NATION

PASSWORD

First female 11X has been accepted

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Uxupox wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Question for OP: Would you be fine with all female combat units within the United States military?

No.

May I ask why?

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Kautharr wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
So, same sex marriage being a topic back in Roman times didn't happen?

HieroclesXElagabalus didn't happen?

Sexist.

The Roman Empire until Christianity saved it was a cesspit of degeneracy, sodomy and paganism. Same goes to the Greeks.

So you're admitting you're wrong that there were no gay people in societies that said women should nurture children and men should go to war?
piss

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Kautharr wrote:

Sexist.

The Roman Empire until Christianity saved it was a cesspit of degeneracy, sodomy and paganism. Same goes to the Greeks.

Both are regarded as really advanced ancient civilizations and most Western ideals can be traced to those "cesspit[s] of degeneracy" including Democracy. Nifty, eh?

Anyway, nothing to be said other than a "good for her" and a "yay for equality."
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Warped Woods
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Warped Woods » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Kautharr wrote:
Warped Woods wrote:Hard to have a father when you send a lot of them to die off somewhere.

If you tell a 5 year old who hasn't been brainwashed by regressive leftists that his father was strong and died for his country, they will grow up respecting them and wanting to be like them.

You poor leftist and rightist sods need a brainwash-off: who brainwashes more children first? Those who win get an army of child soldiers to annihilate the opposition.
A gentwoer, existentialist, subjectivist, nihilist, skeptic, agnostic, ignostic, pirate, psychological hedonist, post-leftist, egoist anarchist, individualist feminist and primitive communist. Welcome to the Crooked Forest. Links for me:
  • "The state is a dick." —me
  • "There exist certain questionable people who don't care about anything but their own pleasure. These people are that long-haired, wide-legged dude, foul-mouthed and without manners, who we've come to know well in recent times." —Martti Pihkala

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
With a name like Elagabalus...

Actually I just think of Alphabet soup when I see that name. It's just a bunch of letters tossed at a stele really.

Like Irish.

Maybe his parents really hated their son.

"Your kid took up your sword and killed your favorite consort!"
"That's it! I'm renaming him Elagabalus!"
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Islamic Emirate
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Emirate » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm

Napkiraly wrote:The Canadian military has been operating with a gender neutral environment, mixed units, for over a generation now. From what I know, there have not been any major problems with this or combat operations. As well, women are held to a different standard than men.

I think the US military will survive.

The Canadian military hasn't exactly performed in a sterling fashion in Afghanistan.

Holding women to different standards to men only weakens the unit. I have no problem serving along side women who can meet the standard, I doubt anyone would think Ronda Rousey, for example, couldn't complete OSUT. If they can't meet the standard, male or female, they shouldn't be 11Bs or Cs
The Republic of Adiyyistan

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm

First female recruit to the Infantry? I didn't know that the American Infantry is purely male until the year 2016!
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

New Antonalia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Antonalia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm

That was a very bad move on the part of the recruiters. They set her up to be dogged for the rest of her military career because if she succeeds she will automatically have this dogma of the untouchable and thus earn resentment from the rest of her unit, and if she failed, the femi-nazis will whine and bitch about how she was unfairly discriminated against because of her gender
A, probably less than successful, model of what a Post Soviet Eastern European nation can be

Pixel Designer: https://thearmsdealer.deviantart.com/

Yes, I use JG Scale. No, Franscale is not better.
1 pxl : 1 inch is better than 1 pxl : 1 cm

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm

The balkens wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Question for OP: Would you be fine with all female combat units within the United States military?

wouldn't that be akin to Segregation in the military before the Korean war?

I suppose, but women were not allowed into combat roles then. If the issue is about efficiency by having women in combat roles with men, then clearly the best way to address the desire to allow women in combat roles while maintaining the efficiency of the units within their given standards is to have all female combat units.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Actually I just think of Alphabet soup when I see that name. It's just a bunch of letters tossed at a stele really.

Like Irish.

"HEY! ELAGABALUS! MEET ME OUTSIDE THE BATH HOUSE. IM GOING TO MAKE YOU REGRET HAVING THAT NAME!" "Caesar, dont be a dick."
Last edited by The balkens on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm

Kautharr wrote:

Sexist.

And then the western roman empire fell. After Christianity was a thing.

Being "degenerate" proof didn't do much to help it.

Besides your side stepping the point.

Gay people where a thing in BC times.

Also, approximately 400,000 U.S. women served in support positions with the armed forces in WW2.

Women should be allowed to serve. They are just as qualified as anyone.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Islamic Emirate wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:The Canadian military has been operating with a gender neutral environment, mixed units, for over a generation now. From what I know, there have not been any major problems with this or combat operations. As well, women are held to a different standard than men.

The Canadian military hasn't exactly performed in a sterling fashion in Afghanistan.

