be him.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

Cymrea
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 10, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cymrea » Wed May 18, 2016 7:15 am

The House of Petain wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:Is Sanders supposed to kiss Clinton's ass?

You think Trump wouldn't have said those things with or without Sanders? Really?

Of course not. The effect is greater though when it's coming from Sanders instead of Trump.

At the end of the day, we all know this primary is over. It's mathematically impossible for him to win. All he is doing is dragging effort and energy away from combating Trump to combating Trump and Sanders. Sanders should get over it. More Democrats favor Hillary over Sanders, sucks to be him.

More superdelegates certainly favoured Clinton over Sanders the last time they were polled. Nevada has shown that it doesn't really matter what voters want.
Pronounced: KIM-ree-ah. Formerly the Empire of Thakandar, founded December 2002. IIWiki | Factbook | Royal Cymrean Forces
Proud patron of: Halcyon Arms and of their Cymrea-class drone carrier
Storefronts: Ravendyne Defence Industries | Bank of Cymrea | Pork Place BBQ
Puppets: Persica Prime (W40K), Winter Bastion (SW), Atramentar
✎ Member - ℘ædagog | Cheese Sandwich is best Pony | 1870 (2.0) United Kingdom of Cambria
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS OREGON DUCKS

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed May 18, 2016 7:15 am

The House of Petain wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:Is Sanders supposed to kiss Clinton's ass?

If he's a sore enough loser he'll encourage his fanboys to go 1968 at the DNC.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 am

Kelinfort wrote:
West Verrica wrote:I guess if you don't trust hillary or don't like her stance on foreign policy(johnson is a non-interventionist) or drugs(johnson wants people to be able to do what ever they want with their bodies) it might be reasonable.

Then vote for Jill Stein, not Gary Johnson.

USS Monitor said she didn't like Jill steins lack of experience.

Personally I don't think Jill stein is a non-interventionist (my understanding is she wants to assist marginalized populations everywhere) and while she says she isn't for the war on drugs I think she is mainly thinking in regards to marijuana and not harder drugs.

Edit: I thought I would add some to this despite not thinking anyone will read it. I refreshed my self on Jill Steins policy and I found a couple more things that I dislike. Namely that she is in favor of Gun control, I can't tell her stance on free trade (she's obviously against 'free trade deals' but as am I), She says she is for disarming North Korea, She has some weird ideas on jobs (against casinos, directly creating jobs, subsidizing green jobs), and requiring the hiring of minorities and women.
Last edited by West Verrica on Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 am

West Verrica wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Then vote for Jill Stein, not Gary Johnson.

USS Monitor said she didn't like Jill steins lack of experience.

Personally I don't think Jill stein is a non-interventionist (my understanding is she wants to assist marginalized populations everywhere) and while she says she isn't for the war on drugs I think she is mainly thinking in regards to marijuana and not harder drugs.

The Green Party is avowedly anti intervention in almost every single case.

I understand you may think their policies on drugs isn't as good as the Libertarians, but the Libertarians have economic positions antithetical to the left in almost every way.

West Verrica
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Verrica » Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 am

Cymrea wrote:More superdelegates certainly favoured Clinton over Sanders the last time they were polled. Nevada has shown that it doesn't really matter what voters want.

also 3 million more of the popular vote thus far, and 300 some normal delegates.
Edit: such good at words
Last edited by West Verrica on Wed May 18, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Subjectivity is Truth"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General