NATION

PASSWORD

Pig Head Thrown at Philadelphia Mosque

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:52 pm

This happened in Australia a few days ago
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Saiwania wrote:The left cares more about Muslim sensibilities than they do about defending or strengthening western civilization. Liberalism does not care what happens to the country or the world provided they keep being in power. Do they honestly believe that Sharia law will not find its way to their own neighborhoods if they invite a Muslim majority in?

Y'know, maybe, just maybe, most of these people are just trying to live their lives in peace. There's more to them than just their religion y'know. Live and let live.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Trumpostan wrote:And yes there actually is an equivalent, it was called the Inquisition. They burned people at the stake, kind of what IS/Daesh also does. Claiming 'but it happened x hundred years ago' doesn't in any sense make it untrue. Christianity's extremism was suppressed by the reformation and the enlightenment, but it has never gone away. Take away modern enlightened ideas about liberal democratic states, and the radical Christians would be right back at it. For now they seem to limit themselves with killing abortion doctors or firebombing Planned Parenthood clinics.

I'm not familiar with all of Europe's Inquisitions but I know the Spanish one was completely justified as a means of pacifying their formerly Muslim subjects. Spain had won an almost 800 year struggle against Islamic invaders for control of the Iberian peninsula and this was their means back then, of integrating them into the Spanish state.

"According to actual records the Spanish Inquisition was widely hailed as the best run, most humane court in Europe."
It "was the first to pronounce Europe’s witch hunt a delusion and prohibited anyone from being tried or burnt for witchcraft."
And keep in mind that without the Catholic church's patronage, the Enlightenment wouldn't have even got off the ground so to speak. Seems ungrateful then, for secularists to turn around and bite the hand that fed them.

I'm calling bullshit on your analysis of the Spanish Inquisition. Either you don't know your history, or you're making shit up.

Most Muslims had either fled to the Maghreb or already converted to Christianity by the time the Inquisition started. And even then, it wasn't done as a direct followup of the Reconquista, at least not as far as Islam was concerned. By the final stages of the unification of the Kingdom of Spain, what few Muslims remained were mere pockets of communities in the South. Prior to the beginning of the Inquisition, what little remained of Muslim influence in Spain was negligible.

The real target was the Jews, who were present throughout the whole of Spain, and presented a much more sizable population. And the Spanish Inquisition was by no means humane. Torture was used during interrogations (which was usually just torture for the sake of torture), and the confessions gained were usually half-true at best. People would just confess to stop being tortured, since the methods used were so horrendously brutal.

And even then, a lot of the victims of the Inquisition weren't Jews or Muslims, but other Christians. Their crime? Not being christian enough. The Spanish Inquisition wasn't some glorified period of Western history. It was a brutal, merciless precursor for other inquisitions and religious tribunals throughout Europe.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
I'm not familiar with all of Europe's Inquisitions but I know the Spanish one was completely justified as a means of pacifying their formerly Muslim subjects. Spain had won an almost 800 year struggle against Islamic invaders for control of the Iberian peninsula and this was their means back then, of integrating them into the Spanish state.

"According to actual records the Spanish Inquisition was widely hailed as the best run, most humane court in Europe."
It "was the first to pronounce Europe’s witch hunt a delusion and prohibited anyone from being tried or burnt for witchcraft."
And keep in mind that without the Catholic church's patronage, the Enlightenment wouldn't have even got off the ground so to speak. Seems ungrateful then, for secularists to turn around and bite the hand that fed them.

I'm calling bullshit on your analysis of the Spanish Inquisition. Either you don't know your history, or you're making shit up.

Most Muslims had either fled to the Maghreb or already converted to Christianity by the time the Inquisition started. And even then, it wasn't done as a direct followup of the Reconquista, at least not as far as Islam was concerned. By the final stages of the unification of the Kingdom of Spain, what few Muslims remained were mere pockets of communities in the South. Prior to the beginning of the Inquisition, what little remained of Muslim influence in Spain was negligible.

The real target was the Jews, who were present throughout the whole of Spain, and presented a much more sizable population. And the Spanish Inquisition was by no means humane. Torture was used during interrogations (which was usually just torture for the sake of torture), and the confessions gained were usually half-true at best. People would just confess to stop being tortured, since the methods used were so horrendously brutal.

And even then, a lot of the victims of the Inquisition weren't Jews or Muslims, but other Christians. Their crime? Not being christian enough. The Spanish Inquisition wasn't some glorified period of Western history. It was a brutal, merciless precursor for other inquisitions and religious tribunals throughout Europe.

And amongst its weaponry, it had fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:17 pm

Galloism wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:

And amongst its weaponry, it had fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Allied Skrall
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Skrall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Although I find this disgusting and offensive, why was the pig head even available for purchase? Who the Hell even eats pig heads? Uggh.

