NATION

PASSWORD

GOP Primary Megathread III: Third Time's A Charm

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you support in the General Election?

Donald Trump (Republican Nominee)
32%
Hillary Clinton (Presumptive Democratic Nominee)
37%
None/3rd Party/Other
32%

Total votes : 301

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun May 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Gauthier wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:
Why? The two party system bars third parties and forces them to spend loads of money simply to stay on the ballot. Campaign welfare is partial restitution for this.

A party with a platform to abolish welfare accepting welfare to get elected. That's a lot like Clarence Thomas getting into college on affirmative action then trying to shut the door behind himself.

I don't see it as welfare - I see it as restitution, in the same way having the state pay back money to people it might of hurt. From a utilitarian perspective, using money to allow saving money in the future may be justified. Nobody is stupid enough to turn it down.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Robert Bork
Envoy

Founded: Feb 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Bork » Sun May 29, 2016 11:59 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Robert Bork wrote:
Would you rather have the dog or the guy who's pulling the leash?

No.

Oh damn well I guess I'll count on Hillary Clinton to solve it then.
Peter Kenez, Historian wrote:"The Bolsheviks...thought of propaganda as part of education.""

Silly Shofercia wrote: Soviet Education teaches people to not make claims that they cannot back up.

Robert Bork
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Bork » Mon May 30, 2016 12:02 am

Gauthier wrote:
Robert Bork wrote:
That's really overstated. I don't think you get from silly Twitter posts to putting your finger on a the nuclear launch button.

And all those people who said he was going to be a flash in the pan again were dead wrong. Care to wager nuclear retaliation and replacing Best Korea as global pariah on that?

Yeah and Obama's going to declare martial law and give himself a third term any day now.
Peter Kenez, Historian wrote:"The Bolsheviks...thought of propaganda as part of education.""

Silly Shofercia wrote: Soviet Education teaches people to not make claims that they cannot back up.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon May 30, 2016 12:03 am

Robert Bork wrote:Yeah and Obama's going to declare martial law and give himself a third term any day now.

This is a joke, right? The sad part is it is hard to tell at this point.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Robert Bork
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Bork » Mon May 30, 2016 12:06 am

Corrian wrote:
Robert Bork wrote:Yeah and Obama's going to declare martial law and give himself a third term any day now.

I'm mocking a political fringe theory with another political fringe theory.

Robert Bork
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Robert Bork » Mon May 30, 2016 12:09 am

Geilinor wrote:Trump believes that the drought in California is a conspiracy. http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36404323
Mr Trump told an earlier rally in Fresno that California had "no drought", despite the state seeing its driest ever four-year period.
After speaking to farmers who complained of a lack of water for crops, he said: "They don't understand, nobody understands it. There is no drought. They turn the water out into the ocean."

As somebody who attended the rally, and lives in the city, I can add some context. Basically, we have a lot of water going out from rivers into the oceans, because that's the fucking water cycle. Trump was suggesting that we divert some of that water to the farms instead of letting it go out into the Bay. But the environmentalists don't like this because it would threaten the delta smelt and some other people have claims on the water rights upstream. So I wouldn't say he's calling it a conspiracy.
Last edited by Robert Bork on Mon May 30, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon May 30, 2016 6:28 am

Corrian wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:I think Gallo already confirmed Trump is his joke on humanity.

That said, I washed my hands of the whole affair ages ago. I'll be writing in Karl Franz, or potentially ol Kasich.

Vote Johnson damn it! He might get to debate with enough support, or at least get federal funding for the party.

why would anyone want that? he would only make it harder to highlight trump's faults in a debate.
whatever

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon May 30, 2016 6:31 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Corrian wrote:Vote Johnson damn it! He might get to debate with enough support, or at least get federal funding for the party.

why would anyone want that?

