NATION

PASSWORD

Will Classical Liberalism Kill the Social Justice Left?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Slarvainian
Minister

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Will Classical Liberalism Kill the Social Justice Left?

Postby Slarvainian » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:05 pm

The basis for this forum is the article that Loki the Scottish Rapper wrote on his website pertaining to the social justice movement.

Article:http://lokithescottishrapper.com/2016/02/25/privilege-and-prejudice-social-justice-in-an-age-of-male-confusion/

There are a number of points I would first like to highlight of Loki's article, because I think he is one-hundred percent correct.

First is his assessment of social theories being applied to people's situations. A few weeks ago I posted a forum asking "Where does the philosophy of the SJW's come from?" and on this forum I expressed suspicions that the philosophy came from early days of cultural relativism and Marxism. On further reflection and investigation I have come to another conclusion that I believe to be more adequate in answering that question. I think this modern day social justice philosophy of intersectionality comes from the long tradition of rationalism, that truth is what makes the most coherent sense within a system. This idea of truth though I have to reject, and Loki in his article does this to some extent as well. Loki writes about how feminist social theory cannot adequately explain every situation, and that even if they are not popular facts, they still need to be recognize regardless if their politically correct or not, because they are facts.

While, on the outside at trendy activist rallies and public sector jollies it becomes worryingly fashionable to dismiss their experience as well as much of the hard science around why they are so unruly – because it’s politically incorrect to acknowledge it.

Loki goes on to explore the current problems of the social justice movement. For example, those that defend people's right to free speech, depending on the circumstances, are accused of being sexist as well as triggering warning's and their actual benefit. By highlighting these issues, Loki then delivers his warning for the future of the social justice movement. He says the opponents of scoial justice (siting popular YouTube'rs such as ThunderF00t and Sargon of Akad (The latter being the one who brought this article to my attention). Loki writes that:
Where many on the left would find it politically incorrect to call a spade a spade, as it were, this emergent counter culture is not only unafraid of slanderous accusations but they also come to the party armed to the teeth with facts and data supporting many of their controversial positions.

And indeed this is a position that I agree with. I don't think that the arguments of Social Justice can stand up to the arguments of Classical Liberalism or Libertarianism. At the end of the day people want to left alone to their own devices.

So what is your opinion NationStates?
Last edited by Slarvainian on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy. And ideas are bulletproof.

Sophist, Ironist, the po-mo-neo-marxist Jordan Peterson warned you about.

I really enjoy talking ideas with people so feel free to TG me.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 pm

There is no unified "SJW philosophy". Attempting to look at it this way won't work.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Classical liberalism / libertarianism is basically fascism, it will never harm the left's integrity!
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 pm

Both are essentially prone to social liberal type attitudes.
Your friendly neighborhood Steppe Republic.
I was a wimp before Nationstates, now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.
Genghis did nothing wrong

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Ah, this is about social justice warriors? As I said before, the New Left - the "Regressive Left" - tends to mimic the old right and the "Alt-Right." Libertarianism and classical liberalism haven't changed much at all in the past 60 years values-wise, only the mainstream left - which had been full throttle defenders of free speech, religion, and association, have done a 180.

Ardoki wrote:Classical liberalism / libertarianism is basically fascism, it will never harm the left's integrity!

Here's a good example of the Regressive Left, which has resorted to accusations of fascism in order to shut down debates and conceal it's own authoritarianism.
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Unless The Libertarians in question are Paleoconservatives like most of the Tea Party Movement. Then it's prone to cognitive dissonence between libertarianism and far right social values.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.

Slarvainian
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Slarvainian » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:18 pm

Geilinor wrote:There is no unified "SJW philosophy". Attempting to look at it this way won't work.

Of course. The same way that there is no unified christian position or any other idea really. Labels just help us simplify things. I do express in my previous forum that what I am closely talking about is the regressive left which I define using this previous Wikipedia definition (which has since been changed ironically) "The regressive left is a political epithet used to negatively characterize a section of leftists who are accused of holding politically regressive views (as opposed to progressive views) by tolerating illiberal principles and ideology for the sake of multiculturalism.[1][2] The implications of the term are controversial and contested, and as such its recognition and adoption have been limited."
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy. And ideas are bulletproof.

