NATION

PASSWORD

North Carolina Passes "Anti-LGBT" Bill

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

bill?

yeh
29%
neh
58%
weh?
6%
eh
7%

Total votes : 742

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 3:03 am

New Owca wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
*sigh* As that one quiz someone brought up, the spectrum of gender isn't considered signatory by some people.

And, really, it isn't... That's why it's a spectrum, and not boxy classifications.

For example, I'm apparently very queer when it comes to my gender. Didn't think about myself that way before, actually.

That quiz was awful. It thought one couldn't be both transgender and either Male or Female.

As I said... There's no such thing as a rigid gender.

The human being assumes many personas as a part of it's own personality.

Human beings don't just wear masks to play a part momentarily. The masks are part of who we are.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Owca
Envoy

Founded: May 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 3:09 am

Philjia wrote:
New Owca wrote:
That quiz was awful. It thought one couldn't be both transgender and either Male or Female.

Regardless, there are different identities other than male and female; there's androgynous, genderfluid, and genderqueer, for example, all of which fall between male and female but in different ways, and a lot of people will lean more towards male or female.

Gah! You hear me, man? Gah!
Androgenous refers to having a mix of both male and female qualities. It is NOT a sexual identity in and of itself!

But before we get into Genderqueer and Genderfluid, one has to ask, what makes one "masculine" or "feminine" other than what lies between their legs? This is something which has never been explained adequately to me and I genuinely hope you can explain it.

For example, I am biologically male. However, I have a rather "feminine" face and have often been called girly in terms of my interests. So what does that make me? I am happy with being male, I'm not uncomfortable in my own skin. I just happen to look, act and sound quite girlish.
We don't use NS stats.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 3:15 am

New Owca wrote:
Philjia wrote:
Regardless, there are different identities other than male and female; there's androgynous, genderfluid, and genderqueer, for example, all of which fall between male and female but in different ways, and a lot of people will lean more towards male or female.

Androgenous refers to having a mix of both male and female qualities. It is NOT a sexual identity in and of itself!

But before we get into Genderqueer and Genderfluid, one has to ask, what makes one "masculine" or "feminine" other than what lies between their legs? This is something which has never been explained adequately to me and I genuinely hope you can explain it.

For example, I am biologically male. However, I have a rather "feminine" face and have often been called girly in terms of my interests. So what does that make me? I am happy with being male, I'm not uncomfortable in my own skin. I just happen to look, act and sound quite girlish.

Androgyny encompasses lots of things... Among them a sexual identity.

... Well, how you feel you fit into your body. Some people don't feel male, female, or in between, or they do.

... Nothing. You're a bishounen, but just having slightly feminine features doesn't automatically make you androgynous. Some girls are into that, along with some men.

... So, tell me, how would you look in a skirt, would you say? Could you pass for a girl? :D

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 3:18 am

The Rich Port wrote:
New Owca wrote:

... Well, how you feel you fit into your body. Some people don't feel male, female, or in between, or they do.

... Nothing. You're a bishounen, but just having slightly feminine features doesn't automatically make you androgynous. Some girls are into that, along with some men.

... So, tell me, how would you look in a skirt, would you say? Could you pass for a girl? :D

But what IS male and female? Besides physical traits, what makes one male or female or both or neither?

I never wore a skirt before - a kilt to a wedding, once - but I have been mistaken for a girl before.
We don't use NS stats.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 3:20 am

New Owca wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

But what IS male and female? Besides physical traits, what makes one male or female or both or neither?

I never wore a skirt before - a kilt to a wedding, once - but I have been mistaken for a girl before.

Your brain... Which is what gender is. Some people feel they are women, others men, and it doesn't depend solely on their genitals.

... You doing anything Friday. :p

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 am

The Rich Port wrote:
New Owca wrote:

Your brain... Which is what gender is. Some people feel they are women, others men, and it doesn't depend solely on their genitals.

But what does that MEAN? What is "feeling they are a woman"?

Not you. >:(
We don't use NS stats.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Tue May 17, 2016 3:24 am

New Owca wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

It means the part of the brain that tells them whether they are a man or a woman tells them, as a transgender, that they are a woman with male parts, or a man with woman parts. And sometimes, depending on how much their brain tells them this, they get a surgery to convert their bodies to conform with what their brains tell them.

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 3:27 am

The V O I D wrote:
New Owca wrote:

It means the part of the brain that tells them whether they are a man or a woman tells them, as a transgender, that they are a woman with male parts, or a man with woman parts. And sometimes, depending on how much their brain tells them this, they get a surgery to convert their bodies to conform with what their brains tell them.

So your brain tells you you're something you're not, like says you're a woman when you're a man... okay, that kinda makes sense...
We don't use NS stats.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Tue May 17, 2016 3:28 am

New Owca wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

So your brain tells you you're something you're not, like says you're a woman when you're a man... okay, that kinda makes sense...

No. If the part of your brain that identifies your gender tells you that you're a woman, and you're a transgender, then you are a woman. It's not something "they aren't."
It's basically as if you're putting a woman's brain in a man's body and telling them to accept that "they're men" by saying that.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 3:30 am

New Owca wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

... That is, if you feel comfortable according to what your genitalia is. Some people do, some people don't.

Mostly joking since you're probably straight, but also to make a point.

