NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be the next title of the Libertarian Discussion Thread?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Atlas Hugged
14%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Would You Kindly?
25%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Recreational Nukes
46%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys
14%
Other option (say in thread)
No votes

Total votes : 28

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Tue May 29, 2018 9:03 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Interesting in French there is a semantic difference between libertariens (right-libertarian) and libertaires (left-libertarian). Ultimately derived from the same word, but the former is a loan from English while the latter is native. TIL

https://www.wikiberal.org/wiki/Libertai ... ibertarien

left libertarianism is an oxymoron.
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Elwher wrote:
Taihei Tengoku wrote:Nobody is entitled to a "reasonable" rate of return. There are expectations which are exceeded or disappointed by the actual course of events. The just course of action is to stop the butchery in the first place, rather than continually take a pound of flesh off the next generation because you think you were entitled to "reasonable" compensation (what did they ever do to you?). Indeed the most recent batch of retirees are the worst in a utilitarian sense because they will live longer unproductively and thus become a bigger burden on a smaller labor force.

I would totally agree with stopping the butchery in the first place. Just give me back the money you took from me, and I will have no problem investing it to give me a comfortable retirement. I am even willing to just take the principal amount, no interest. To simply stop dead, however, would be like a bank deciding that paying of the CD's people invested in is too expensive, so they won't.

I'm betting that people going to the mailbox to receive a Social Security check and receiving a letter that tells them to go screw themselves instead will stop trusting in government, as they should not have all along.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Tue May 29, 2018 9:10 pm

For those debating on the future of Social Security, George Reisman formulated an extremely good policy that would transition and extinguish Social Security completely within 20-30 years. There was also an idea proposed by Jesús Huerta de Soto that went something along the lines of creating an "opt-out", where you would be able to get out of Social Security and receive half/two thirds of the 12.4% taken out of your paycheck ever since the opt-out, while being blocked to get any government pensions (would be particularly useful for people aged 16-30 imo).
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Tue May 29, 2018 10:07 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:Interesting in French there is a semantic difference between libertariens (right-libertarian) and libertaires (left-libertarian). Ultimately derived from the same word, but the former is a loan from English while the latter is native. TIL

https://www.wikiberal.org/wiki/Libertai ... ibertarien

i know but we got to tolerate them on this board lest we are swamped
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:It isn't a CD. It's a transfer at zero time. Your money was taken in 1988 to pay a retiree who didn't save enough in 1988. My money is being taken in 2018 to pay the next cohort in 2018.

My money was taken from 1970 through 2016 to pay for retirees during that time period, correct. There was, however, a legal obligation to pay me benefits in exchange for this taking from 2016 onward. I am saying that I would be willing to forgo that obligation for the return of all the monies taken from me.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 am

Elwher wrote:
Taihei Tengoku wrote:It isn't a CD. It's a transfer at zero time. Your money was taken in 1988 to pay a retiree who didn't save enough in 1988. My money is being taken in 2018 to pay the next cohort in 2018.

My money was taken from 1970 through 2016 to pay for retirees during that time period, correct. There was, however, a legal obligation to pay me benefits in exchange for this taking from 2016 onward. I am saying that I would be willing to forgo that obligation for the return of all the monies taken from me.

I agree, with the addition that the assets of those propped up by welfare (from parasites small and corporate) be liquidated to pay it all back to you plus interest.

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Wed May 30, 2018 4:52 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:

i know but we got to tolerate them on this board lest we are swamped

This is why our nice things get taxed away.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Wed May 30, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm glad to see the ball from 2016 still rolling. If the Libertarian Party can keep up the momentum, I'm sure we can eventually break the duopoly:

http://truthinmedia.com/iowa-libertaria ... dorsement/

Yes, I am back(ish)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 pm

til that econometrics cannot address the faltering us' growth rate
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Of course it can't, econometrics is just the use of statistics in economics.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:13 pm

My authentic mayan calendar didn't predict the end of the world

damn econometrics

Yes, I am back(ish)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:Of course it can't, econometrics is just the use of statistics in economics.

Speaking of, have you heard about Ray Fair's economic prediction models?

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:14 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:My authentic mayan calendar didn't predict the end of the world

damn econometrics

no u

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 am

The Liberated Territories wrote:My authentic mayan calendar didn't predict the end of the world

damn econometrics

Did too. Where's the Mayans? ;)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:50 pm

wow this thread is dead
bump

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:15 pm

REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:18 pm

cba to read it rn as it's late but didn't real housing prices increase during the bubble?

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:

cba to read it rn as it's late but didn't real housing prices increase during the bubble?

What do you mean by "real" prices? Increases above CPI/GDP deflator? In any case that only underscores the argument--all bubbles are nominal (based on arbitrages).
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:wow this thread is dead
bump

Maybe they went down that “Libertarian to alt-right” pipeline. :rofl:
Officially retired as of 8/10/2018. Don’t bother sending TG’s since I’m not coming back.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:cba to read it rn as it's late but didn't real housing prices increase during the bubble?

What do you mean by "real" prices? Increases above CPI/GDP deflator? In any case that only underscores the argument--all bubbles are nominal (based on arbitrages).

Yes to the former and pls gimme tldr

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:wow this thread is dead
bump

thank god I didn't go through that, I avoided the ancap trap

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 pm

thank god I didn't go through that, I avoided the ancap trap

I think it has to do less with ancapism and more to do with white males with social anxiety trying to find belonging.

Yep, I just went there.
Officially retired as of 8/10/2018. Don’t bother sending TG’s since I’m not coming back.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:What do you mean by "real" prices? Increases above CPI/GDP deflator? In any case that only underscores the argument--all bubbles are nominal (based on arbitrages).

Yes to the former and pls gimme tldr

The housing (price) bubble wasn't a case of irrational exuberance but the result of restrictive development codes on the coasts, which drove people to buy cheap single-family homes in other areas. Since the migration was so intense even the more liberal authorities in places like Phoenix and Atlanta couldn't keep up, driving people away to other cities or sprawling out into the next market over. But since people are moving to these places to get away from somewhere else instead of moving to that destination that caused a collapse in the housing market once the front of activity moved away. This mismatch created the impression that for "some reason" home prices were collapsing, setting in motion the chain of insolvencies that led to 2007-2008.
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:thank god I didn't go through that, I avoided the ancap trap

I think it has to do less with ancapism and more to do with white males with social anxiety trying to find belonging.

Yep, I just went there.

White males in the current society exist to be taxfarmed/enserfed to sustain a criminal underclass and a parasitic brahminate. Ancapism offered a solution by saying they could just keep their productivity to themselves. Altrightism offers another answer in white nationalism. Once you understand what the question is you realize that it was a move from escape to retaliation, not a move from "no state power" to "all the state power."
REST IN POWER
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:

Yep, I just went there.

White males in the current society exist to be taxfarmed/enserfed to sustain a criminal underclass and a parasitic brahminate. Ancapism offered a solution by saying they could just keep their productivity to themselves. Altrightism offers another answer in white nationalism. Once you understand what the question is you realize that it was a move from escape to retaliation, not a move from "no state power" to "all the state power."

Yeah, I call bullshit on the that white men are one of the most discimated groups in the western world. I suggest you read some literature and stories among former white nationalists. White nationalists target disfransched white male youth. Now, they found a segment of white males, whom may have delt with some disfrancshment in their lives. Now, I believe that the disfranschment has to due more with issues relating to autism, learning disabilities and social anxieties rather than “It’s the N****/feminist/progressives/SJWS fault why my life sucks!”
Last edited by Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General