Writwross
Secretary

Founded: Feb 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Writwross » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:20 pm

The People's Fair Leadership of Writwross proclaims your argument irrelevant. Females are superior to males and this is a simple fact, supported by evolutionary theory. You shall be de - maled.

Victoriala
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Well, being reasonable most of the time helps.

Writwross wrote:The People's Fair Leadership of Writwross proclaims your argument irrelevant. Females are superior to males and this is a simple fact, supported by evolutionary theory. You shall be de - maled.

Normie get out reeeeeeeeeeee

Ardoki wrote:Classical liberalism / libertarianism is basically fascism, it will never harm the left's integrity!

Kek
Last edited by Victoriala on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE COMMONWEALTH OF VICTORIALA
Fuck discourse, Memes are the way forward (its inevitable and you know it)
FACTBOOK | LA SOCIÉTÉ | NATIONS | ILLUMINATOR | +
Fucking little island person. 陰 and 陽 but mostly 陰. I draw and do designs.
My NS activity is 90% shitposts. Singy and I fuck each other occasionally.
Equity is True Equality. Pro-Aufklärung, Anti-Gegenaufklärung. [economic: -4.0 social: -4.21]

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Ah, this is about social justice warriors? As I said before, the New Left - the "Regressive Left" - tends to mimic the old right and the "Alt-Right." Libertarianism and classical liberalism haven't changed much at all in the past 60 years values-wise, only the mainstream left - which had been full throttle defenders of free speech, religion, and association, have done a 180.

Here's a good example of the Regressive Left, which has resorted to accusations of fascism in order to shut down debates and conceal it's own authoritarianism.

'Regressive left' is a fabricated word, most commonly used by white supremacist fake atheist kangaroos, which has no actual meaning.

I'm a true progressive, and you better accept it.

Anyway; hate speech, religious intolerance and organised bigots; are a threat to humanity.

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Ah, this is about social justice warriors? As I said before, the New Left - the "Regressive Left" - tends to mimic the old right and the "Alt-Right." Libertarianism and classical liberalism haven't changed much at all in the past 60 years values-wise, only the mainstream left - which had been full throttle defenders of free speech, religion, and association, have done a 180.

Many American "Libertarians" haven't remained too consistent. With the largely prevalent attitude among some libertarians/paleocons of "Government needs to get out of our lives! There should be laws against these foreigners, liberals, homosexuals, non-Christian, un American Commies!"

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 pm

If only we should be so lucky. However, we will not be. That would require people to have the ability to reason and think independently. Those are skills most people are sadly lacking. This Atlantic article summed up my thoughts on SJWs assaults on what "liberals" used to defend.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/a-letter-to-emory-please-stop-fueling-trumpism/475356/
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Ardoki wrote:

'Regressive left' is a fabricated word, most commonly used by white supremacist fake atheist kangaroos, which has no actual meaning.

Anyway; hate speech, religious intolerance and organised bigots; are a threat to humanity.

Aren't all words fabricated though? I mean, if you accept that words are granted meaning by the society which uses them, then I think "Regressive Left" is an actual word since most people will understand what it means.

Ok.

I agree. That's why I oppose the Regressive Left.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Slarvainian
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Slarvainian » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Jochistan wrote:Unless The Libertarians in question are Paleoconservatives like most of the Tea Party Movement. Then it's prone to cognitive dissonence between libertarianism and far right social values.

Ya a example of a libertarian I might be talking about would be closer to Garry Johnson.

Writwross
Secretary

Founded: Feb 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Writwross » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Victoriala wrote:Well, being reasonable most of the time helps.

Writwross wrote:The People's Fair Leadership of Writwross proclaims your argument irrelevant. Females are superior to males and this is a simple fact, supported by evolutionary theory. You shall be de - maled.

Kek

You appear to have somehow obtained above - average levels of human intellectual acumen. Lobotomy is the solution to this disorder of social ability.

Victoriala
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:26 pm

Writwross wrote:
Victoriala wrote:Well, being reasonable most of the time helps.

Kek

You appear to have somehow obtained above - average levels of human intellectual acumen. Lobotomy is the solution to this disorder of social ability.

Thanks fam, obviously you're better than me and shit
Equity is True Equality. Pro-Aufklärung, Anti-Gegenaufklärung. [economic: -4.0 social: -4.21]

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:26 pm

In America specifically, I think the views of non Paleocon Libertarians would be a welcome respite from "leftists".

