NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread VII: The Christ Awakens.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
32%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
7%
Methodist
4%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
11%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, non-denominational, etc.)
13%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
3%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 664

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Cill Airne wrote:Interesting! I would say you're a Cultural Christian, but not a religious Christian. This is largely because, inherently, you reject the Creed by not accepting Christ's divinity.

I think I'd agree. The term "Cultural Christian" was basically coined for people who feel they've been "heavily influenced by Christian ideas", and continue Christian cultural practices such as Christian holidays, but don't have religious faith.

Probably too late to put it in the poll though. :/

Sorry; I kept Messianic Jew since I've come across more than I expected on NationStates. I thought maybe it'd encourage more to participate in the thread, to give a wider view of Messianic Judaism.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Conscentia wrote:I think I'd agree. The term "Cultural Christian" was basically coined for people who feel they've been "heavily influenced by Christian ideas", and continue Christian cultural practices such as Christian holidays, but don't have religious faith.

Sorry; I kept Messianic Jew since I've come across more than I expected on NationStates. I thought maybe it'd encourage more to participate in the thread, to give a wider view of Messianic Judaism.

I'll give you the only view of Messianic Judaism you need.... Christianity.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Cill Airne wrote:
Conscentia wrote:I think I'd agree. The term "Cultural Christian" was basically coined for people who feel they've been "heavily influenced by Christian ideas", and continue Christian cultural practices such as Christian holidays, but don't have religious faith.

I understand; I suggested it in the first place because I've seen a few around from time to time. Only suggested replacing it because others didn't like the idea.

Though it would also be interesting to see how many Cultural Christians are around. According to Wikipedia:
Outspoken atheist Richard Dawkins has described himself in several interviews as a "Cultural Christian" and a "Cultural Anglican".[12][13][14][15]

... which is interesting.

Maybe we can try it in CDT VIII?
Last edited by Conscentia on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Hello all! A friendly Roman Catholic here. 8)
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Ovybia wrote:Hello all! A friendly Roman Catholic here. 8)

You'd be the first.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Ovy! Hai! :hug:
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Arvas wrote:So, what is the consensus on protestants that are not sola scripturists? Are they protestants in the normal sense or something else?

Do you refer to protestants who explicitly reject sola scriptura, like the more protestant leaning Anglicans, or protestants who, while confessing belief in sola scriptura, functionally reject it? An example of the latter would be some Lutheran groups who hold that many of Luther's writings are authoritative interpretations of the bible, and hence add a source of authority to the bible.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Menassa wrote:

You'd be the first.

Daw, but I'm a friendly Roman Catholic too! :)
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:14 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Menassa wrote:You'd be the first.

Yes, yes, you're all very friendly. :p

Arvas
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arvas » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Arvas wrote:So, what is the consensus on protestants that are not sola scripturists? Are they protestants in the normal sense or something else?

Do you refer to protestants who explicitly reject sola scriptura, like the more protestant leaning Anglicans, or protestants who, while confessing belief in sola scriptura, functionally reject it? An example of the latter would be some Lutheran groups who hold that many of Luther's writings are authoritative interpretations of the bible, and hence add a source of authority to the bible.

I suppose I mean like Anglicans in general; I've never met any who believe in sola scriptura. Are they "protestants" or something else then?
Čájehehket dal ivnnádet.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Arvas wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Do you refer to protestants who explicitly reject sola scriptura, like the more protestant leaning Anglicans, or protestants who, while confessing belief in sola scriptura, functionally reject it? An example of the latter would be some Lutheran groups who hold that many of Luther's writings are authoritative interpretations of the bible, and hence add a source of authority to the bible.

I suppose I mean like Anglicans in general; I've never met any who believe in sola scriptura. Are they "protestants" or something else then?

Anglicanism is part of the Protestant movement.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Menassa wrote:
Luminesa wrote:

Yes, yes, you're all very friendly. :p

Don't worry about these mass of people in arms on pilgrimage. Their goals are intended elsewhere . . .
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Herskerstad wrote:
Menassa wrote:Yes, yes, you're all very friendly. :p

Don't worry about these mass of people in arms on pilgrimage. Their goals are intended elsewhere . . .

Lol, like monty python.

"I usually don't reveal that information to a group of heavily armed Christians."

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 pm

Arvas wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Do you refer to protestants who explicitly reject sola scriptura, like the more protestant leaning Anglicans, or protestants who, while confessing belief in sola scriptura, functionally reject it? An example of the latter would be some Lutheran groups who hold that many of Luther's writings are authoritative interpretations of the bible, and hence add a source of authority to the bible.

