NATION

PASSWORD

Man goes missing...well he wasn't actually missing...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Man goes missing...well he wasn't actually missing...

Postby Wilgrove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:41 pm

"Missing" Cornelius man was taking break from his wife
by John Snell, The Oregonian
Monday June 15, 2009, 6:11 PM

CORNELIUS - A man reported missing by his wife last week was located Saturday. But he says he wasn't missing -- just following his wife's wishes to go away.

William Peterson told police he and his wife had an argument and she told him to get out. So, Peterson spent the week fishing and camping in Bend.

His wife, Pam Peterson, said that the argument with her husband happened months ago, and that she forgot about telling her husband he could always leave. Apparently, her husband had not forgotten, she said.

Now Cornelius Police are missing the money spent on trying to find Peterson, at his wife's request. That makes them the unhappy party of the third part.

"There was a lot of money spent looking for someone who wasn't truly missing," said Cornelius Police Cmdr. Ed Jensen.

"I'm pretty sure there is no recourse at this time (but) it definitely tied up a lot of resources that, in this day and age of tight budgets, could make a lot of difference."

Peterson, 53, was reported to have left his home on June 6. Pam Peterson, told police her husband left on an overnight fishing trip without saying where he was going. He had done that before, but when he failed to appear at work she reported him missing.

Jensen said the search for Peterson involved the U.S. Forest Service, as well as law enforcement officers from Linn, Lane and Marion counties. He estimated that thousands of dollars were spent on the search.

"On one day we had eight people who devoted all their time to looking for this individual," Jensen said. "I don't know if that was on overtime or not."

That's a lot of effort, Jensen said, for someone spending a the week camping and fishing.

"(Pam Peterson) told us she got a call from her husband Saturday night," Jensen said. "We were able to call his cell number before he shut the phone off and found out there was more to the story than we were told."

Jensen said William Peterson told Cornelius Police about the spat with his wife, who gave him an ultimatum that included moving out of the house, which he chose to do.

"He called (his wife on Saturday) to see if he was welcome home," Jensen said.

Contacted at her home Monday morning, Pam Peterson said the argument was months ago, although she did tell him he could leave home if he didn't like things there.

"I'd forgotten about it," she said. "But apparently he didn't."

Pam Peterson said she wanted to apologize for the situation, but said she wouldn't have anything more to say about it.

She said her husband was at home Monday morning, in Cornelius.

Jensen said police will always investigate reports of people who are missing.

"But we need the full story from the start," Jensen said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncou ... _taki.html

I wonder if the Police will be mailing the couple a bill for their service in finding the husband.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Man goes missing...well he wasn't actually missing...

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:44 pm

lol, be careful what you yell at people, they just might do it, and freak you out and send the police on a wild manhunt, :lol2:

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 pm

They should press charges on him for wasting police time.

He didn't turn up at work - which means he was 'missing', to everyone except himself, whcih stil lcounts as missing.

She called in a genuine missing person.

He probably thought he was being so clever... sitting there fishing, thinking to himself "ha ha, this will show her".
I identify as
a problem

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:They should press charges on him for wasting police time.

He didn't turn up at work - which means he was 'missing', to everyone except himself, whcih stil lcounts as missing.

He probably thought he was being so clever... sitting there fishing, thinking to himself "ha ha, this will show her".

As far as I know, you can't actually sue a person for wasting your time.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 pm

Yes because the law mandates you must show up to work.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Wilgrove wrote:

As far as I know, you can't actually sue a person for wasting your time.

As far as I know, the police can press charges for wasting police time.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:51 pm

greed and death wrote:

Yes because the law mandates you must show up to work.

I've no idea what you're on about.

The thread title is deceptive - he WAS actually missing. No one knew where he was. He wasn't just absent from home, he was also absent from his other regular venues (such as work)... which means he was legitimately 'missing'.
I identify as
a problem

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:No one knew where he was.

