NATION

PASSWORD

Replacing Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should the US Senate do with the nomination of Merrick Garland?

Refuse to hold hearings on Garland's nomination
8%
Hold hearings but reject Garland's nomination
23%
Hold hearings and approve Garland's nomination
69%

Total votes : 144

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 pm

While I doubt Obama will nominate a red-blooded conservative, I also doubt he'll nominate a very liberal candidate.

Sotomayor replaced Souter, and Kagan replaced Stevens. Liberal justices replacing liberal justices. Of course right wingers don't like either of those new justices, but they really have nothing to complain about because Souter and Stevens were both liberals. The balance of the court didn't change.

Neither of those should be used as precedent to support the paranoid ravings about Obama being a "dictator".
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
I am sorry, who should a conservative want the seat filled with, Raoul castro?

They'd try to put Robert Bork in again if they could.

He's been dead a few years, but that shouldn't stop them. You can't get more Originalist than actually being dead.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
They'd try to put Robert Bork in again if they could.

He's been dead a few years, but that shouldn't stop them. You can't get more Originalist than actually being dead.

Zombie Bork for Supreme Court Justice.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Who is the whole point. Thst said I was surprised how quickly they came out with it. With control of the senate it's fairly obvious he is not going to appoint someone that will pass muster with the senate.

That strategy is based on two assumptions: that a Republican wins the Presidency, and that Republicans keep control of the Senate. If neither of those happens Republicans will rue the day they turned down a moderate nominee* this year.

Though you know, there's still time for them to consider that later this year. When it's clearer who the party noms for President will be, and what their chances of winning are. Also who the President's nominee is.

Though it would be grossly hypocritical, they could even approve the President's nomination in the lame duck session ... if they lose the Senate majority and/or Presidential race.

*next post

Which is why I think he should appoint Maryanne_Trump_Barry .

Donald Trump thinks she would be a bad choice. Therefore, she's probably a good choice :lol:

She was always smarter than him.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Off topic, but did you know that there's a FantasySCOTUS betting website?

More on topic, FiveTirtyEight has compiled a list of cases that Scalia's death will likely change the outcome of, for those curious
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Who is the whole point. Thst said I was surprised how quickly they came out with it. With control of the senate it's fairly obvious he is not going to appoint someone that will pass muster with the senate.

That strategy is based on two assumptions: that a Republican wins the Presidency, and that Republicans keep control of the Senate. If neither of those happens Republicans will rue the day they turned down a moderate nominee* this year.

Though you know, there's still time for them to consider that later this year. When it's clearer who the party noms for President will be, and what their chances of winning are. Also who the President's nominee is.

Though it would be grossly hypocritical, they could even approve the President's nomination in the lame duck session ... if they lose the Senate majority and/or Presidential race.

I think that's rather the point. If they push it back there is at least a chance that a Republican President with a Republican Senate will be able to put a solid conservative on the bench.

Which is a fair point and good politics...except again that this current crop of Republicans thinks 'subtlety' is a 4 letter word and loudly and publicly trumpeted their purely self-serving partisan decision to fight to keep a Supreme Court seat vacant for over a year, thus giving the Democrats ammunition to undermine them in the actual election they need to win in order to achieve their goal.

They really just can't help themselves. Even if it involves shooting themselves in the foot a year from now, or 5 minutes from now, they just can't pass up the opportunity to publicly spite Obama right now.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 pm

Ailiailia wrote:While I doubt Obama will nominate a red-blooded conservative, I also doubt he'll nominate a very liberal candidate.

Sotomayor replaced Souter, and Kagan replaced Stevens. Liberal justices replacing liberal justices. Of course right wingers don't like either of those new justices, but they really have nothing to complain about because Souter and Stevens were both liberals. The balance of the court didn't change.

Neither of those should be used as precedent to support the paranoid ravings about Obama being a "dictator".

I'm thinking that it could happen that the senate rejects whoever the president nominates then, when the election is over and a democrat has won, will try to get a moderate confirmed in the lame duck session.
whatever

Myrensis
Negotiator

Postby Myrensis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:While I doubt Obama will nominate a red-blooded conservative, I also doubt he'll nominate a very liberal candidate.

I'm thinking that it could happen that the senate rejects whoever the president nominates then, when the election is over and a democrat has won, will try to get a moderate confirmed in the lame duck session.

In that event, particularly if a Democrat wins the Presidency and we retake the Senate, I expect Obama would immediately withdraw his nominee and issue a statement agreeing with the Republicans that we should indeed honor the voice of the American people and let President Clinton or Sanders fill the vacancy.

It's another risk for the GOP with this tactic and their hamfisted implementation, if they lose the election it's going to be hard for them to fight whoever is nominated by Hillary or Sanders with their own argument constantly being thrown back in their faces, "The American people have spoken, why are you still whining and obstructing?".

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

In that event, particularly if a Democrat wins the Presidency and we retake the Senate, I expect Obama would immediately withdraw his nominee and issue a statement agreeing with the Republicans that we should indeed honor the voice of the American people and let President Clinton or Sanders fill the vacancy.