Trumpostan wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
It says more about you in my view, that you're worried more about Christianity than you are about Islam which has a caliphate proclaimed in Iraq and Syria which is carrying out atrocities that the UN is powerless to stop and the major world powers are playing softball with in terms of containment.

There is no equivalency for Christians to send assassins after people who leave Christianity like how Islam traditionally deals with apostates and note how Islam itself has no qualms about Muslim men dating/marrying women from other faiths but has strict prohibitions against Muslim women doing the same. This is obviously to put other faiths at a disadvantage as much as possible while conversely giving Islam an advantage whenever possible. The four wives being allowed within Islam is meant to give Islam a demographic advantage over other religious communities which practice monogamy.

Not that long ago the USA had a president (a self proclaimed christian) who basically said he went to war because god told him it was a good idea.
President Bush said: 'I am driven with a mission from God'
W: this crusade... war on terror

And 14 years later, over a million dead and the region about as unstable as it has been in a long time. Over a million dead because somebody claimed that his god told him to invade Iraq. And the whole casi belli (WMD's + Iraq being complicit in 9/11) turned out to be big fat lies.

And yes there actually is an equivalent, it was called the Inquisition. They burned people at the stake, kind of what IS/Daesh also does. Claiming 'but it happened x hundred years ago' doesn't in any sense make it untrue. Christianity's extremism was suppressed by the reformation and the enlightenment, but it has never gone away. Take away modern enlightened ideas about liberal democratic states, and the radical christians would be right back at it. For now they seem to limit themselves with killing abortion doctors or firebombing Planned Parenthood clinics.

For more modern examples, look to the Lords Resistance Army in Uganda.

You're confusing the actions of a tiny minority of self proclaimed muslims with the entire demographic of muslims. The western world, by the way, has a huge enlightenment advantage.

The acts of terror are actually supported by the Ishmaelite prophet and his words, in low population Muslims are to be like Mohamed and be peaceful, but when they have the ability to they are to be like Mohammad and force non-believers to either convert, pay the jizya tax, or be executed. Many do not fully practice what Mohammad taught as it is more of a cultural thing or they have been enlightened by Western ideas, and fundamentalism has only recently returned (...not exactly sure if it went anywhere really, maybe it was hiding :P ). That doesn't mean I want Muslims to be fundamental, I would prefer a Liberal Muslim any day when compared to a fundamentalist.

Whereas, The Christ taught and teaches that His followers are to be peaceful because sinners should not punish sinners for sinning as if they are clean: all those not accepting of Christ will perish at the hands of Christ himself when He returns to the mortal plane at the end of days. Anyone that 'kills in the name of God' is not a true Christian despite their claims for they are obviously going against the Word of God. And if you bring up the Old Testament, please do keep in mind that The Christ lived the perfect life, and when we place His life for eternal punishment instead of our own we are also replacing his whole perfect life with our filthy one: he obeyed all the laws as the Lord meant them and rather than punishing them he gathered a flock of those that would be the first in our plane to accept the sacrifice of God and be forgiven (can still be angry, such as the merchants in the temple square).

And the invasion of Iraq wasn't only looking for WMDs: Saddam Hussein allowed terrorist organizations to have refuge in Iraq, so long as they did not cross him and they would do favors of terrorism against nearby countries he did not like from time to time. Part of the War on Terror would be the attacking of countries that harbored a safe haven for terrorists, which Hussein did. I honestly think the Iraq War was an unfortunate waste in the long run due to mismanagement but there was some merit to the invasion, those soldiers did not die for nothing. I kind of think we should have gotten out sooner, however, but Al-Qaeda and ISI were rampant without a stable local state. I would still like to have seen Hussein's rebuilding of Babylon and Ctesiphon, however, that would have been cool to see. I also despise that some of our own soldiers looted some of the ancient sites of Iraq during their stay there, the damn thieves should have been tracked down and arrested for that, soldier or not.
Allied Skrall is my secondary country, first being Pohan-Vor.

Frank Zipper
Senator

Founded: Nov 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Frank Zipper » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Allied Skrall wrote: Who the Hell even eats pig heads? Uggh..

Anyone who has ever bought a hotdog.
Put this in your signature if you are easily led.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Sanctissima wrote:The Spanish Inquisition wasn't some glorified period of Western history. It was a brutal, merciless precursor for other inquisitions and religious tribunals throughout Europe.

