NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be the next title of the Libertarian Discussion Thread?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Atlas Hugged
14%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Would You Kindly?
25%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Recreational Nukes
46%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys
14%
Other option (say in thread)
No votes

Total votes : 28

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm

I mean, if you want people who end up on welfare to be locked into a spiral which keeps them on it when they'd otherwise find new employment, ok?

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:
They can't get jobs reviewing welfare applications for fraud, waste, and abuse?

Don't welfare fraud programs cost the government more than they save?
Also, I thought you'd be against government excess, and that's practically the definition of it. :?

Did you want to skip to the part where we decide if I'm responsible for everyone's welfare or everyone is responsible for mine? I know what side of that I want to be on.
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:
Don't welfare fraud programs cost the government more than they save?
Also, I thought you'd be against government excess, and that's practically the definition of it. :?

Did you want to skip to the part where we decide if I'm responsible for everyone's welfare or everyone is responsible for mine? I know what side of that I want to be on.

Ideally my beliefs with prison and welfare are and should be the same : to put themselves out of business.

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Albrenia wrote:I mean, if you want people who end up on welfare to be locked into a spiral which keeps them on it when they'd otherwise find new employment, ok?

I want there to be no welfare for them to end up on. Hell, even a merciless asshole like myself might put a coin in their cup if I hadn't already had my paycheck gouged by taxes.
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Albrenia wrote:I mean, if you want people who end up on welfare to be locked into a spiral which keeps them on it when they'd otherwise find new employment, ok?

I want there to be no welfare for them to end up on. Hell, even a merciless asshole like myself might put a coin in their cup if I hadn't already had my paycheck gouged by taxes.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that then.
Last edited by Albrenia on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irona
Minister

Founded: Dec 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Irona » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:

How does that benefit society? You'd just end up with mass poverty and no way out of it. Plus you'd kill entrepreneurship by making taking a risk a legitimate threat to the survival of the risk taker and their family.

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Irona wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:

How does that benefit society? You'd just end up with mass poverty and no way out of it. Plus you'd kill entrepreneurship by making taking a risk a legitimate threat to the survival of the risk taker and their family.

Can't quit your job when you don't make enough money to sustain yourself to switch to a new one. :>

Irona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Irona » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Irona wrote:How does that benefit society? You'd just end up with mass poverty and no way out of it. Plus you'd kill entrepreneurship by making taking a risk a legitimate threat to the survival of the risk taker and their family.

Can't quit your job when you don't make enough money to sustain yourself to switch to a new one. :>

Exactly.

Who on earth is going to 'take a chance' and set up their own business if it's failure means seriously risking the survival of themselves and their dependants.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Irona wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:

Eliminate the minimum wage and mass-poverty would disappear on account of people having jobs.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Irona wrote:How does that benefit society? You'd just end up with mass poverty and no way out of it. Plus you'd kill entrepreneurship by making taking a risk a legitimate threat to the survival of the risk taker and their family.

Eliminate the minimum wage and mass-poverty would disappear on account of people having jobs.

Yea, if we just hire everyone at 5 cents, that works.

Wait.. You mean we don't need 30 people to flip burgers at 1 joint?

Nevermind the deflationary spiral between now and then..

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Tekeristan wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Eliminate the minimum wage and mass-poverty would disappear on account of people having jobs.

I think the homeless folk of America would rather be getting five cents than zero. Besides, prices would collapse in order for people to actually buy things.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:

I think the homeless folk of America would rather be getting five cents than zero. Besides, prices would collapse in order for people to actually buy things.

Of course, if we ignore the economic consequences of such a massive economic spiral between now and then.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Tekeristan wrote:

Poverty is still very possible without a minimum wage. Why would prices collapse, though?

Community Values
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Community Values » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:17 pm

What's the difference between the NAP and the Social Contract?
"Corrupted by wealth and power, your government is like a restaurant with only one dish. They've got a set of Republican waiters on one side and a set of Democratic waiters on the other side. But no matter which set of waiters brings you the dish, the legislative grub is all prepared in the same Wall Street kitchen."
-Huey Long

Irona
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Irona » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Community Values wrote:What's the difference between the NAP and the Social Contract?

The Social Contract is between the people and state, both of which have different rights and duties. In contrast the NAP is between the people themselves, and everyone promises to do the same.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Community Values wrote:What's the difference between the NAP and the Social Contract?

One doesn't real and the other is fictional.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:I think the homeless folk of America would rather be getting five cents than zero.

It wouldn't be five cents an hour because no one would work for that, even the homeless. Begging pays more than that.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:51 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

One doesn't real and the other is fictional.

Still less of a spook than God, morality, or any of that hufflepuff.

Spooky Scary Skeleton Remix
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:One doesn't real and the other is fictional.

All the pleasing illusions which made power gentle and obedience liberal, which harmonized the different shades of life, and which, by a bland assimilation, incorporated into politics the sentiments which beautify and soften private society, are to be dissolved by this new conquering empire of light and reason. All the decent drapery of life is to be rudely torn off. All the super-added ideas, furnished from the wardrobe of a moral imagination, which the heart owns and the understanding ratifies as necessary to cover the defects of our naked, shivering nature, and to raise it to dignity in our own estimation, are to be exploded as a ridiculous, absurd, and antiquated fashion.

On this scheme of things, a king is but a man, a queen is but a woman; a woman is but an animal, and an animal not of the highest order. All homage paid to the sex in general as such, and without distinct views, is to be regarded as romance and folly. Regicide, and parricide, and sacrilege are but fictions of superstition, corrupting jurisprudence by destroying its simplicity. The murder of a king, or a queen, or a bishop, or a father are only common homicide; and if the people are by any chance or in any way gainers by it, a sort of homicide much the most pardonable, and into which we ought not to make too severe a scrutiny.

On the scheme of this barbarous philosophy, which is the offspring of cold hearts and muddy understandings, and which is as void of solid wisdom as it is destitute of all taste and elegance, laws are to be supported only by their own terrors and by the concern which each individual may find in them from his own private speculations or can spare to them from his own private interests.

[T]he age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists; and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished forever.

-Edmund Burke
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:01 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:One doesn't real and the other is fictional.

"Where do natural rights come from, fam?"
"They evolved by accident!"

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:01 pm

The lack of a minimum wage is a reality in market fundamentalist hellholes like uh Denmark
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

I know it's just a joke, but 'by accident' and 'evolved' don't go together.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:The lack of a minimum wage is a reality in market fundamentalist hellholes like uh Denmark

Denmark puts the rest of Europe to shame regularly.
Albrenia wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:"Where do natural rights come from, fam?"

I know it's just a joke, but 'by accident' and 'evolved' don't go together.

;)

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

tbh the whole universe is an accident. For me, rights are synonymous with man's preexisting condition, made manifest by the power of guns. Naturalness does not play into it. The same "right" that allows a tyrant to take away rights can also be used to protect them.

Taihei Tengoku wrote:The lack of a minimum wage is a reality in market fundamentalist hellholes like uh Denmark

And Swizterland

"but muh unions" union membership in Switzerland isn't spectacular number wise
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 am

What are your thoughts on school choice?

I'm mixed about it, but I'm not adversed to the idea as I once was. I think the main qualm, and one I find to be a decent point, is that by having the government provide vouchers and people often choose to use them to fund and pay form religious schools, and some point that out as a violation of the Establishment Clause and that the government and religion are intermingling with each other.
1 John 1:9

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General