Johnson wants votes? ;)
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon May 30, 2016 6:44 am

Corrian wrote:

itll big soon enough. I haven't been paying attention that long but it was a solid theory in bill Clinton's last year in office AND George bush's last year in office. I see no reason why it wont be popular this time around too.
whatever

Unified Governments
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Governments » Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 am

You know, I can tell if I want Bernie to drop out yet. On the one hand he has no chance and his supporters are annoying. On the other hand the longer he stays in the more chinks he puts in Hillary's armor. And he's single-handedly tearing the party apart. He has enough balls to endorse DWS's opponent. Glorious to witness.

And people thought the GOP was divided? Reince Preibus practically has no opposition.
Last edited by Unified Governments on Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Alliance of Unified Governments
I, Pencil
Yes, nuking Japan was justified
"When you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor." - Bernie Sanders
Remember, people once rioted over pumpkins

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon May 30, 2016 7:18 am

Unified Governments wrote:You know, I can tell if I want Bernie to drop out yet. On the one hand he has no chance and his supporters are annoying. On the other hand the longer he stays in the more chinks he puts in Hillary's armor. And he's single-handedly tearing the party apart. He has enough balls to endorse DWS's opponent. Glorious to witness.

And people thought the GOP was divided? Reince Preibus practically has no opposition.

So by this information, Bernie should stay in the race for as long as need be.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Unified Governments
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Governments » Mon May 30, 2016 7:20 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Unified Governments wrote:You know, I can tell if I want Bernie to drop out yet. On the one hand he has no chance and his supporters are annoying. On the other hand the longer he stays in the more chinks he puts in Hillary's armor. And he's single-handedly tearing the party apart. He has enough balls to endorse DWS's opponent. Glorious to witness.

So by this information, Bernie should stay in the race for as long as need be.

Absolutely if he helps Trump. Go on, feel the bern baby. Bern it up. Bern it the fuck down. Steal votes from Hillary. Become the new Ralph Nader.
I, Pencil
"When you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor." - Bernie Sanders

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon May 30, 2016 7:23 am

Unified Governments wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:So by this information, Bernie should stay in the race for as long as need be.

Absolutely if he helps Trump. Go on, feel the bern baby. Bern it up. Bern it the fuck down. Steal votes from Hillary. Become the new Ralph Nader.

I really can't see this election going anywhere but through Congress.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Unified Governments
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Governments » Mon May 30, 2016 7:25 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Unified Governments wrote:Absolutely if he helps Trump. Go on, feel the bern baby. Bern it up. Bern it the fuck down. Steal votes from Hillary. Become the new Ralph Nader.

Two of the most unpopular candidates in a long time. Yeah, I can see this being Bush vs Gore all over again.
I, Pencil

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Mon May 30, 2016 7:46 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Unified Governments wrote:Absolutely if he helps Trump. Go on, feel the bern baby. Bern it up. Bern it the fuck down. Steal votes from Hillary. Become the new Ralph Nader.

With the possible exception of the more deluded Tea Baggers, nobody on either side wants that scenario. Democrats because obviously the Republican House is going to give it t Trump. Republicans because Trump and they would have zero credibility or legitimacy of any kind in the eyes of anyone except their own diehards. Democrats would make the last 6 years look like a glowing era of bipartisan productivity with their stonewalling, and the best case for the GOP Would be going nuclear on the filibuster and getting Trump to rubber stamp as much as possible before the inevitable midterm backlash.

Gore vs. Bush would look like a minor disagreement between old friends by comparison.
Last edited by Myrensis on Mon May 30, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon May 30, 2016 8:14 am

Myrensis wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I really can't see this election going anywhere but through Congress.

With the possible exception of the more deluded Tea Baggers, nobody on either side wants that scenario. Democrats because obviously the Republican House is going to give it t Trump. Republicans because Trump and they would have zero credibility or legitimacy of any kind in the eyes of anyone except their own diehards. Democrats would make the last 6 years look like a glowing era of bipartisan productivity with their stonewalling, and the best case for the GOP Would be going nuclear on the filibuster and getting Trump to rubber stamp as much as possible before the inevitable midterm backlash.

Gore vs. Bush would look like a minor disagreement between old friends by comparison.

