NATION

PASSWORD

日会話 (Japanese Discussion Thread)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

一番好きなコンビニ

セブン‐イレブン
33%
ファミマ
33%
ローソン
11%
ミニストップ
No votes
22%

Total votes : 9

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 am

これ は すぱるた です!
1 John 1:9

WolFina
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby WolFina » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Does anyone have a favorite period in Japanese history? I would have to say that mine is the Kofun period, it captures my imagination with it's Haniwa dolls.
P2TM's not-so-favorite-but-we-don't-have-anyone-to-replace-her Fascist otaku catgirl
The Templar High Council wrote:Wolf, why you got dem eyes? I don't like dem eyes...
Gaiserin wrote:/Puts cat ears on you.
( •̀ω•́ )
Rupudska wrote:I bet you'd look cute in a miniskirt and thigh highs.

The East Marches wrote:That is a new level of hate tbh. You can take the title of Italy hater from me in that case.

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The of Japan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Wolfina wrote:Does anyone have a favorite period in Japanese history? I would have to say that mine is the Kofun period, it captures my imagination with it's Haniwa dolls.

I would say a mix between the Sengoku Jidai and the Imperial period
Texan Communist and Internationalist

KiraKira Land
Envoy

Founded: Jul 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby KiraKira Land » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Wolfina wrote:Does anyone have a favorite period in Japanese history? I would have to say that mine is the Kofun period, it captures my imagination with it's Haniwa dolls.

難しい質問ですね!色んな時代が好きです!

多分、平安時代でしょうね~

服装とか、長い黒髪とか素敵です!

もちろん、昭和時代も懐かしくて好きですね。

古墳時代の男性の髪型って可愛いですね!私もやってみたい!

[☮] -- Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a pacifist.
NS stats not always accurate

"Everyone needs a little sugar in their lives!"
-Natune Mahiro

OOC: Male, queer, polyglot, fruitarian, androgynous, glam/decora/lolita/vintage/hippie. Nation does represent my views. ハーフです。日本語もOK

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Would it be possible to create a semi-Japonic language? I am trying to make Versilia more East Asian, and Japan is the closest landmass to Versilia, so it would be possibly culture was exchanged between the two, especially language and such.

Also, I'm having the problem with a writing system. Kana does not included any L or V characters, so that cannot be used unless one helps me find a workaround.
Cyrillic could work, though it is highly unlikely.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

KiraKira Land
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby KiraKira Land » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:57 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:Would it be possible to create a semi-Japonic language? I am trying to make Versilia more East Asian, and Japan is the closest landmass to Versilia, so it would be possibly culture was exchanged between the two, especially language and such.

Also, I'm having the problem with a writing system. Kana does not included any L or V characters, so that cannot be used unless one helps me find a workaround.

Yes of course, I was once creating an Altaic-based language (Japonic is similar to Altaic and might be part of that family).

You can create your own writing system if you want! That would make it more unique. You can make it a syllabary like Kana.
Also, kana does have a vu character:

-Natune Mahiro

OOC: Male, queer, polyglot, fruitarian, androgynous, glam/decora/lolita/vintage/hippie. Nation does represent my views. ハーフです。日本語もOK

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02 pm

KiraKira Land wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:Would it be possible to create a semi-Japonic language? I am trying to make Versilia more East Asian, and Japan is the closest landmass to Versilia, so it would be possibly culture was exchanged between the two, especially language and such.

Yes of course, I was once creating an Altaic-based language (Japonic is similar to Altaic and might be part of that family).

You can create your own writing system if you want! That would make it more unique. You can make it a syllabary like Kana.
Also, kana does have a vu character:

Hm, I see. Versilia is located near Kamchatka and Japan, up in north-west Pacific Ocean, so a sort of mix between native Kamchatkan and Japanese might work. The original settlers came from Neolithic south-east Europe, so they would pick up a lot of things on the way.

I'm unsure how to create a writing system, and I'm reluctant to try because I have yet to find a way for custom writing systems/alphabets to be used on a computer or phone text.

Ah, I see.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:25 pm

I cAn PrOvIdE sOmE aSsIsTaNcE wItH tHaT i GuEsS
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Gigaverse wrote:

I cAn PrOvIdE sOmE aSsIsTaNcE wItH tHaT i GuEsS

That made my inner grammar freak cry.
Why do you gotta bully the grammar freak?
I'm not Satanchia...
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:I cAn PrOvIdE sOmE aSsIsTaNcE wItH tHaT i GuEsS

That made my inner grammar freak cry.
I'm not Satanchia...

seriously though would you prefer that your language was Japonic or not

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:31 pm

as kirakira said l/r and b/v usually just use the same character, so that's not an insurmountable obstacle. though, of course, there are many times when it is bery confusing and hald to dear with.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Souseiseki wrote:

as kirakira said l/r and b/v usually just use the same character, so that's not an insurmountable obstacle. though, of course, there are many times when it is bery confusing and hald to dear with.

