NATION

PASSWORD

Social isolation, healthcare, and entitlements

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Icthyia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I think you are forgetting the brief period of history where economic conditions allowed this small base of people to essentially stage a coup d'etat?

Moreover, isn't the duty of a government to look after the well-being of its citizens?

None of those people were in positions of power. People do not rally themselves to social outcasts.

But social outcasts are easy to appeal to. Including by quite dangerous people. That's essentially how cults and terrorist groups recruit.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Icthyia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Icthyia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Icthyia wrote:None of those people were in positions of power. People do not rally themselves to social outcasts.

But social outcasts are easy to appeal to. Including by quite dangerous people. That's essentially how cults and terrorist groups recruit.

And these people do not overthrow governments. You require far more support than that.
IDI AMIN FOR SECRETARY GENERAL

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm

Icthyia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I think you are forgetting the brief period of history where economic conditions allowed this small base of people to essentially stage a coup d'etat?

Moreover, isn't the duty of a government to look after the well-being of its citizens?

None of those people were in positions of power. People do not rally themselves to social outcasts.

Sure, but this is an unreasonable intrusion on private life. Mental counseling and what not for those with serious mental problems is about the limit.

I suggest you read on Hitler and Goebbels' lives. They were pretty hardcore social outcasts. Which reinforces my point about how being isolated for long-periods of time will cause one to develop views very different and antagonistic to those of the rest of society.

Moreover, with such a large group of people existing, it would be more than large enough to cause to cause damage on its own without outside help.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Icthyia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Icthyia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:03 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:I suggest you read on Hitler and Goebbels' lives. They were pretty hardcore social outcasts. Which reinforces my point about how being isolated for long-periods of time will cause one to develop views very different and antagonistic to those of the rest of society.

Hitler was not a social outcast. He was an impoverished man with strong political opinions. All of his problems originated from factors other than social awkwardness, which he obviously didn't have, considering he got his position on charisma alone.
United Marxist Nations wrote:Moreover, with such a large group of people existing, it would be more than large enough to cause to cause damage on its own without outside help.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:07 pm

Icthyia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I suggest you read on Hitler and Goebbels' lives. They were pretty hardcore social outcasts. Which reinforces my point about how being isolated for long-periods of time will cause one to develop views very different and antagonistic to those of the rest of society.

Hitler was not a social outcast. He was an impoverished man with strong political opinions. All of his problems originated from factors other than social awkwardness, which he obviously didn't have, considering he got his position on charisma alone.

I've overcome social anxiety/social awkwardness before. That's not really how it works.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:10 pm

Icthyia wrote:

United Marxist Nations wrote:Moreover, with such a large group of people existing, it would be more than large enough to cause to cause damage on its own without outside help.

He had like two friends, over the entirety of his life before he came into power. Almost everyone who knew him remembered his social awkwardness. I specifically recall some recollections of a roommate and childhood friend of his, as well as some people who lived in the same trench as him during the war.

The number of young males who won't be able to marry because of demographic imbalance between the sexes.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:13 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Icthyia wrote:Hitler was not a social outcast. He was an impoverished man with strong political opinions. All of his problems originated from factors other than social awkwardness, which he obviously didn't have, considering he got his position on charisma alone.

He had like two friends, over the entirety of his life before he came into power. Almost everyone who knew him remembered his social awkwardness. I specifically recall some recollections of a roommate and childhood friend of his, as well as some people who lived in the same trench as him during the war.

The number of young males who won't be able to marry because of demographic imbalance between the sexes.

Does this take into account higher male mortality rates? Because it seems like that should be able to account for most of it on an international scale.

Icthyia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Icthyia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:17 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:He had like two friends, over the entirety of his life before he came into power. Almost everyone who knew him remembered his social awkwardness.

They remembered he was an insufferable asshole.
United Marxist Nations wrote: I specifically recall some recollections of a roommate and childhood friend of his, as well as some people who lived in the same trench as him during the war.

