NATION

PASSWORD

Anglican church against gay marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zoice
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoice » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:44 am

Constantinopolis wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Yes, and if even a single eyewitness report of Jewish blood libel out of all the times it was reported or supposedly observed was true, that means that blood libel actually happened.

You're comparing apples to oranges. "The supernatural" is a FAR broader category than "the blood libel".

I specifically said, NUMEROUS times, that eyewitness reports of supernatural events cannot prove by themselves that any specific religion is true or that any specific type of miracle definitely happened, but that they prove that some kinds of supernatural events sometimes happen.

Stop trying to make my claims seem stronger than they actually are so that you can knock them down.

Potentially, eyewitness reports can be proof that there is something we don't know. Seeing a platypus when Australia was just being discovered by europeans was at best proof of there being an animal they didn't know about. It wasn't a supernatural waterfowl spirit beaver, it was just a platypus. Stuff that people claim is evidence of the supernatural is at best, evidence of something we don't know about yet. That's all.
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you're ignorant about human sexuality and want to let everyone know. ♂♀
Or if you're an asshole that goes out of your way to bully minorities and call them words with the strict intent of upsetting a demographic that is already at a huge risk of suicide, or being murdered for who they are. :)

For: Abortions, Anomalocaris, Atheism, Anti-theism, Being a good person, Genetic Engineering, LGBT rights, Sammy Harris, the Sandman, Science, Secular humanism
Against: AGW Denialism, Anti-Semitism, Banning religion, Ends, Hillary Clinton, Islamophobia, Means, Mother Theresa, Organized religion, Pacifism, Prejudice, the Pope, Political Correctness, Racism, Regressive Lefties and Righties, Republican Candidates, Theism, Violence

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:49 am

Constantinopolis wrote:\You're comparing apples to oranges. "The supernatural" is a FAR broader category than "the blood libel".

I specifically said, NUMEROUS times, that eyewitness reports of supernatural events cannot prove by themselves that any specific religion is true or that any specific type of miracle definitely happened, but that they prove that some kinds of supernatural events sometimes happen.

Why? Because you want them to? We're arguing matters of scale. I agree that eyewitness reports of supernatural events prove that some people see some things at some times. Considering that many would dispute the idea of their experiences being 'supernatural', this is all wishful thinking and poor categorization. There is no difference between your 'broad' category and narrower categories in the principle of the argument you're using once sufficiently large numbers are achieved. If one million people have 'seen' supernatural events, then is that enough to say that some sort of their claimed category is true? If one million people have claimed to seen blood libel, is that proof enough that some part of their claimed category of ritual Jewish murder is true? No. You're explicitly making a logical fallacy - just because many people make claims doesn't make it true. The supernatural has eyewitnesses, believe them if you want, but don't claim that it's proof.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Kiuytrew (Ancient)
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiuytrew (Ancient) » Wed May 04, 2016 10:17 am

Arthurious wrote:I thought everything was alright with same sex marriage. :oops:

I thought so too... :meh: But I guess I thought wrong...

Previous

Return to General