And if Christian Democracy advocates could get less crazy and more close to actual Traditionalism, that would be chill.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:27 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Ardoki wrote:'Regressive left' is a fabricated word, most commonly used by white supremacist fake atheist kangaroos, which has no actual meaning.

Aren't all words fabricated though? I mean, if you accept that words are granted meaning by the society which uses them, then I think "Regressive Left" is an actual word since most people will understand what it means.

Ok.

The 'regressive left' support free speech (which should rightfully be restricted by hate speech laws to prevent intolerance), religious freedom (when religion should be restricted to the private sphere [or eliminated and replaced with a progressive state ideology] to ensure secularity and they should pay taxes on revenue and not be hateful bigots), and the freedom for bigots to riot (when they should be tolerance and accepting of others).

I'm a progressive!

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Jochistan wrote:

Many American "Libertarians" haven't remained too consistent. With the largely prevalent attitude among some libertarians/paleocons of "Government needs to get out of our lives! There should be laws against these foreigners, liberals, homosexuals, non-Christian, un American Commies!"

The platform of the Libertarian Party hasn't really changed much since the 70s. Consolidated and moderated, maybe, but the platform then supported gay marriage, as it does still today.

I can't recall many libertarians being against homosexuals, non-Christians, or foreigners. Have you watched the LP debates? All three candidates believe that immigration should be reformed to be more welcoming of immigrants while streamlining the process to our benefit, for example. All three have supported gay marriage (or more specifically, getting the government out of marriage.)

Can you point me the data of libertarians being against homosexual marriage, foreigners, et al? Here's mine:

http://www.isidewith.com/poll/965633/962379
http://www.isidewith.com/poll/1566865877/962379

Yes, I am back(ish)

Zoice
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoice » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Fuck this shit, alt-right wackos and regressive lefties everywhere. So many people reacting to one movement by going way to far in the opposite direction.
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you're ignorant about human sexuality and want to let everyone know. ♂♀
Or if you're an asshole that goes out of your way to bully minorities and call them words with the strict intent of upsetting a demographic that is already at a huge risk of suicide, or being murdered for who they are. :)

For: Abortions, Anomalocaris, Atheism, Anti-theism, Being a good person, Genetic Engineering, LGBT rights, Sammy Harris, the Sandman, Science, Secular humanism
Against: AGW Denialism, Anti-Semitism, Banning religion, Ends, Hillary Clinton, Islamophobia, Means, Mother Theresa, Organized religion, Pacifism, Prejudice, the Pope, Political Correctness, Racism, Regressive Lefties and Righties, Republican Candidates, Theism, Violence

Victoriala
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Ardoki wrote:

That's too much a utopian ideal to begin with. Chill the fuck out. Quit generalizing, you're proving Jochi right more than anything.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Ardoki wrote:

Ok.

The 'regressive left' support free speech (which should rightfully be restricted by hate speech laws to prevent intolerance), religious freedom (when religion should be restricted to the private sphere [or eliminated and replaced with a progressive state ideology] to ensure secularity and they should pay taxes on revenue and not be hateful bigots), and the freedom for bigots to riot (when they should be tolerance and accepting of others).

I'm a progressive!

I never heard the Regressive Left support that. Here's the definition of Regressive Left:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regressive_left

So progressives are against freedom of speech and religion? Confirms what I knew, but thanks anyway.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Victoriala
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Ardoki wrote:

Ok.

I'm a progressive!

Stop contradicting yourself holy shit

Free is free. Get over it.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Victoriala wrote:
Ardoki wrote:'Regressive left' is a fabricated word, most commonly used by white supremacist fake atheist kangaroos, which has no actual meaning.

That's too much a utopian ideal to begin with. Chill the fuck out. Quit generalizing, you're proving Jochi right more than anything.

But Jochistan is talking about libertarians.

I ain't no libertarian! :rofl:

Slarvainian
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Slarvainian » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Ardoki wrote:

Ok.

I'm a progressive!

I reject hate speech on the same grounds that I reject capital punishment. The way to confront ideas is not to ban them but engage with them. Let the marketplace of ideas work itself out and if you have such faith in your ideas they will win a large enough portion of the population in order to have them enacted in society. You don't defeat Brownshirts with Brownshirt tactic's.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General