NATION

PASSWORD

Libertarian Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be the next title of the Libertarian Discussion Thread?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Atlas Hugged
14%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Would You Kindly?
25%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: Recreational Nukes
46%
Libertarian Discussion Thread II: A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys
14%
Other option (say in thread)
No votes

Total votes : 28

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Keshiland wrote:Is it true that Libertarians are economic anarchists who only care about the sanctity of contract?

Nope.
Anarchist: a :absence of government
b :a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority the city's descent into anarchy
c :a utopian society of individuals who enjoy complete freedom without government
Libertarian:a person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action

Voluntary association. Not anarchy. (Well... most of us)

Sanctiny of Contract: Sanctity Of Contract is a general idea that once parties duly enter into a contract, they must honor their obligations under that contract.
Are you against that? Or are you using another definition?
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Also Keshi, don't use this as an opportunity to neglect the abortion thread.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Sanctity Of Contract is a general idea that once parties duly enter into a contract, they must honor their obligations under that contract.

No, I am for that. What I have herd is that you guys were 100% unchecked capitalist and very low tax
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Sanctity Of Contract is a general idea that once parties duly enter into a contract, they must honor their obligations under that contract.

No, I am for that. What I have herd is that you guys were 100% unchecked capitalist and very low tax

Anarchist aren't for state enforced contracts.
Libertarians are.
Who did you hear that from?

EDIT: Obviously there are some exceptions.
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

Libertarians are.

Almost every liberal news outlet or discussion board has made fun of and criticized the libertarian economics.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 pm

fish in entryist waters
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:Anarchist aren't for state enforced contracts.
Libertarians are.

Almost every liberal news outlet or discussion board has made fun of and criticized the libertarian economics.

Which outlets said Libertarians don't support state enforced contracts?
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Libertarians are.

Also this response is irrelevant. I was obviously asking about contracts not economic policies as a whole.

EDIT. ALSO they were liberal news outlets? Even if they DID say we didn't believe in contracts, why are we taking their word for what libertarians believe over the libertarians themselves?
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

Also this response is irrelevant. I was obviously asking about contracts not economic policies as a whole.

EDIT. ALSO they were liberal news outlets? Even if they DID say we didn't believe in contracts, why are we taking their word for what libertarians believe over the libertarians themselves?

Oh, I don't have specifics I have just heard it pop up here and there. They said you only beleive in rule of contract not other way around

EDIT- because I can't trust conservative media so I only had liberal media to trust.
Last edited by Keshiland on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

State count 135

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:Also this response is irrelevant. I was obviously asking about contracts not economic policies as a whole.

Oh, I don't have specifics I have just heard it pop up here and there. They said you only beleive in rule of contract not other way around

:blink:
Glad we brought this from the abortion thread to the libertarian thread. That was real exciting.

Thanks everybody for coming. Have a safe trip home folks. Don't be strangers.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:Also this response is irrelevant. I was obviously asking about contracts not economic policies as a whole.

EDIT- because I can't trust conservative media so I only had liberal media to trust.

I wasn't asking you to trust conservative media. But when you're trying to figure out what libertarians believe, you should listen to the libertarians. Not liberals. The opposite doesn't even make sense.
Last edited by VoVoDoCo on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Keshiland wrote:Is it true that Libertarians are economic anarchists who only care about the sanctity of contract?

I was brought here for saying this
Libertarian Nuff said. Aren't you guys economic anarchists who only believe in the sanctity of contract? Paul Ryan is the house speaker thus in charge of budget and libertarian *shivers*

Paul Ryan is a Republican.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Agritum wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:@Vovo: Ask WRA. He should know.

What subreddits do you guys frequent? I frequent /r/libertarian, /r/goldandblack, /r/Newjersey.

/r/neoliberal is hilarious, though the defense of leftists such as Clinton, Trudeau, and Bernanke is kind of off-putting.

Those are all centrists.

Maybe Hillary Clinton is a "centrist" in the same way she was the Establishment's doll, however she repeatedly caved in to much to the Bernie crowd by advocating for raising the minimum wage and providing free college via "debt-free" tuition, an extremely stupid idea she took from Bernie and then watered down. Of course my real opposition to Clinton is that she is a corrupt hack, something that I'd still oppose even if she decided to espouse libertarian economic rhetoric.

As for Mr. Trudeau, how is this guy a centrist at all when he repeatedly bows down to the far-left Social Justice Warrior crowd? We are talking about a man who helped pass a law imprisoning you if you do so much as use the wrong gendered pronoun. Also "infrastructure spending" muh jerbs lol

Keshiland wrote:

This is correct, although "unchecked" assumes something is wrong with it. :^)
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:03 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Agritum wrote:Those are all centrists.

Maybe Hillary Clinton is a "centrist" in the same way she was the Establishment's doll, however she repeatedly caved in to much to the Bernie crowd by advocating for raising the minimum wage and providing free college via "debt-free" tuition, an extremely stupid idea she took from Bernie and then watered down. Of course my real opposition to Clinton is that she is a corrupt hack, something that I'd still oppose even if she decided to espouse libertarian economic rhetoric.

