NATION

PASSWORD

Let talk Houses

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Let talk Houses

Postby Wilgrove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:01 pm

So I have been looking at houses in my area, mainly because right now I am saving up for a down payment on one and I hope to buy soon. So I have been watching shows like "House Hunters" and "Property Virgins" on HGTV (shut up), and I have to say, when it comes to a young newly wed, a group of young people, or a young guy, they sometimes buy houses that are $300k+ and I have to wonder how they can afford that. What these people do for a living do factor into this, but even if you are in a high paying position, I doubt you're that highly paid right now. I'd really like to see these two shows go back in like 5 years to see if these young people still own their houses. Isn't one of the reason the housing market took a nose dive is because too many people were buying houses they couldn't afford?

I'm just surprised that people are still doing that, and I'm also surprised that banks are still lending out these kinds of loans.

Also, I do have a tip for those who are selling their home. Take out all the furniture, just leave the house bare. I say this because I've seen some houses on the internet already, and I've turned them down because I only saw what was there, I couldn't see what could be there.

Anyways, leave your thoughts!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Let talk Houses

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Aren't there a lot of good house going very cheaply at the moment in America?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Aren't there a lot of good house going very cheaply at the moment in America?

Yep, which is why now is the time to buy buy buy.

Beachchairs
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Beachchairs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 pm

Leaving the furniture in is often suggested by real estate agents because it makes the house feel homier. It shows that someone could actually live in the house, and is decorativable, etc.

Also house prices vary by region. Vary considerably. You said $300,000 for a house. That sounds like a pittance to me.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Isn't one of the reason the housing market took a nose dive is because too many people were buying houses they couldn't afford?

I'm just surprised that people are still doing that, and I'm also surprised that banks are still lending out these kinds of loans.

Yes that was part of the problem, the reason why they did this was because there was the assumption that house prices would continue to rise, this was partly cause by the reserve bank who despite warnings by some economists keep interest rates low this helped to fuel the asset bubble giving people this assumption. Of course there are a lot of other reasons as well, but to keep in the spirit of NSG we should all just blame Bush.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Aren't there a lot of good house going very cheaply at the moment in America?

No.

Property has been trending back towards a more realistic level after being ridiculously overpriced for many years. It hasn't adjusted far enough, yet... and it might not finish it's adjustment in this economic downturn.

Which means property values now are still way over-represented.

If this market settles now - and those involved directly in the housing market are desperately trying to level it out - anyone buying property at this new level is still going to be stung eventually, when the market finishes this adjustment.

There might be some good houses going 'cheap'. It's certainly not representative.
I identify as
a problem

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Wilgrove wrote:

Yep, which is why now is the time to buy buy buy.

If you have a decent paying job take out a loan, get a fixed interest loan that way you know how much you are going to be paying every month for the next 3-5 years.

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:No.

Property has been trending back towards a more realistic level after being ridiculously overpriced for many years. It hasn't adjusted far enough, yet... and it might not finish it's adjustment in this economic downturn.

If this market settles now - and those involved directly in the housing market are desperately trying to level it out - anyone buying property at this new level is still going to be stung eventually, when the market finishes this adjustment.

There might be some good houses going 'cheap'. It's certainly not representative.

Fair enough, I suppose I have only seen some house prices rather than an average or a trend such as 3 bedroom house I saw being sold by the bank for $10,000

DBC26-Winner

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Isn't one of the reason the housing market took a nose dive is because too many people were buying houses they couldn't afford?

No, not really.

People were buying a product on way too much credit, and thus the values were totally unrepresentative, and totally unsustainable.

This has been building for years.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:No.

Fair enough, I suppose I have only seen some house prices rather than an average or a trend such as 3 bedroom house I saw being sold by the bank for $10,000

That's not strictly speaking accurate - since the bank selling it for 10k doesn't mean it's going to cost you 10k.

That might sound crazy - but you have to bear in mind that what the bank asks you as a price might then open you up to huge amounts of debt which you also assume, and/or huge costs to bring the property to an acceptable level.

In theory, you could buy a 10k house for 10k, then pay off 100k of associated debt, then spend the 90k it costs to get it up to spec...
I identify as
a problem

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:22 pm

Beachchairs wrote:Leaving the furniture in is often suggested by real estate agents because it makes the house feel homier. It shows that someone could actually live in the house, and is decorativable, etc.

Also house prices vary by region. Vary considerably. You said $300,000 for a house. That sounds like a pittance to me.

As for the furniture, really it depends on what furniture you have and how old it is. I've seen houses that still have furniture from the 70s, and to me, that's a big turn off.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:That's not strictly speaking accurate - since the bank selling it for 10k doesn't mean it's going to cost you 10k.

