NATION

PASSWORD

BIG TEACHER IS WATCHING YOU

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Neesika wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Oy vey... :palm: Someone really, really, REALLY wasn't thinking.

Stop watching me, Mod!

*watches*

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Person012345 wrote:I'd say that the reason a bunch of high school (I gather that's what this is?) teachers would want to have cameras in their students houses and bedrooms is fairly obvious.

Do tell.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Tekania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:[the peanut gallery speaks]

"The laptop computers that will be issued to all Lower Merion and Harriton students are the property of Lower Merion School District. Students are responsible for the appropriate use of these laptops both at school and at home. The laptops are for the use of students for educational purposes. All commercial, illegal, unethical and inappropriate use of these laptops is expressly prohibited....

...shall not be used:
for gambling or commercial purposes or for any non-school related
purposes;
"

[1] The laptop is school property, not personal property...
[2] Students are responsible for their use at home as well as school
[3] Commercial use is prohibited...
[4] non-school related purposes are also prohibited...

Perhaps I should come to your parents store, write my credit card info on a yellow sticky... and plaster it on the front their register, then turn around get a lawyer and sue them for violating my privacy... Because this makes about as much sense as what you're saying... Which is none what-so-ever... The laptop's are not for processing credit cards... they are not for checking facebook... they are not for playing games, they are not for tons of shit... so to claim a right to privacy in a case where you're illegally appropriating equipment (read stealing) is absurd... There is absolutely no expectation of privacy on the property of another...

I figured that there would be some sort of agreement like this in place, since we have the same sort of thing here.

As I said, parents and students often don't read the fine print, and then whinge when there are consequences for inappropriate use. That being said, the whole spying on the families thing was wrong. Who invented a camera that could do that, and who made it available for retail sale?

"Families were not informed of the possibility the webcams might be activated in their homes without their permission in the paperwork students sign when they get the computers, district spokesman Doug Young said."

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Katganistan, can you condense your posts, please? A triple post is both unneccesary and spammy, especially when two of them are just small quotes.

Bazatia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazatia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Axis Nova wrote:Katganistan, can you condense your posts, please? A triple post is both unneccesary and spammy, especially when two of them are just small quotes.

Hahahahaha, this is so ironic
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard
Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Axis Nova wrote:Katganistan, can you condense your posts, please? A triple post is both unneccesary and spammy, especially when two of them are just small quotes.

Sorry, I answer as I read posts, and unlike the Jolt forum, there's no easy way to merge posts.

West Floradia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Floradia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:25 pm

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE >:( >:( >:( :evil:

Now that that's over with, on to the (semi) coherent rant.

First off, who the FUCK thought this was a good idea? "I know, let's give students laptops with built-in webcams! and then we can use the webcams to spy on them even off campus! wheeee!"

Second off, does the school district REALLY FUCKING THINK anyone READS the shit they make the parents sign? no. You, here, dotted line, sign. Though, this is the parents' fault, they should have known what they were signing and BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THE ASSHOLE WHO DECIDED THIS.

Third- Okay, okay. I don't know if this has been brought up and I'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread right now, but apparently the webcams were set up that way so that if they were reported missing, the school could find them. Uh, children, can we say FUCKING BULLSHIT? IF the webcams are built in, the stolen/missing laptop would likely be closed, and the webcam wouldn't be able to see anything, unless the thief was actually using it. Wouldn't somebody have pointed this out?

Fourth- the kid got in trouble for something AT HOME. I don't know what it was, but the school has no business controlling what goes on at home. Home is the parents' responsibility, and school has no place there. Schools in general are trying to gain more control over students- drug testing, uniforms, zero-tolerance, longer school days- schools are turning into fucking prisons! And now they're sending out laptops with built-in webcams to SPY ON STUDENTS (even if they are trying to "locate missing items") and get them in trouble for shit they do at HOME?! OFF CAMPUS?!

I'm so glad I'm getting the fuck out of high school fascist hell in June.
THE NSG PANCAKE.

Ok, I have met 3 of the legends: Tink, Pancake, and Myrth. -Nanatsu no Tsuki
I'm a legend?! Why didn't anyone tell me until now?!

Blob-land
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blob-land » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Helertia wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:
Darkaddia wrote:
Neesika wrote:
Laerod wrote:Huh?
Because the webcam can capture anything happening in the room where the laptop is, district personnel could illicitly observe plenty more than a student's online activity, the lawsuit alleges.

I'm assuming the webcams were integrated into the laptops, so it would be pointing away from the screen. How would they be able to use the webcam itself to monitor the online activity in the first place?

So was the computer monitoring keystrokes, and online usage? Were the webcams controlled remotely? So bizarre. I can't imagine how something like this would even pass the fantasy stage.

My school issued laptop does monitor key strokes... thankfully, it does not have a webcam.

I would not accept a laptop from my school in the first place.
Well... I don't suppose there's a choice. I would just search "puppies" everyday to seem good.