I'm a big hairy man, sure, but someone was kind enough to give me the word gynephilia. I'm attracted to femininity, whether it's exhibited by men or women. For a long time, I thought was just straight up heterosexual, since I was attracted to women primarily, but, as time went on, I learned more and more that I had a... Queer attraction to men who were very feminine as well, and could overlook the more obvious blocks in my attraction towards them... You know, their fruit and veg.

It technically makes me bisexual, but not quite. I still identify as male, but it doesn't mean men or women I'm attracted to see themselves as such.

If our genitalia determined who we were attracted to (males attracted to females and vice versa), we wouldn't need this conversation.

But the brain is a vast universe we haven't fully explored.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 3:32 am

The Rich Port wrote:
New Owca wrote:

... That is, if you feel comfortable according to what your genitalia is. Some people do, some people don't.

I'm a big hairy man, sure, but someone was kind enough to give me the word gynephilia. I'm attracted to femininity, whether it's exhibited by men or women. For a long time, I thought was just straight up heterosexual, since I was attracted to women primarily, but, as time went on, I learned more and more that I had a... Queer attraction to men who were very feminine as well, and could overlook the more obvious blocks in my attraction towards them... You know, their fruit and veg.

It technically makes me bisexual, but not quite. I still identify as male, but it doesn't mean men or women I'm attracted to see themselves as such.

If our genitalia determined who we were attracted to (males attracted to females and vice versa), we wouldn't need this conversation.

Pretty sure EVERYONE is Bisexual to some degree.
We don't use NS stats.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 3:33 am

New Owca wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Pretty sure EVERYONE is Bisexual to some degree.

Well... Yeah, sexuality is a spectrum, so maybe.

But most people don't ask questions out of fear or shame or confusion.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Tue May 17, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 3:36 am

The V O I D wrote:
New Owca wrote:

No. If the part of your brain that identifies your gender tells you that you're a woman, and you're a transgender, then you are a woman. It's not something "they aren't."
It's basically as if you're putting a woman's brain in a man's body and telling them to accept that "they're men" by saying that.

What? What IS a woman's brain and how is it different from a man's brain?
That's like saying people who get suntanned or bleached skin are Trans-racial!
We don't use NS stats.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 3:38 am

New Owca wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

... I wasn't aware exposure to Sol could change your personality...

Race is only skin-deep... Gender isn't.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Tue May 17, 2016 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 3:54 am

The Rich Port wrote:
New Owca wrote:

Implying that Gender changes personality....
We don't use NS stats.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 3:56 am

New Owca wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

... Your gender IS part of your personality... It's a part of who you are.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 17, 2016 4:00 am

New Owca wrote:
The V O I D wrote:

No, there are some differences between the male and female brain, for instance the sizes of different regions on average tend to be different. Another difference is the concentration of grey matter in certain regions. Mtf tend to be studied more and they found that mtf tended to be in the female range.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 4:05 am

The Rich Port wrote:
New Owca wrote:

... Your gender IS part of your personality... It's a part of who you are.

???

That doesn't make any sense...
We don't use NS stats.

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 4:06 am

Neutraligon wrote:
New Owca wrote:

No, there are some differences between the male and female brain, for instance the sizes of different regions on average tend to be different. Another difference is the concentration of grey matter in certain regions. Mtf tend to be studied more and they found that mtf tended to be in the female range.

Right, so there is a physical difference, Si?
We don't use NS stats.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 17, 2016 4:11 am

New Owca wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

According to multiple studies yes.
Just A Little though

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 4:13 am

Neutraligon wrote:
New Owca wrote:

Grand. That can be worked with. I understand better now.
We don't use NS stats.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue May 17, 2016 4:15 am

New Owca wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

basically the brain is what make you who you are, including how you think of yourself. In the end it is "simply" brain activity. it is hardly surprising that how one views one sex is also a part of this. Of course how one views ones sex, and the sex the person actually has need not be the same, which would explain being trans. What makes it worse is that all this gets mixed up with gender roles and societies expectations for you because you are born to a particular sex. So not only does how your brain view yourself differ from what your body actually is, society itself has views on who you should be because your body is a certain way, even as your brain is telling you no it is not that way.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Noraika
Minister

Founded: Nov 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Noraika » Tue May 17, 2016 6:44 am

New Owca wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

There's a lot of different theories in place, but overall what is understood is that there is an aspect and subconscious function which is called 'Gender Identity'. This is a subconscious aspect of an individual, which is how the subconscious identifies itself as either being male or female. Gender identity isn't typically something a person is consciously aware of because it usually conforms to that individuals physical sex, but Transgender individuals have a gender identity which does not match their physical sex, which causes this subconscious aspect to become a lot more apparent. That's the bare bones definition. :)
Last edited by Noraika on Tue May 17, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
TRANSEQUALITY~
~ Economic Left -9.38 | Social Libertarian -2.77 ~
~ 93 Equality - 36 Liberty - 50 Stability ~

Democratic Socialism ● Egalitarianism ● Feminism ● LGBT+ rights ● Monarchism ● Social Justice ● Souverainism ● Statism

Pronouns: She/Her ♀️
Pagan and proud! ⛦
Gender and sex aren't the same thing!

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 17, 2016 6:45 am

New Owca wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

You seem to have a problem with basically conceptualizing it, let alone understanding the psychology behind it...

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Owca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby New Owca » Tue May 17, 2016 6:46 am

The Rich Port wrote:
New Owca wrote:

You seem to have a problem with basically conceptualizing it, let alone understanding the psychology behind it...

Please don't mess my head up even more...
We don't use NS stats.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General