NATION

PASSWORD

Panama Papers thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Panama Papers thread

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:45 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844
http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/art ... c3495adf4/

BBC News wrote:Eleven million documents were leaked from one of the world's most secretive companies, Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca. They show how Mossack Fonseca has helped clients launder money, dodge sanctions and evade tax.
[...]
The documents show links to 72 current or former heads of state in the data, including dictators accused of looting their own countries.
Süddeutsche Zeitung wrote:The data provides rare insights into a world that can only exist in the shadows. It proves how a global industry led by major banks, legal firms, and asset management companies secretly manages the estates of the world’s rich and famous: from politicians, Fifa officials, fraudsters and drug smugglers, to celebrities and professional athletes.

So, NSG, Mossack Fonseca, a Panamanian law firm known for being cozy with dictators, banks, the super rich and overall international scumbags has had 2.6 terabytes of data leaked (c. 11.5 million documents, ranging from the 1970's to 2016) revealing how said scumbags use tax havens to hide their money. The families of Putin, Hosni Mubarak, Muammar Gadaffi and Bashar al-Assad are being implicated in the scandal, but perhaps most surprisingly, it seems that even the prime minister of Iceland, supposedly one of the least corrupt countries in the world, is being investigated over the purchase of an offshore company in 2007. He did not declare an interest in the company when entering parliament in 2009.

A lot of questions have been asked: where does the money come from? Where is it going? Is this structure legal? So, what do you think, fellow NSGers? Should we do more to hold the world's political and financial elite accountable? What do you think should be done about corporate law firms such as Mossack Fonseca, which is well-known for helping those people circumvent the law? Comment below.

Also, it seems Argentine neoliberal messiah Mauricio Macri's family is also implicated in this scandal. Shocking! (but not for me).
Last edited by Ashworth-Attwater on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
— What do you mean you don't like the Khmer Rouge?

☭ THIS MACHINE TRIGGERS FASCISTS ☭

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:47 pm

I doubt this will amount to much action, but then again I'm a disillusioned American, so idk.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Greater Germany
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Greater Germany » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm

This will prove as damning as the information leaked through WikiLeaks.
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Not a NatSoc (Nazi) nation, am influenced as a July 20 Widerstand state with a constitutional monarchy. Previously used Wirmer's "Resistance" flag but found my current one and like it.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:I doubt this will amount to much action, but then again I'm a disillusioned American, so idk.

oh but that much is certain. i'm just here to watch the great minds of this forum debate this issue.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:I doubt this will amount to much action, but then again I'm a disillusioned American, so idk.

oh but that much is certain. i'm just here to watch the great minds of this forum debate this issue.

You'd have to find them first.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
Also, it seems Argentine neoliberal messiah Mauricio Macri's family is also implicated in this scandal. Shocking! (but not for me).

And the father of Cameron; and the president of Ukraine; and Saudi Arabian Kings; and several Icelandic ministers and the Icelandic Prime Minister; members of British parliament are also mentioned.

Being mentioned doesn't mean a crime was actually committed whatsoever.

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:55 pm

David Cameron's dad too.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Ashworth-Attwater wrote:

And the father of Cameron; and the president of Ukraine; and Saudi Arabian Kings; and several Icelandic ministers and the Icelandic Prime Minister; members of British parliament are also mentioned.

i wonder why mossack fonseca would mention him out of the blue lol it's not like they have any interest in screwing him over.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013

Postby Calimera II » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
Calimera II wrote:

i wonder why mossack fonseca would mention him out of the blue lol it's not like they have any interest in screwing him over.

So being mentioned means you committed a crime?

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Ashworth-Attwater wrote:

So being mentioned means you committed a crime?

that's not what I said, my dear friend. i didn't even say macri himself was personally involved in this. what I said is that it would be weird for the law firm to mention him out of nowhere if he didn't have ties to them. still, macri actually presided over fleg trading which is managed by mossack fonseca. iirc, he denied owning shares in the company but admitted that his family does (which is what i said: "mauricio macri's family is implicated in the scandal). if it makes you feel better, the kirchner also are. and messi.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Multiple calls for snap elections have been made in Iceland over the revelations. Pirate party government soon?

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:30 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/ap ... ama-papers
How much data has been leaked?
A lot. The leak is one of the biggest ever – larger than the US diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks in 2010, and the secret intelligence documents given to journalists by Edward Snowden in 2013. There are 11.5m documents and 2.6 terabytes of information drawn from Mossack Fonseca’s internal database.

Damn.

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Maybe putting (bigger than wiki leaks) in the title will grab peoples attention?
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
Calimera II wrote:

I wonder why they'd mention David Cameon's dad and Icelandic politicians then lol. :roll:
Last edited by Geilinor on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Ashworth-Attwater wrote:
Calimera II wrote:So being mentioned means you committed a crime?

that's not what I said, my dear friend. i didn't even say macri himself was personally involved in this. what I said is that it would be weird for the law firm to mention him out of nowhere if he didn't have ties to them. still, macri actually presided over fleg trading which is managed by mossack fonseca. iirc, he denied owning shares in the company but admitted that his family does (which is what i said: "mauricio macri's family is implicated in the scandal). if it makes you feel better, the kirchner also are. and messi.

If all kinds of people are implicated then why specifically only mention the people you don't like?

Ashworth-Attwater
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashworth-Attwater » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Geilinor wrote:I wonder why they'd mention David Cameon's dad and Icelandic politicians then lol. :roll:

isn't that what i'm saying? i'm lost

Geilinor wrote:If all kinds of people are implicated then why specifically only mention the people you don't like?

lol there's literally loads of people who i dislike who are implicated in this.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:50 pm

That is unsurprising. Who cares though? There are plenty of ez pz ways to "reduce" your tax bill. Loopholes aren't illegal. Its like calling yourself a contractor to write off more stuff on your business bill or labeling your car to write it off as "advertising expenses". Everybody takes deductions, breaks or loopholes of some sort. Hell, if I had enough money, I'd hire somebody to comb through and play games with the tax code too. Unfortunately I have to do it myself at the moment.

Whether or not we should reform the tax code to remove these loopholes is another matter.

Pro-tip: I support fixing the tax codes. A no loophole tax code with reduced overall rates would save us money in compliance costs and more revenue would be brought in as well.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:50 pm

i lust for tory blood

(metaphorically not literally)
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Krumbia
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Krumbia » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:54 pm

If this brings down the Icelandic PM/government within the next couple of weeks, which it has the power to do (a no confidence vote will be tabled tomorrow), then this could have huge implications, especially as the Pirate Party are leading massively in the polls and have been since April 2015. If it doesn't bring them down, this will still increase the Pirates' support ahead of the scheduled election next year.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:36 pm

The papers reveal that Putin has helped his friends and advisors become rich to the tune of $2 billion.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/panama-papers-money-hidden-offshore
Last edited by Geilinor on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Guess Putin's gonna have to buy some more polonium 210 tea bags.

Werftkrieg
Envoy

Founded: Feb 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Werftkrieg » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Esternial wrote:Guess Putin's gonna have to buy some more polonium 210 tea bags.

Pretty much.
# Cromwell2016
Hoping that the Bolshevist vermin cancel out the Kluxer vermin.

Free Karjala!

REMEMBER THE STORY OF CONNIE AND CLYDE!
RIP Castlemaine, you were awesome.
#GayforGerardWay
#Objectivistsin2020
#NotDemagoguesNotDumbasses

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Panama Papers Discussion Thread

Postby Tule » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:08 pm

The biggest data leak in history was revealed today.

2.6 terabytes of data containing 11.5 million documents were leaked from the Panama-based law firm Mossack Fonseca, which specializes in offshore tax havens.

400 journalists from 80 countries have reviewed the documents for the past year and today they released their first batch of previously undisclosed assets secretly belonging to various officials around the world.

As of today the names of 140 prominent individuals have been released, including current country leaders such as the President of Argentina Macri, King Salman of Saudi Arabia, Prime Minister Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson of Iceland and President Poroshenko of Ukraine.

Numerous high ranking Russian officials have also been mentioned.

What are your thoughts on the issue NSG?

Personally it came as a shock to me that our Prime Minister here in Iceland has concealed millions of dollars in assets from tax authorities. Such extreme corruption at this level of government is completely unprecedented here. A motion of no confidence is expected to be brought up at tomorrows session of Parliament.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Esternial wrote:Guess Putin's gonna have to buy some more polonium 210 tea bags.

Putin caught doing something corrupt?

Oh my stars!
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General