That's the frightening downside to all of this. A part of me wants Congress to hand the presidency to Johnson, but that would never happen.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon May 30, 2016 8:17 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

That's the frightening downside to all of this. A part of me wants Congress to hand the presidency to Johnson, but that would never happen.

No one should want Congress to give the Presidency to someone who got fewer votes, as Johnson almost certainly would. That would almost certainly destroy most of whatever little faith remains in the Democratic system and enrage the public. I'd expect mass riots, minimum.

Unless you want America to fall and have no respect for the will of the people, there is no reason to want this. I wouldn't want my candidate to win that way. Because it wouldn't be a real win.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Unified Governments
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Governments » Mon May 30, 2016 8:18 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:That's the frightening downside to all of this. A part of me wants Congress to hand the presidency to Johnson, but that would never happen.

No one should want Congress to give the Presidency to someone who got fewer votes, as Johnson almost certainly would. That would almost certainly destroy most of whatever little faith remains in the Democratic system and enrage the public. I'd expect mass riots, minimum.

Unless you want America to fall and have no respect for the will of the people, there is no reason to want this. I wouldn't want my candidate to win that way. Because it wouldn't be a real win.

So we should succumb to mobocracy? We aren't a pure democracy and never will be. And thank God for that.
I, Pencil

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon May 30, 2016 8:29 am

Robert Bork wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
No.

Oh damn well I guess I'll count on Hillary Clinton to solve it then.

I think it's a real problem, but most people are actually content with the status quo. That means we're not likely to see it really addressed. You'd have to have a candidate that was actually serious about fighting the corruption AND you'd have to have an engaged voting public that actually supported that candidate.

So.... we're probably not going to see real action on it anytime soon.

In the meantime, perhaps, it IS still possible to choose the lesser of the evils - and in this election season, that's basically anyone but Trump. Even Clinton.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 am

Robert Bork wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Trump believes that the drought in California is a conspiracy. http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36404323

As somebody who attended the rally, and lives in the city, I can add some context. Basically, we have a lot of water going out from rivers into the oceans, because that's the fucking water cycle. Trump was suggesting that we divert some of that water to the farms instead of letting it go out into the Bay. But the environmentalists don't like this because it would threaten the delta smelt and some other people have claims on the water rights upstream. So I wouldn't say he's calling it a conspiracy.

Do you mean downstream? The riparian claims upstream are not really affected by what California does with it's water.
I identify as
a problem

Planita
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Planita » Mon May 30, 2016 8:39 am

The Romulan Republic wrote:

So we should succumb to mobocracy? We aren't a pure democracy and never will be. And thank God for that.

What do you mean by a 'pure democracy'?

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Mon May 30, 2016 8:52 am

That's the first time I heard that about the Democratic Party.

As for the latter question, I'll say yes. On the Democrats' side you just have Hillary and Bernie. On the GOP side, we used to have alot more candidates and now those who supported the other candidates are either reluctantly voting for Trump, voting for a Democrat, or someone else.
1 John 1:9

Unified Governments
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Governments » Mon May 30, 2016 10:31 am

Planita wrote:
Unified Governments wrote:So we should succumb to mobocracy? We aren't a pure democracy and never will be. And thank God for that.

What do you mean by a 'pure democracy'?

Mob rule. Tyranny of the majority.
I, Pencil

Unified Governments
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Governments » Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 am

Nordengrund wrote:

That's the first time I heard that about the Democratic Party.

As for the latter question, I'll say yes. On the Democrats' side you just have Hillary and Bernie. On the GOP side, we used to have alot more candidates and now those who supported the other candidates are either reluctantly voting for Trump, voting for a Democrat, or someone else.

At least the GOP has their nominee. Bernie's still idiotically clinging on.
I, Pencil

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon May 30, 2016 10:34 am

Planita wrote:What do you mean by a 'pure democracy'?

Mob rule. Tyranny of the majority.

Representative democracy is not less "pure" than direct democracy.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General