NATION

PASSWORD

Panama Papers thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Geilinor wrote:He's only on the list because of his role in his family's business.

which is what i've said? you can go back and read my post if you want. it'll take like 40 seconds.
— What do you mean you don't like the Khmer Rouge?

☭ THIS MACHINE TRIGGERS FASCISTS ☭

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:34 pm

don't get me wrong, i'm not just banging the same drum because macri is right-wing. i'm anxious to see how tankies explain the shitloads of money revolutionary™ leaders like gadaffi and assad had/have overseas.

Talvezout
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Talvezout » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:35 pm

Copypasting this from reddit:

The 12 heads of state are:
Mauricio Macri, president or Argentina.
Bidzina Ivanishvill. ex PM of Georgia
Sigmundur Davío Gunnlaugsson, PM of Iceland. (The something-something was me being a lazy bum, sue me)
Ayad H. Allawi, ex PM of Iraq.
Ali Abu-Ragheb, ex PM of Jordan.
Hamad Jasim J.M. Al-Thani, ex PM of Qatar.
Sheik Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar.
HM King Salman, King of Saudi Arabia
Ahmad Al-Nirghani, ex-president of Sudan
Sultan Al-Nahyan, president of the UAE.
Pavlo Lazarenko, ex-PM of Ukraine.
Petro Poroshenko, president of Ukraine.
SOURCE
Update 1: SOURCE
Mohammed VI of Morocco might also be involved. Mossack Fonseca created the company to which his personal yatch is registered.
Family members of Ilham Aliyev, president of Azerbajan also used Fonseca to manage mining and real estate investments.
8 High echelon communist party members of People's Republic of China also used their services. Xi Jinping is amongst them, who's linked to two businesses in the British Virgin Islands.
Minor update 2: SOURCE
Six members of the UK’s House of Lords, three former Conservative MPs and dozens of donors to UK political parties have had offshore assets.
Minor update 3: David Cameron possibly involved: his deceased father had obtained Fonseca's services
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
talveziobiblio.org.tz

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
Calimera II wrote:
Macri already responded to the issue. Nothing illegal. No big deal whatsoever.

i mean, he's had his name mentioned in this huge corruption scandal. it is a big deal, even if he's innocent. you can't ignore this just because you like macri.

How is it a big deal if there seems to be no problem at all?

Your comment proves my point. The facts are presented in such a way that those who are enlisted 'look' like criminals.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:don't get me wrong, i'm not just banging the same drum because macri is right-wing. i'm anxious to see how tankies explain the shitloads of money revolutionary™ leaders like gadaffi and assad had/have overseas.

I understand. That being said, I'm still inclined to believe that Macri had limited, if not any, connections to Fonseca simply because it stems more so from his family's dealings.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Major-Tom wrote:His name was mentioned. Until details arise on the extent of his involvement in all of this, I'm simply not going to engage in a kneejerk propensity to make accusations.

i don't think i'm making any accusations. pratically all i said is that macri has been implicated in all of this. in fact, iirc, i was the first to offer his perspective on the issue by repeating his official statement.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:don't get me wrong, i'm not just banging the same drum because macri is right-wing. i'm anxious to see how tankies explain the shitloads of money revolutionary™ leaders like gadaffi and assad had/have overseas.

Also the Putin lovers.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:His name was mentioned. Until details arise on the extent of his involvement in all of this, I'm simply not going to engage in a kneejerk propensity to make accusations.

i don't think i'm making any accusations. pratically all i said is that macri has been implicated in all of this. in fact, iirc, i was the first to offer his perspective on the issue by repeating his official statement.

Then I think that many of us are on the same wavelength, Calimera, myself, and you included.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

I understand. That being said, I'm still inclined to believe that Macri had limited, if not any, connections to Fonseca simply because it stems more so from his family's dealings.

True. But people will still use it against him.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Bogdanov Vishniac wrote:
Fat chance of that.
]

That's nonsense. Dictators are more corrupt than democratic leaders because there's no accountability. But David Cameron's father and the president of Argentina's family have been named.

Yeah, but learning that Putin or the other high governmental officials in Russia are corrupt isn't surprising. There's also precisely nothing we can really do about it. The issue here is that the methodology the papers are evidently using to search the documents is extremely limited in scope, designed to target famous politicians, professional athletes and other public personalities. Their intention is not, apparently, to do much actual forensic accounting at all, and have stated point blank that much of the data will never be released. Doubtless there's reams of data here on the lower-level offshoring that makes up the company's bread and butter (and doubtless there's a lot of corruption there too) but there's little indication that much will ever be done with or about it.
Last edited by Bogdanov Vishniac on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Ashworth-Attwater wrote:

Then I think that many of us are on the same wavelength, Calimera, myself, and you included.

Yup.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Calimera II wrote:How is it a big deal if there seems to be no problem at all?

Your comment proves my point. The facts are presented in such a way that those who are enlisted 'look' like criminals.

the big deal is that the name of a head of state was mentioned in a huge international corruption scandal. whether he is innocent or not remains to be seen. this however, doesn't change the fact that his name was mentioned in a — i repeat — huge international scandal. this is a big deal. do you know what a big deal is? a huge international corruption scandal could be classified as a big deal. it can't not be a big deal because you think he's innocent. this does not change the nature of the scandal.

GET. THIS. THROUGH. YOUR. HEAD.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Novus America wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

True. But people will still use it against him.

Oh god,it started.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Novus America wrote:

Also the Putin lovers.

yes, indeed

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:47 pm

The Kirchner family, also involved in this international scandal, says that the accusation is totally false.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:

the big deal is that the name of a head of state was mentioned in a huge international corruption scandal. whether he is innocent or not remains to be seen. this however, doesn't change the fact that his name was mentioned in a — i repeat — huge international scandal. this is a big deal. do you know what a big deal is? a huge international corruption scandal could be classified as a big deal. it can't not be a big deal because you think he's innocent. this does not change the nature of the scandal.

And in the media you are guilty until, and often after you are proven innocent.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Thomas Insaniac
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Thomas Insaniac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm surprised Germany is clean, honestly. Although it's probably the same case with Germany, America and other nations, they just use another company.

Thomas Insaniac
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Thomas Insaniac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:

Guilt by association is never good, investigations should happened where suspect is apparent, but everyone is innocent until proven otherwise.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Novus America wrote:
Ashworth-Attwater wrote:

And in the media you are guilty until, and often after you are proven innocent.

meh. not necessarily. i mean, depending on who's heading the government the media might not even bother to give a thorough report on the scandal.

but that's usually not the case.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Thomas Insaniac wrote:

I'm surprised Germany is clean, honestly. Although it's probably the same case with Germany, America and other nations, they just use another company.

That doesn't mean that businesses, celebrities and other important figures aren't involved, though.

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Thomas Insaniac wrote:

It's worth noting that Mossack Fonseca is the fourth-largest offshoring company in the world - just imagine what the three bigger companies ahead of it have locked up in their databases.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Some of the accusations are really far-fetched. The public outcry will be enormous, I think. The media loves these kind of stories so they will utilise it until something else bad happens.

Bogdanov Vishniac wrote:
Thomas Insaniac wrote:

It's worth noting that Mossack Fonseca is the fourth-largest offshoring company in the world - just imagine what the three bigger companies ahead of it have locked up in their databases.

Yes... that is quite scary.
Last edited by Calimera II on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:08 pm

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Good stuff, good stuff. I hope some corrupt assholes get their assholes torn a new asshole from this.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General