NATION

PASSWORD

2017 Canadian Politics Megathread - Sesquicentennial Edition

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If a federal election were held today, what party would you vote for?

Liberal
30%
Conservative
29%
NDP
22%
Bloc Québécois
6%
Green
7%
Other
3%
None of the above
3%

Total votes : 364

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri May 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Camicon wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:>implying a soulless hag like Ambrose could ever feel guilt for anything

Good to see your shitposting is in good form.
Oneracon wrote:Alberta Unite the Right press conference this afternoon, leaks/sources suggest PCs and Wildrose have agreed to merge: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4121473

The federal government will officially apologize for its anti-LGBT purges of the public service: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa- ... -1.4120371

US media reports that Trump has officially triggered the 90-day consultation period for NAFTA renegotiations: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nafta-r ... -1.4121341

Quite a variety of stories today, y'all!

Looks like Alberta will be swinging back to the center-right, next election.

Dammit. Notley isn't doing a bad job.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Mon May 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Camicon wrote:Good to see your shitposting is in good form.

Looks like Alberta will be swinging back to the center-right, next election.

Nonsense! According to reliable sources at Rebel Media, Rachel Notley is responsible for every bad thing to happen in Alberta.

/s
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Nonsense! According to reliable sources at Rebel Media, Rachel Notley is responsible for every bad thing to happen in Alberta.

/s

To be fair, she really isn't that great of a Premier.

The raising of the minimum wage to $15/hr was nice, but the lack of concern for how this affects small business owners wasn't very endearing and probably ostracized a lot of her support. Additionally, she pretty much gave the entire oil industry a massive middle-finger with the carbon tax and cap on emissions.

Otherwise, she's spent most of her premiership dealing with Aboriginal relations, funneling money into daycare services and other niche issues. None of which are apt to garner any support with the majority of the Albertan population, and is indicative of how terrible the NDP is with political strategy.

So yeah, not the worst thing to happen to Alberta, but her premiership has been pretty lackluster nonetheless.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon May 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

/s

She isn't good, but I'd take her over Wildrose/PC any day.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue May 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Oneracon wrote:Nonsense! According to reliable sources at Rebel Media, Rachel Notley is responsible for every bad thing to happen in Alberta.

/s

The raising of the minimum wage to $15/hr was nice, but the lack of concern for how this affects small business owners wasn't very endearing and probably ostracized a lot of her support. Additionally, she pretty much gave the entire oil industry a massive middle-finger with the carbon tax and cap on emissions.

Otherwise, she's spent most of her premiership dealing with Aboriginal relations, funneling money into daycare services and other niche issues. None of which are apt to garner any support with the majority of the Albertan population, and is indicative of how terrible the NDP is with political strategy.

So yeah, not the worst thing to happen to Alberta, but her premiership has been pretty lackluster nonetheless.

Imagine thinking this

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue May 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Oneracon wrote:Nonsense! According to reliable sources at Rebel Media, Rachel Notley is responsible for every bad thing to happen in Alberta.

/s

She's literally the Alberta oil and gas industry's biggest cheerleader. To the extent that it puts her in conflict with the national leadership.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:

She's literally the Alberta oil and gas industry's biggest cheerleader. To the extent that it puts her in conflict with the national leadership.

You're describing every premier Alberta has ever had.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Great Karoo
Envoy

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Karoo » Fri May 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Notley isn't a great Premier, but she's a damn sight better than Prentice and Redford were. Really, the NDP have been fighting a losing battle since they won in 2015. They were elected because of a split conservative vote and never thought they'd get elected. They're a social democratic party governing what's basically the Canadian version of the American South.

I really think it's a shame that the Alberta Party and the Alberta Liberals don't get more attention. Alberta could use a moderate centrist government.

Great Franconia and Verana
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 pm

So, Tory Leadership election is tomorrow.

I would be fine with either Raitt or Chong, both solid, competent, red(ish) Tories.

O'Toole and Scheer are simply Stephen Harper lite, though Scheer adds a dash of social conservatism while O'Toole brings in the Military experience bit.

Leitch and Blaney are awful, for obvious reasons.

Bernier is definitely different, but his views are pretty outside of the mainstream. He would likely get slaughtered in 2019.

Really, the losses/resignations from 2015 really left the Conservatives with a pretty weak bench.

MacKay, Baird, Moore, and Kenney would all have been stronger candidates than the slate currently up for election, that's for sure.

Great Karoo
Envoy

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Karoo » Fri May 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Great Franconia and Verana wrote:So, Tory Leadership election is tomorrow.

I would be fine with either Raitt or Chong, both solid, competent, red(ish) Tories.

O'Toole and Scheer are simply Stephen Harper lite, though Scheer adds a dash of social conservatism while O'Toole brings in the Military experience bit.

Bernier is definitely different, but his views are pretty outside of the mainstream. He would likely get slaughtered in 2019.

Really, the losses/resignations from 2015 really left the Conservatives with a pretty weak bench.

MacKay, Baird, Moore, and Kenney would all have been stronger candidates than the slate currently up for election, that's for sure.

I'm thinking Bernier would win, and he used to be my favourite pick out of the lot. But after reading more about Chong, he seems like the more competent candidate. Leitch is out of the mainstream, to say the very least, and has basically no chance of winning anything.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri May 26, 2017 5:16 pm

I come back to complain about the stupidest facebook comment I have ever read.