The wife told him that he could move out at any time he pleased, or something to that similar affect. (Up to personal interpretation, of course.) It would seem obvious that telling a person to leave, to remove oneself from your presence in a permanent manner, would include the person you are telling to leave NOT having to disclose where he or she is leaving to, wouldn't you say?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
I've no idea what you're on about.

The thread title is deceptive - he WAS actually missing. No one knew where he was. He wasn't just absent from home, he was also absent from his other regular venues (such as work)... which means he was legitimately 'missing'.

Yeah, but she did tell him to leave, and didnt bother telling the police the whole story about the fight and the reasoning behind his supposed 'missing'...

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:

The wife told him that he could move out at any time he pleased, or something to that similar affect. (Up to personal interpretation, of course.) It would seem obvious that telling a person to leave, to remove oneself from your presence in a permanent manner, would include the person you are telling to leave NOT having to disclose where he or she is leaving to, wouldn't you say?

Which.... is irrelevant.

I'm not saying he had to tell her anything. I'm saying he was a genuine 'missing person', legally speaking.
I identify as
a problem

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:

Which.... is irrelevant.

I'm not saying he had to tell her anything. I'm saying he was a genuine 'missing person', legally speaking.

Possibly, but where the fault lies becomes more complicated when considering that the wife did not give the whole story to the police when she filed the report...

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Which.... is irrelevant.

yeah.

he was missing. no one knew where he was. he didnt leave his wife; he mysteriously left his whole life. how was she to know that he was OK?

and as for the police...geeez are we only supposed to report missing people when we know that they are in trouble? woudlnt that mean that they arent really missing?
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Possibly, but where the fault lies becomes more complicated when considering that the wife did not give the whole story to the police when she filed the report...

read the OP again

His wife, Pam Peterson, said that the argument with her husband happened months ago, and that she forgot about telling her husband he could always leave. Apparently, her husband had not forgotten, she said.

the man was bullshitting when he implied that he had left after a fight where she told him to get out.
whatever

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:

Which.... is irrelevant.

Bitch tells him to leave, he does. She panics and calls the cops to drag him back. How is this not her fault? It's not the first time people have gotten in a fight and one decided to split for a while.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Khadgar wrote:Bitch tells him to leave, he does. She panics and calls the cops to drag him back. How is this not her fault? It's not the first time people have gotten in a fight and one decided to split for a while.

"Bitch" told him he could leave several months ago and he only acts on it very recently. That's how.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Khadgar wrote:Bitch tells him to leave, he does. She panics and calls the cops to drag him back. How is this not her fault? It's not the first time people have gotten in a fight and one decided to split for a while.

Save us both times, and read the OP, and the posts made by the person you're responding to.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:17 pm

Milks Empire wrote:

"Bitch" told him he could leave several months ago and he only acts on it very recently. That's how.

Right - it's an excuse.

Also, even if it had any relevance, he didn't 'leave' her - he absconded entirely.. .stopped going to work, wasn't doing any of his usual things. He was 'missing'.
I identify as
a problem

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:Also, even if it had any relevance, he didn't 'leave' her - he absconded entirely.. .stopped going to work, wasn't doing any of his usual things. He was 'missing'.

That's not criminal offence.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:

Right - it's an excuse.

Also, even if it had any relevance, he didn't 'leave' her - he absconded entirely.. .stopped going to work, wasn't doing any of his usual things. He was 'missing'.

I find her credibility lacking. Regardless you're perfectly free to leave your wife if you want to. There's no legal obligation to call in to work, though they can fire you. You can't charge this guy with a damn thing because he wanted to get away for a few days. If his cell phone was on, and it says it was. Why didn't the police track it? I know they can, so the question becomes why they didn't. Wouldn't of taken five minutes and they've of known where he was within a fair small margin.

I don't feel sorry that the cops are acting hurt that a guy who has fought with his wife to the point where she told him to get out actually leaves.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:30 pm

The damn fool shouldn't have went home.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Luporum
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Luporum » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:55 pm

"It's ok Cornelius; you can cry."

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:

Which.... is irrelevant.

what gets me is the police were too dumb to try his cell phone, before spending money on a search.
I understand he might not answer her.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General