That might sound crazy - but you have to bear in mind that what the bank asks you as a price might then open you up to huge amounts of debt which you also assume, and/or huge costs to bring the property to an acceptable level.

In theory, you could buy a 10k house for 10k, then pay off 100k of associated debt, then spend the 90k it costs to get it up to spec...

I'll give you that I'm not to sure exactly how it works in America regarding the selling of homes that have been forcloused on, I am aware that one can simply hand back the deed to the house and that is the end of your obligation.

DBC26-Winner

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:That's not strictly speaking accurate - since the bank selling it for 10k doesn't mean it's going to cost you 10k.

There are houses on the market in the US, both REO and non bank for $10k. Look at Rochester NY &c. There's no debt to assume if you buy them

Mind you they probably aren't worth $10k. And in any case you can usually just move in in those sorts of neighborhoods and get the Us connected and live there without anyone caring.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:I'll give you that I'm not to sure exactly how it works in America regarding the selling of homes that have been forcloused on, I am aware that one can simply hand back the deed to the house and that is the end of your obligation.

In some cases that's true. But if you have re-fied or depending on the state quite often the bank can come after the mortgagor for the deficiency. They don't usually bother though.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Beachchairs wrote:Leaving the furniture in is often suggested by real estate agents because it makes the house feel homier. It shows that someone could actually live in the house, and is decorativable, etc.

News for them: May work on some, but other people absolutely detest seeing the place cluttered with furniture they simply don't want and will have to go through trouble to get rid of. Stuffed furniture is absolutely terrible for those of us with dust allergies. Can make even just looking a pain. I'm with Wilgrove on this one.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beachchairs
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Beachchairs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:

News for them: May work on some, but other people absolutely detest seeing the place cluttered with furniture they simply don't want and will have to go through trouble to get rid of. Stuffed furniture is absolutely terrible for those of us with dust allergies. Can make even just looking a pain. I'm with Wilgrove on this one.

Get rid of? The other people take it with them when they move. Why would you leave your furniture? Do people not know how expensive the shit is?

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:04 pm

Beachchairs wrote:Get rid of? The other people take it with them when they move. Why would you leave your furniture? Do people not know how expensive the shit is?

I just helped move my grandmother, so I can answer that. Because it's a pain in the neck to move it and it doesn't always fit in the new place. If it's a long distance, it may be less expensive to buy a new piece than to move the old one all the way over. And yes, people don't always bring all the furniture with them, expensive or not.

Beachchairs
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Beachchairs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Beachchairs wrote:Get rid of? The other people take it with them when they move. Why would you leave your furniture? Do people not know how expensive the shit is?

I just helped move my grandmother, so I can answer that. Because it's a pain in the neck to move it and it doesn't always fit in the new place. If it's a long distance, it may be less expensive to buy a new piece than to move the old one all the way over. And yes, people don't always bring all the furniture with them, expensive or not.

And the cheap genes in you don't scream in agony??

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:30 pm

Sitting on the left coast, I watch those shows and marvel that anyone can buy a home for a measly $300k. Median price in my area has fallen a little, but it's still above $700k.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:05 am

Ryadn wrote:Sitting on the left coast, I watch those shows and marvel that anyone can buy a home for a measly $300k. Median price in my area has fallen a little, but it's still above $700k.

Well you gotta keep in mind, I live in North Carolina. Here, 300k house gets you a mansion.

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:48 am

Wilgrove wrote:
Ryadn wrote:Sitting on the left coast, I watch those shows and marvel that anyone can buy a home for a measly $300k. Median price in my area has fallen a little, but it's still above $700k.

Well you gotta keep in mind, I live in North Carolina. Here, 300k house gets you a mansion.

Wish that was the case in here in the triangle. Where in the dogwood state are you looking to purchase?
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 am

Parthenon wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Wish that was the case in here in the triangle. Where in the dogwood state are you looking to purchase?

I'll t'gram that to you. I don't need any NSG stalkers.

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:55 am

We're looking to buy a house at the moment here, and I have to say I definitely prefer seeing them furnished.
Even if it's not the furniture you'd pick, it does give you a better understanding of room size, light, and furnishing options. I never had difficulties imagining our own furniture in the places.
Also, where on earth would you put all your stuff while you wait for your house to sell? I mean, would you want to live in an empty shell for months??? :blink:
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:07 am

Wilgrove wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Wish that was the case in here in the triangle. Where in the dogwood state are you looking to purchase?

I'll t'gram that to you. I don't need any NSG stalkers.

lol, sounds good. I spent most of my childhood in the foothills of NC after moving down from New England. Been in the triangle most of my adult life though for the undergrad, work, and grad school.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Sarkhaan
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarkhaan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:54 am

Yeah, that's more of what I'm used to.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General