NATION

PASSWORD

Philosophy Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

It's seven sentences, just read it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem What would you do?

1. I would do nothing.
37
19%
2. I would pull the lever.
126
66%
3. Philosophy is scary.
27
14%
 
Total votes : 190

User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22383
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Philosophy Discussion Thread

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:48 pm

I won't pretend I expect this thread to go very far, but why not give it a shot? Sisyphus pushes the boulder up the hill, knowing full well his task will never be finished, that a finality will never be reached; in the end, our lives and actions mean no more than his. Will we cower, like a dog beaten, or will we stand in the face of Meaningless Nothing and proclaim we are not afraid, that we will live in spite of this void and in rebellion against the nihilistic depression others succumb to? Is there any purpose to life other than its verb: to live? Is there any goal to existence other than its: exist?

<end unnecessarily dramatic intro>

Philosophy is depression in its purest form; to be philosophical is to be ill.
It is an error of the mind, a disgusting sickness, to think in a metaphysical sense.
To obsessively ponder about purpose and meaning in a universe so clearly devoid of these things
should be classified as a type of psychosis.



To begin: what is your philosophical stance, NSG? What track does your train of thought travel at 3 AM?

I am an absurdist, because I find this school of thought to be the most congruent to the way I face life everyday. I do not believe there is any inherent, metaphysical, "supernatural" meaning or purpose in the universe. I think existence, when looked at "objectively," is, well, absurd. I think getting up in the morning is absurd, going to work, making sandwiches, playing sports. Life doesn't have a point so there is no goal ahead or achievement to be gained.

And I would also maintain that people should continue to search for meaning. If we wanted to assign life a "point," I think the only rational option is the one I already detailed in the intro, with all my bullshit grandiloquence: "Is there any purpose to life other than its verb: to live?"

I think we should go on living life in spite of this perceived lack of purpose. I think we should strive simply to exist in a manner we find pleasing. We should do this because we can, because we aren't cowards, because we would never be satisfied with copping out on this ontological dilemma - because it's the only logical answer to the question the Absurd asks you once you've faced it: Why?

Also: I would pull the lever. If you allow something to happen when you could have stopped it, you are at least partially to blame. There are a ton of popular quotes that allude to this Philosophy 101 inquiry... like that one by Burke, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." And I think Desmond Tutu said " If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." But yeah. I would rather be guilty of one man's death than five.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36402
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Demand to know why our Trolley system has an epidemic of people tied to the tracks.

User avatar
Zoice
Minister
 
Posts: 3041
Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoice » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:57 pm

God is dead
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you're ignorant about human sexuality and want to let everyone know. ♂♀
Or if you're an asshole that goes out of your way to bully minorities and call them words with the strict intent of upsetting a demographic that is already at a huge risk of suicide, or being murdered for who they are. :)

For: Abortions, Anomalocaris, Atheism, Anti-theism, Being a good person, Genetic Engineering, LGBT rights, Sammy Harris, the Sandman, Science, Secular humanism
Against: AGW Denialism, Anti-Semitism, Banning religion, Ends, Hillary Clinton, Islamophobia, Means, Mother Theresa, Organized religion, Pacifism, Prejudice, the Pope, Political Correctness, Racism, Regressive Lefties and Righties, Republican Candidates, Theism, Violence

User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22383
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Maurepas wrote:Demand to know why our Trolley system has an epidemic of people tied to the tracks.

All those Philosophy majors couldn't find jobs with their degrees, so they turned to lives of crime...
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 451
Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Image


How do you respond?

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36402
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Demand to know why our Trolley system has an epidemic of people tied to the tracks.

All those Philosophy majors couldn't find jobs with their degrees, so they turned to lives of crime...

I like that answer, heh heh heh.

I guess ultimately one has to pull the lever, but I doubt I'd be able to live with myself afterwards.