See, I'd freak them out by looking up anarchist websites and reading slash fiction

I'd freak em' out searching things like "Pipe Bombs, how to" or "kittens with shotguns". Just for fun.
RESIST HUMANITY

Myplaceyo wrote:
Blob-land wrote:
Myplaceyo wrote:Remember the Titans...I cry like a man at the end of that one. You know: Man movie crying...where you silently tear up so when your girlfriend goes "are you crying?" you can go "fuck no...now get back in the kitchen!"

AND MAKE ME MY SAMMICH, DAMMIT!

It's like "My pants are on...you're not bringing me food...so why are you even here?"

Stephanie Meyer, war criminal, mauler of Literature, destroyer of hopes and dreams for a better world~The Rich Port

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:33 pm

West Floradia wrote:RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE >:( >:( >:( :evil:

First off, who the FUCK thought this was a good idea? "I know, let's give students laptops with built-in webcams! and then we can use the webcams to spy on them even off campus! wheeee!"

Second off, does the school district REALLY FUCKING THINK anyone READS the shit they make the parents sign? no. You, here, dotted line, sign. Though, this is the parents' fault, they should have known what they were signing and BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THE ASSHOLE WHO DECIDED THIS.

Third- Okay, okay. I don't know if this has been brought up and I'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread right now, but apparently the webcams were set up that way so that if they were reported missing, the school could find them. Uh, children, can we say FUCKING BULLSHIT? IF the webcams are built in, the stolen/missing laptop would likely be closed, and the webcam wouldn't be able to see anything, unless the thief was actually using it. Wouldn't somebody have pointed this out?

Fourth- the kid got in trouble for something AT HOME. I don't know what it was, but the school has no business controlling what goes on at home. Home is the parents' responsibility, and school has no place there. Schools in general are trying to gain more control over students- drug testing, uniforms, zero-tolerance, longer school days- schools are turning into fucking prisons! And now they're sending out laptops with built-in webcams to SPY ON STUDENTS (even if they are trying to "locate missing items") and get them in trouble for shit they do at HOME?! OFF CAMPUS?!

I think we're all in agreement that it was completely wrong of schools to monitor students at home by remotely turning on webcams, but if you think "I didn't read it," is a valid way to get out of a contract, you're sadly mistaken. There are plenty of people who didn't read the contract and were told by the courts, "It was your responsibility to read the fine print."

West Floradia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Floradia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Katganistan wrote:

I think we're all in agreement that it was completely wrong of schools to monitor students at home by remotely turning on webcams, but if you think "I didn't read it," is a valid way to get out of a contract, you're sadly mistaken. There are plenty of people who didn't read the contract and were told by the courts, "It was your responsibility to read the fine print."

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, very few people read the fine print, and you'd think the ones who do would tell someone. The parents should have looked though, and then challenged the rule BEFORE this sort of thing happened. It's not a valid way, and it's going to be sticky for them in court.

But still, why do schools bother teaching us what the Bill of Rights is if they're going to violate it repeatedly and in as many ways as they can?
THE NSG PANCAKE.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:42 pm

West Floradia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, very few people read the fine print, and you'd think the ones who do would tell someone. The parents should have looked though, and then challenged the rule BEFORE this sort of thing happened. It's not a valid way, and it's going to be sticky for them in court.

But still, why do schools bother teaching us what the Bill of Rights is if they're going to violate it repeatedly and in as many ways as they can?

Please remember this is ONE school, and that you've had multiple teachers in this thread (myself included) express horror and disapproval that ANY school system would think this appropriate.

West Floradia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Floradia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Person012345 wrote:I'd say that the reason a bunch of high school (I gather that's what this is?) teachers would want to have cameras in their students houses and bedrooms is fairly obvious.

Not teachers. Administrators. teachers are, in general, quite caring, but fairly hands-off about what the students do at home, as long as it includes the night's homework. Administrators are soulless demonic bastards who only care about image, and really couldn't give a shit about the students at all. In general. Not many good administrators, nor too many bad teachers (in my experience).
THE NSG PANCAKE.

West Floradia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby West Floradia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Katganistan wrote:
West Floradia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Please remember this is ONE school, and that you've had multiple teachers in this thread (myself included) express horror and disapproval that ANY school system would think this appropriate.

Yeah, one school spies on its students with webcams. And yeah, it's definitely horrible. But I'm talkign what other schools have done recently too- in Havelock, NC, you can be suspended for having a cell phone, which is confiscated and turned over to law enforcement. And strip searches in Arizona? This is hardly "one school" anymore.
THE NSG PANCAKE.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:53 pm

West Floradia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
West Floradia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Yeah, one school spies on its students with webcams. And yeah, it's definitely horrible. But I'm talkign what other schools have done recently too- in Havelock, NC, you can be suspended for having a cell phone, which is confiscated and turned over to law enforcement. And strip searches in Arizona? This is hardly "one school" anymore.

Cell phones can be incredibly disruptive, and have been used to text test answers and, in some places, to organize muggings and beatings. I think it's a bit much to suspend for having one, but having it confiscated and handed over to law enforcement does not seem particularly out of line. It keeps the school from being accused of theft, and I would imagine parents can go down and get the phones back.