This is distorted history, the myth of a single all powerful and torture hungry inquisition in Spain is largely an invention of 19th century Protestant authors who had an agenda of wanting to discredit the Papacy. The severity of the Spanish inquisition is being called into question by more modern historians because the previous narrative has been found to be wildly exaggerated. I'm going to believe them over claptrap retold by Monty Python.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/2 ... s-f-madden
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:The Spanish Inquisition wasn't some glorified period of Western history. It was a brutal, merciless precursor for other inquisitions and religious tribunals throughout Europe.

This is distorted history, the myth of a single all powerful and torture hungry inquisition in Spain is largely an invention of 19th century Protestant authors who had an agenda of wanting to discredit the Papacy. The severity of the Spanish inquisition is being called into question by more modern historians because the previous narrative has been found to be wildly exaggerated. I'm going to believe them over claptrap retold by Monty Python.

Yes, the Enlightenment and the academia that followed went a little overboard in demonizing the Spanish Inquisition. Then again, they didn't just demonize the Spanish Inquisition. They literally had nothing good to say about anything Catholic or historical that somehow tied into the Middle Ages. These are the people who popularized the term 'Dark Ages', and their distain for anything Medieval or semi-Medieval was part of a larger desire to revive Greco-Roman culture and traditions.

So yes, they demonized the Spanish Inquisition, along with a lot of other stuff they didn't like. Then again, in regards to the Spanish Inquisition, they weren't to far from the truth. The Spanish Inquisition was one piss-poor time in history to be a Jew.

Povinksi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Povinksi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Disgusting. Could we all just leave all religions alone?
Founder of The Tenth Dimension

Ugatoo
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ugatoo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Povinksi wrote:Disgusting. Could we all just leave all religions alone?

As soon as religions leave me alone I'll return the favour.
Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology but only remember learning about photosynthesis
Unlike marijuana, religion and capitalism will kill you.
Kannap wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:Is Ugatoo really here on their anti-rape crusade? Like seriously, TET is for having a laugh, not a soapbox for someone's rants.

We should banish Ugatoo from TET *nods*

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Well, that's kind of fucked up.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Celseon
Envoy

Founded: Aug 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celseon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Allied Skrall wrote:Although I find this disgusting and offensive, why was the pig head even available for purchase? Who the Hell even eats pig heads? Uggh.

It's not unheard of.

The acts of terror are actually supported by the Ishmaelite prophet and his words, in low population Muslims are to be like Mohamed and be peaceful, but when they have the ability to they are to be like Mohammad and force non-believers to either convert, pay the jizya tax, or be executed. Many do not fully practice what Mohammad taught as it is more of a cultural thing or they have been enlightened by Western ideas, and fundamentalism has only recently returned (...not exactly sure if it went anywhere really, maybe it was hiding :P ). That doesn't mean I want Muslims to be fundamental, I would prefer a Liberal Muslim any day when compared to a fundamentalist.

Whereas, The Christ taught and teaches that His followers are to be peaceful because sinners should not punish sinners for sinning as if they are clean: all those not accepting of Christ will perish at the hands of Christ himself when He returns to the mortal plane at the end of days. Anyone that 'kills in the name of God' is not a true Christian despite their claims for they are obviously going against the Word of God. And if you bring up the Old Testament, please do keep in mind that The Christ lived the perfect life, and when we place His life for eternal punishment instead of our own we are also replacing his whole perfect life with our filthy one: he obeyed all the laws as the Lord meant them and rather than punishing them he gathered a flock of those that would be the first in our plane to accept the sacrifice of God and be forgiven (can still be angry, such as the merchants in the temple square).

Radical fundamentalist Christianity will whack people over the head with scripture from both the New and Old testaments. For example, a recent call for genocide against gay people in the United States was made by appealing extensively to the writings of Paul. Like it or not, there has historically been and there continues to be people who will use both the New and Old testaments to justify vulgar, violent extremism.

And the invasion of Iraq wasn't only looking for WMDs: Saddam Hussein allowed terrorist organizations to have refuge in Iraq, so long as they did not cross him and they would do favors of terrorism against nearby countries he did not like from time to time. Part of the War on Terror would be the attacking of countries that harbored a safe haven for terrorists, which Hussein did. I honestly think the Iraq War was an unfortunate waste in the long run due to mismanagement but there was some merit to the invasion, those soldiers did not die for nothing. I kind of think we should have gotten out sooner, however, but Al-Qaeda and ISI were rampant without a stable local state. I would still like to have seen Hussein's rebuilding of Babylon and Ctesiphon, however, that would have been cool to see. I also despise that some of our own soldiers looted some of the ancient sites of Iraq during their stay there, the damn thieves should have been tracked down and arrested for that, soldier or not.

