NATION

PASSWORD

So... America is an oligarchy now

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:00 am

Northumbria wrote:Arguably, it always has been. Almost the entirety of the Founding Fathers were independently wealthy and very well-connected. That's why the President of the United States (and originally the Senate) is elected by an Electoral College rather than by direct democracy: because the enlightened elite wanted to ensure it was only the enlightened elite took office.


That is very vulnerable to corruption...
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:01 am

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:We had the power before, we can do it again. Bernie Sanders is a nice start, if we keep electing people like him. A huge problem is the media. A HUGE PROBLEM


Remind me, how is Bernie Sanders related to the thread?

Furthermore, the vast majority of US media is going berserk over Sanders. They can't get enough of him.

Yea because he is normal in the rest of the Western world, he is seen as a radical here

Now back to the oligarchy

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:03 am

Is Oligarchy the reason why America is behind of the rest of the first world on so many things, such as education and healthcare?
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Liberty and Linguistics
Senator
 
Posts: 4565
Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:03 am

To answer the OP, an oligarchy is any country controlled by a powerful and wealthy few. While the U.S. does have some very wealthy individuals, we cannot be considered an oligarchy, seeing as the legislative and executive branches make the majority of national decisions.

The closest thing to oligarchy we have is when special interest groups, whether liberal or conservative, have the ability to funnel millions of dollars towards candidates they prefer.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.


Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

User avatar
Helel ben Shahar
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Helel ben Shahar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:03 am

Ketora wrote:
greed and death wrote:It always was, and that is what the Constitution intended.


That's kind of... evil

No its not, its just business! (Puffs cigar) The elite's Natural Right if you prefer.
I don't need factbook, I'm famous.

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 am

Ketora wrote:
Northumbria wrote:Arguably, it always has been. Almost the entirety of the Founding Fathers were independently wealthy and very well-connected. That's why the President of the United States (and originally the Senate) is elected by an Electoral College rather than by direct democracy: because the enlightened elite wanted to ensure it was only the enlightened elite took office.


That is very vulnerable to corruption...

Well back then only the enlightened elite were really the educated ones. Nowadays, a bigger chunk of us are educated even though most of the politics want to stop this trend and make us just smart enough to work for them but not smart enough to rebel

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 am

Ketora wrote:Is Oligarchy the reason why America is behind of the rest of the first world on so many things, such as education and healthcare?

DING DING DING WE GOT A WINNER!

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:05 am

Ketora wrote:Is Oligarchy the reason why America is behind of the rest of the first world on so many things, such as education and healthcare?

If you want to see a true democracy, go to Germany, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Sweeden, Finland. Check them out. Maybe even England... But not by much

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:07 am

Havenburgh wrote:
Ketora wrote:Is Oligarchy the reason why America is behind of the rest of the first world on so many things, such as education and healthcare?

DING DING DING WE GOT A WINNER!


If terrorism was not an issue and people knew about this more, there would be just as many Americans leaving for Europe as there are Mexicans entering America.
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21211
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 am

Ketora wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:DING DING DING WE GOT A WINNER!


If terrorism was not an issue and people knew about this more, there would be just as many Americans leaving for Europe as there are Mexicans entering America.



That seems a fanciful notion.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 am

Havenburgh wrote:
Ketora wrote:Is Oligarchy the reason why America is behind of the rest of the first world on so many things, such as education and healthcare?

If you want to see a true democracy, go to Germany, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Sweeden, Finland. Check them out. Maybe even England... But not by much


Eh... What about France and Italy... is something wrong there?
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
GreatestBanks
Minister
 
Posts: 3314
Founded: Mar 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby GreatestBanks » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 am

Ketora wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:DING DING DING WE GOT A WINNER!


If terrorism was not an issue and people knew about this more, there would be just as many Americans leaving for Europe as there are Mexicans entering America.

I doubt it lol.
Americans hate Europe. Europe is seen as the anti-freedom, anti-work, lazy fags of the world (by most americans)
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.
Political Spectrum
Right: 0.63
Authoritarian: 2.62
Foreign Policy: 6.57(Neo-Conservative)
Culture: 7.17 (Conservative)


♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
Notice: I use NS Stats for everything other than population and GDP.

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 am

Valaran wrote:
Ketora wrote:
If terrorism was not an issue and people knew about this more, there would be just as many Americans leaving for Europe as there are Mexicans entering America.



That seems a fanciful notion.


yeah, the oligarchs would not ever let that happen
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21211
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:10 am

Ketora wrote:
Valaran wrote:

That seems a fanciful notion.


yeah, the oligarchs would not ever let that happen



Sure, these mysterious oligarchs. I can see their clammy hands of evilness everywhere *nods*
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:10 am

GreatestBanks wrote:
Ketora wrote:
If terrorism was not an issue and people knew about this more, there would be just as many Americans leaving for Europe as there are Mexicans entering America.

I doubt it lol.
Americans hate Europe. Europe is seen as the anti-freedom, anti-work, lazy fags of the world (by most americans)


That's only because as I said... America is behind the rest of the first world in education, and the media makes us only care about people from this country
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:11 am

Valaran wrote:
Ketora wrote:
yeah, the oligarchs would not ever let that happen



Sure, these mysterious oligarchs. I can see their clammy hands of evilness everywhere *nods*


You probably can't see them... but they can see you *cough*NSA*cough*
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:11 am

Ketora wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:If you want to see a true democracy, go to Germany, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Sweeden, Finland. Check them out. Maybe even England... But not by much


Eh... What about France and Italy... is something wrong there?