User avatar
Utilitarian Garibaldi
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 451
Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Utilitarian Garibaldi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Demand to know why our Trolley system has an epidemic of people tied to the tracks.

All those Philosophy majors couldn't find jobs with their degrees, so they turned to lives of crime...

They could find jobs, they just didn't want to be adjunct professors paid the equivalent of a mailman.

User avatar
The Great Devourer of All
Minister
 
Posts: 2940
Founded: Dec 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Devourer of All » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:05 pm

Obviously you pull the lever if there is no extra information given about any one of the people tied to the tracks that would make any of them more or less valuable to society.
Last edited by the Devourer 9.98 billion years ago


Pro: Jellyfish

Anti: Heretics



Yymea wrote:We would definitely be scared of what is probably the most scary nation on NS :p


Multiversal Venn-Copard wrote:Actually fairly threatening by our standards. And this time we really mean "threatening". As in, "we'll actually need to escalate significantly to match their fleets."


Valkalan wrote:10/10 Profoundly evil. Some nations conqueror others for wealth and prestige, but the Devourer consumes civilization like a cancer consuming an unfortunate host.


The Speaker wrote:Intemperate in the sea from the roof, and leg All night, and he knows lots of reads from the unseen good old man of the mountain-DESTRUCTION

User avatar
The Free Rational City of Rapture
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 355
Founded: Jan 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Rational City of Rapture » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Ignore this Nation's name.
#FreeKauthar
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didnt fail biology♂♀
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
[★_]
( X_X) put this in signature if you dislike Communism and Socialism
Make America Great Again!
Rick Perry
Scott Walker
Bobby Jindal
Lindsey Graham
George Pataki
Rand Paul
Chris Christie
Carly Fiorina
Jeb Bush
Ben Carson
Marco Rubio
John Kasich
Ted Cruz
Bernie Sanders
Hillary Clinton

User avatar
Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22383
Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Maurepas wrote:I like that answer, heh heh heh.

*prays it's Awesome Quotes thread worthy because he hasn't made it into the new one*
Maurepas wrote:I guess ultimately one has to pull the lever, but I doubt I'd be able to live with myself afterwards.

Yeah. Last time I talked to a few people about this, they all said they wouldn't do anything - and that it wouldn't be their fault the men died.

My theory is that, as urban Northeastern members of the bourgeoisie, their culture does not confer on them a very strong sense of... well. Empathy isn't quite the right word, nor responsibility. Do you get what I'm saying?
Utilitarian Garibaldi wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:All those Philosophy majors couldn't find jobs with their degrees, so they turned to lives of crime...

They could find jobs, they just didn't want to be adjunct professors paid the equivalent of a mailman.

It was a joke.

And I wish I got 20 bucks an hour/43k a year. I'm good at my job, been at it for years, work all weekends and most holidays, pull 6 days a week and 10+ hours a day during summer, come every single time I'm called in - and make a little over half of that.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs


User avatar
Dkane
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 49
Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dkane » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:18 pm

I remember I took an ethics 101 course my senior year of college. Mostly for kicks and giggles. Partly because I was friends with lots of classics and philosophy majors, and I wanted to get a basic understanding of their conversations.

The class itself was a joke (not because it was an ethics course), but I learned a bit about myself regardless. Anyways, I definitely liked Kant. I agreed with him on most things. Could probably say I'm a moral absolutist. I believe there is an emphatically right and wrong/good and evil. Probably comes from my Protestant upbringing.

I would pull the lever and save the five men, condemning the other to a quick and squishy death.
Book most recently finished: Foundation & Empire - Isaac Asimov
Ask me about my collection of Economics Textbooks!!!
I touched a frog once.

User avatar
Mugrul
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 375
Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mugrul » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Dkane wrote:I remember I took an ethics 101 course my senior year of college. Mostly for kicks and giggles. Partly because I was friends with lots of classics and philosophy majors, and I wanted to get a basic understanding of their conversations.