But I trust when used to write a language with phonemic (i.e. distinguished) R and L though, that would be a problem.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:That made my inner grammar freak cry.
I'm not Satanchia...

seriously though would you prefer that your language was Japonic or not

はい、ください。
(Hai, kudasai)
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:seriously though would you prefer that your language was Japonic or not

はい、ください。
(Hai, kudasai)

lol i can read hiragana you know

hmm, perhaps we should continue this in tg or elsewhere to avoid cluttering this up too much don't you think

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Souseiseki wrote:

Heh.
Alright.

Gigaverse wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:

But I trust when used to write a language with phonemic (i.e. distinguished) R and L though, that would be a problem.

I plan to keep the leader's name 'Akeldama', though I doubt the L could be said as an L in a Japonic language.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:はい、ください。
(Hai, kudasai)

lol i can read hiragana you know

hmm, perhaps we should continue this in tg or elsewhere to avoid cluttering this up too much don't you think

Sounds good.
(And I was just making sure, because my Hiragana isn't very good...)
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:

it depends on how he wants to play it i suppose. to use russian as an example, sometimes letters have different sounds in different words and there are accent marks that show this, but as far as i know almost nobody uses them because native speakers already know which words use which sounds. so it'd be a problem, but only for people not already familiar with the language.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Khalisako
Senator

Founded: Jul 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Khalisako » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Kaidou wrote:
Khalisako wrote:Yes, I can imagine it now...

Poor location chosen to store nukes
natural disaster(s) strike,
nukes somehow go haywire or go boom,
eyes melt skin explodes everybody dead, etc.

On a side note, Japan's and the US' history with nukes seems to have at least some link with their portrayal of nuclear accidents in popular culture. In American comics, for example, nuclear accidents create superheroes; in Japan, you get Godzilla.

THen there's the property damage. Who's gonna pay for all that mess?

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/insur ... insurance/
Last edited by Khalisako on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highly Important Signature of Approval.
Hurdergaryp wrote:Oh, Khalisako... my dear, precious little Khalisako...
sometimes I just want to grab you by the throat and choke you for a while,
but that would not be proper behaviour. It just wouldn't do.

[DOES NOT BELIEVE IN SIN]
Trump MAGAthread Soundtrack

WolFina
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby WolFina » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:46 pm

KiraKira Land wrote:

難しい質問ですね!色んな時代が好きです!

Does it count as cheating I had to check jisho to fully read this? :p
P2TM's not-so-favorite-but-we-don't-have-anyone-to-replace-her Fascist otaku catgirl
The Templar High Council wrote:Wolf, why you got dem eyes? I don't like dem eyes...
Gaiserin wrote:/Puts cat ears on you.
( •̀ω•́ )
Rupudska wrote:I bet you'd look cute in a miniskirt and thigh highs.

The East Marches wrote:That is a new level of hate tbh. You can take the title of Italy hater from me in that case.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:30 pm

I've completed both hiragana and katakana, but what is the best to go about learning kanji? Is there a way other than rote memorization and remember stroke order?
1 John 1:9

KiraKira Land
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby KiraKira Land » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Wolfina wrote:
KiraKira Land wrote:難しい質問ですね!色んな時代が好きです!

Does it count as cheating I had to check jisho to fully read this? :p

いいえ、大丈夫ですよ

むずかしい漢字使ってすみません!

-Natune Mahiro

Kitatani
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitatani » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:23 am

I have a few questions.

Firstly, what would the romaji for this be?:
キタタニノーチスボード

Secondly, does 北谷 have any macrons (ā, ī, etc), in its romaji?

Thirdly, for someone who is from Kitatani, it would be 北谷人, yes? And as an adjective, it would be 北谷の.
Am I correct in that assumption? I was using the native words for one who is Japanese and the adjective. I admittedly google translate...
| Kingdom of Kitatani |
| 北谷王国 |

-------------\\ 北谷掲示板 | Kitatani Keijiban: Snake Cult gains traction // Kitatani expands to almost all of Tōhoku // Shoshiyō Heika will make Kyōto capital //

Overview | Mizuki | Me/私

KiraKira Land
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby KiraKira Land » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Kitatani wrote:I have a few questions.

キタタニノーチスボード

Thirdly, for someone who is from Kitatani, it would be 北谷人, yes? And as an adjective, it would be 北谷の.
Am I correct in that assumption? I was using the native words for one who is Japanese and the adjective. I admittedly google translate...

1. Kitataninootisuboodo, in the Nippon-siki style
2. No
3. Yes, yes

-Natune Mahiro

Kitatani
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitatani » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 pm

KiraKira Land wrote:
Kitatani wrote:I have a few questions.

キタタニノーチスボード

2. No
3. Yes, yes

ありがとう〜!
What would the spaces be in the romaji of the first question?
| Kingdom of Kitatani |
| 北谷王国 |

-------------\\ 北谷掲示板 | Kitatani Keijiban: Snake Cult gains traction // Kitatani expands to almost all of Tōhoku // Shoshiyō Heika will make Kyōto capital //

Overview | Mizuki | Me/私

KiraKira Land
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby KiraKira Land » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Kitatani wrote:
KiraKira Land wrote:
2. No
3. Yes, yes

ありがとう〜!
What would the spaces be in the romaji of the first question?

I am not sure about that.. As it's a made up word (I think?)

-Natune Mahiro

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General