Because he kept pushing his political points.
United Marxist Nations wrote:The number of young males who won't be able to marry because of demographic imbalance between the sexes.

What imbalance, you mean the one where there are more women than men?

Getting a girlfriend isn't that hard.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Diopolis wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:He had like two friends, over the entirety of his life before he came into power. Almost everyone who knew him remembered his social awkwardness. I specifically recall some recollections of a roommate and childhood friend of his, as well as some people who lived in the same trench as him during the war.

Does this take into account higher male mortality rates? Because it seems like that should be able to account for most of it on an international scale.

Females only become the majority when you get around age 40, IIRC.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:20 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Esternial wrote:Government-issued kittens?

You have the right to be fucking adorable.

Puppies. Of proper dogs, none of that terrier nonsense.

But they're cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbyVJlSu1XI
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:22 pm

Icthyia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:He had like two friends, over the entirety of his life before he came into power. Almost everyone who knew him remembered his social awkwardness.

1) They remembered he was an insufferable asshole.
United Marxist Nations wrote: I specifically recall some recollections of a roommate and childhood friend of his, as well as some people who lived in the same trench as him during the war.

2) Because he kept pushing his political points.
United Marxist Nations wrote:The number of young males who won't be able to marry because of demographic imbalance between the sexes.

3) What imbalance, you mean the one where there are more women than men?

4) Getting a girlfriend isn't that hard.

1) Actually, all the ones I have read have an atmosphere of pity to them.
2) Again, none of the accounts I have read seemed to hate him; they mainly talked about how he just had no friends. He discussed politics because it was the only thing he had an opinion on.
3) Until you reach middle and old age, males have a substantial majority.
4) :rofl: Sure it isn't.

Reagan-land
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Reagan-land » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:23 pm

So the government is going to providing free counselours...? That's interesting. I mean if your going to take everyone's money away via economic welfare you mine as well blow there money on counselors while your at it. Way I see it the welfare state oughta be minimized, or replaced with a hypothetical "basic income" at the LEAST. Welfare is just a silly concept for countries with large population....

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:25 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Icthyia wrote:Hitler was not a social outcast. He was an impoverished man with strong political opinions. All of his problems originated from factors other than social awkwardness, which he obviously didn't have, considering he got his position on charisma alone.

There is also some evidence to suggest that homosexuality and asexuality are more prevalent among men than women
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:27 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:He had like two friends, over the entirety of his life before he came into power. Almost everyone who knew him remembered his social awkwardness. I specifically recall some recollections of a roommate and childhood friend of his, as well as some people who lived in the same trench as him during the war.

There is also some evidence to suggest that homosexuality and asexuality are more prevalent among men than women

Not to such a degree as to completely eradicate the numbers. Even if under 1 percent of the population is in such a state, then it would still be a few millions of people.

New confederate ramenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New confederate ramenia » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Souns good
probando

Setgavarius
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Setgavarius » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Interesting. But you'll find me a bit of a perv.
The Planetary Administration of Setgavarius,
The World of Snark

Core Colony of The United Colonies of Earth.

Renewed Imperial Germany
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Renewed Imperial Germany » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:13 pm

The effect of social isolation can be seen in the trans suicide rate. Transpeople are often ostracized from society due to their identities (which is not the mention the active bullying that often occurs on top of this), and this drives up suicidal tendencies among our community. Sadly, that only makes the issue worse, cause the ones causing the problem just loooooove to use that suicide rate as proof that its a "degenerative mental illness" that needs "therapy not hormones" (although hormones are shown to greatly reduce suicidal tendencies). So yeah, it makes sense that social isolation would hurt someone mentally.
Bailey Quinn, Nice ta meet ya! (Female Pronouns Please)
Also known as Harley
NS Stats are not used here.
<3 Alex's NS Wife <3
Normal is a setting on the dryer

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General