The class itself was a joke (not because it was an ethics course), but I learned a bit about myself regardless. Anyways, I definitely liked Kant. I agreed with him on most things. Could probably say I'm a moral absolutist. I believe there is an emphatically right and wrong/good and evil. Probably comes from my Protestant upbringing.

I would pull the lever and save the five men, condemning the other to a quick and squishy death.

That's pretty utilitarian for a Kant fan.
Last edited by Mugrul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dkane
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 49
Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dkane » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:01 pm

Mugrul wrote:
Dkane wrote:I remember I took an ethics 101 course my senior year of college. Mostly for kicks and giggles. Partly because I was friends with lots of classics and philosophy majors, and I wanted to get a basic understanding of their conversations.

The class itself was a joke (not because it was an ethics course), but I learned a bit about myself regardless. Anyways, I definitely liked Kant. I agreed with him on most things. Could probably say I'm a moral absolutist. I believe there is an emphatically right and wrong/good and evil. Probably comes from my Protestant upbringing.

I would pull the lever and save the five men, condemning the other to a quick and squishy death.

That's pretty utilitarian for a Kant fan.


I also study & teach Economics. It's definitely affected my thought-process on many Ethical conundrums. For example: "Five deaths in the workforce would likely have a much larger negative effect upon GPD than one death would, ceterus paribus."
Book most recently finished: Foundation & Empire - Isaac Asimov
Ask me about my collection of Economics Textbooks!!!
I touched a frog once.

User avatar
MolokoPlus
Envoy
 
Posts: 287
Founded: Feb 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby MolokoPlus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:02 pm

I'll admit to being hopelessly uneducated in philosophy. As an educator, I know the rudimentary basics, but if you were to ask me about people like Camus, Kierkegaard, etc etc, I'd probably just mumble.

That said, I have paid close attention to the works of Rene Girard, even if hes more of a sociologist than philosopher.
Hi, I'm an Alaskan currently living in Oregon. I love dogs, beer, hockey, and other fun stuff. I'm Russian Orthodox, and am still finding my place on that pesky political spectrum. Want to know more? Telegram me.

User avatar
Great Feng
Senator
 
Posts: 4319
Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm

I like Confucianism, and Progressivism(The modern version).
A mix of those two are ideal.
Confucianism is Conservative, but I want to make a more Progressivist version of it.

User avatar
Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9309
Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:15 pm

Dkane wrote:
Mugrul wrote:That's pretty utilitarian for a Kant fan.


I also study & teach Economics. It's definitely affected my thought-process on many Ethical conundrums. For example: "Five deaths in the workforce would likely have a much larger negative effect upon GPD than one death would, ceterus paribus."


You've just killed the head of the IMF and saved five OAPs. The global GDP takes a loss of two percent. You lose! :p
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

User avatar
Mugrul
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 375
Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mugrul » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Dkane wrote:
Mugrul wrote:That's pretty utilitarian for a Kant fan.


I also study & teach Economics. It's definitely affected my thought-process on many Ethical conundrums. For example: "Five deaths in the workforce would likely have a much larger negative effect upon GPD than one death would, ceterus paribus."

Kant would be pretty angry at you for considering those five deaths means to an end!
Last edited by Mugrul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nioya
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1402
Founded: Jul 31, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Nioya » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:18 pm

My whole nation is basically based on the idea of the philosopher kings.
I like telegrams
First name: Matt
Gender: male
Sexual Orientation: gay
Nationality: American
Religion: Episcopalian
Relationship status: Single
Likes: Philosophy, history, world building, anime, audiobooks, aesthetics, coffee
Dislikes: SJWs, atheism, kids being loud
Random fact: I sleep with a body pillow

User avatar
Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 86046
Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:20 pm

I would pull the lever.

