NATION

PASSWORD

Panama Papers thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:58 am

Formerly known as Bafuria.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:02 am

Well, that's 1 down.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:10 am

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844
http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/art ... c3495adf4/

BBC News wrote:Eleven million documents were leaked from one of the world's most secretive companies, Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca. They show how Mossack Fonseca has helped clients launder money, dodge sanctions and evade tax.
[...]
The documents show links to 72 current or former heads of state in the data, including dictators accused of looting their own countries.
Süddeutsche Zeitung wrote:The data provides rare insights into a world that can only exist in the shadows. It proves how a global industry led by major banks, legal firms, and asset management companies secretly manages the estates of the world’s rich and famous: from politicians, Fifa officials, fraudsters and drug smugglers, to celebrities and professional athletes.

So, NSG, Mossack Fonseca, a Panamanian law firm known for being cozy with dictators, banks, the super rich and overall international scumbags has had 2.6 terabytes of data leaked (c. 11.5 million documents, ranging from the 1970's to 2016) revealing how said scumbags use tax havens to hide their money. The families of Putin, Hosni Mubarak, Muammar Gadaffi and Bashar al-Assad are being implicated in the scandal, but perhaps most surprisingly, it seems that even the prime minister of Iceland, supposedly one of the least corrupt countries in the world, is being investigated over the purchase of an offshore company in 2007. He did not declare an interest in the company when entering parliament in 2009.

A lot of questions have been asked: where does the money come from? Where is it going? Is this structure legal? So, what do you think, fellow NSGers? Should we do more to hold the world's political and financial elite accountable? What do you think should be done about corporate law firms such as Mossack Fonseca, which is well-known for helping those people circumvent the law? Comment below.

Also, it seems Argentine neoliberal messiah Mauricio Macri's family is also implicated in this scandal. Shocking! (but not for me).

Wow tax evasion. Surprise surprise most people do this shit regularly, in my country anyway.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:31 am

Shofercia wrote:Actually, if they're blatantly lying, they can be shut down. And if you're contradicting facts, there's some probability that you're lying. The First Amendment doesn't apply outside of the United States.

The Icelandic PM resigning seems to support the accusations being true.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 am

Unfamiliar with the exact system. Will this trigger elections, or will a deputy of some sort just take over?

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:33 am

Merizoc wrote:

Unfamiliar with the exact system. Will this trigger elections, or will a deputy of some sort just take over?

Whether new elections will be held depends on whether the opposition's motion of no confidence will pass. If it does then yes, new elections will be held.

Currently the now former minister of Agriculture and Fisheries is acting Prime Minister.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Panslavicland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 13, 2015
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Panslavicland » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:37 am

Shofercia wrote:
Frank Zipper wrote:
The Manchester gangster Don Arden had all his assets in the name of his daughter. The fact that she was an innocent schoolgirl did not mean that he wasn't a gangster.

Did you not read my post? From the Guardian's trash, I mean article: She used agents in the Isle of Man who wrote in emails that the company was to be used for investments.

I'd like to see proof of that. If not, Guardian's probably liable to be sued for defamation in Russia, and the Bill Clinton defense won't work.

The article you linked to has a document which shows Bridgewater, which is an Isle of Man based company as the administrators of the company Tatiana Navka is alleged to be the beneficial owner, so they would probably use that as their defence. Not that they have supplied any evidence she is actually involved besides the passport, utility bills and the verification from her bank which as you have already pointed out could have been obtained by anyone with a slight connection to her.

And even if she is the owner its still none of the Guardians business. I hope she sues for invasion of privacy. I hope its like Gawker all over again.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Mugrul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mugrul » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Alistan
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:00 pm

oh wow, look at Bernie Sanders in predicting the future
http://mic.com/articles/139848/bernie-s ... .PjcXCdL8v
Path to Harmony—For a more peaceful tomorrow

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

Your futurologist and transhumanist

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Iceland are angry!
The news are showing people kicking a tiny fence surrounding the parliament building and wielding such weapons as a floor brush, empty tin pots and even a banana, (yes a banana!) raised in the air as a sign of defiance.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:08 pm

Nah, it cannot be logical. Must be ebul anti Russian conspiracy!
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:11 pm

I read the New York Times' article on Iceland's PM resigning. Damn. Did not know it was this serious. :blink:
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Eol Sha wrote:I read the New York Times' article on Iceland's PM resigning. Damn. Did not know it was this serious. :blink:

Well he is one of the "touchables" on the list. The like of the King of Saudi Arabia or most of the Chinese communist leaders won't even break a sweat.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:I read the New York Times' article on Iceland's PM resigning. Damn. Did not know it was this serious. :blink:

Well he is one of the "touchables" on the list. The like of the King of Saudi Arabia or most of the Chinese communist leaders won't even break a sweat.

That's probably true. Although, Xi JInping has been trying to crack down on corruption so maybe he'll continue forward on that path and bust the people implicated in the leak.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Shamhnan Insir wrote:Well he is one of the "touchables" on the list. The like of the King of Saudi Arabia or most of the Chinese communist leaders won't even break a sweat.

That's probably true. Although, Xi JInping has been trying to crack down on corruption so maybe he'll continue forward on that path and bust the people implicated in the leak.