Your basis for this is what exactly? Furthermore, even if true, is that a result of having mixed gender combat units?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:34 pm

The balkens wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

"HEY! ELAGABALUS! MEET ME OUTSIDE THE BATH HOUSE. IM GOING TO MAKE YOU REGRET HAVING THAT NAME!" "Caesar, dont be a dick."

Makes me wonder if he had a twin named Eboladickus. Elagabalus and Eboladickus sitting on a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g...
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Falkenheim (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Falkenheim (Ancient) » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Kautharr wrote:No, a woman's place is in the home to nurture and raise the children. A man's place is at work or at war. Back when that was how the world was, there was no gay or transgender people.

Yes there were. The Sacred Band of Thebes, one of the most badass military units in ancient Greece, was composed solely of male homosexual partners. The Roman emperor Elagabalus may very well have been transgender.

Yeah, and I've totally heard of those! :roll:
We are a bunch of pale, cynical quasi-Germanic people under a psychopathic dictator.

Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunken Island of Rhinomuraena » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:35 pm

It's pretty funny how this thread devolved... only two of the 4 chains are still on the topic...
Nweh.
I'm debatably alive.
Don't do anxiety, existential depression, or not eating. Basically don't be me.
Welp.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Falkenheim wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Yes there were. The Sacred Band of Thebes, one of the most badass military units in ancient Greece, was composed solely of male homosexual partners. The Roman emperor Elagabalus may very well have been transgender.

Are you saying that you haven't heard of Elagabalus?!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Kautharr wrote:

Sexist.

They did become an EMPIRE, y'know.

I don't see how Christianity "saved" the most powerful empire in the West.

On OP:

While I disagree with your notions, I see where you are coming from. All I can say is, good on her. If she can pass boot camp she deserves to be there.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Islamic Emirate
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Emirate » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Islamic Emirate wrote:

Your basis for this is what exactly? Furthermore, even if true, is that a result of having mixed gender combat units?

Nah, just that the Canadian Land Forces aren't especially good. And check their combat record...every operation the Canadians have engaged in was basically a disaster until the Americans, British or Norwegians bailed them out.
The Republic of Adiyyistan

Warped Woods
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Warped Woods » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Let's have a compromise between your two stupid views. Men cannot serve in the military. How about that?

RFI wrote:A lot of comments on this thread are...."awful" and "retrograde" are the most delicate words that I can write...

I'm really curious. Which am I?
A gentwoer, existentialist, subjectivist, nihilist, skeptic, agnostic, ignostic, pirate, psychological hedonist, post-leftist, egoist anarchist, individualist feminist and primitive communist. Welcome to the Crooked Forest. Links for me:
  • "The state is a dick." —me
  • "There exist certain questionable people who don't care about anything but their own pleasure. These people are that long-haired, wide-legged dude, foul-mouthed and without manners, who we've come to know well in recent times." —Martti Pihkala

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Islamic Emirate wrote:

That depends, were any engaged in combat?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Falkenheim wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Yes there were. The Sacred Band of Thebes, one of the most badass military units in ancient Greece, was composed solely of male homosexual partners. The Roman emperor Elagabalus may very well have been transgender.

Not my fault if you're ignorant of ancient Greek military history.

Kautharr
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kautharr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Kautharr wrote:The Roman Empire until Christianity saved it was a cesspit of degeneracy, sodomy and paganism. Same goes to the Greeks.

They did become an EMPIRE, y'know.

I don't see how Christianity "saved" the most powerful empire in the West.

saved it from sin
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Our hearts were made for You, O Lord, and they are restless until they rest in you.” - St. Augustine of Hippo
Trump Will Make America Great Again
You are a: Conservative Anti-Government Non-Interventionist Ultranationalist Fundamentalist
Collectivism score: -67%
Authoritarianism score: -33%
Internationalism score: -33%
Tribalism score: 100%
Liberalism score: -100%
Political Compass: Social 4.71 Economic 2.19

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Warped Woods wrote:Let's have a compromise between your two stupid views. Men cannot serve in the military. How about that?

RFI wrote:A lot of comments on this thread are...."awful" and "retrograde" are the most delicate words that I can write...

I'm really curious. Which am I?

Man.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Islamic Emirate wrote:

Um...Operation Athena?

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Uxupox wrote:
No.

May I ask why?

Yes. The United States army (I only have mid average level knowledge of the other branches) but specifically their combat branches. Now a study taken some years ago taken by TRADOC studied the the impact of a success of a mission between mixed-gender units and some all male units. Now in all cases the male units completely demolished their counterparts. And that wasn't a pre-planned event like the best yearly NCO ones are it was one that was conducted at a random time just like the most drug tests. I also already explained a little bit of my position in the OP regarding weight of the equipment and the possibility of lowering the standards.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General