Some asshole in Saskatchewan made a threat to the PM, got arrested, and some moron said this:

" Poor little Justin…can’t take people talking bout him….. awwww someone please give him a hug with a big safety pin on so he knows he is safe "

This moron got over 100 likes with there comment that conveniently forgets that this law is a thing.

I don't care how much some people dislike him, you can not utter a threat to someone else in this country.

It's the fucking law.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 26, 2017 5:27 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:I come back to complain about the stupidest facebook comment I have ever read.

Some asshole in Saskatchewan made a threat to the PM, got arrested, and some moron said this:

" Poor little Justin…can’t take people talking bout him….. awwww someone please give him a hug with a big safety pin on so he knows he is safe "

This moron got over 100 likes with there comment that conveniently forgets that this law is a thing.

I don't care how much some people dislike him, you can not utter a threat to someone else in this country.

It's the fucking law.

Yes that is quite a stupid comment. I'm not a fan of Justin Trudeau but uttering threats to him is against the law.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri May 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Yeah - I don't know much about the Tory leadership contest, so I can't comment much. I support whomever would be most active in regards to climate change.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Fri May 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

Yeah - I don't know much about the Tory leadership contest, so I can't comment much. I support whomever would be most active in regards to climate change.

That's probably Chong.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Great Franconia and Verana wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

That's probably Chong.

He seems okay - albeit uncharismatic.

What happened to that populist guy? O'Leary or whatever? Did he drop out because Quebec?

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri May 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Tell me about Scheer - Bernier's right populism is a turn off, what does Scheer stand for?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Great Franconia and Verana wrote:That's probably Chong.

What happened to that populist guy? O'Leary or whatever? Did he drop out because Quebec?

Yeah, that's Chong's weakness. He's too...intellectual in this regard. Bernier is definitely the most charismatic of the Tory leadership bunch.

He did indeed drop out and endorsed Bernier.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Yeah, that's Chong's weakness. He's too...intellectual in this regard. Bernier is definitely the most charismatic of the Tory leadership bunch.

Seems odd - he was top of the field. I mean, it would've guaranteed a Tory defeat in 2019, so perhaps it was the best decision for his party? Couldn't say, not a Tory or even Canadian.

Bernier seems too far right to be electable as well. But stranger things have happened.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Franconia and Verana » Fri May 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Major-Tom wrote:Tell me about Scheer - Bernier's right populism is a turn off, what does Scheer stand for?

Scheer is essentially a Harperite with a touch of social conservatism and a bigger smile.
He is also just 37 years old. Despite his 13 year service as an MP, the "He's just not ready," strategy the Tories pursued in 2015 would be an awkward fit if he were to win.
Major-Tom wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Yeah, that's Chong's weakness. He's too...intellectual in this regard. Bernier is definitely the most charismatic of the Tory leadership bunch.

Seems odd - he was top of the field. I mean, it would've guaranteed a Tory defeat in 2019, so perhaps it was the best decision for his party? Couldn't say, not a Tory or even Canadian.

Bernier seems too far right to be electable as well. But stranger things have happened.

Bernier's economics are the bug issue, they are too small governmentish to really appeal to most Canadians in my opinion.

The Tories have always been made up of three parts.
The Western conservative movement, plus the fiscally responsible voters in Ontario and the Maritimes, and the soft nationalist vote in Quebec.

Harper was able to win without the Quebec vote, but it would be hard for Bernier to replicate that.
And his more libertarian stances on social issue could be a problem for most Tories.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri May 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:I come back to complain about the stupidest facebook comment I have ever read.

It's the fucking law.

Yes that is quite a stupid comment. I'm not a fan of Justin Trudeau but uttering threats to him is against the law.

To clarify, uttering threats against anyone is against the law. Don't need to punch someone to assault them.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat May 27, 2017 1:05 am

Deepak Obhrai for Tory leader.

Now that Harper's gone, we need someone to play the role of clueless idiot in the French-language leaders' debate.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Saint-Thor
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saint-Thor » Sat May 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Ainin wrote:Deepak Obhrai for Tory leader.

Now that Harper's gone, we need someone to play the role of clueless idiot in the French-language leaders' debate.

At least Harper was doing pretty well. We could actually understand him. Deepak Obhrai's French sounds more like a mix of Latin and another unidentified language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aelj2urIAc

The guy is not even trying.

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Sat May 27, 2017 1:50 pm

So as a total novice in Canadian politics, but a cold fan of Bernier, would he be too ideological and divisive of a leader for the Tories or is he considered an OK pick? (if he was to win)
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat May 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Vecherd wrote:So as a total novice in Canadian politics, but a cold fan of Bernier, would he be too ideological and divisive of a leader for the Tories or is he considered an OK pick? (if he was to win)

Given how Canadians are generally much more supportive of social programs and safety nets than our southern neighbours, I can't see a libertarian platform going over well during a federal election. I could be wrong, though.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Sat May 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Camicon wrote:
Vecherd wrote:So as a total novice in Canadian politics, but a cold fan of Bernier, would he be too ideological and divisive of a leader for the Tories or is he considered an OK pick? (if he was to win)

Given how Canadians are generally much more supportive of social programs and safety nets than our southern neighbours, I can't see a libertarian platform going over well during a federal election. I could be wrong, though.

Oh yeah of course, and he is often compared to Rand Paul in US politics as far as I have seen. But surely he isnt that radical? Or is he?
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General