NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be the next title of the Libertarian Discussion Thread?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Atlas Hugged
14%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Would You Kindly?
25%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Recreational Nukes
46%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys
14%
Other option (say in thread)
No votes

Total votes : 28

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:
I think really, the only way a Libertarian-lite gets in is if they run either in the Democratic or Republican Party. Of course, that would be reinforcing the two-party system but, it might the only way to get our ideas across.

A libertarian posing as a Democrat would get lynched by the progressives in an instant.

I don't know, Mike Gravel was going okay until he supposedly blew it in a debate. :p
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Fanosolia wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:A libertarian posing as a Democrat would get lynched by the progressives in an instant.

I don't know, Mike Gravel was going okay until he supposedly blew it in a debate. :p

Supporting universal healthcare is probably what made him unpopular in the LP, despite being a governor. Even a controversial belief amongst US liberals as most supported non-universal Obamacare (until it exploded, ofc.)
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Fanosolia wrote:

Supporting universal healthcare is probably what made him unpopular in the LP, despite being a governor. Even a controversial belief amongst US liberals as most supported non-universal Obamacare (until it exploded, ofc.)

Goes to show what I know about Obama care and American liberals :blink: . I would have assumed it more had to do with a distrust of voucher systems more than not supporting (single payer) Universal Healthcare. I say with my high taxes.
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Fanosolia wrote:

Goes to show what I know about Obama care and American liberals :blink: . I would have assumed it more had to do with a distrust of voucher systems more than not supporting (single payer) Universal Healthcare. I say with my high taxes.

I would much rather have single-payer. Obamacare misses the best parts of a market system (market forces holding prices down) but doesn't have the advantages of a proper socialized system (universal coverage). It just turned into such a muddled mess because of Congress' inability to cooperate.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:24 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Fanosolia wrote:

I would much rather have single-payer. Obamacare misses the best parts of a market system (market forces holding prices down) but doesn't have the advantages of a proper socialized system (universal coverage). It just turned into such a muddled mess because of Congress' inability to cooperate.

Basically, Obamacare takes the worst aspects of each system and mashes them together.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Fanosolia wrote:
Elwher wrote:
I'm not sure where you are going with the gun ownership thing, could you please explain?

I have no problem with grassroots action against bigotry, that's simply allowing those on the other side of the transaction to express their opinions too. Personally, if I am buying or selling, I'm simply going to look for the best deal possible and I don't care if I am dealing with a bigot, a Nazi, or even a liberal.

Yeah I did not explain that at all, so my bad :unsure: . Mostly it stems from the fact that the state shouldn't disarm, or restrict the trade of arms based (at least sometimes) on the second amendment, but yet a private business owner can, seems strange to me. Especially when some guns right activists have pointed out how having protection for the vulnerable groups in society could be a plus. Maybe I'm misinterpreting in the way how the right to bare arms is a negative right, but there's my confusion on that.

Now I'll be fair and say that there are more "inclusive," or more realistically, more "amoral" (don't worry there are quotations for a reason) now than ever, so maybe the fear that there might be no place for a particular individual can't pay for a good, like something to protect them, is less of an issue. Maybe I've grown cynical as the have days gone by, and I'm just not sure if I can believe that. In truth, grassroots and "non-politics" movements give hope that intervention is less and less necessary, and I rather support doing more than praying the government does something right for once than not, but I am far from "ideologically pure".

Two related comments on the State vs private citizen restrictions.

First, the Constitution was, in my opinion at least, to restrict the powers of the government, not the citizens. There are many things that the government should not be allowed to do that an individual should be permitted.

This leads to my second point. If a particular gunseller (or any other businessman) declines to sell to you on his own, there is no reason why you cannot go to another seller and deal with him. In fact, that is the biggest argument against discrimination in business, that it is bad for business to exclude a group of people from being potential customers. If, however, the government says that you cannot buy a particular good or service, then if you are a law abiding citizen it is much more difficult for you to deal with a different government.