Anglicanism can get... Kind of complicated. Many Anglicans are entirely fine with being called protestants; where it gets tricky is when you take a look at High Church Anglicans and Anglo-Catholics. High Church Anglicans and Anglo-Catholics are typically fine being called Protestant in the more traditional sense, that we have protested against the Catholic Church. However, a lot of us do object to being lumped in with the more modern sense protestants (like Non-Denominational), especially theologically. And interestingly, a couple of parishes in the Episcopal Church of the United States did a survey and something like 47% of members of their congregations identified as Catholic and not Protestant on it. I'll try to find a link to it.

I, personally, define protestant as "any church understanding itself to be a break with the Catholic past and/or a restoration of the primitive Church, with a confessional text as its doctrinal foundation" which is an alternative definition used in some theological circles. And it's for this reason I do not call myself Protestant, or consider Anglicanism protestant.
Last edited by Cill Airne on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Ashlak
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashlak » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:37 pm

I am no longer a christian, but I was raised in the Church of Christ, a restorationist church. Anyone here familiar with it? I'm asking because it seems so few people know about it in general.
I am a girl of the transgender variety

New confederate ramenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New confederate ramenia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Ashlak wrote:I am no longer a christian, but I was raised in the Church of Christ, a restorationist church. Anyone here familiar with it? I'm asking because it seems so few people know about it in general.

only vaguely
probando

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Ashlak wrote:I am no longer a christian, but I was raised in the Church of Christ, a restorationist church. Anyone here familiar with it? I'm asking because it seems so few people know about it in general.

There's a lot of denominations that use that name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Are they the ones that say they are not a cult?

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Menassa wrote:I put irreligious, but it might be different with Judaism...

It is different. You can be an ethnic Jew, whilst not being a religious Jew. "Ethnic Christian" isn't really a thing.

The closest you could argue (and its grasping at very thin straws) is that once you're baptized you're always a christian.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Menassa wrote:

What Christian sect doesn't do that?

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Menassa wrote:Are they the ones that say they are not a cult?

Catholics? I mean like straight up on their website.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Menassa wrote:
Conscentia wrote:What Christian sect doesn't do that?

Catholics?

I don't think that the Roman Catholic Church explicitly identifies itself as a cult - at least not in the relevant sense.
Menassa wrote:I mean like straight up on their website.

Which website?
Last edited by Conscentia on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashlak
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashlak » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:50 pm

New confederate ramenia wrote:

only vaguely

Well, they believe that usage of musical instruments in worship is a sin, and that they were the first church established by J.C. himself in the first century, which I am sure pisses off the Roman Catholics and Orthodox christians. :p

Conscentia wrote:

There's a lot of denominations that use that name.

I was often told growing up that "Church of Christ doesn't mean our Church of Christ". You have the mainstream conservative sect, the non institutional conservatives (called 'antis'), and the liberal sect, which isn't really that liberal from what I've heard.

Menassa wrote:

Yep! I would describe them more as "cult like" rather than full cult. There was the International Churches of Christ, which went full cult.

Conscentia wrote:

Yeah, but they're accused of it very often due to their highly exclusive mindset.

"We are the only true Christians! All denominationalists will burn in hell! Be in the world but not of the world!"
Last edited by Ashlak on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a girl of the transgender variety

West Phoencia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2014

Postby West Phoencia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:50 pm

You referring to the ICOC started by Kipp McKean?

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Ashlak wrote:
New confederate ramenia wrote:only vaguely

Well, they believe that usage of musical instruments in worship is a sin, and that they were the first church established by J.C. himself in the first century, which I am sure pisses off the Roman Catholics and Orthodox christians. :p

Conscentia wrote:There's a lot of denominations that use that name.

I was often told growing up that "Church of Christ doesn't mean our Church of Christ". You have the mainstream conservative sect, the non institutional conservatives (called 'antis'), and the liberal sect, which isn't really that liberal from what I've heard.

Yep! I would describe them more as "cult like" rather than full cult. There was the International Churches of Christ, which went full cult.

Conscentia wrote:What Christian sect doesn't do that?

Yeah, but they're accused of it very often due to their highly exclusive mindset.

"We are the only true Christians! All denominationalists will burn in hell! Be in the world but not of the world!

That last bit sounds like the WBC...
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General