As for Mr. Trudeau, how is this guy a centrist at all when he repeatedly bows down to the far-left Social Justice Warrior crowd? We are talking about a man who helped pass a law imprisoning you if you do so much as use the wrong gendered pronoun. Also "infrastructure spending" muh jerbs lol

Keshiland wrote:

If you knew voting for Hillary would have stopped Trump would you have? Or did you vote for her last election. Considering Gary himself said Trump was with out a doubt worse

State count 135

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:fish in entryist waters

We just want same sex couples to be able to guard their marijuana fields with fully automatic machine guns.
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Ever Victorious Iron Willed Commanders
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ever Victorious Iron Willed Commanders » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Keshiland wrote:

Neither is a centrist. Clinton is right of center personally, but left of center politically since about 2015 largely due to Bernie Sanders. She even said herself she has a "public and private" position on issues. Trudeau's the stereotypical American liberal even though he's Canadian.

Also, I'm a left-libertarian so probably wouldn't be considered one according to these standards (but yes according to Wikipedia).
Last edited by Ever Victorious Iron Willed Commanders on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabid anti authoritarian + social don't care-ist

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 am

Keshiland wrote:

Being called a "far left Social Justice Warrior" and a "corrupt neoliberal hack" at the same time is a telltale sign of centrism, really. Same kinda applies to Macron and Merkel. Depending on who you're talking to they're either cultural marxists who want to open the gates for ravaging hordes of terrorists, or wolf-hiding-as-sheep nationalists out to destroy the labour rights of the proletariat and bust the unions, and in Merkel's case, also secretly hate gay people.

I tend to like this sort of positioning, even if it tends to attract particularly hysteric criticism. Blair fell down exactly due to that. Given the current state of things, maybe Britons would have been better off if their leftier pals hadn't cried about supposed war crimes and whining about apending cuts.

You're right about Hillary and pandering to Bernie though. I especially disliked her backing down on TTIP. People say the DNC rigged things, well I think they didn't rig enough if it took only an independent from Vermont to insert a disruptive political tendency in their ranks. Whoever had the brilliant idea to let independents run for party nominations is probably reaping the harvest now.

Speaking of which, demanding the utmost "honesty" from political officers as the chief value to judge them is a recipe for creating monsters. Italy has reached the terminal stage already with M5S and is literally crying for Berlusconi to come back. America is just starting out, and the embrional state is not the quite Jacksonian Trump, but the Maoist Bernie.

War Gears
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby War Gears » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 am

Agritum wrote:and is literally crying for Berlusconi to come back.

I never thought I would hear "Berlusconi" and "come back" in the same sentence.

Unless it had to do with one of his sex scandals in a completely different context.
Vovodoco wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

Libertarians are.

Anarchists are libertarian though.
Parasparopagraho Jīvānām.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am

Agritum wrote:https://niskanencenter.org/blog/black-liberty-matters/

An interesting article, but too concerned about why people make the claims they do and not sufficiently concerned about the value of the claims themselves. For example, I support the right of at least the original 13 states, as well as those which had independence before joining the Union, to secede. That is not for any explicit or implicit love of slavery, but an extension of my belief that problems should be solved at the lowest possible level of governance. If a state which voluntarily joined the United States no longer feels that said joining is in their best interest, they should have the right to leave.

For another example, corporate welfare is in many ways different form personal welfare. Both are to be condemned as examples of the government doing what it should not be doing, but the causes and results are different. Personal welfare should exist but should be the product of voluntary contributions made to, and distributes by, private agencies. Corporate welfare should not even exist; if a company cannot prosper on its own it should either change or die.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Agritum wrote:

Being called a "far left Social Justice Warrior" and a "corrupt neoliberal hack" at the same time is a telltale sign of centrism, really. Same kinda applies to Macron and Merkel. Depending on who you're talking to they're either cultural marxists who want to open the gates for ravaging hordes of terrorists, or wolf-hiding-as-sheep nationalists out to destroy the labour rights of the proletariat and bust the unions, and in Merkel's case, also secretly hate gay people.

I tend to like this sort of positioning, even if it tends to attract particularly hysteric criticism. Blair fell down exactly due to that. Given the current state of things, maybe Britons would have been better off if their leftier pals hadn't cried about supposed war crimes and whining about apending cuts.

You're right about Hillary and pandering to Bernie though. I especially disliked her backing down on TTIP. People say the DNC rigged things, well I think they didn't rig enough if it took only an independent from Vermont to insert a disruptive political tendency in their ranks. Whoever had the brilliant idea to let independents run for party nominations is probably reaping the harvest now.

Speaking of which, demanding the utmost "honesty" from political officers as the chief value to judge them is a recipe for creating monsters. Italy has reached the terminal stage already with M5S and is literally crying for Berlusconi to come back. America is just starting out, and the embrional state is not the quite Jacksonian Trump, but the Maoist Bernie.

I mean, Trump is the most honest politician yet. That's why people preferred him over Hillary: he was very clear that he has no values beyond screwing people, while Hillary was more shady.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:39 pm

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a ... 1818629537

Thoughts? Awfully shady if you ask me. It's almost as if the EU has been captured by large corporations who use the state to guarantee their profit.

*second to only Washington in number of lobbyists intensifies*

Yes, I am back(ish)

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:40 pm

War Gears wrote:
Agritum wrote:and is literally crying for Berlusconi to come back.

I never thought I would hear "Berlusconi" and "come back" in the same sentence.

Unless it had to do with one of his sex scandals in a completely different context.
Libertarians are.

Anarchists are libertarian though.

True. But not all Libertarians are Anarchist. He was working under that assumption.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:39 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Thoughts? Awfully shady if you ask me. It's almost as if the EU has been captured by large corporations who use the state to guarantee their profit.

"EU finds public goods act like public goods, suppresses study"

s m d h
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:08 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Intellectual property cartel's at it again
Left-libertarian, free market anarchist.
Free market anti-capitalism?
Music

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General