I agree that trusting the people to do things right rather than relying on the government to force the right result is preferable, if only because the people are more likely to look at individual circumstances rather than enforcing a legalistic, one size fits all solution.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Illinois senator proposes Ranked Choice Voting

Again, I love how people are suddenly talking about reforming the voting system, but RCV is the worst out of all the systems they can imagine. It will remove the vote splitting consequence for voting third party, but I think RCV might further marginalize third parties as it still keeps the two party system, just without the third parties getting in the way.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:Illinois senator proposes Ranked Choice Voting

Again, I love how people are suddenly talking about reforming the voting system, but RCV is the worst out of all the systems they can imagine. It will remove the vote splitting consequence for voting third party, but I think RCV might further marginalize third parties as it still keeps the two party system, just without the third parties getting in the way.

It's a marginal improvement.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Plus, we can barely get people out to vote once every two years. The voting in several rounds strikes me as impractical.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:44 pm

They should at least have STV for the General Assembly. Sure the voting district lines would have to be redrawn so include more than rep per district, but at least there's then a better chance to have some third parties in office.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Are most of the libertarians here of the Austrian School? I don't think I've seen many Chicago-types.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:05 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Are most of the libertarians here of the Austrian School? I don't think I've seen many Chicago-types.

Chicago School is neoliberal AFAIK.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Are most of the libertarians here of the Austrian School? I don't think I've seen many Chicago-types.

Chicago School is neoliberal AFAIK.

Hayek and Friedman are pretty based though.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Economist Milton Friedman was Chicago School and libertarian, and economist Bryan Caplan is Neoclassical. Although yes, Austrian economics has a lot of influence.

You'll probably never find a Keynesian libertarian, since Keynesian economics prescribes state intervention to every problem.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:11 pm

I don't even know the difference. Let people live as they see fit (within reason), be fiscally responsible, and limit government meddling. I'm whatever school of thought that is.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Economist Milton Friedman was Chicago School and libertarian, and economist Bryan Caplan is Neoclassical. Although yes, Austrian economics has a lot of influence.

You'll probably never find a Keynesian libertarian, since Keynesian economics prescribes state intervention to every problem.

I was referring to this thread, but you are certainly correct.

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Chicago is based af.

As much as I like Mises, Friedman is so much better.
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Community Values wrote:

Chicago is based af.

As much as I like Mises, Friedman is so much better.

Friedman has the benefit of his ideas actually being tested on a wide scale (Chile). It's hard to say whether or not Mises carries the same impact beyond obvious influence.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:14 pm

While I disagree with half things Friedman say (e.g. helicopter money*), the another half is brilliant (e.g. voucher system)

* He didn't defend hell-icopter money but eh, he inspired people to work on it.
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Fanosolia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

I was referring to this thread, but you are certainly correct.

If it's any consolation, I tend to agree with Friedman and Hayek the most when it comes to libertarians. Though the problem with me attaching myself to school of economic thought is a lack of economic study in the first place... that was tough to admit...

Great Minarchistan wrote:While I disagree with half things Friedman say (e.g. helicopter money*), the another half is brilliant (e.g. voucher system)

* He didn't defend hell-icopter money but eh, he inspired people to work on it.

What's helicopter money?

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:26 pm

The problem with just giving people money is that it usually comes from two sources:

1.) Theft via inflation
2.) Theft via taxation from people who have legitimately earned that money

Yes, I am back(ish)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:29 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:The problem with just giving people money is that it usually comes from two sources:

1.) Theft via inflation

1.) ECB isn't giving a shit to inflation o/
2.) They aren't giving a shit to this too

So welp, if you see Mario Draghi dropping pink paper out of a helicopter, it's just another weird ECB maneuver.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:The problem with just giving people money is that it usually comes from two sources:

1.) Theft via inflation

1.) ECB isn't giving a shit to inflation o/
2.) They aren't giving a shit to this too

So welp, if you see Mario Draghi dropping pink paper out of a helicopter, it's just another weird ECB maneuver.

"Even though these policies failed in Greece, it certainly can't go wrong anywhere else!" —EBC

Yes, I am back(ish)

Isyrannaea
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Isyrannaea » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Mostly, although Virginia School of Economics seems okay.
Please ignore my old posts.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General