NATION

PASSWORD

Islam/Muslim Discussion Thread ٢

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

To which branch of Islam do you belong?

Sunni
40%
Sunni (Sufi)
7%
Sunni (Salafist)
4%
Shia (Ja'fari)
5%
Shia (Sufi/Other)
4%
Ibadi
2%
Quranist
4%
Mahdist (Ahmadiyya/Mahdavia)
2%
Non-Denominational
10%
Other
23%

Total votes : 450

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Islam/Muslim Discussion Thread ٢

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:04 pm

This is the second Islam thread, this one (will be) complete with a bit more detailed OP. Here topics about Islam, Shariah, the Quran, the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), and events occurring with Muslims worldwide can be discussed and debated.

If you're new to the thread(s), please state how you feel about Islam, or if you're Muslim yourself. Or not. Whatever. Just talk about things, I can answer questions if you have them.

Dedicated in part to Acro WA, a poster in the previous thread who died of cancer in September of 2015. Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un.
Last edited by Mahdistan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Quranist, Pan-Islamist Muslim
Syndicalist, Councilist, Environmentalist, and Regionalist! Gay and proud!
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview
All credit for the flag to Slovenya
Factbooks>NS stats, but stats form a reference point

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:04 pm

(Reserved)
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Couldn't do the Arabic 2? :P
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Now... If I could be caught up on what's happened in the last ten pages or so?
Mahdistan; An Overview

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Menassa wrote:Couldn't do the Arabic 2? :P

Ha, didn't even think about that! But meh, it looks more official with the Roman numerals.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Menassa wrote:Couldn't do the Arabic 2? :P

Ha, didn't even think about that! But meh, it looks more official with the Roman numerals.

I did the Hebrew 2.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:14 pm

Menassa wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Ha, didn't even think about that! But meh, it looks more official with the Roman numerals.

I did the Hebrew 2.

Alright, you've won me over. 2 it is.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:18 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Menassa wrote:I did the Hebrew 2.

Alright, you've won me over. 2 it is.

Lol, I don't think you understand what I meant...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=313500

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:21 pm

Menassa wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Alright, you've won me over. 2 it is.

Lol, I don't think you understand what I meant...

This is why no one should ever trust me with tasks...

Fixing it now.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Menassa wrote:Lol, I don't think you understand what I meant...

This is why no one should ever trust me with tasks...

Fixing it now.

Lol, I could see now how when I said '2' you thought I meant Arabic numerals.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Menassa wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:This is why no one should ever trust me with tasks...

Fixing it now.

Lol, I could see now how when I said '2' you thought I meant Arabic numerals.

Yea, silly me. It actually took me a little bit before I could find an Arabic 2 I could copy and paste, though.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:34 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Menassa wrote:Lol, I could see now how when I said '2' you thought I meant Arabic numerals.

Yea, silly me. It actually took me a little bit before I could find an Arabic 2 I could copy and paste, though.

Wouldn't it just be the second letter of the Arabic Alpha bet?

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Nice bro. Very nice.
Mahdistan wrote:Now... If I could be caught up on what's happened in the last ten pages or so?

Mostly arguing about the expansion of Islam. Same points and counterpoints raised as always.
Last edited by Jochistan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood Steppe Republic.
I was a wimp before Nationstates, now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.
Genghis did nothing wrong

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Oh, and if I remember right, there was talk last year, when Acro WA passed, of dedicating the next discussion thread to his memory.

I think that would be nice to do.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Menassa wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Yea, silly me. It actually took me a little bit before I could find an Arabic 2 I could copy and paste, though.

Wouldn't it just be the second letter of the Arabic Alpha bet?

Apparently not, though I, unfortunately, am pretty limited on my knowledge of Arabic. I think I got it right though.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Jochistan wrote:Oh, and if I remember right, there was talk last year, when Acro WA passed, of dedicating the next discussion thread to his memory.

I think that would be nice to do.

I'll add something to the OP in his honor.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Menassa wrote:Wouldn't it just be the second letter of the Arabic Alpha bet?

Apparently not, though I, unfortunately, am pretty limited on my knowledge of Arabic. I think I got it right though.

Isn't learning Arabic a big thing in Islam?

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Menassa wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Apparently not, though I, unfortunately, am pretty limited on my knowledge of Arabic. I think I got it right though.

Isn't learning Arabic a big thing in Islam?

Only for prayers, really. I've made attempts to learn Arabic outside of prayers, but it seems English, German, and some Spanish is my lingual limit.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Menassa wrote:Isn't learning Arabic a big thing in Islam?

Only for prayers, really. I've made attempts to learn Arabic outside of prayers, but it seems English, German, and some Spanish is my lingual limit.

Does Islam have set liturgies and what not?

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Menassa wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Only for prayers, really. I've made attempts to learn Arabic outside of prayers, but it seems English, German, and some Spanish is my lingual limit.

Does Islam have set liturgies and what not?

Yes, our Salat prayers are set in stone with specific words to be said. However, in our Du'a, or invocations, we may say and ask what we will, in our native tongue.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Great Feng
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Islam is more prone to extremism than other religions.
It isn;'t bad though, and not all members are extremists, there are just more extremists in there, or at least more violent ones.

The Empire of Argentina
Attaché

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Argentina » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Great Feng wrote:Islam is more prone to extremism than other religions.
It isn;'t bad though, and not all members are extremists, there are just more extremists in there, or at least more violent ones.

No it's not. Where is the evidence? I am sure there are other non-Muslim extremists who are being less vocal
We are unique Argentina-glorious and religious one
Grateful descendant of the Prophet Noah
"Servidle (solamente a Dios), dadle gracias! ¡A Él seréis devueltos!-----Worship Him (God alone)! Be grateful to Him! You will be brought back to Him.”
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
pro: monotheism, Ronald Reagan, Bernie Sanders, repentance, akp, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Argentine las Malvinas, Truman Doctrine

Anti: bashar al asad, Putin, Churchill, Netanyahu, communism, porn, zionism, extremism, fascism, Iran
My factbook

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:02 pm

I believe it is the social conditions presented in Muslim-majority regions that contributes to the current issue of Islamic terrorism. If anyone feels like they want to blow people up to prove a point or gain something, they'll find the justification to do so, no matter what the religion.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:06 pm

The Empire of Argentina wrote:

No it's not. Where is the evidence? I am sure there are other non-Muslim extremists who are being less vocal

More accurately, they're just no being reported as much (i.e. LRA, Tamil Tigers, Shining Path, most abortion-clinic attackers). That being said, I'm not denying that at current, the Islamic world is plagued by an unsightly-large population of terrorists and their supporters, even if they're nowhere near the majority.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Yeah. Definately. Especially in recent years.

Adressing it's a problem and having that kind of even handed dialogue is important.
Last edited by Jochistan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General