Far and away the war's biggest selling point was that the Hussein regime was armed with weapons of mass destruction and pursuing an even larger and more powerful arsenal. If you read the text of Bush's announcement of initiation of hostilities in Iraq, the President's biggest selling job for the war and opportunity to fully explain the rationale underlying, the importance of, and the methods of the mission to be undertaken, you will find that this is the case. Concerns are expressed about Iraq eventually arming terrorist groups with this supply, but the focus, the reason for even having the war, is said to be because this supply allegedly exists to be given to terrorists in the first place. The war is sold as a preemptive action, not a response. That's why the phrase "We choose to meet this threat now" was chosen in reference to allegations that Iraq was pursuing nuclear weapons. There is also mention of rape rooms, suppression of dissidents, and the Iran-Iraq War and invasion of Kuwait, but that's not the focus either. The focus is absolutely on allegations about Iraq's supposed supply of weapons and facilities churning out ever more of them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/mar/18/usa.iraq

The important thing to keep in mind when one says that the invasion of Iraq was a terrible mistake (and it objectively was) is that the servicemen and women who conducted the invasion were, with exceptions such as those involved in scandals like the prisoner torturing that came out, faithfully carrying out lawfully issued orders according to the oath of service they took. They aren't the ones who decided to invade, so they're not the ones to hold responsible for the mistake of invading. They served with courage and should be respected for this, but that doesn't change the fact that the orders they were issued were errant. The supply of weapons of mass destruction and production operations to make even more that the preemptive action was based on was completely exaggerated, and in some cases entirely fictional.
Last edited by Celseon on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Larnada
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Larnada » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:25 pm

well it ain't like he went all muslim on them.
PRO:
CONSERVATISM,ZIONISM,CHRISTIANITY,FREEDOM OF SPEECH,LGBT+ RIGHTS,THE POLICE

ANTI
MUSLIMS,LIBERALS,PALESTINE,COMMUNISM,FEMINISM

Dominated Earth
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominated Earth » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Just charge them for littering. Feel sorry for the poor sod who had to carry the pigs head away. Ew.
-Sol
-Alpha Centuri
The new and improved me factbook!
I use early FT. This nation is based in 2140. Population is capped at 20 Billion. This nation doesn't represent all my views. I'm also in University studying Astronomy. We aren't Nod
DES Global News: Disgruntled nano engineer arrested after unleashing a hoard of screeching slime creatures on Tokyo|DES Inquisition purge the corrupt politicians and law enforcement of Kiev in brutal public executions without trial|Man comes home from work to find his house covered in silk worm silk.

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Valaran wrote:Firstly, for some reason when I saw the word pig, my mind flew to David Cameron. Oh dear.

That ... made me laugh more than it should have.

Anyway, it's probably a bunch of yobs on a pub crawl, or (more likely) hillbillies after too much moonshine, behaving like a bunch of louts. It's certainly offensive as hell, but the way the perpetration is described in the article as well as the nature of the incident makes it seem more like a drunken escapade than a genuine hate crime.
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Okay, who cares? I'm sure America has much bigger problems.
You can call me Luci
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent..
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

Politicoandrous Anthronegative Proplex
Envoy

Founded: Jan 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Politicoandrous Anthronegative Proplex » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Alyakia wrote:
Jagellion wrote:How could that person even be punished? Is there a punishment for anything like this?

vandalism
being a dick

you don't know what vandalism is, do you?
Does this trigger you hard enough? rmembr 2 liek and subscrib
Copy and paste this in your sig if you are oblivious to the fact that the "difference" between gender and sex was proven by an old doctor forcing two young brothers to have homosexual incest with mangled genitalia

Democracy itself unravels the argument that drug legalization "is mainly for medical reasons".

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Probably littering fines could be brought forward, significant even, hopefully enough to plea-bargain it down to some community service.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Herskerstad wrote:Probably littering fines could be brought forward, significant even, hopefully enough to plea-bargain it down to some community service.

Alternatively, bioterrorism charges and the death penalty pleaded down to life without parole.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Reagan-land
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Reagan-land » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Kraylandia wrote:Okay, who cares? I'm sure America has much bigger problems.

its the internet. everything is the end of the world

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:46 am

Crusader occupied mecca wrote:
Alvecia wrote:A statement is not evidence. Sources please.

Just get on tumblr on any given day. If it doesn't chill your bones then there's no helping you.

Still not evidence. You made the claim. You provide the source.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:48 am

It is a disgusting hate crime. I hope they find and prosecute the ones responsible.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:42 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Keep an eye out for crotch seeking weasels.

I wonder what weasel tastes like.

Crotch.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Wombocombo
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Wombocombo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:47 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
I wonder what weasel tastes like.

Crotch.

What about weasels that don't seek crotches?

Also the whole pig head throwing thing....
Kinda rude.
Not sure what else to say.
Hi

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General