Italy XD and a lot dont enter France because France is not exactly... Welcoming to foreighners. Also less and less Mexicans are coming through the border because their own country is getting better as our country is getting worse. Experts say Mexico is supposed to be on par with European countries in 50 years

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:13 am

GreatestBanks wrote:
Ketora wrote:
If terrorism was not an issue and people knew about this more, there would be just as many Americans leaving for Europe as there are Mexicans entering America.

I doubt it lol.
Americans hate Europe. Europe is seen as the anti-freedom, anti-work, lazy fags of the world (by most americans)

And why is that? Because the media tells you that. Because they dont want you going there. They want you here, where you have less power and can pay you cheaper.

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:13 am

Havenburgh wrote:
Ketora wrote:
Eh... What about France and Italy... is something wrong there?

Italy XD and a lot dont enter France because France is not exactly... Welcoming to foreighners. Also less and less Mexicans are coming through the border because their own country is getting better as our country is getting worse. Experts say Mexico is supposed to be on par with European countries in 50 years


Oh yeah, I forgot, Italy went the way of Greece
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:14 am

Ketora wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:Italy XD and a lot dont enter France because France is not exactly... Welcoming to foreighners. Also less and less Mexicans are coming through the border because their own country is getting better as our country is getting worse. Experts say Mexico is supposed to be on par with European countries in 50 years


Oh yeah, I forgot, Italy went the way of Greece

Nah greece went full stupid with their neo Nazi's. Italy has not gone full stupid

User avatar
Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21211
Founded: May 25, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Valaran » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:14 am

Havenburgh wrote:lot dont enter France because France is not exactly... Welcoming to foreighners.


I don't see how that makes it not a 'true' democracy. You have unusual criteria.
our country is getting worse.


Economically, what is not the case. Socially, it is getting more progressive as well. So on what basis would you say that this is true?

Experts say Mexico is supposed to be on par with European countries in 50 years


Most of us here will be in our 60s or 70s then, just to put this in context. Half a century is no short amount of time, and Mexico had a much greater start than, say, South Korea.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

User avatar
Helel ben Shahar
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Helel ben Shahar » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 am

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:To answer the OP, an oligarchy is any country controlled by a powerful and wealthy few. While the U.S. does have some very wealthy individuals, we cannot be considered an oligarchy, seeing as the legislative and executive branches make the majority of national decisions.

The closest thing to oligarchy we have is when special interest groups, whether liberal or conservative, have the ability to funnel millions of dollars towards candidates they prefer.

And those Legislators and Admins make up a rather small proportion of the total population. When you think about it, it is delegation of authority because the oligarchs don't have the time or will to mess with petty local decisions.

With regards to special interest groups, there always has been interest groups, (in the past they were called privy councils) its how leaders are chosen. The leader pays them off/promises plunder, and if the interest group don't get paid, the leader gets 'fired'. You can think of them as the Board of Directors with the leader as CEO.

"In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to another."-Voltaire
I don't need factbook, I'm famous.

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 am

Valaran wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:lot dont enter France because France is not exactly... Welcoming to foreighners.


I don't see how that makes it not a 'true' democracy. You have unusual criteria.
our country is getting worse.


Economically, what is not the case. Socially, it is getting more progressive as well. So on what basis would you say that this is true?

Experts say Mexico is supposed to be on par with European countries in 50 years


Most of us here will be in our 60s or 70s then, just to put this in context. Half a century is no short amount of time, and Mexico had a much greater start than, say, South Korea.

Okay we are no longer talking about true democracies, but immigration. And yes we will be older, but their is a thing called a new generation

User avatar
Ketora
Attaché
 
Posts: 76
Founded: Nov 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ketora » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:17 am

Valaran wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:lot dont enter France because France is not exactly... Welcoming to foreighners.


I don't see how that makes it not a 'true' democracy. You have unusual criteria.
our country is getting worse.


Economically, what is not the case. Socially, it is getting more progressive as well. So on what basis would you say that this is true?

Experts say Mexico is supposed to be on par with European countries in 50 years


Most of us here will be in our 60s or 70s then, just to put this in context. Half a century is no short amount of time, and Mexico had a much greater start than, say, South Korea.


good god, he was right about Mexico,
infact... Immigration might start to reverse
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ff-mexican-immigration-20151118-story.html
Did you know the only country who has a higher percentage of people in jail than America... Is North Korea?

☭☭Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a Communist or a Socialist!☭☭
I'am also a furry

User avatar
Havenburgh
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1910
Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Havenburgh » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:17 am

Valaran wrote:
Havenburgh wrote:lot dont enter France because France is not exactly... Welcoming to foreighners.


I don't see how that makes it not a 'true' democracy. You have unusual criteria.
our country is getting worse.


Economically, what is not the case. Socially, it is getting more progressive as well. So on what basis would you say that this is true?

Experts say Mexico is supposed to be on par with European countries in 50 years


Most of us here will be in our 60s or 70s then, just to put this in context. Half a century is no short amount of time, and Mexico had a much greater start than, say, South Korea.

Also "more progressive" yet far behind the rest of the world still. Our "progressive" is far right wing in Europe

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aggicificicerous, Camelone, Eahland, Pasong Tirad, Port Caverton, Riviere Renard, Shazbotdom, The Front Range, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads