NATION

PASSWORD

The Easternal Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:so you can compromise, a bad trait in an american politican thesedays

Because America needs strong and relentless leadership with no room for compromise. You know, like Dzjengis Khan. Submit or get slaughtered!

anticipating the clinton -- trump debates, are we.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:If you had the opportunity to skip eighth grade and go right into High School as a 12 year old Freshman, would you do it?

no, he will have no peers his age in the school. get him more challenging work to do, but his social life will suffer in a high school.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Because America needs strong and relentless leadership with no room for compromise. You know, like Dzjengis Khan. Submit or get slaughtered!

anticipating the clinton -- trump debates, are we.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put them in the same room together. That many lies in one building could cause total existence failure.

...On second thought...
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Arumdaum wrote:Don't really have anywhere to post this but... voted for the first time! :D

Today is the day you became a citizen.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:If you had the opportunity to skip eighth grade and go right into High School as a 12 year old Freshman, would you do it?

no, he will have no peers his age in the school. get him more challenging work to do, but his social life will suffer in a high school.

Yes, hence the quandary. He's already a year younger. This would be two.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:anticipating the clinton -- trump debates, are we.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put them in the same room together. That many lies in one building could cause total existence failure.

...On second thought...

i would like to continue to exist, thank you very much.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

...On second thought...

Perhaps the damage will be limited to just that building, city and/or state. :unsure:

Hunter S. Thompson

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:no, he will have no peers his age in the school. get him more challenging work to do, but his social life will suffer in a high school.

which is why i would lean against it. how does the kid feel?

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:I went as a Thirteen year old freshman if it helps

How was it?

Keeping my personal qualms out of the equation, it was okay, I guess. The whole year was somewhat stressful, and I didn't really get the math as much, but it was okay regardless

Math is not my strongsuit
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Perhaps the damage will be limited to just that building, city and/or state. :unsure:

i am thinking not. can singularity be localized/

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:no, he will have no peers his age in the school. get him more challenging work to do, but his social life will suffer in a high school.

Just to confirm Ethel's stance, I've had a few child progenies come into my classroom and they have almost universally struggled to avoid needing a teacher to watch them so they weren't bullied let alone fitting in. There's something to be said for letting him be bored for a few more years with his own age as long as you keep a good work ethic instilled in him.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
My TG box is for friends, not food
Feel like making a direct change rather than just bickering over crises?
Help give orphaned children a safe environment to grow
Combat Homelessness

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

which is why i would lean against it. how does the kid feel?

He just found out this week, and he's uncertain. For him, it means getting out of school in 4 years instead of 5. But it also means leaving his friends behind in Jr High. He's also apprehensive about being so young in High School. He fits very nicely into lockers.

Hunter S. Thompson

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Gallade wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Just to confirm Ethel's stance, I've had a few child progenies come into my classroom and they have almost universally struggled to avoid needing a teacher to watch them so they weren't bullied let alone fitting in. There's something to be said for letting him be bored for a few more years with his own age as long as you keep a good work ethic instilled in him.

He's an academic omnivore. He loves to learn new things.

Hunter S. Thompson

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

i am thinking not. can singularity be localized/

Probably not.

Hunter S. Thompson

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Gallade wrote:Just to confirm Ethel's stance, I've had a few child progenies come into my classroom and they have almost universally struggled to avoid needing a teacher to watch them so they weren't bullied let alone fitting in. There's something to be said for letting him be bored for a few more years with his own age as long as you keep a good work ethic instilled in him.

get him extra work, or divert him to other projects, like getting your ass back with science.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Gallade
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Gallade wrote:Just to confirm Ethel's stance, I've had a few child progenies come into my classroom and they have almost universally struggled to avoid needing a teacher to watch them so they weren't bullied let alone fitting in. There's something to be said for letting him be bored for a few more years with his own age as long as you keep a good work ethic instilled in him.

Which is fantastic. Keep him well stocked with learning material, but a second grade jump (age wise if not literally) is really pushing it in my opinion.

Do you do adult education courses at 16 over there? Maybe something to consider if the last few years are dragging for him, he could earn an extra few qualifications after state school hours.
Last edited by Gallade on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| Miss me with that factional BS || RIP Dyakovo. You were a true friend, you will be forever missed. ||

Français, en guerriers magnanimes, portez ou retenez vos coups! Épargnez ces tristes victimes à regret s'armant contre nous
My TG box is for friends, not food
Feel like making a direct change rather than just bickering over crises?
Help give orphaned children a safe environment to grow
Combat Homelessness

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

get him extra work, or divert him to other projects, like getting your ass back with science.

I've already been yelled at by his teachers a couple times about teaching him at home. Of course, their convenience is not my problem. I was thinking about helping him build his own catapult this summer.

Hunter S. Thompson

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Gallade wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Which is fantastic. Keep him well stocked with learning material, but a second grade jump (age wise if not literally) is really pushing it in my opinion.

Do you do adult education courses at 16 over there? Maybe something to consider if the last few years are dragging for him, he could earn an extra few qualifications after state school hours.

that's a good idea, get him in a night school class, he will probably not be beat up.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

I've already been yelled at by his teachers a couple times about teaching him at home. Of course, their convenience is not my problem. I was thinking about helping him build his own catapult this summer.

heh, that happened to me, dad got his degree through night school, he took a history course on the civil war, we were studying the civil war, i read his text books. he got a call from the school, keep ethel out of your books.

edit : dad was pleased, but he told me to shut up in school.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Gallade wrote:Which is fantastic. Keep him well stocked with learning material, but a second grade jump (age wise if not literally) is really pushing it in my opinion.

that's a good idea, get him in a night school class, he will probably not be beat up.

Interesting.

Hunter S. Thompson

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

heh, that happened to me, dad got his degree through night school, he took a history course on the civil war, we were studying the civil war, i read his text books. he got a call from the school, keep ethel out of your books.

Proper response: "Get Bent."

Hunter S. Thompson

Yoite
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yoite » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Gallade wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

If I may, as a potential child prodigy, my parents failed to instill the good work ethic and as it (the school work) became more challenging I lost the lead I had on my peers until I was struggling behind them with no idea how to learn.
Last edited by Yoite on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<NO PROBLEM IS INSOLUBLE IN ALL CONCEIVABLE CIRCUMSTANCES.> - Cosmic AC

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Gallade wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

The next generation of Goofballs are going to be unstoppable!

Hunter S. Thompson

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:heh, that happened to me, dad got his degree through night school, he took a history course on the civil war, we were studying the civil war, i read his text books. he got a call from the school, keep ethel out of your books.

i am not so sure, got to consider the other kids. dont want to make a teacher look like an idiot without a good reason too.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

i am not so sure, got to consider the other kids. dont want to make a teacher look like an idiot without a good reason too.

Don't we? ;)

Hunter S. Thompson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General