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure he is one of the people on the list.
Call me Sham

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:That's probably true. Although, Xi JInping has been trying to crack down on corruption so maybe he'll continue forward on that path and bust the people implicated in the leak.

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure he is one of the people on the list.

Sort of.

Some members of his family are on the list. Which does put him in a rather awkward position.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:
Eol Sha wrote:That's probably true. Although, Xi JInping has been trying to crack down on corruption so maybe he'll continue forward on that path and bust the people implicated in the leak.

Xi is on the list. Big difference though. Unlike Iceland in China information is controlled, the population brainwashed and under constant surveillance, and any opposition to Xi will be crushed without mercy.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Thomas Insaniac
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Thomas Insaniac » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Novus America wrote:
Shamhnan Insir wrote:I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure he is one of the people on the list.

Xi is on the list. Big difference though. Unlike Iceland in China information is controlled, the population brainwashed and under constant surveillance, and any opposition to Xi will be crushed without mercy.

It's already been censored in China

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-35957235

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Shamhnan Insir wrote:I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure he is one of the people on the list.

Sort of.

Some members of his family are on the list. Which does put him in a rather awkward position.

Not too much. Not many people in China will hear about it. Those that do do not want the secret police going all night and fog on their ass either, so will be afraid to talk about it.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Thomas Insaniac wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Yeah it got banned at somepoint yesterday. If you search for anything like it on Chinas authorised search engine it pops up with a warning that viewing the material is a criminal offence.

Lot of South African links too, but again I think they might be in the untouchables catagory with the Saudi King and Putin.
Call me Sham

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:

It's a real kick in the guts for the Icelandic people. Sigmundur was elected in the aftermath of the GFC with the promise of "bringing the banks to justice". It's terribly ironic and tragic for Sigmundur to be actually colluding with the bankers he put in jail.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Thomas Insaniac
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Thomas Insaniac » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:
Thomas Insaniac wrote:

Yeah it got banned at somepoint yesterday. If you search for anything like it on Chinas authorised search engine it pops up with a warning that viewing the material is a criminal offence.

Lot of South African links too, but again I think they might be in the untouchables catagory with the Saudi King and Putin.

Instead of listing untouchables, we should be listing those who will actually be affected.

Aside from the PM of Iceland, anyone else to worry about? Well except for the guy who leaked this, he'll probably be found out and found in a body bag.
Last edited by Thomas Insaniac on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Frank Zipper wrote:
Shofercia wrote:Actually, if they're blatantly lying, they can be shut down. And if you're contradicting facts, there's some probability that you're lying. The First Amendment doesn't apply outside of the United States.

The Icelandic PM resigning seems to support the accusations being true.

I was talking about Tatiana Navka, and the Guardian's buffoonish claim that she was somehow directing agents in the Isle of Man. I took no issue with the very same claim against Something-ugin. I think it was Roldugin.

Panslavicland wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Did you not read my post? From the Guardian's trash, I mean article: She used agents in the Isle of Man who wrote in emails that the company was to be used for investments.

I'd like to see proof of that. If not, Guardian's probably liable to be sued for defamation in Russia, and the Bill Clinton defense won't work.

The article you linked to has a document which shows Bridgewater, which is an Isle of Man based company as the administrators of the company Tatiana Navka is alleged to be the beneficial owner, so they would probably use that as their defence. Not that they have supplied any evidence she is actually involved besides the passport, utility bills and the verification from her bank which as you have already pointed out could have been obtained by anyone with a slight connection to her.

And even if she is the owner its still none of the Guardians business. I hope she sues for invasion of privacy. I hope its like Gawker all over again.

I doubt they can, (although I'm not a lawyer,) since the article stated that She, [as in Navka,] used agents in the Isle of Man who wrote in emails that the company was to be used for investments.

Bridgewater stated that an account was set up in her name, allegedly by her. That Guardian article didn't say "allegedly" they said that she did it. Plot twist: Navka sues them, wins, and uses another agency to hide the lawsuit's winnings :P

Except the query that's being asked is "why weren't all names released? Why are some names released and others withheld?" The query isn't "gib moar Murikans plz!" Yes, some posters pointed out the lack of quite a few American names, but the main request hasn't changed: "if this is truly about corruption, why not release all names?" The strawmanning is certainly funny to watch though. Almost as funny as that article claiming that Putin had to deny allegations, even though he wasn't directly implicated.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Thomas Insaniac wrote:
Shamhnan Insir wrote:Yeah it got banned at somepoint yesterday. If you search for anything like it on Chinas authorised search engine it pops up with a warning that viewing the material is a criminal offence.

Instead of listing untouchables, we should be listing those who will actually be affected.

Aside from the PM of Iceland, anyone else to worry about? Well except for the guy who leaked this, he'll probably be found out and found in a body bag.

The leak itself is not something I've actually read up on, it seems like it was sent to a German news group first who immediately fired it to the Investigative journalist consortium, but who was the initial source?

Corbyn made poor attempts to slag Cameron today about it, and I doubt he'll be going anywhere. There could be some interesting shifts in Ukraine though. Given the current situation with the government and the nation, more upset with the current and ex heads of government could trigger a move.
Call me Sham

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General