Strip searches? For WHAT?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:03 pm

West Floradia wrote:But I'm talkign what other schools have done recently too- in Havelock, NC, you can be suspended for having a cell phone, which is confiscated and turned over to law enforcement.

No, phones are confiscated for 10 days (now, used to be 30), and it was for having cell phones turned on during instructional time; not merely for "having one"....
Such heroic nonsense!

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:42 pm

I bet they also concealed upskirt cameras in the rest rooms.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Pope Joan wrote:I bet they also concealed upskirt cameras in the rest rooms.

All you need to do is look online to see what cellphone cameras and teenagers together do.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Bazatia wrote:
:lol: When theyt try to do stuff like shut off my internet, I just bypass them, our school's IT personnel are terrible at their jobs

Are you sure they are not good at their jobs but just hate oppressive IT policies so they open up lots of holes for the students?
Did you see a ghost?

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:54 pm

North Wiedna wrote:
Darkaddia wrote:
Neesika wrote:
Laerod wrote:Huh?
Because the webcam can capture anything happening in the room where the laptop is, district personnel could illicitly observe plenty more than a student's online activity, the lawsuit alleges.

I'm assuming the webcams were integrated into the laptops, so it would be pointing away from the screen. How would they be able to use the webcam itself to monitor the online activity in the first place?

So was the computer monitoring keystrokes, and online usage? Were the webcams controlled remotely? So bizarre. I can't imagine how something like this would even pass the fantasy stage.

My school issued laptop does monitor key strokes... thankfully, it does not have a webcam.

I would not accept a laptop from my school in the first place.
Well... I don't suppose there's a choice. I would just search "puppies" everyday to seem good.

how does a school district even afford laptops for all their students in the first place?

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:15 am

Katganistan wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Tekania wrote:

"The laptop computers that will be issued to all Lower Merion and Harriton students are the property of Lower Merion School District. Students are responsible for the appropriate use of these laptops both at school and at home. The laptops are for the use of students for educational purposes. All commercial, illegal, unethical and inappropriate use of these laptops is expressly prohibited....

...shall not be used:
purposes;
"

Perhaps I should come to your parents store, write my credit card info on a yellow sticky... and plaster it on the front their register, then turn around get a lawyer and sue them for violating my privacy... Because this makes about as much sense as what you're saying... Which is none what-so-ever... The laptop's are not for processing credit cards... they are not for checking facebook... they are not for playing games, they are not for tons of shit... so to claim a right to privacy in a case where you're illegally appropriating equipment (read stealing) is absurd... There is absolutely no expectation of privacy on the property of another...

I figured that there would be some sort of agreement like this in place, since we have the same sort of thing here.

As I said, parents and students often don't read the fine print, and then whinge when there are consequences for inappropriate use. That being said, the whole spying on the families thing was wrong. Who invented a camera that could do that, and who made it available for retail sale?

"Families were not informed of the possibility the webcams might be activated in their homes without their permission in the paperwork students sign when they get the computers, district spokesman Doug Young said."

I will never again show my ignorance of technology - the need to constantly restate that I was not aware of the technology capabilities to do this is wearing rather thin.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:18 am

Katganistan wrote:

Sorry, I answer as I read posts, and unlike the Jolt forum, there's no easy way to merge posts.

Open a quote window/tab for each post you wish to reply to, then c/p all the quoted material into a single reply window, and proceed from there. 'S what I usually do.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:23 am

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Tekania wrote:

...shall not be used:
purposes;
"

I will never again show my ignorance of technology - the need to constantly restate that I was not aware of the technology capabilities to do this is wearing rather thin.

You were not aware of the technological capabilities of an agreement that failed to inform parents that their homes might be remotely viewed?

I should think that ink and paper is not that technologically advanced.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:24 am

Axis Nova wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Open a quote window/tab for each post you wish to reply to, then c/p all the quoted material into a single reply window, and proceed from there. 'S what I usually do.

I've got plenty of tabs open already, thanks.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:54 am

Katganistan wrote:I think we're all in agreement that it was completely wrong of schools to monitor students at home by remotely turning on webcams, but if you think "I didn't read it," is a valid way to get out of a contract, you're sadly mistaken. There are plenty of people who didn't read the contract and were told by the courts, "It was your responsibility to read the fine print."

I think it is a perfectly valid defense. How can there be a contract if there is no 'meeting of the minds'? Further, how can one enter into a contract other that with the expectation that the counter party will show full faith and honest dealings? Moreover, since this kind of arrangement does not fall under the statute of frauds, the mere memorialization of the contract can only ever be evidentiary, not dispositive.

So, in this case, claiming 'I didn't read it' is neither here nor there.

(Don't blame me, I had Perillo as a contracts Prof.)
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:07 am

Katganistan wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Tekania wrote:

...shall not be used:
purposes;
"

You were not aware of the technological capabilities of an agreement that failed to inform parents that their homes might be remotely viewed?

I should think that ink and paper is not that technologically advanced.

No I wasn't aware that the technology to remotely activate webcams was actually available widely. I thought the article referred to the school checking what was recorded on the webcams or something - not being able to remotely turn them on from outside the home.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General