That said I am a pragmatist with a bit of utilitarianism.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

User avatar
Dkane
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 49
Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dkane » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Dkane wrote:
I also study & teach Economics. It's definitely affected my thought-process on many Ethical conundrums. For example: "Five deaths in the workforce would likely have a much larger negative effect upon GPD than one death would, ceterus paribus."


You've just killed the head of the IMF and saved five OAPs. The global GDP takes a loss of two percent. You lose! :p


Obviously this was a one-time fluke. Though, we'll need to re-load the tracks with a new group of data points and run the experiment again to be sure.
Book most recently finished: Foundation & Empire - Isaac Asimov
Ask me about my collection of Economics Textbooks!!!
I touched a frog once.

User avatar
Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 86046
Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Dkane wrote:
Mugrul wrote:That's pretty utilitarian for a Kant fan.


I also study & teach Economics. It's definitely affected my thought-process on many Ethical conundrums. For example: "Five deaths in the workforce would likely have a much larger negative effect upon GPD than one death would, ceterus paribus."


Huh, that's not really what I thought. What I thought was "well, it is one person against 5. Letting 5 lives live is better than the one in this instance, so fuck it".

Now, there are variations of this conundrum that really put you in a REALLY shitty situation, but 5 random lives against 1 random life is pretty easy.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

User avatar
Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9309
Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Dkane wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
You've just killed the head of the IMF and saved five OAPs. The global GDP takes a loss of two percent. You lose! :p


Obviously this was a one-time fluke. Though, we'll need to re-load the tracks with a new group of data points and run the experiment again to be sure.


Nope, you've killed POTUS and saved five of his secret service.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

User avatar
New Axiom
Minister
 
Posts: 2045
Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Axiom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:23 pm

Why are humans nice to each other?
Emotions in general serve no purpose:
Love results in happiness
Happiness usually results in ignorance
Ignorance results in stress,
Stress can lead to death.

And it's not only that. You run into someone on the street. You say "sorry." Why? Why do you both not just keep walking?

Or you smile at people, or hold the door open at the gas station. Is the other person gonna care that you smiled at them? No, it's a natural neurological response to smile back, but we really don't care. And why do you hold the door open? Is the other person incapable of getting the door? If not, then why do we hold the door?
Everyone has a plan until the New Axiom Imperial Army comes. Then everyone is just like, omigawd. Run.

My favorite user quotes:
Zakuvia wrote:If you aren't imagining a chain gang of adorable old retirees building a wall with Fixodent and using their Hoverounds as tow trucks then you're not the NS I remember.


Ethel mermania wrote:
New Axiom wrote:
You mean Black Friday as in the Apex Preadator of Capatalism?

Victory is measured in gi Joe dolls and easy bake ovens. It was not old age that killed castro, it was nintendo.


Pringles or Lays Stax? I prefer the Lays.

User avatar
Tutukerala
Diplomat
 
Posts: 562
Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tutukerala » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:25 pm

I am happy that somebody as smart as Pruss started this thread.

I am a Christian Existentialist. I find life meaningless and useless, and have Faith in God to help me fight this absurdity.

My epistemology is rationalism.

My metaphysics(which I am working on) is close to Plato's.


My favorite thinkers are: Kierkegaard, Camus, Aquinas, Descartes, Locke, Augustine, and Plantiga

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10096
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:I am an absurdist, because I find this school of thought to be the most congruent to the way I face life everyday.

Taking your philosophy from Albert Camus is the next worse thing to taking it from Ayn Rand.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:I think we should strive simply to exist in a manner we find pleasing.

Tell me. Are you an absurdist or a hedonist and relativist?

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Also: I would pull the lever. If you allow something to happen when you could have stopped it, you are at least partially to blame.

By what standard can you be blameworthy if there is no inherent meaning?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Apabeossie, Cole Whyte-Gurney, Foxs kingdom, General TN, Greater Britannian Realm, Grinning Dragon, Maraganta, Potato Gun, Spirit of Hope, Ulania, Velstrania, Yorsa II

Advertisement

Remove ads