It's another risk for the GOP with this tactic and their hamfisted implementation, if they lose the election it's going to be hard for them to fight whoever is nominated by Hillary or Sanders with their own argument constantly being thrown back in their faces, "The American people have spoken, why are you still whining and obstructing?".

this one thing is more important than anything else this or the next president will be able to do (if it is a democrat).
whatever

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

The choice would be between the President's nominee from before the elections, or nobody. In fact, the lame duck Senate might not even get that much choice: before they can even sit, the President could withdraw the nomination.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

The choice would be between the President's nominee from before the elections, or nobody. In fact, the lame duck Senate might not even get that much choice: before they can even sit, the President could withdraw the nomination.

he could.

or maybe he would like that bit of history in his column. one last addition to his legacy might be irresistible.
whatever

Myrensis
Negotiator

Postby Myrensis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

this one thing is more important than anything else this or the next president will be able to do (if it is a democrat).

I expect whoever Obama nominates will be as blandly middle of the road centrist and inoffensive as possible.

From our end, that sort of Justice would still be a vast improvement over Scalia, and it limits the ability of the Republicans to make excuses about waa waa liberal activist.

On the Republican end it puts them in a position where if they block them they look like blatant obstructionists to all the moderates and undecides and take the risk of a far more liberal justice being appointed if a Democrat wins the election, but if they confirm them they go into an election with their own voting base in an uproar over them being filthy RINO traitors who sold out to Obama.

Scalias death literally couldn't have come at a worse time for the GOP. :p

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Zombie Bork for Supreme Court Justice.

At least he wouldn't ever need replacing.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:01 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

The same could be said if we have a Republican President.

BTW, I LOVE how "wait for the next pres" is OK if they are a dem, but the end of the world if the next pres is a republican. :rofl:
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Postby Myrensis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

BTW, I LOVE how "wait for the next pres" is OK if they are a dem, but the end of the world if the next pres is a republican. :rofl:

Uh, sorry, no. Republicans are the ones who decided that they're not going to allow Obama to appoint a new Justice even though he is still very much the sitting President with full Constitutional authority to do so.

We're just discussing the possible outcomes since we can't actually do much to prevent Republicans from throwing yet another temper tantrum.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Yes he could do that. It would probably be the only chance the next (Dem) President will get to change the balance of the court, as Roberts Thomas and Alito are relatively young. At least in the first term the only conservative likely to die is Kennedy (79 now) and he's the least conservative.

If the Dem wins the oval office but they DON'T take the Senate, on the other hand, it would be a nasty fight to leave to the next President. And maybe it matters whether that's Sanders or Clinton. Sanders would want it, Clinton wouldn't.

Yes sort of. I can think of counter-arguments though, particularly if they still hold the Senate.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:13 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Uh, sorry, no. Republicans are the ones who decided that they're not going to allow Obama to appoint a new Justice even though he is still very much the sitting President with full Constitutional authority to do so.

We're just discussing the possible outcomes since we can't actually do much to prevent Republicans from throwing yet another temper tantrum.

Another thing I find funny id the liberals/democrats already trying to spin this as if the Republicans refusing to confirm is going to shut down SCOTUS like their refusal to compromise on the budget shut down the government. :rofl:
Hail Satan!

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Myrensis wrote:Scalias death literally couldn't have come at a worse time for the GOP. :p

To the day. Pretty much every candidate disgraced themselves when they had to get up on stage together later the same day as Scalia was found dead. Competing with each other to be the most anti-Obama.

They'd all have looked better with even one more day. Day one, eulogize Scalia and nothing else. Day two, after getting advice from Republican Senators whose decision it actually is, make some considered comments about what kind of nominee might be acceptable. Day three, after some Democrats do it first, get in the trenches.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

Another thing I find funny id the liberals/democrats already trying to spin this as if the Republicans refusing to confirm is going to shut down SCOTUS like their refusal to compromise on the budget shut down the government. :rofl:

You don't think nine and a half months (or more) of SCOTUS being deadlocked on the most critical cases looks a bit like a shutdown?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Myrensis wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

I expect whoever Obama nominates will be as blandly middle of the road centrist and inoffensive as possible.

From our end, that sort of Justice would still be a vast improvement over Scalia, and it limits the ability of the Republicans to make excuses about waa waa liberal activist.

On the Republican end it puts them in a position where if they block them they look like blatant obstructionists to all the moderates and undecides and take the risk of a far more liberal justice being appointed if a Democrat wins the election, but if they confirm them they go into an election with their own voting base in an uproar over them being filthy RINO traitors who sold out to Obama.

Scalias death literally couldn't have come at a worse time for the GOP. :p

an inoffensive justice is still for abortion rights, voting rights, union rights, campaign finance reform, gun regulations, environmental issues, and whatever else I cant think of right now.

that is far more than a democratic president can get done with a republican house.
whatever

54e
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby 54e » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

You don't think nine and a half months (or more) of SCOTUS being deadlocked on the most critical cases looks a bit like a shutdown?

4-4 ties result in lower court decisions being upheld without precedent created

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

I see it as hypocrisy from conservatives.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

No, because it is not a shutdown.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Godular wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Nice bit of character inversion there. :clap:
Hail Satan!

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:36 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Godular wrote:

Nice bit of character inversion there. :clap:

Not at all.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General